Exiled Cadre (Tau Project Log)

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
I'mriel
Shas

Exiled Cadre (Tau Project Log)

Post#1 » Sep 20 2013 01:08

Hello ATT, It's been a long time since I've posted here but seeing all the wonderful new interest in Tau because of 6th edition, I thought I'd throw my hat into the ring and show you what I have been working on.

This is my commander, honestly one of the more extensive conversions I have ever done.

and a close up of his Onager Gauntlet/Fusion blades

I hope you guys enjoy these wip pictures.

*Edited for title change*
~Prepare to Drop

Lyi'ot
Por'O
Por'O

Re: Exiled Cadre (Tau Project Log)

Post#2 » Sep 20 2013 03:39

I love your conversions, and your highlights/drybrushing really creates a slightly worn look -- which goes with your "exiled" theme, assuming that that's actually the unifying conceit behind your army, and not simply a cool adjective in the thread's title!

MODELGLUE Eio'Y
Kor'El
Kor'El

Post#3 » Sep 20 2013 04:20

Whoa, Seriously nice work.

It looks like your Commander has attitude to spare. Good to see this, consider it filed in my inspiration folder.

modelglue

O'Ka'mesa
Fio

Post#4 » Sep 21 2013 01:56

I really like that commander, the pose combined with the paint scheme and conversions done on the model all work to give the character a lot of personality. Any chance of getting some WIP pics or maybe a rundown of the conversions you used for the commander?
We must master ourselves before mastering our enemy.

I'mriel
Shas

Post#5 » Sep 21 2013 07:51

Hey guys, thanks for the wonderful replies.

Here is another shot of the commander (prior to basing)
The parts I used to create him are the head, feet and thrusters from the new Farsight model, the body-legs-shield come from the forgeworld xv-9 commander. The arms, plasma rife, head(combined with the Farsight head) hands and base for the onager gauntlet come from the crisis enforcer model. The shoulder optics come from commander Shadowsun's drones.

Here is my first completed Firewarrior
And here he is with my wip Crisis team.
~Prepare to Drop

Biddo
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#6 » Sep 21 2013 10:47

modelglue wrote:It looks like your Commander has attitude to spare. Good to see this, consider it filed in my inspiration folder

I did the same thing :D The conversions and the paint scheme make for one mean looking commander! Nice work.
Want your crisis suits to have hands? try my guide

Aldarion
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#7 » Sep 23 2013 07:32

This is a great color scheme!. That commander really looks bad. You do a great job! :eek:
Training in clonetrooper training center BS3!, ja!

davidmournestar
Shas

Post#8 » Sep 23 2013 10:38

Crap! You did exactly what I was planning on doing for a standard crisis suit. XV9 body, farsight boosters, tau commander arms. I like the legs though, That I was going to use the bottom torso of the commander piece and farsight legs with xv9 legs. Good to know what I was thinking about other people have done. The thing just looks SOOO imposing. Kudos.

Out of question what did you make the Onager gauntlet/fusion blade out of?
Meliora Cogito!

I'mriel
Shas

Post#9 » Nov 15 2013 04:51

It's been a while since work and classes have kept be busy but I do have some small progress to share on the army.

First, I finally got my Copy of The Farsight Enclave Supplement and it is Gorgeous! :D I would be happy to post a picture review if anyone is interested in that. Additionally, I have a bunch of new additions to the Cadre on the way so expect a few more updates down the road.

@davidmournestar, because the Onager gauntlet is described as a "gauntlet" I knew that I wanted it to wrap around the the the forearm of the Battlesuit.

The parts I used were: Command and control node from Crisis enforcer as the base for the device, Fusion blaster fuel cell to replace the node on the C&C, the part the wraps around the forearm is actually a slice of the fuselage of an old Veritech fighter model I've had laying around the house. The blade itself is a 'cut to shape' portion of that Veritech models Wing, Hope this all helps.

On to the work in progress Pictures:

The first of a 6 man stealth suit team.

More Firewarriors on the way

Finally, the riptide that is eating up most of my hobby time! Again, I'm terribly sorry that I have neglected this thread and look forward to your comments on the Cadre.

Cheers.
~Prepare to Drop

InquisitorFelix
Shas

Post#10 » Nov 15 2013 05:03

Correct me if I'm wrong, but your sept symbol is the Destiny logo yeah?

Loving your work so far btw, I am infatuated with the commander!

I'mriel
Shas

Post#11 » Nov 15 2013 05:09

@InquisitorFelix, Yeah my sept symbol is definitely inspired by the Destiny logo. When I saw it, it just looked so perfect for tau. In my cadre's background I'm using it as the Vior'los sept symbol. The 3 spokes of the tricorn are for each of Vior'los' principal cities while the middle indent represents the saline ocean surrounded by the contiguous landmass.

I think it works :)
~Prepare to Drop

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#12 » Nov 15 2013 05:21

Solid work, love how the Riptide seems to stand in phased shadows as you work across the chassis painting haha. :)

Your commander is an intimidating model - nice bit selections!

- Tael.

tripwire
Shas

Post#13 » Nov 26 2013 06:31

that is a rock-solid commander. Fantastic use of multiple kits to makes something unique.

-trip

I'mriel
Shas

Post#14 » Dec 03 2013 12:42

I've been pretty happy with the work I did on my commander but certain things about it kept putting me off. So, I decided to redo all the little things that bugged me. Usually when I try to rework a model, I end up ruining it by tinkering too much, but in this case I know when to say enough is enough and I am quite satisfied.

I decided to turn to one of my favorite pieces of tau-related artwork for inspiration and I hope that certain aspects of the art have come through in my commander redesign. http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs13/f/2007/089/1/2/Farsight_and_the_Eternal_Dawn_by_IgnusDei.jpg

So I present to you my now completed Commander Dawnspear, leader of my Enclavite Cadre from Vior'los.
A few things have been changed here. The head was inspired by the Commander Farsight artwork, the chest power supply has been changed to be less reminiscent of Gundam and Ironman. Finally, the Onager gauntlet/Fusion Blade has been lengthened and altered as I felt in its previous state, it would have been to unwieldily to use in close combat.
A side view to show the Vior'los sept symbol and the change in weapon. I have now magnetized his left arm slot for weapon swaps.
A rear shot, showing the addition of vectored retro thrusters as the legs alone seemed to spindly to support the massive torso of the battlesuit.

Thanks for checking in, more updates to follow.
~Prepare to Drop

Lone Strike
Shas

Post#15 » Dec 03 2013 01:47

I remember finding that pic on a google search, really love your commander . Excellent use of parts. He looks very intimidating! You nailed the head I must say. I totally understand when doing conversions, when things "bug" you... You just keep adding or subtracting things. I find myself placing random bits all over the model until something looks good. Keep up the good work!

I'mriel
Shas

Post#16 » Dec 12 2017 10:15

I've been away from Tau for a long Time. I Lost motivation, mostly due to starting Horus Heresy.

But Seeing as I have nearly completed my XV Legion Army, and having played them using 8th Edition Thousand Sons rules, my eyes have wandered back towards Tau.

I've never completed a Tau Army.

And I've learned a lot over the last few years, including modeling, airbrushing and thinning (That Took me embarassingly long to correct)

I've been in this hobby since the Tau were first unveiled in 2001, in fact they were what drew me into Warhammer 40k, and so now, having completed what amouns to a 10k point army, I finially have the determination to do them properly.

Here are the first new miniatures on my rebooted Tau Cadre.

The break was long, but I hope you'll agree that it was for the Great Good.
~Prepare to Drop

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#17 » Dec 12 2017 10:58

Welcome back I'mriel! Your Thousand Sons look truly extraordinary. I hope you enjoy (re-)painting your Tau as much as you did the Horus Heresy models. You'll find that a lot has changed with the Tau since 2013, but the community is as active as ever and we have plenty of new toys.

I must say, your converted Commander looks beautiful. Will you be re-painting it too to match your new white color scheme?

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#18 » Dec 21 2017 03:24

Indeed welcome back and great new models, the HH pieces are particularly good! :)

Return to “Project Logs”