Paintee's Project Log

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Kael'yn
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Re: Ragged Tau and Converted Devilfish

Post#37 » Aug 20 2014 09:11

Paintee wrote:Hope you like, and although all of you seem to be dead, if the amount of replies since my last post is anything to go by, I still cling on to some hope that someone will take the time to reply. So, why don't you? Go on, you know you want to! ;) Just click that reply button, even if there is no substance at all, just praise, go on! Make a 12 year old happy! :D

Remember our primers:
1) Treat each other with respect whilst using family-appropriate language.
2) Post with substance or not at all (includes proper spelling and grammar).
3) Post only what you know. If you're unsure about something, look it up.
4) Stay on topic.
5) Ask/search before you propose the Next Big Thing.
6) Post in existing topics rather than starting new ones.
7) Be ethical.
8) Respect intellectual property rights.
9) Avatars : 80x80 pixels in size, non-animated.
10) Signatures are limited to 55 characters.

Having a reply with "I like it" means nothing. Best is to check the number of times your topic was viewed for that.
And people reactions are less important than your own pleasure for your mini, I think.

If you want C&C here are some:
- Your color scheme is fine for the snow base (maybe the blue skin is a little bit too saturated to my taste)
- Snow finish is hard to achieve. Specially to separate the model from the base with the color effect. Maybe more contrast on the feet may help.
- At this time your model look right for the "snowy effect". But don't forget that on minis you want to emphasize the contrasts : washes and edge highlight gives a more impressive effect from afar (just diluted black/brown in recesses and grey/white drybrush is a good start, specially on faces).
- Camo cloak green/olive on a snow scheme ? Seems strange. If in a forest, darkgreen/grey/white may fit better. And to say that this is a camo pattern, maybe draw sharp edges (splinter camo) and smaller camo pattern to improve it.
- The red color on the snow seems strange : human blood (tau have cyan blood) ? then darken and gloss it a little, and maybe add an human limbs to explain. Terracotta earth/Rock underlay ? drybrush and washes to give it a more natural look.

A good mini (and specially for a character) with its base "told a mini-story" with all the elements included on it.

At 12 you have time to build as a great painter. Keep practicing !

Paintee
Shas

Post#38 » Aug 20 2014 11:10

Thank you so much, I will give the skin a watered down wash and dry brush it. The cloak is green as they are operating in a snowy pine forest, so they need to blend well with both the snow, and the trees. I will improve on the camouflage, and add body parts to the snow. Oh, and sorry about the "Even if it has no substance please post" part, I'm a bit new and although I HAVE read the Primers, I forgot about THAT ONE! So yeah! Progress on the D'Fish is going slow as I need the parts from a Valkyrie door gun to get some more progress. I am also making my second Shas'Ui, and this one is made similar to one Tael made a long time ago. He has one foot standing on a Guard helmet and I am even going to get a Beastman Ungor head to get that "awesome-goatee-toting-grim-faced-lets-do-this" type of face. So yeah! That's just about it for today bros, so keep in touch and keep reading!

Paintee out!
What is this "Me-lee" you speak of?

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#39 » Aug 20 2014 03:57

Paintee wrote:Progress on the D'Fish is going slow as I need the parts from a Valkyrie door gun to get some more progress.

As you started the topic with that model (and catachan-style jungle fighter) the shas'ui seems also a little out of place (your first draft involved jungle, now with snow ?). Try to keep your topic as you first started it too (since it's a Modelling and not a project log/model gallery).

Valkyries doors : Have you tried ebay bits stores or local player bits boxes ?
Another thing that you can get your hand on is hobby plastic cardboard and profiles (Evergreen and the like, they are cheap and can achieve a good-looking model : I started a Tetra and finished a tau jetbike with that)
I don't know the part you want but Valkyries is enough blocky to be replaced by cardboard.

Paintee wrote:I'm a bit new and although I HAVE read the Primers, I forgot about THAT ONE!

No pb. It's easy to forget that kind of thing when you start a thing you are proud (I remember checking once an hour my first topic here on a handmade tau font to see comments !)

Paintee
Shas

Post#40 » Aug 21 2014 05:07

This Devilfish is a stand alone project which will be separate from my normal army (snow camo) and the only reason that my snow camo scheme is shown here is because people were wondering what it was like. This might turn into a project log so if there are any admins who would be kind enough to move it to the project logs section as soon as that happens I would be grateful.

I also need a Beastman Ungor head and a set of Valkyrie door guns from someone. I will be heading down to my local GW to try and barter for something, and I will get back to you soonish! I will post pics of my half built Shas'Ui this afternoon, and I am trying something different with him; number 1) I am making the base separate to the model as it will be very detailed and fancy, number 2) I am painting him disassembled to make it easier for me to paint him; I wouldn't want a Shas'Ui to have badly painted parts, even if we can't see them! Anyways, thanks Kael'yn, you have really filled me with joy and also ideas. I will do some thinking and I will be back this afternoon!

Paintee, out!

Paintee
Shas

Re: Paintee's Project Log

Post#41 » Oct 16 2014 12:52

Long time no see, eh? :) I have not been on ATT recently, and was surprised to see no more posts on my topic, and also that my topic had drifted really far down the charts! :eek: Anyways, I've been sanding my finger off the past few days, and I think that the D'fish is really coming on! But since pictures speak a thousand words, here is the work: (I apologise for the bad camera! using my iPad because my camera is out of battery)

So, what do you think? Any more ideas? And also could an admin move this to the 'Project log' section?

reconjsh
Shas

Post#42 » Oct 16 2014 02:05

A truly inspired model! Love it. I really look forward to seeing the finished product.

Recon.
My Cadre Log - [need better pictures]

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#43 » Oct 16 2014 02:37

Sanding greenstuff is not the best option for me, because of the "elastic" texture of it. I prefer milliput (or a mix of both to keep the stickiness and modelling elasticity of greenstuff) because it have a harder surface that do not leave sanding scratches.
Maybe a solvent can smooth the hardened GS to smooth scratches, but I don't know which.

Do you have plans to add small wings on each engines or do you want to leave them as is ?

If you want to go all open, you can maybe cut the cockpit to build a similar to the piranha !

Paintee wrote:So, what do you think? Any more ideas? And also could an admin move this to the 'Project log' section?

PM to a (active) 'Vre 'El or 'O is a good idea to start ... Don't hesitate, they do not eat Shas'la on breakfast (at least not recently) ;)

Vay
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#44 » Oct 16 2014 02:50

Second the use of Milliput. Apply, wait 10 min, wet blade down to desired amount, wait 24 hours, sand, seal, and then paint.

Also, this post from my log might help your design visual.

I think if you keep the back without walls, you will be left with a lot of open space. Maybe mod a larger side door (use a rear door hatch and mod to fit the side. that will give you a gunner platform that drops out), or mod in 2 side doors to keep the can drop from orbit feel.
Shas'O Kais Vay Shone’nan

Paintee
Shas

Post#45 » Oct 17 2014 01:30

Wow! So many posts in just one night? :eek: I really appreciate it guys, and thanks for all the support!

reconjsh, thanks for that, but you might have to wait a while to see it finished! :D

Kael'yn, although it looks like it has scratches, those where filled in when I used wet and dry paper. Believe me, the top is silky smooth! I also like the idea of an open cockpit, and maybe I could have some people perched on the top. Wings, I had never thought of, since I was kind of going for the avatar helicopter feel. I'll be sue to PM an admin soon.

Vay; nice ideas, and thanks for the pics, but since it won't be doing orbit drops, I don't need those sealed doors. My Devilfish is more like a skimmer after this conversion; remember that the hover devices might have been damaged ;) also, thanks for the milliput advice, but I personally like greenstuff. Dunno why, just do. Also those are not scratches.

Thanks for all the lovely comments, Paintee - out!

Return to “Project Logs”