Tau Orca Project - Scratch Built

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Dobbo84
Fio

Tau Orca Project - Scratch Built

Post#1 » Feb 18 2014 12:38

Welcome Tau Players, Here goes my first topic here...

After reading a several Tau Orca Build Logs from here and other sites I noticed they all missed something... they all had no interiors!, So I decided to build and share my experiance here with a number of pictures to show the building progress and hopefully answer any questions that you may have on the way through.

This Tau Orca Drop ship is as close to the FW version size as I can guess the fuselage is 21.5 inches long and 6 inches wide, big enough to fit in 48 fire warriors and drones or swap out som FW's for Crisis Suits.

I've decided to go with an easy to obtain and use material, Balsa. for the floors and walls ive used a 6mm thickness, to assist it holding its shape while drying i eused some tooth picks
ImageImage
Once nice and dry I cut out some

front nose cone shapes thats I could mould wood buppt on afterwards
ImageImage

Now it was time to apply several layers of easy to sand wood putty - This is a timely process as you want to make sure its 100% dry before applying a second/third coat
ImageImage
ImageImage

As Promised this build would have a working interior - Here is the start of the Command Centre and removeable Roof
ImageImage
ImageImage

So for now this is where it is up too, Im hoping to get the engines started this week, I've ordered some large flat magnets to hold the engines in place and rotate with some smaller magnets to lock the engines in a rotational place (from VTOL to Flying mode). I also have some diferant size Styrene sheets coming from ebay for making the roof details, engines and internals.

Still trying to figure out how i will make the underneath weapons both usable and to be stowed... If anyone has any suggestions it would be great!

:fear:
:fear: For The Greater Good :fear:

Vay
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: Tau Orca Project - Scratch Built

Post#2 » Feb 18 2014 12:48

Very cool, if you need anything sized I can use my Orca.
For some Orca discussion and pictures:http://advancedtautactica.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21540
Shas'O Kais Vay Shone’nan

Dobbo84
Fio

Post#3 » Feb 18 2014 01:01

Hey Vay, Funny you replied, your Orca is one of the pictures that got me in to building one!
Some sizes would be great as all I can go of is the pictures out of the Imperial Armour Vol 3 2nd Ed book and what I see online.
How did your interior come out and how did you connect the flying stand?

Vay
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#4 » Feb 18 2014 02:24

The inside is a work in progress, I will take a picture later. The flight stand is also probably going to need a picture. Its VERY hard to get a good seat area and balance the weight of the model.

Drill points:

Inside:
Shas'O Kais Vay Shone’nan

Dobbo84
Fio

Post#5 » Feb 19 2014 08:09

Looks really good I'm going to see if a flight stand from a tau flyer can be used, might need a little weight added to support such a large flying vehicle

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#6 » Feb 19 2014 10:52

Dobbo84 wrote:Still trying to figure out how i will make the underneath weapons both usable and to be stowed... If anyone has any suggestions it would be great!

Use small magnets, iron washer and wooden cylinders like that (forgive the speedy modelling):

Basically, you take one of two of the largest washer you can find, you adapt (glue/screw) wooden cylinders with the same size (sand them if necessary)
Then you take 2x 2 to 6 small magnets to stick the turret at the right height (number of magnet equal to the strength needed to maintain the turret without falling) and put them in holes in a round box that will keep the turret axle free of movement (PVC tube, plain wood cube drilled at the size of the axle, ...)

Just an idea...

Dobbo84
Fio

Post#7 » Feb 22 2014 03:18

Kael'yn wrote:
Dobbo84 wrote:Still trying to figure out how i will make the underneath weapons both usable and to be stowed... If anyone has any suggestions it would be great!

Use small magnets, iron washer and wooden cylinders like that (forgive the speedy modelling):

Basically, you take one of two of the largest washer you can find, you adapt (glue/screw) wooden cylinders with the same size (sand them if necessary)
Then you take 2x 2 to 6 small magnets to stick the turret at the right height (number of magnet equal to the strength needed to maintain the turret without falling) and put them in holes in a round box that will keep the turret axle free of movement (PVC tube, plain wood cube drilled at the size of the axle, ...)

Just an idea...

That's a brilliant idea, thanks for the post and pics! It's a really nice design and I will look on to it

Dobbo84
Fio

Post#8 » Feb 22 2014 03:30

So a slight update, the styrene has came in and I've gotten started on the detailing. Still waiting for the magnets and I've still got to build the engines. I think these will be the hardest out of the build
URL] Image

Dobbo84
Fio

Post#9 » Feb 22 2014 03:40

Image Image

Patchoro
Shas

Post#10 » Feb 22 2014 06:14

Wow, I am very impressed.
I was a bit skeptical when this thread started, but progress looks good!
I really like the way you managed to get the front of your Orca smoothly curved.
As always, the devil will be in the details huh?

Dobbo84
Fio

Post#11 » Feb 24 2014 08:44

Just a minor update, some extra detailing done, just started on the weapon system, then the engines.
Image Image

Chris in the socal
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#12 » Feb 24 2014 10:59

I have to say at the beginning I was really questioning whether this would really be possible and look so clean. I have to say you are making me a believer. You should keep track of your cost to see how little you really end up spending.
TAU Record 9-2-4

Is That A Sunfish? (Coming Soon)

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#13 » Mar 01 2014 05:38

Have to say I agree with Chris, it will be interesting to track costs and I'm admiring your work for keeping things smooth and carefully designed.

Xauk
Shas

Post#14 » Mar 01 2014 07:24

Really nice to see a good scratchbuild log men! The build looks superp. the detailing very clean. ill keep my eyes open for this one.
Xauk

Dobbo84
Fio

Post#15 » Mar 04 2014 06:51

Hey guys, thanks for the great comments! If only done a little in the last few days as we have just had our second boy on the 25/02/14 so a bit of family time since. I've done a little on the weapon system and will hopefully have some new pics up soon :-) stay posted!

CoffeeGrunt
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#16 » Mar 04 2014 07:23

Congratulations on the newborn! I don't think any of us will resent you for paying attention to a new addition to the Greater Good. You are gunna raise him Tau, right? :P

I have to admit, when I first saw this project starting out, I thought, "yeah, they'll probably get the shape down, and for a fraction of the cost, but it won't have any detail.

Thanks for proving me wrong, because I really wanna scratch-build one of these for giggles.

Dobbo84
Fio

Post#17 » Mar 08 2014 08:12

Had a great 3000pt game of Tau Empire vs Chaos SM's today purge the Alien... Won by a small thrashing of 16 pts vs 8 pts sorry Ryan (brother)! :biggrin:
So I've got most of the weapon system complete on the tau orca and some additional detailing on top I will post some pics in the next few days after I've built the engines.

Dobbo84
Fio

Post#18 » Mar 14 2014 09:26

A small update on the Tau Orca Project, I've started on the four engines and got the basics done on the underneath weapon.
The engines are been held on by some 20mm diameter magnets on the inside and the weapon system is still basic but it will have a sliding panel like the true model does as magnets and other systems seem just to hard... To late now but I could have made the weapon magnet on and remove and placed on a decorative cover aswell...
Anyways here's some pics
ImageImage

The new bub is going great his name is shas'o Benjamin

Return to “Project Logs”