Orange Sun Sept - Deet's WIP of awesome things

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Deet
Shas'La

Orange Sun Sept - Deet's WIP of awesome things

Post#1 » Oct 25 2013 12:34

Hello ATT,
I've been lurking on this site for a good long while and haven't said all that much yet. Figured I'd introduce myself formally by way of a showcase thread. I started in the hobby a little under a year ago in November of '12. I've had some experience building and painting in the past, but the Tau are my first army. I'm up to about 2000 points painted (and probably another 1000 in cellophane...*sigh*). I learn a ton each time I paint, but its pretty slow going with the usual busy life complaints.

Enough griping, let's see some pics!

As the name of the thread suggests, my army is orange. Why? I like orange, and I figured it'd be a challenge to paint and not have it look cheesy. But rather than kick straight in to the serious orang-ocity (and mostly because I haven't taken good pics yet) I'm going to start with my Kroot. I love me some Kroot. Like many of you, one of the main reasons I chose this army was the ability to paint armor and flesh, mechanical and natural, all within the same army. Shame they nerfed my boys in the new codex, but I'll keep em going anyway because somehow they always perform better than I expect them to. These guys were the second unit I ever painted back in January. Looking back, I'm still pretty happy with them.

Excited for my first post. Looking forward to feedback and suggestions. Oh, and can I start the lobby now for a Kroot emoticon? Tau'va!

I'm going to keep posting here, and also at my friend's blog http://thehammerofwrath.blogspot.com where I'm more likely to put up WIPs, etc. Those pics will also be bigger (not sure if you can get the full size here or...) Thanks ATT!
Last edited by Deet on Oct 01 2014 12:13, edited 1 time in total.

Deet
Shas'La

Re: Orange Sun Sept - my ongoing Tau army project

Post#2 » Oct 26 2013 01:34

OK, as promised, the orange tide is unleashed. Here's my first vehicle, my Hammerhead usually helmed by Longstrike.

White is a sign of rank in my army- on shoulder pads of squad leaders and on the "shoulders" of this Hammerhead as well.
Looks like I forgot to put the sensor array on here, but everything is magnetized so it can go Devilfish, Hammerhead, or Skyray.
I like this Tau sept logo- works well for my army with the hot desert planet vibe
Oil wash-y goodness:

I was pretty nervous about having this big a block of such a hot color (we've all seen those pics of people's armies and thought "why man, why"), but I think it actually turned out pretty well. Looks great on the gaming table. In the future, I may throw some camo in to break it up, but for now, I'm enjoying the audacity of it.

I'll throw this up on the blog later this week so you can see bigger pics.

modelglue
Kor'El

Post#3 » Oct 26 2013 04:24

Those are pretty hot alright! :D

I like the scheme but I would be tempted into using the Tau Sept colour (I can't be bothered with learning the new colour chart names, I still have a full collection of the old paint on hand) of vomit brown to make camouflage out of glob shapes. Is the grey colour you have on your tank the shadow grey shade? It looks blue-ish but it could be the orange pulling a complimentary tone out of it.

I like the kroot as is, there is something about the way you have them painted that resembles a tropical bird.

Back to the armour, your rendition of longstrike really amplifies the scheme you've chosen. I've taken notes. :)

Kru'ger
Shas

Post#4 » Oct 26 2013 10:39

Loving the bright colour scheme! The grey really complements it too.

Will be watching this one :)

Thanks
Jason

Deet
Shas'La

Post#5 » Oct 26 2013 11:29

Thanks guys. The grey is indeed bluish. Ashen Blue from Reaper. The orange is GW Trollslayer.

WideGrasp
Shas

Post#6 » Oct 26 2013 11:45

This is very nostalgic. Orange with some grey was my very first paint scheme when I started playing Tau 12 years ago. Of course, this paint job you have here is of much higher quality
"Once more, back into the fray"

timb6ea
Shas

Post#7 » Oct 26 2013 11:59

Very nice. I really like your Longstrike. Good detailing all around.
Will Flak'O for food.

Deet
Shas'La

Post#8 » Nov 05 2013 04:54

Finally took pics of my XV8 Commander. This was my first HQ model, and first attempt at conversion. I'm sure the topic has been beaten to death on these forums, but man is the stock pose lame! Wasn't all that much work to give him a more dynamic pose. I love the conversion part of the hobby. Painting is tough for me to get in to a rhythm on- get too impatient.

He's fully magnetized- both arms and shoulders, with all weapon and accessory options. Being one of my first models ever and never having played a single game at the time, I wanted to give myself as many options as possible. I think this is also my first attempt with the freehand sept markings. Man, I really wish I had done my sooting with the airbrush. Will have to fix that one day, as well as add some more highlights.

More pics, high res, and commentary on my blog if you're curious. Link in the sig below.

ARC'Thunder
Shas'Vre

Post#9 » Nov 05 2013 05:58

Deet wrote:I love the conversion part of the hobby.
Many of my friends consider that a Tau player trait. Tau players love conversions.

Anyways, you've done a phenomenal job pulling off that bright orange scheme. Everything seems crisp, clean and consistent and you have some fine attention to detail. I'm looking forward to more.

Che Gue'vesa
Gue'El

Post#10 » Nov 06 2013 05:46

You know, when I started, I also had an Orange scheme, I really like your work and now I miss my orange models ...

Kobal
Shas

Post#11 » Nov 06 2013 07:25

Wonderful clean paint job there! Looks striking from a distance (not least because of the colour!), and there's still plenty to see on closer inspection. I do like the pose on that XV8 too. Simple conversion, but very effective. I like very much. :)

Deet
Shas'La

Post#12 » Nov 06 2013 02:53

ARC'Thunder wrote:Many of my friends consider that a Tau player trait. Tau players love conversions.

I'm with ya. Once that google image search took me to Tael's page, I knew I was in the right place.

Kobal wrote: Looks striking from a distance (not least because of the colour!)

Yeah, I really love how these look on the battlefield. Even in a bad cell phone pic, they pop really well. Takes cojones to wear orange in to battle! Bring it on, 'nids!

Deet
Shas'La

Post#13 » Nov 20 2013 04:27

Finally took some pics of my fire warriors. This was my first unit ever. Like the scheme, but room for improvement on the technique!

Hi res versions on the link in my sig.

Falling behind on my Tau. Need to get something new started. Hmm. what to do next? More Pathfinders or Broadsides?
Last edited by Deet on Nov 20 2013 07:16, edited 1 time in total.

Jakk93
Shas

Post#14 » Nov 20 2013 04:38

I am really impressed with your colour scheme ! bright ornage is hard to pull off, but i think you have done it well !

keep up the good work !

Jakk93

tripwire
Shas

Post#15 » Nov 26 2013 06:20

The pics don't really do the models justice. I've seen that XV8 commander up close and he looks awesome. (doesn't usually come into battle until it's too late, and can't actually hit anything when he does come in, but still, he looks great doing it.) * ahem *

-trip

Vorkah
Shas

Post#16 » Nov 26 2013 06:47

You know, one guy i really like is that guy who is lying down, like the old metal rail rifle pathfinder model. I think he looks really nice, and I think that would be a fun conversion to do- could you post a close-up on that guy? I'd really like to get a better view on that. Also your painting overall is really well done, and as orange is my favourite colour, i am just in love with this army. Good job and keep up the good work!!

Deet
Shas'La

Post#17 » Dec 01 2013 01:51

Hey Vorkah,
I don't have access to my photos at the moment, and my models are packed up due to a move. There is one close up of that model on my blog (check the sig). I'll try to grab a few better pics of it for you soon. I have mixed feelings on that model. I like the look, and it was a pretty easy conversion, but he makes it tough to pack models close together. The board I usually play on has a lot of raised platforms and pathways. What is a Tau to do? Not like I'm going to stand on the ground like a sucker.

Thanks for the encouragement, guys. Need to unpack and get back to it!

Deet
Shas'La

Post#18 » Dec 03 2013 02:33

Here's a couple close-ups on that prone FW. I've been playing with him for a year and never noticed until now that I never painted his top knot! :eek:

Don't know that I'd even call this a conversion. Just gluing his arms and head on at a different angle.

Man, these closeups make me want to paint another FW squad! Painting skills have grown a lot in a year. I'd like to think I can do a lot better now.

Return to “Project Logs”