Sanguinius Army Project Log

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Sanguinius
Shas

Sanguinius Army Project Log

Post#1 » Feb 21 2014 12:21

Hello everyone!

I am a new member but I have been reading and lurking for quite a while before officially joining. I have seen some beautifully painted armies and very creative project logs so I thought I would create a project log myself. The feedback will be useful and it will help keep me motivated to paint/build. Alright, first up is my Skyray and Hammerhead.

Skyray and Hammerhead

You can see that I painted the doors/hatches as a power source glow. It is somewhat of a theme throughout my army. I imagine that the Hammerhead and Skyray sacrificed the ability to transport troops for more power ;) If I paint some Devilfishes I will probably paint the doors a bit different. I may also go back to these to do some highlighting and battle damage at some point, but for now I am happy. Also I realized I may have used a different red on the viewpoints so I will fix that.

Bonsai Master
Shas

Re: Sanguinius Army Project Log

Post#2 » Feb 21 2014 12:50

I'm impressed with the white that came out really clean considering you probably primed in black. For the glow effect it you should tone down the sharp transition between the white and blue. Try blending to get lighter and lighter shades using thinned paints to apply a thin coats to get the desired effect.

Highlights will make that D-fish pop and become a great focal point for your army. Right now it looks like a brand new sky ray fresh of the earth caste assembly line. Once you get the battle damage on there it will be a veteran.

I was also thinking that because you have black as a primary color you might consider doing your panel lines in a cool accent color. like that glowing blue color. That would define panel lines much more as you cant see them too well where the black meets the grey. Just an idea.
For the greater good

Sanguinius
Shas

Post#3 » Feb 22 2014 01:31

Riptide

Hi again. I just finished highlighting my riptide. Ideally once I highlight the rest of my models they will look similar to this. It's not perfect, it's splotchy in places because it was painted twice and my highlights are a bit thick, but I am happy with it. This is the standard I want most of my models to reach. I think it looks good, but it also doesn't take me weeks to paint.

You can see I have the same Iron Man-ish blue glow on the chest and the shield, which is a theme throughout my army. You probably noticed pretty quickly that I attached both of the main weapon options. In the past I have only played with my brothers and we like to do conversions and such, so many of my models aren't WYSIWYG. But I am finally branching out and preparing to play at my FLGS so I am in the process of breaking down and magnetizing models with the goal of reaching somewhere around 90% WYSIWYG. Unfortunately, I just wasn't confident I could detach the both weapons without breaking something, so this big guy gets to keep his extra gun. I did manage to magnetize the twin-linked fusion blasters though :D.

I was thinking about adding some Tau sept markings and I am contemplating purple but I am not sure it would "pop" enough. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Sanguinius
Shas

Post#4 » Feb 22 2014 01:40

Bonsai Master wrote:Highlights will make that D-fish pop and become a great focal point for your army. Right now it looks like a brand new sky ray fresh of the earth caste assembly line. Once you get the battle damage on there it will be a veteran.

I was also thinking that because you have black as a primary color you might consider doing your panel lines in a cool accent color. like that glowing blue color. That would define panel lines much more as you cant see them too well where the black meets the grey. Just an idea.

Thanks for the input. I think you are right about the panel lines where the grey and black meet. Do you think highlighting with the light grey like I have on the riptide would look good here? I am not too sure about using blue.

CoffeeGrunt
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#5 » Feb 22 2014 03:34

Someone else who built their Riptide dual-wielding!

I'm liking the paint job, but as others have said it's very understated. A splash of colour to make it pop would go a long way.

Sanguinius
Shas

Post#6 » Feb 22 2014 04:31

CoffeeGrunt wrote:Someone else who built their Riptide dual-wielding!

I'm liking the paint job, but as others have said it's very understated. A splash of colour to make it pop would go a long way.

Yeah I love the dual wield look! Hopefully people don't give me a hard time for not it not being WYSISYG. I think I could add some color through some sept markings, any color choice recommendations?

android325
Shas

Post#7 » Feb 22 2014 11:09

Looking really good! If anything, I'd suggest maybe a red highlight somewhere on the xv104 similar to the skyrays.
Mostly for my good.

CoffeeGrunt
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#8 » Feb 23 2014 01:16

I personally used Sycorax Bronze on the large, circular metal pieces. Really helped break up the Greys I use and make it stand out some more.

A Splash of red on the lenses would also help.

Bonsai Master
Shas

Post#9 » Feb 26 2014 11:53

I think that if you are unsure about painting the panel lines blue you could try the grey highlights that would be a good experiment to do and can't hurt your paint scheme as you have already done on that sick Riptide. That is how I am going to model mine by the way.
For the greater good

Sanguinius
Shas

Post#10 » Feb 26 2014 10:28

I added some splashes of red to parts of several models. I thought it might compliment the red missile pods on the crisis suits and the seeker missiles on the sky ray. I'm not sure if I like it or not though, so I am curious to hear what people think. I can always paint it back to grey. The crisis suits aren't done, but I wanted to show the red missile pods with everything else. I am in the process of magnetizing everything so you can see some places where I've recently removed other weapons.

Bonsai Master wrote:I think that if you are unsure about painting the panel lines blue you could try the grey highlights that would be a good experiment to do and can't hurt your paint scheme as you have already done on that sick Riptide. That is how I am going to model mine by the way.

I like the way the highlights turned out on the riptide so I will probably highlight edges and panel lines on all my models eventually.

Sorry if my close ups are a bit blurry!

Deet
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#11 » Feb 26 2014 11:38

I like the red actually. I think you could get away with more. What would really help them pop though is some of the white decals, especially on the tanks.

Moriar
Shas

Post#12 » Feb 27 2014 09:33

For what its worth, I like the red on the Riptide the most. I am not convinced with either the Hammerhead or Crisis suits, and I think that is because it appears to be an after-thought. With the Riptide getting a few marks here and there but throughout the model, it brings all the red parts together into the whole. With the gun barrel being the only red part of the Hammerhead, it stands out quite a bit and the Crisis suits have the same problem.

Again, that is my take on it. I really like the Riptide though...
The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps

Sanguinius
Shas

Post#13 » Mar 08 2014 04:31

Moriar wrote:For what its worth, I like the red on the Riptide the most. I am not convinced with either the Hammerhead or Crisis suits, and I think that is because it appears to be an after-thought. With the Riptide getting a few marks here and there but throughout the model, it brings all the red parts together into the whole. With the gun barrel being the only red part of the Hammerhead, it stands out quite a bit and the Crisis suits have the same problem.

Again, that is my take on it. I really like the Riptide though...

I actually agree. I am going to go back and add some red panels to the Hammerhead and Skyray. I want to add more red to the Crisis suits but I am not sure where yet.

I added more red to my Riptide and I must say I really like it and I am much happier with the direction of the color scheme.

I finished some Fire Warriors and a Cadre Fireblade. I use white as a symbol of status so my infantry (Fire warriors and Pathfinders) won't have any white. The paint job on the infantry is a lot less detailed, but thats typical for me. I generally spend more time on the big models and work a bit faster on the small models to keep me sane since there are so many.

In other news, I finished magnetizing pretty much all the models I set out to magnetize and I reached my WYSIWYG goal!

Moriar
Shas

Post#14 » Mar 09 2014 12:07

For your crisis suits and the red question:
I would suggest adding it to some of the smallish panels on both the legs and the torso of the crisis suits. Possibly swap the white shoulder pad panel for red, and use the red for rank patterns on the leg panels ala the brown for the T'au sept in the codex, keeping white markings as your sept markings. You also have some smallish panels on the underside of the pectoral section of the suits that could be used, and various parts of the arials as well.
The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps

Sanguinius
Shas

Post#15 » Mar 14 2014 01:14

Piranha

Here is the latest addition to my cadre. I really like the way it turned out. Eventually I will add one or two more.

SaidtheActress
Shas

Post#16 » Mar 14 2014 04:01

Wow that Riptide looks great! I'm loving the piranha as well, the grey edge highlights really make both models stand out. Have you tried highlighting the black panels as well?

Overall I think the scheme works very well, but IMHO I would like to have more distinction between the white areas, especially the large panels like the Crisis suit helmets. Perhaps on the antennae you could darken between the panel joins, like you did on the Fireblade's knee armour, or start off a more grey/off white colour and have pure white as your final edge highlight?

Keep up the great work!
All for Tau'Va

Return to “Project Logs”