Tau Orca Project - Scratch Built

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Dobbo84
Fio

Re: Tau Orca Project - Scratch Built

Post#11 » Feb 24 2014 08:44

Just a minor update, some extra detailing done, just started on the weapon system, then the engines.
Image Image
:fear: For The Greater Good :fear:

Chris in the socal
Shas'Ui

Post#12 » Feb 24 2014 10:59

I have to say at the beginning I was really questioning whether this would really be possible and look so clean. I have to say you are making me a believer. You should keep track of your cost to see how little you really end up spending.
TAU Record 9-2-4

Is That A Sunfish? (Coming Soon)

Tael
Fio'O

Post#13 » Mar 01 2014 05:38

Have to say I agree with Chris, it will be interesting to track costs and I'm admiring your work for keeping things smooth and carefully designed.

Xauk
Shas

Post#14 » Mar 01 2014 07:24

Really nice to see a good scratchbuild log men! The build looks superp. the detailing very clean. ill keep my eyes open for this one.
Xauk

Dobbo84
Fio

Post#15 » Mar 04 2014 06:51

Hey guys, thanks for the great comments! If only done a little in the last few days as we have just had our second boy on the 25/02/14 so a bit of family time since. I've done a little on the weapon system and will hopefully have some new pics up soon :-) stay posted!

CoffeeGrunt
Shas'Ui

Post#16 » Mar 04 2014 07:23

Congratulations on the newborn! I don't think any of us will resent you for paying attention to a new addition to the Greater Good. You are gunna raise him Tau, right? :P

I have to admit, when I first saw this project starting out, I thought, "yeah, they'll probably get the shape down, and for a fraction of the cost, but it won't have any detail.

Thanks for proving me wrong, because I really wanna scratch-build one of these for giggles.

Dobbo84
Fio

Post#17 » Mar 08 2014 08:12

Had a great 3000pt game of Tau Empire vs Chaos SM's today purge the Alien... Won by a small thrashing of 16 pts vs 8 pts sorry Ryan (brother)! :biggrin:
So I've got most of the weapon system complete on the tau orca and some additional detailing on top I will post some pics in the next few days after I've built the engines.

Dobbo84
Fio

Post#18 » Mar 14 2014 09:26

A small update on the Tau Orca Project, I've started on the four engines and got the basics done on the underneath weapon.
The engines are been held on by some 20mm diameter magnets on the inside and the weapon system is still basic but it will have a sliding panel like the true model does as magnets and other systems seem just to hard... To late now but I could have made the weapon magnet on and remove and placed on a decorative cover aswell...
Anyways here's some pics
ImageImage

The new bub is going great his name is shas'o Benjamin

Mpori Ebatoi
Shas

Post#19 » Mar 15 2014 02:01

Wow man! Awesome work! Seeing your post makes me want to build my own Orca. Hey, have you build other tau models from scratch? Anyway, congrats! I'll be ceratinly following your updates. Nice and clean work! Great!

By the way, could you explain furthermore on how you made the engine rotating system please?
Genuinely unaffected by warping mazes

Dobbo84
Fio

Post#20 » Mar 16 2014 12:16

Cheers for the good comments, to answer your questions... This is my first scratch built vehicle, I've made some alterations to previous ones but that's it.
The engines are been held in place by two magnets one on the inside of the engine and one in the housing. So far the engines hold in place fine but I'm planning on placing some small ones around the outside to make rotation locking points

I marked the place where the magnets were going in pen and the cut the balsa in a grid pattern then scratched out the depth I then superglued the magnet in and then placed a wooden cap over it to ensure once built the magnet can't come out! Also these magnets where very high stregnth, probably a little two strong to be placed on the outside.

Return to “Project Logs”