Jungly Taus from Fal'shia. Possum's Army

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Adamaknight
Shas

Jungly Taus from Fal'shia. Possum's Army

Post#1 » Mar 09 2014 10:33

Ohai.

I've decided several things, one of them being to actually finish building an army and, after being in the hobby for about 12 years, to actually play my first ever game of Warhammer.

So with that in mind I dug out my Tau, the first 40K models I ever bought, and started repainting them. Actually that's the simplified explanation but will suffice. The full explanation includes a Carnosaur-Hellhound and a lot of flamethrowers.

A theme was the first thing needed; who are my Tau, where are they from and where are they fighting. And thus, the Jungly Taus were born.
Basically I set out to make a small Tau force as the allies for my intended Imperial Guard army but I realised the Tau are too awesome to be allies. They must be a full army, for the awesomeness. So I'll be building up a full Tau army using almost exclusively GW/FW parts so I'll be welcome to go to Games Workshop and play the game.

They're still planned to go alongside an Imperial Guard force, so the backstories tie together somewhat. These Tau were off to spread the Greater Good to a jungle/forest planet but ran into an Ork fleet on the way, crashed on a forest moon not called endor and joined up with the humans to smack some ork face. Little bit more detail after fun stuff

Enough talk, I have some pictures!

Some Fire Warriors. The painting is done but the bases need some work.

They will be made to match the bases on these:
Pathfinders.

I've always loved Tau since my first delving into WH40K (Dawn of War). There are two things I don't like about them, and those are the cereal-boxes-and-sellotape guns and the shoebox-and-sellotape XV8's. So, I decided to replace the guns with something more appealing (at least to me) but keep almost everything else the same. Hopefully then I won't get chased out of GW for being a heathen. I also wanted to painting to be fairly simple so I don't get bored and can build a decent force in the time I have. Being from Fal'shia I shouldn't have a problem explaining away the non-standard weapons :P

I'd welcome feedback and suggestions on improving these guys :D

A little more on the theme and background:
The story runs a bit like this: the Tau were making peaceful contact with an Imperium world to bring it into their empire. They left for a bit to give the humans time to decide. During this time the humans were split and had a bit of a civil war over it, with the loyalists winning out. The Tau sympathisers were sent to a prison on a nearby moon. Orks found the planet and slaughtered everyone, then shot themselves off into space looking for more planets. At this time the Tau were returning to see what the humans had decided, bringing two Mantas full of soldiers to... ah... encourage anyone who decided wrong. They flew right into the Ork fleet and engaged them but during the fight both Mantas were shot down and crashed on the moon. The Tau allied with the surviving human prisoners to defend the downed Mantas until they could be repaired and fly everyone away.

To this end I'm aiming for an army light on the vehicles and battlesuits to begin with. I'll be posting an intended army list soon and would really welcome feedback and help refining it!
See all my mini painting on my website

Deet
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Jungly Taus from Fal'shia. Possum's Army

Post#2 » Mar 09 2014 11:00

Really nice paint job, man. Certainly strange seeing FW without their pulse rifles, but I do like the energy clips you've painted on the guns. Also like the glow you've put on the backpacks. I attempted something similar on my first squad and was considering skipping it on the second go-around. I think you've convinced me to try again.
While I like the idea of jungle bases, I think the big plastic plants you'll find a little obtrusive when you start playing.
Looking forward to seeing more!

Moriar
Shas

Post#3 » Mar 09 2014 11:25

Normally I am pretty good at bitz ID, but what are those rifles from? I feel like I have seen them somewhere from a 3pp, but cannot place which one. I like the way they look, and the painting is great.
The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps

Adamaknight
Shas

Post#4 » Mar 09 2014 11:38

Yay! Praise! :D

I agree the plants are probably over the top, I'm making them mostly quite a bit smaller. Those two Pathfinders happened to have the biggest plants of the squad and get painted first.

If I make some scenery using the same plants then maybe my opponent will confuse the models for more scenery and not shoot at them and... and... teehee.

The rifles are from Anvil Industries and I can't praise them enough! The quality is outstanding, the delivery time was amazing and the pricing is really good. I've got a certain rifle picked out for Pulse rifles, another for Pulse carbines and a big heavy one for Ion/Rail rifles. No more Kellog's sponsored weapons for my Tau :D
Anvil Industries

Now, my suspected army list, for the first 400-500 points, is something like this:

Commander Shadowsun
12 Fire Warriors
12 Fire Warriors
10 Pathfinders with 3 Ion Rifles or Rail Rifles
Broadsides with 2x Missile Drones each

I *think* that gives a fair mix of pew pew, marky mark, boom boom and sneaky commander tank smacking, at least for what I'll be facing against another 500 point army. Am I way off base here?

From there I'm intending to have a Commander with Drone controller, missile pod and Cyclic Ion Blaster to join the broadsides, 2x Bodyguard teams, stealth team and kroot squad.

Adamaknight
Shas

Post#5 » Mar 18 2014 05:42

Rawr!

I've been working on my replacement crisis suits, because I hate the XV8. Run into a quandry, though, and would appreciate some feedback!

I'm working on a test model atm, to be a crisis bodyguard with two missile pods and a support system. I'm not entirely sure on where I want the missile pods attached, though. Three options I'm considering, as shown here:

First is held under the hands. In this case I'll have fists on the hand and sculpt some handles so it looks like he's holding two big missile pod guns.

Second is attached at an angle on the jetpack, though I'm not really sure on this. It makes the whole thing seem unfittingly bulky in width...

Third is mounted on top of the jetpack, which leaves the hands free. In this case I was thinking of putting a plasma rifle held in the hands just as a looks-cool option.

Opinions please? :biggrin:

De'terra
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#6 » Mar 18 2014 08:15

That Crisis Guard looks awesome!
I have to say, I'm not a fan of the pods on the shoulder.
It makes the model look off with the smooth curves of the current exhaust.

I really like how you made the XV89 helmet in green stuff there.
Any chance of a closer picture? :)

I would vote for the handheld missile pods. No doubt about it.

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#7 » Mar 18 2014 08:27

Great work and you are right that the Anvil rifles make a huge difference and I can second that they have great quality kits as I have been known to shop there too :P

For your alternative suits the best one for me is the under arm version although the ML looks far too big for the model as the body is really thin compared to the XV8 blocky look. You could try turning them through 90° in the same way as the old XV88 arms. It may help a little or use the XV8 3er missile pod as it is slimmer.

Adamaknight
Shas

Post#8 » Mar 18 2014 09:02

Rawr!

Thanks for the feedback! Pretty much confirmed what I was thinking, the underarm feels most balanced given the rather large jetpack on the back. I think you're also right about them being too wide El'Mo. I've tried them sideways:
and it seems to fit much better. Improvement?

I'm quite pleased with how the head came out too De'Terra :D I was going for somewhere between the ForgeWorld suit and an enlarged Fire Warrior helmet. Closer and better pictures:
I need to add some lenses to the front part and smooth off a couple of bits but in all I'm pleased, although the thought of trying to make 4 more look exactly the same is somewhat daunting!

On a progress front, I've got the first twelve Fire Warriors painted now and just need to finish basing. For that I've bought some smaller fake plants to go with a slightly more subtle base. The big leaves I was using are proving, as someone above predicted, a P in the A. I'll no longer be painting them, as the paint doesn't adhere particularly well and is prone to chipping. On the plus, that means basing will be a quick and easy affair, which is what I was originally aiming for!

I've got my Shadowsun model built and undercoated, ready to paint, though I'm in two minds about how to go about it.
On the one hand, pure white fits with the lore and will make for a striking model but... stealth suit! It just seems wrong to paint the leader in her stealth suit in bright white! I'm torn over this one and it's making me put off starting.

I've also recently and unexpectedly come into a pair of Hammerheads, so the Jungly Tau have suddenly got themselves two Heavy choices ;D I'm going to do these up so they can be played as Hammerhead, Skyray or Devilfish. Also gonna work out a way to magnetise the Hammerhead's guns. Along with the Hammerheads I found myself with a second set of Stealthsuits, so I now have all six to form a full unit of those. Elite choice, check!

So, quick tally:
Shadowsun (unpainted)
Ethereal (leftover from long ago)
Commander (unbuilt, will be another wraithblade conversion)
2x Bodyguard (1 half built, as shown. Other not started)
2x Bodyguard (as above)
6x XV25 (unstarted)
12x Fire Warrior (painted)
12x Fire Warrior (unpainted)
10x Pathfinder (5 painted)
1x Piranha (leftover from long ago)
1x Hammerhead (undercoated)
1x Hammerhead (unpainted)
1x Broadside (leftover from long ago)
many, many Kroot, 2 Krootox, 3 Kroot Hound, 1 Shaper, all unstarted

Adamaknight
Shas

Post#9 » Mar 20 2014 01:21

Rawr!

Just a quick progress check today. Been finalising parts of the XV8 replacement, just need to add a Fal'Shia sept symbol to each missile pod and add some wires coming out of the pods and into the suit and I'm pretty set. Oh, and add some lenses to the pods somehow maybe...

Also given a couple of XV25's weapon swaps. Never been a fan of the giant weapon hanging under one arm look. There's nothing there to support it except Tau muscle and, as we well know, they don't have much of that! So, smaller weapons held in both hands. Tricky posing given the big bulky suit but it gave me the opportunity to address another gripe - no right hand and the left one screwed up inside a shoebox. Now they have hands, actual useful hands! Whoopie! One on the right is the squad leader and has a fusion baster which I'm not satisfied with, one in the middle has what will be my burst cannon replacement.

Thanks for looking, and please leave some feedback or criticism :P

cunneen
Shas'Saal

Post#10 » Mar 20 2014 08:28

Great conversions, I agree with you on the one armed use of weapons on the stealth suits looks a bit too unwieldy. :P

Just wondering if your replacement burst cannon is custom made or a part? and if it is a part where from as it looks awesome :D
The patient blade strikes deepest...

Adamaknight
Shas

Post#11 » Mar 21 2014 03:31

The minigun is from MaxMini.eu product here. It's also where i got the giant jetpacks for the crisis suit.

A few spots that'll need repair where things have been clipped from the sprue before sending them but, other than that, the quality is pretty excellent.

Adamaknight
Shas

Post#12 » Mar 27 2014 11:30

Rawr!

Despite the slow progress there has actually been progress. My Tube Tool finally arrived this morning so I've added piping to the missile pods. I forgot to photograph that, but I also used the piping in my converted Chimeradon and *did* get a pic of that. So,

Image That's the style of tube.

I've also painted the last 5 Pathfinders and settled on a more practical basing style:

This is easier to pick up and move and also doesn't chip or scratch. Plus it's much quicker to make! I just want to add some flock to look like low lying brush or grass, then it's all finished.

Started on one of the Hammerheads while I had a little downtime, got the interior finished up already:

I received my Forge World order last night, too! Got 3 XV9's to be my Broadsides, so expect those soon. Also got 2 Great Knarlocs and a unit of Knarloc riders, though they're all for conversion into my dinosaur-tank imperial guard :P and a magma dragon to become a super heavy.

Anyhoo, thoughts and feedback greatly appreciated

Xauk
Shas

Post#13 » Jul 06 2014 04:07

Your Tau look amazing Adamaknight. |THe conversions you have done on the Firewarriors weapons really got my eye. great paint job on them too, the "drum barrels" look real good with their energized blue colour. LOving the jungle theme and the way you have executed it is marvellous!

Do an update!! :)

Return to “Project Logs”