Ancillus Colony and Cadre[Pic Heavy]

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
O'Da'Cova
Shas

Ancillus Colony and Cadre[Pic Heavy]

Post#1 » Jan 24 2014 12:06

Hey all, just wanted to both post some pictures and get some feedback on my Tau project. I'm relatively new here and though this would be a good way to get more integrated into the community.

A little background on the Cadre:

Ancillus (as it is known to the Imperium) is a world of strange dichotomy. While the brown-red rocky terrain may at first appear arid and desert-like, the world is actually humid enough that snow manifests even during the day. The cold yet moist air has led to a strange combination of flora and fauna, and the small Tau settlement has been making the most of this unique biome to test new agricultural platforms. Research was going well until an Imperial Explorator splinter made planetfall a few miles distant from the primary Tau outpost. After distress calls were sent, the relatively young O'Da'Cova, who had just returned from a training exercise on Vior'la was dispatched with a hastily assembled response team of available units.

I'll start off with my Fire Warriors:

Cadre Fireblade and Darkstrider conversion:

Stealth Team:

Converted Sniper Drones and converted Firesight Marksman:

Objective Markers and Converted Recon Drone:

Pathfinders:

O'Da'Cova and bodyguards (all the weapons are magnetized):

The start of the Ancillus outpost:

Some WIPS (Riptide, Shaper, Converted HGD, weapons for a Farsight Conversion and another Crisis suit):

Fun facts about my Tau: I'm creating a sub-theme where all my converted characters and centerpiece models are Captain Morgan-ing on defeated enemies.

The banners on O'Da'Cova get added to for intersting in-game stuff that occures. For instance she has slain a Chaos Warlord in Close Combat (Without an OG) and Killed Kharn.

For kicks, my Dark Angels Successors, the Angels of Truth:

Questions:

Does the color scheme seem to fit the terrain? Are the bases conveying the description I have of Ancillus, any obvious modelling no-no's I made? If you need more/better pictures of something in particular let me know!

I am aware the photos weren't done studio style, but this was kind of short notice.

Thanks in advance for the feedback!
Last edited by O'Da'Cova on Feb 10 2014 04:24, edited 1 time in total.

O'Da'Cova
Shas

Re: Ancillus Campaign First Response Cadre [Pic Heavy]

Post#2 » Jan 28 2014 07:25

An update, as well as a shameless self-plug.

Some "Hrud" Pathfinder conversions, the weapons here are designed to be proxy Ion Rifles or Rail Rifles as my list dictates. They're made from half of a pulse rifle, the crisis suit flamer and half of the photon grenade.

The rest of the of the unit:

I also used a different photography method but I think the lighting still needs work.

EDIT: Here is with a different lighting angle and a closer shot. I think this worked better, but I'm pretty sure I need a stronger more focused light.

Last edited by O'Da'Cova on Jan 29 2014 12:21, edited 1 time in total.

Sa'cea Mont'yr
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#3 » Jan 28 2014 10:59

Hey, there, thanks for sharing!

Overall, it seems as if you've got a fairly decent grasp on painting, though it seems a little thick. Though seeing your Riptide, it looks like you've learned quite a bit and only need to do some tidying up on the panel lines once you're done. You're right, the lighting does need some work; it's difficult to see a lot of the detail in your photos and as such it's difficult to give the kind of feedback you're looking for.

If you could get the lighting situation fixed, I think you'd get a lot more input and feedback on your models. That being said, that's a lot of Marines, something I hope to equal someday when I've got a lot more time. For now, I'm concentrating on finishing my Tau models, but it's always nice to have inspiration.
Shas'el Sa'cea Cal'Ka Mon'tyr

CoffeeGrunt
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#4 » Jan 29 2014 09:21

Some cool idea. I have to be honest, the lighting and photography isn't doing your models justice. I know how hard it can be to take a good shot of your hard work!

I hope you don't mind if I steal a few ideas from you. I really like the idea of your Stealth Suit's "phasing in" paint scheme, and those Hrud Ion Rifles. I've been trying to think of something I could proxy as a Neutron Blaster, and I think I've found it!

O'Da'Cova
Shas

Post#5 » Jan 30 2014 01:33

@Mont'yr: Thanks, and you're right I have been told I paint a little thick, I've been working on using thinner paints. Also, it is over 125 Marine models, plus give or take 7 tanks, 2 Dreadnoughts, One drop pod (working on a second and a whirlwind conversion), 6 Bikes and 2 Speeders fill it out. I'm expanding the Terminator portion of the force. As it stands it is slightly over a codex complete battle company with support elements minus anything flyer oriented, which will change soon.

@Coffeegrunt: Thanks for the kind words! I need to clean up the lines on the stealth suits, they're not as smooth as I would like, but I'm glad you like the idea. Also, thanks for noticing the Hrud rifles, they came on a whim. Please steal anything you find you like!

To continue to build this post, here is a side project, Drone Fire Warriors, step by step (minus pictures for some of the steps):

Start with a gun drone, don't attatch the part that holds the pulse carbines. Instead file the bottom flat and attach a piece of sprue that runs the center length of the drone just under 1 in. long, perpendicular to the front.

Next, cut four equal lengths of sprue, about 3/4 in. Use a file with a square corner edge to create notches in one end of each piece.

Attach these notches pieces to the corners of the first piece that is on the bottom of the drone. They should all jut out at about a 45 degree angle from the drone. Then attach any round piece to the end of each, these will be your "joints." Finally cut four more pieces of sprue that are straight, about 1 in. Attach these to the other part of the joint, so they form the legs. Make sure they are angled inwards enough to contact the 25 mm base. The final result of this step should look like:

I wanted to bulk up the drone a little to make it look more imposing, so I used plasticard to beef up the legs:

I attached three short pieces to the back and side facings of the legs, and along piece to the outward facing portion:

Then I added joint pads:

Finally, side panels to hide the join lines to the sprue pieces, with the finished product looking like:

The pulse rifle is attached to the main piece of sprue from underneath, you can use one of the extras or a clipped one from an arm, either works.

The riptide is almost done, will post pics soon!

O'Da'Cova
Shas

Post#6 » Jan 31 2014 03:13

The Riptide is finally complete, and it's going over to my local hobby store today for army judging for our builder league. Cleaning up the panel lines took forever, and the next most time consuming thing was the shield. I need a finer brush to get a better lighting effect, as the corona wasn't as luminous as I wanted, but I think for now the lightning is fine.

Here are some pics, hope you all enjoy!

Next up will likely be more work on the Tau city, my Farsight conversion, or a bunch of Fire Warrior Drones, I'm not sure yet, but I have so much stuff in the works that was on hold for the Riptide that I have to figure out where to start. Let me know if any of you think I should do something in particular first.

O'Da'Cova
Shas

Ancillus FRC (update)

Post#7 » Feb 03 2014 05:04

So I submitted my army for the builder league painting competition and funny enough I won by one point. To be fair there were better painted models than mine but they didn't include certain specific criteria like a campaign conversion or a box that was part of the league, so I managed to snake the win by adhering more closely to the rules. The result: a free Hammerhead!

The Hammerhead is now at the front of the project list, and I intend to do a spray camo technique that I want to test. I've already magnetized the weapons, both on the front and on the turret, that way I can use it as a skyray, Hammerhead or Devilfish as the case may be.

Some WIP pics:

However, I did get distracted by another project. I found the miniature still unpainted in the blister in the castoff bitz box and one of my "things" is i like to rescue miniatures and convert them. I have a secondary chapter of space marines called the Order Tempest and I thought this model would be a perfect counts as Marneus Calgar. This was my first foray into multi-layering, and more extensive highlighting. I think it went well:

That said, I'm hoping to paint the Hrud pathfinders this week.

O'Da'Cova
Shas

Re: Ancillus Colony and Cadre [Pic Heavy] UPDATE

Post#8 » Feb 10 2014 04:31

Hey folks, those of you watching. Today i spent most of the day working on the 4x6 terrain board to represent Ancillus. The fluff has changed a little (mostly to suit some modeling ideas) to that of a far removed colony world where the Tau have successfully swayed the local humans to the Greater Good. This allows me to use "human" terrain features for portions of the board as well as get some mroe interesting models for Gue'vesa and Count-as models. Anyway, here's the developments:

The Board itself. Made from a first layer ivory satin spray, second lay sporadic red oxide primer paint, third layer desert stone spray. Then while the texture paint was still wet I dprinkled baking soda liberally to represent snow. I sealed it with Valspar flat clear spray sealer.

Next I arranged some of the terrain I had already made, plus paper terrain I made up to see what it would look like. The board definitely needs a lot more to fill all the empty space. I intend to have roads down as well as more buildings and smaller accents.

Hope you guys like it!

O'Da'Cova
Shas

Re: Ancillus Colony and Cadre[Pic Heavy]

Post#9 » Feb 25 2014 11:17

Hey folks, been a bit since an update, but that Hammerhead I won is coming along nicely. I tried a spray camo method using painters tape. It didn't come out QUITE as nice as I was hoping, and the wash helped hide some of the imperfections, but the result is acceptable for me.

Here it is so far:

I'm also working on some Aegis counts-as stuff and more scatter terrain for the table. These are barricades available for fairly cheap from Warsenal, who makes a lot of great looking MDF terrain.

They're barely started on the painting front.

O'Da'Cova
Shas

Post#10 » Mar 18 2014 07:13

Hey folks, been awhile since an update, mainly because I picked up a starter box for Malifaux and I also spent a ton of time refining my painting technique. Here's some updated pics of the table and a few very simple building WIPs:

Overall:

Close-up of the defensive position so far:

The main bunker WIP, I'm still adding details:

The statue I made before, now with a holo-display courtesy Warsenal:

Bonus, the Malifaux gals I've been working on:

Any comments, criticisms or concerns are appreciated!

Question about the table overall, do you guys buy the red/white look from the table compared to the bases on the Tau army miniatures? Do they match "enough" that the table thematically ties in? Also, thoughts on the paper terrain, is it too odd looking? I intend to eventually phase it out but for now it seems to be holding place well.

Thanks in advance!

O'Da'Cova
Shas

Post#11 » Mar 28 2014 12:06

Short update, I wanted a way to store my magnetized weapons in a scenic manner, so I came up with this little piece of scenery made from discarded bitz, an extra drone who acts a minder, another holo-screen (i have like 6 more so they'll be popping up a fair bit) and the plastic holder to a bracelet my girlfriend bought. Each part of the ring is lined with cheap strip magnets.

Without anything on it:

With weapons:

O'Da'Cova
Shas

Post#12 » Apr 08 2014 11:33

While there is no process portion to this update there has been a big change to the table. I managed to get a friend who works at a print center to do a high quality gloss 110lb cardstock print of one of World Works Game's PDFs (Outpost 105 I believe it is called) and spent a few days putting most of it together. I imagine the way the table is set up now it repersents the edge of the hive city outskirts touching against the creeping Tau settlements that have begun to spring up around Ancillus Prime (you'll understand better if you've been reading my Ya'bork'suam - Darkshatter's War Log story found here > http://www.advancedtautactica.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=22113. So here we go:

O'Da'Cova
Shas

Post#13 » Apr 21 2014 03:34

Hey all, earlier in the thread I showed some progress pics of my Farsight conversion, well it's done! I also needed a secondary way to deal with hell-turkeys (Helldrakes) as my local meta runs a lot of them. I usually slap a Velocity Tracker on my riptide, but sometimes he has juicier targets, so enter my scratch built Stealth Drone Fighter. Also, two pictures of previously unfinished Firesight Marksmen in here, the one with the binoculars is just a spare Fire Warrior that I ended up using as a FSM, but when he ended up putting a markerlight on a squad of charging Khorne Beserkers that ended up in allowing my over-watching units to annihilate them I gave him a "promotion" by adding another hair braid and marking his thigh armor, so now he's always in the squad. Also at the end, some other Malifaux oriented projects I was working on during this time.

Questions, comments and concerns welcome as always!

O'Da'Cova
Shas

Post#14 » Jul 06 2014 03:18

Hey all, sorry for the long hiatus. I have been inundated with non-Tau projects and such. This is a no-picture update but I will say I have a custom done ethereal finished that just needs to have pictures taken, and I'm looking forward to receiving my Ranger's Project: Salamamder Kickstarter campaign mech miniature soon, so when that is done I'll post pictures as well.

Vash
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#15 » Jul 06 2014 03:34

Sorry to have missed this thread. Lots of good stuff going on here.
I specially like your first Sniper drone Marksmen conversion. Never really thought of using a stealth suit head for the marksman. Well done.

I also like that you are trying to create a unique Tau force with all your conversions. But I would like to see, in the future, some green stuff in gaps. Example is the Riptides head.

Oh and a tip for future picture taking, don't use a red background. They can reflect red tones onto your model, giving us an incorrect visual of your models. Use white (normal paper is fine) or a black background. If white is to reflecting (can be some times) and black is to dark for you, use something in between, like grey.

Will be checking in now and then to see for any other updates. Keep up the good work.

O'Da'Cova
Shas

Post#16 » Jul 07 2014 10:21

Hey all, just showing that Ethereal I was talk about before. The arms and cape are made from three pieces. I'm honestly not sure what they're from but it's some kind of fantasy mini. There is writing on the inner cloth, which I'm not sure you can see, but one part says Tau'va and the other says Tash'var. Enjoy!

Also @Vash: Thank you very much for your interest. Your point about the green stuff is well taken. The head of the riptide is actually ironically a poor example because if you look at in person the head is supposed to be divided down the middle like that, but there are plenty of other places where I need to learn to green stuff. I don't have any currently but I plan on getting some soon to make use of it. I JUST got an airbrush that my dad had squirreled away (an original but pristine Badger 250) so i'm going to start experimenting with that soon.

Return to “Project Logs”