Crimson Fang [14.10.24 - WIP XV109 and XV88-4]

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
ARC'Thunder
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Crimson Fang [14.10.24 - WIP XV109 and XV88-4]

Post#1 » May 06 2014 06:40

--INCOMING TRANSMISSION – PRIORITY LEVEL: ABSOLUTE --
--ENCRYPTION PROTOCOL A6-ZTL:3--
--DECODING--
--DECODING--
--DECODING--
--DECODING FAILED: This data is corrupt and cannot be opened.

Crimson Fang
Kau'ui T'V-2937 Mechanized Hunter Cadre

Introduction
    Cadre development and influences
    Model inventory

Minor Conversions
    Combine Influences
    Camera Drones
    Remote Sensor Towers

Works in Progress
    XV109
    XV88-4 Custom

Minor Update
Last edited by ARC'Thunder on Oct 24 2014 05:22, edited 9 times in total.

ARC'Thunder
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Re: [Project Log] Crimson Fang

Post#2 » May 06 2014 06:40

Introduction
I first started collecting my Tau just at the dawn of 6th edition, and I have regrettably made very little progress over the past two years to complete any sizable portion of my army. My hopes are that by starting this project log I will get an extra kick of motivation to work, with at least some regularity, on my models. Admittedly, this isn't going to be easy given my general indecisiveness and my penchant for modding a bit of every model, but that will be covered in due time over the course of this log. Hopefully.

This log will have a similar format to Lyi'ot's The Fire Age and Doombringer's Ghosts of Estau logs. Their logs have been the inspiration for mine, and I also like the neat format they have utilized.

Cadre Influences and Development

Before I had even started playing Warhammer 40,000, my introduction to the tabletop incarnation of the Tau Empire was mostly through ATT, and particularly the Guide to Mech Tau. The information found within still inspires the direction I wish to take my cadre to this day. This philosophy was eventually combined with timb6ea's Tau Commando Cadres article, to form a fairly solid foundation of what models I wanted to field and where my cadre would end up.

This mobile, mechanized playstyle choice has formed the core of the fluff of my cadre, and this informs more than anything else what I will field. My cadre should move quickly, and the slowest elements should only be my battlesuits—which according to IA3 means that my force has an approximate overland speed of 50 kph (~30 mph). This generally means that I will omit models without transport options1 (Kroot and Sniper Drones), but I also don't field models that I find unattractive, even if their rules would otherwise fit with my cadre (Vespid, Razorsharks and Sunsharks).

While I had a playstyle and template for collecting miniatures, it wasn't until the Battle for Change here on the orbital that I first created any fluff for Crimson Fang—nearly a year after starting my collection. I improvised a name for the leader, Shas'vre Sei'gi (presently the cadre's shas'el), and his team adopted the callsign Crimson. Crimson was chosen partially because red is my favorite color, and it was also inspired by the song, Kurenai no Kiba (The Crimson Fang) by JAM Project, which has one verse2 that really resonates with my personal moral compass:
In order to shine light upon the unknowns of tomorrow, you must become the fangs for those who have none.
It also seemed to fit the relationship that the shas have with the other castes, and I even used the line as a sio't meditation for my commander to recite during the battle.

I hope that as I continue this log I will talk more about my cadre fluff and adopted playstyle, but I think the above should serve as a good primer for now.

Model Inventory

Currently, the state of my army is mostly in half-assembled, armless, Fire Warriors; a primed, partially magnetized Hammerhead; and five sloppily posed XV8s.
I'd provide close-ups but it isn't worth it at this point. Any worthwhile pieces will be detailed later.

Partially Completed
  • 28x Fire Warriors
  • 5x Crisis battlesuits
  • 2x Remote Sensor Towers
  • 1x Devilfish (primed, but not fully assembled to enable painting the interior)
  • 1x Hammerhead
  • 1x Tank Commander (ForgeWorld)
    Not Yet Assembled
  • Lots of Drones
  • Lots of Fire Warriors
  • 2x Devilfish
  • 2x DX-4 Technical Drones
  • 1x Battleforce
  • 1x Pathfinder Kit
  • 1x Remote Sensor Tower
  • 1x XV8 Crisis Battlesuit Kit
  • 1x XV88 Broadside Battlesuit Kit

I am also somewhat of a bits hoarder. This is due mainly to my love of pouches for infantry models, but the new accessories for battlesuits (heads, support systems, etc.) also play a good part. Ultimately this means that I have tons3 of bits (including an entire sprue for the Skyray turret); these are mostly Tau, but a few Imperial ones (read: pouches) have made their way in as well.

Thankfully, I actually enjoy assembling and converting models (my assembling only ever being held back because of the requirements of eventual painting). I have several conversions planned in my head and on my cutting mat right now, and I hope to share them very soon.

1: The only exception to this is Broadsides. While I do consider them to be too slow for my cadre, they were my first experience with tau battlesuits in Dawn of War: Dark Crusade, and as a result I have an extreme attachment to them. I do intend on eventually having one full team of them (the new models inevitably being modified to suit my tastes), and I rationalize their ability to keep pace in the form of Orca or Manta transportation, as is required of nearly any Tau Cadre moving long distances.

2: I am referring to the translation used in the English dub of the show Gravion Zwei. Other translations I have seen don't translate the verse in that way, however many verses in the song support that sentiment regardless. Also, I really like the way that one sounds.

3: It is likely that many who have been in the hobby longer than I have probably have way more than me, but I like to think I have more than my model purchases and experience would suggest.

ARC'Thunder
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Re: [Project Log] Crimson Fang

Post#3 » May 24 2014 11:14

My friends and I are huge proponents of urban warfare on the tabletop. Therefore, I wanted to give my cadre a fluff reason to routinely fight in urban locales, and I ended up gravitating towards the idea of a tau occupation force on a newly conquered (or soon to be conquered) planet. Imagery of Half-Life 2's Combine started to run around my head, and while I don't think the tau are Combine-level overlords even in the most grim-dark interpretations of 40k (nor do I want my cadre to be a tool for such a regime), I do like the visuals and emotions they evoke.
Some of the above syncs too well to pass up: the "caste" graffiti, "it's great to be a part of the greater good" poster, and the faceless camera lenses of the metrocops are reminiscent of our own fire warriors.

As a result of this I had some inspiration to make some inconsequential conversions and mods.

Surveillance Systems
Camera Drones
These camera drones were inspired by Combine city scanners and Tael's own camera drone1. The antennae give the drone an almost tropical fish feeling; I envisioned them as a combination of communications antennae, and sensor spines for maneuvering in tight urban spaces.
The core is an XV8 shield generator and target lock, with XV8 antennae on the bottom and XV25 antennae for the top. That little round bit on some of the sides is from the XV8 flamer kit (again, idea1 courtesy of Tael).

Remote Sensor Towers
I like the idea of the remote sensor towers, however their rules are worse than lacklustre—I'd rather pay points for an immobilized Tetra than the towers—so seeing that I'll never take them as a fortification I decided I could have some fun with them. After having a conversation with Doombringer, I found out about the US Marines' GBOSS towers. So I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to execute a surveillance and P.A. system. I imagine red glowing camera lenses tracking gue'la pedestrians passing by, and mechanical voices periodically saying, "it's great to be part of the Greater Good," then reminding them that curfew is only a few hours away.
Basically, I just replaced the very wavy resin stalk with brass rod. This increases the strength of the shaft and lengthens it (the rod itself is 6" long). Because I only plan on using these for scenery I don't have to worry about them ruining LOS-blocking terrain.

1: I can't find specific WIP shots of this at the moment, however you may see the results of his works in the following threads: [Fio ATT Work] Tael's Workbench and Tael's Cadre Represents
Last edited by ARC'Thunder on Jul 23 2014 09:31, edited 1 time in total.

ARC'Thunder
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Re: Crimson Fang [Cadre; Tash'var; WIP]

Post#4 » Jul 23 2014 08:32

Well, I must say that this log has, in fact, improved my hobbying activity—can you imagine that it was worse than this previously?

Just a small update: After a long debate with myself, and a discussion with a friend, I've decided that my desire to hinge and magnetize the doors on Devilfish and paint the interior is not worth the mental block that prevents me from finishing them. Immediately after coming to this conclusion I (poorly) assembled the parts of a Devilfish that I had primed previously with intent to paint the interior. I'd take a picture, but a black primed Devilfish chassis isn't all that spectacular (see: 14.05.06: Model Inventory).

I will mention that I primed this chassis and my Hammerhead using Krylon's black primer and found it to have a very tacky feel for hours after priming (I promise I didn't saturate the model). I plan on priming with GW's Chaos Black again, but recent access to Army Painter primer in an FLGS may have me experiment with another brand.

I have also been working on a super secret conversion that I don't think I've seen anywhere before. Kael'yn and I have discussed it previously and I'm hoping to debut the conversion before he finishes a part of his project.

I will mention that most conversions I have attempted (or plan to attempt) have strong roots in what I have seen here on this site—there are some really outstanding ideas on ATT. Whenever this is the case I will try to give credit to those who inspired me.

ARC'Thunder
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Re: Crimson Fang [Cadre; Tash'var; WIP]

Post#5 » Oct 19 2014 12:16

Okay, so I have a few pictures of some WIP stuff I've had on the bench. One of these things is fairly recent, while the other was the super secret conversion mentioned above. I apologize in advance for the quality of the pictures. I try to edit them a bit and make sure they're as clear as possible, but I can only do so much with my older phone.

XV109 Torso WIP
This is a dry fit of the six resin pieces on the XV109 torso. Not pictured is the head that comes with the XV109; despite its more appropriate size, I think it looks awful. As a heads up to anyone about to receive their own, many areas where the pieces are attached to the resin blocks (the proper terminology for the pieces elude me, reservoirs or something?) are thick and angled awkwardly. I had a few minor pieces break near those points that I had to glue back together (or in the case of the front of the gorget, I'll have to sand/repair manually).

XV88-4 WIP
The super secret project I was working on! The XV88-4. Its called the XV88-4 because I figured the OG XV88 would have been the 88-1, ForgeWorld makes the 88-2, and the most recent iteration must be the 88-3. Needless to say it's still WIP: I intend on making hands using Biddo's fantastic tutorial, and I'm still debating on adding a shoulder stock of some kind to help absorb some of the recoil.

Anyways, I liked much of the recent model, but firing from the hip seemed rather silly to me and it doesn't look very professional. I appreciate the more dynamic feeling the sculptor gave it compared to the original—as he put it, a dynamic battlesuit versus a static artillery piece—but there is a good reason(s) most firearms are braced against the shoulder. So I decided I'd change it up, and my inspiration came from one of the more iconic mecha pictures in my mind:

Anyways, I'll likely develop some fluff for this variant to exist in my cadre; mentioning increased recoil absorption, reducing stress on joints, etc.

I would like to thank Kael'yn for his patience in waiting for me to upload pictures of the XV88-4. I shared the idea with him early on in my conceptual stage, and although he made his own variant faster than me, he was thoughtful enough to leave an initial reveal for me. And if anyone has any suggestions or feedback please let me know! I've deliberately tried to keep the model as malleable as possible until I finalize it (many of the parts you see are either tacked on or snug-fit into place), and I'm sure the amazing talent on ATT could give me a few tips.

Anyways, until next time, thanks for stopping by!

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Re: Crimson Fang [WIP XV109]

Post#6 » Oct 22 2014 05:33

Thanks ARC'Thunder for your idea.

For legs, as you can see in my vision of the XV88-4, I feel that the original legs mismatch the right shoulder holding stance.

Waiting to see your XV109.

ARC'Thunder
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Re: Crimson Fang [WIP XV109]

Post#7 » Oct 23 2014 10:13

Quick update today. I assembled the legs of the 109, and I'm choosing to leave the torso unglued to make transportation easier (if I had the foresight I think I should have done something with the arm sockets to remove them for transport as well).

I've also been messing around with how I want to mount the 88-4's railgun. I think my latest setup is close to finish, but now I have to reposition the grip/trigger (thankfully I bought a spare HRR from a bits retailer).

Below is a picture I took of the 109 (still phone cam quality):

Kael'yn wrote:Thanks ARC'Thunder for your idea.

For legs, as you can see in my vision of the XV88-4, I feel that the original legs mismatch the right shoulder holding stance.

Waiting to see your XV109.
We've both given each other ideas in this process ;) . I'll certainly have to adapt some of yours to my future 88's.

In retrospect I am sad I kept the legs so close to the stock pose. I'll have to use your leg swap idea for future 88's, but for now I find having the weight on the right leg/bracing with it in back is better for absorbing the potential recoil of the gun. I may have to try a stance that keeps the right leg about where it is, but bring the left one a bit closer to body for more stability.

EDIT: I think the image links were messed up because they weren't loading on my phone. I think I've fixed them?

MODELGLUE Eio'Y
Kor'El
Kor'El

Re: Crimson Fang [14.10.24 - WIP XV109 and XV88-4]

Post#8 » Apr 19 2015 10:23

It has been awhile since you posted ARC'T, but that won't stop me from letting you know that I've taken inspiration from your '109 model. I love the look of the 'standard' head on the model and I think it fits better with the design. I am working on assembling mine today, I will incorporate your change as well. :)

ARC'Thunder
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Re: Crimson Fang [14.10.24 - WIP XV109 and XV88-4]

Post#9 » Apr 19 2015 04:51

Thanks, I'm glad to here that modelglue!

Currently, I messed with the head a bit more, and I've got the classic conversion (like Old Shatter Hands) mocked up on it now. It bulks it out a bit more, and I think it makes the proportions even better—it actually matches the shape of the collar a bit better, and looks more aerodynamic too. I might be able to put up a picture of it later, but seasoned hobbyists should be able to visualize it.

In other news: I have been working on some hobby stuff but it's not Tau (or even 40k) related; I've painted up six of Fantasy's Spirit Hosts for tabletop roleplaying purposes. I guess I could post images of these too?

I also have 75% of an Imperial building finished: I totally did the second floor, but I got bogged down painting all of the skulls on the first (it has twice as many as the second) and lost motivation...

Return to “Project Logs”