[Project Log] DeathProofs' Bork'an 13th Expeditionary Cadre

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
DeathProof
Shas

[Project Log] DeathProofs' Bork'an 13th Expeditionary Cadre

Post#1 » Oct 06 2013 12:07

Hi there!

I'm a long time browser and fan of ATT but have never posted before. I'd like to change this by showing you some pics of my Bork'an cadre. First of all though I'd like to explain that I've had my Tau army since Tau were first released and do not yet own many of the newest releases, so my army might sound a little basic. Here is a run down of what I have in my Cadre, I do have more models than this but this list is what I'm aiming to paint over the coming winter period (It gets cold and miserable where I live during winter so I like to do a lot of painting!).

Shas'o with 2x body guard
3x Crisis Team
3x Crisis Team

4x 10 man fire warrior squad
4x Devilfish
1x Sensor Tower

2x Pathfinder Squads
2x Devilfish

2x Tetra

2x XV104 Riptide Battlesuits
1xXV109 Riptide Battlesuits

3x Hammerheads
3x Skyrays
3x Broadsides

1x Orca Transport

1x AX-10 Tigershark

3x A.D.N.
1x V.S.G.
1x Bastion

This army at first glance might not look very tactical and I am aware that the heavy support is overloaded but sometimes I swap out the broadside team for an extra hammerhead (making it 3 Hammerheads). So far I have undercoated the entire army and got most of the base colours and washes done.

The photos below are of my first nearly complete model, one of the fire warrior Devilfish. There is still some work to be done on it but if you have any comments please share them with me.

I think when I paint the other Devilfish I'll make them a little less weathered. The general idea behind my Cadre is that they have been cut off from resupply for sometime and are being forced to use (very Tau-like) hit and run tactics, so all the armour is battered and bruised.

I hope you enjoy these pics, there will be more over the coming months as I get my teeth stuck into this project.

DeathProof
Last edited by DeathProof on Aug 01 2016 05:40, edited 7 times in total.

Lyi'ot
Por'O
Por'O

Re: [Project Log] DeathProofs' Bork'an Cadre

Post#2 » Oct 06 2013 12:11

That is a beautiful looking Devilfish, though I can see why you might make the next one a little less weathered -- there's so much weathering that it looks like a camo scheme! Not that that's bad; the final product looks great. I particularly love the Tau writing on the hull, what I can only assume are warning signs.

Vash
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#3 » Oct 06 2013 12:29

Well that is a nice piece right there!
But I will agree with Lyi'ot. It is weathered to much.
But I have gone down that road myself before. It is easy to overdo it the first time around. But it is good practice.

I would keep the weathering to the very exposed edges and some impact hits here and there.

DeathProof
Shas

Post#4 » Jan 27 2014 10:04

So I've finished painting a bunker for my army! It fits the theme of being pretty weathered and beaten. I've also been working on finishing my other 9 devilfish/Hammerhead hulls, SMS and engines. I've taken loads of photos to turn into a tutorial. I hope you enjoy the photos :)

DeathProof
Last edited by DeathProof on Aug 01 2016 05:46, edited 3 times in total.

Marcema
Shas

Post#5 » Jan 27 2014 02:41

Awesome painting! I'm lovin' it:D

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#6 » Jan 31 2014 07:00

That is one nice looking bunker. It's getting me all fired up about making some terrain my self (again), now if I can only find some room to store it! :fear:

DeathProof
Shas

Post#7 » Feb 19 2014 06:06

Hi guys,

Thought I'd add some more pics of terrain that I've painted for my Cadre.

Here is my A.D.N. equivalent, I plan on having a total of 3 of these but I'm struggling to gather enough Railguns and Hammerhead turrets together... I'll get there one day! I also plan to have a few Sensor Towers to give them a little buff (like they need it!).

DeathProof
Last edited by DeathProof on Aug 01 2016 05:47, edited 3 times in total.

Bonsai Master
Shas

Post#8 » Feb 19 2014 07:53

I saw the post about the generator and thought that it was a stock photo with pro painted D-fish. But you sir are a pro painter and am pleased to see that this is your work. Please don't hold back on the weathering for the next one. I am of the opinion that weathering makes minis look much more real and an army of weathered minis creates a realism that really gets players immersed into their games much more so than fresh looking troops. Someday I hope to be on your level.
For the greater good

DeathProof
Shas

Post#9 » Feb 20 2014 05:37

Thank you Bonsai Master, That is the nicest thing anyone has said to me so far on ATT... Have an imaginary awesome medal! I am working on a tutorial for this technique (about 50% finished), it is incredibly easy, has a great result and doesn't use an airbrush, oil paints for weathering powders. Just paint and washes!

Yeah, this devilfish is turning into a bit of a "that guy". You know that guy, he's the guy you see all the time around where you live, you don't know his name, he just keeps popping up all over the place!

DeathProof

Bonsai Master
Shas

Post#10 » Feb 20 2014 02:06

Looking forward to the tutorial! Make sure to post a link in this thread so that I can find it later.
For the greater good

Minigiant
Shas

Post#11 » May 18 2014 03:02

Your weathering is incredible! I am curious how you made your terrain?

DeathProof
Shas

Post#12 » May 24 2014 04:15

Minigiant wrote:Your weathering is incredible! I am curious how you made your terrain?

Thank you very much Minigiant, I've almost finished my tutorial so you'll be able to copy it soon, if you wish.

The terrain is cast resin from a silicone mould. The mould was made from a 3D print of a CAD drawn design. I sell the terrain on my website, in my signature.

DeathProof

DeathProof
Shas

Re: [Project Log] DeathProofs' Bork'an 13th Expeditionary Cadre

Post#13 » Jun 19 2015 09:12

Ive been working slowly on the 13th Expeditionary Cardre. Now I have a goal to work towards, ATT in the City:Nottingham 2015.

The Plan is to get the whole core of my army (all of the units listed on the first post of this thread) completely painted and ready for action! I'm doing quite well, I only now have to add weathering to most of my units. I'll post updates over the next 4 weeks and then pictures from ATT in the City of my cadre on the lovely tables at Warhammer World.

As always, comments and constructive criticism welcome.

Recently Finished V.S.G. for my cadre.

DeathProof
Last edited by DeathProof on Aug 01 2016 05:48, edited 1 time in total.

Macknight
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#14 » Jun 19 2015 01:16

Nice scheme! The bunker looks good, but the ADN needs work, right now its too obvious that its a HH turret on top. I did a ADN with 2 rails and on the skyray turret instead.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=16485&start=0
For the greater good!

DeathProof
Shas

Post#15 » Jun 19 2015 04:33

Macknight wrote:Nice scheme! The bunker looks good, but the ADN needs work, right now its too obvious that its a HH turret on top. I did a ADN with 2 rails and on the skyray turret instead.

http://advancedtautactica.com/viewtopic ... 85&start=0

Yes I agree, I'm not happy with the ADN either, though as explained in the post I don't have the right bits to make up the turret. I really like your design, I have a spare SkyRay turret in pieces so I might give it a go!

DeathProof

Co'da
Shas

Post#16 » Jun 19 2015 05:15

The heavy weathering looks great. It does almost look like camo, but I think that works perfectly, for cut off guerrillas like the 13th.

The power generator's looking very nice and iconic, too!

DeathProof
Shas

Post#17 » Jul 05 2015 09:00

Recently finished up another Hammerhead hull. I've my entire Cadre is out for painting over the next few weeks so hopefully I'll be posting lots more pics, I want to only post up pictures of completed models on this thread... I can't wait to show you all my Riptides :fear:

On a side note I've brought some 32mm bases and I'm going to re-base my Stealth suits. They look so much better on the large base, it really helps to make them look less top heavy. I also finished building and base coating my Orca Dropship, I added some LED lighting inside the hold which is looking pretty sweet.

DeathProof

Return to “Project Logs”