Recon's Cadre Painting Log

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
reconjsh
Shas

Re: Recon's Cadre Painting Log

Post#55 » Apr 16 2015 09:18

So, not really an update on MY army, but I did this base for a buddy's Dreadnaught (upper torso magnetized and removed for picture).

First water base. Turned out good, I think. Varied water colors and frothing water effects were a hoot.

This is fully dried.

Recon.
My Cadre Log - [need better pictures]

Blueshock
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#56 » Apr 17 2015 12:44

Looks nice Recon. I like how it looks like he's standing on either side of the stream with his feet mashed into the mud. As big as Dreadnoughts are they'd likely sink into muddy areas pretty easily. I would suggest next time just a little more of a greenish/darkblue/greyish tint in the center of the stream/water-flow to add some more depth/sediment mixture. As good as it looks now, realistically there would likely be more darker sediment rather than pristine clear blue water that close to a muddy area. You'd see that clear pretty blue water on a beach maybe with a bunch of white sand around, not so much mud/rock. That's my only real criticism of the base, it looks great for sure though. Keep up the good work man, basing is an art not many people can pull off real well.

-Shock
My T'au Army

~My Life for the Empire~

reconjsh
Shas

Post#57 » Apr 17 2015 07:10

Thanks for the honest critique. I went back and added some sand, dirt and mud and it does look much better.

Working on a Hive Tyrant this weekend. Also need to finish 4x Crisis Suits for a tournament coming soon.

Recon.

reconjsh
Shas

Post#58 » Apr 26 2015 10:31

Here's a Hive Tyrant I just finished. I have another one done too and I'm finishing the third today.

I really wish I had a good camera for my minis.

Here you can see the bases in use that I posted earlier.

The wings were painted with a friend's airbrush and then washed in Nuln Oil. So, the lighting effect is actually painted and not ambient light.

Finally, a side view.

I think I need a third highlighting color on the blue shell, so I may be adding that soon.

Riptide coming up next.

Recon.

Myrdin
Shas

Post#59 » Apr 26 2015 11:38

I REALLY like the water stream effect on the base !
Always like water effects on bases, and when well executed it gets me every time !
Good job ;)

Blueshock
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#60 » Apr 27 2015 12:24

Nice looking Bug ya got there Recon. I agree about adding another highlight, at least to the sharp edges of the carapace. Looks great on your base too.
My T'au Army

~My Life for the Empire~

reconjsh
Shas

Post#61 » Apr 27 2015 08:53

Testing out my friend's airbrush today on a used Riptide I have. Exciting!!! I'll post the results, good or bad.

EDIT: WOW! After using an airbrush, I have to wonder how anyone could possible paint any other way. Pictures coming soon.

Recon.

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#62 » Apr 29 2015 03:37

EDIT: WOW! After using an airbrush, I have to wonder how anyone could possible paint any other way. Pictures coming soon.

Chuckle, look forward to it man :)

- Tael

Deet
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#63 » Apr 30 2015 01:34

Hah. I have to agree. It's the only way to fly.

My buddy did a good post on how to get started with an airbrush for under $100 that can help you get going with your own setup.
Last edited by Deet on Apr 30 2015 06:55, edited 1 time in total.

Blueshock
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#64 » Apr 30 2015 02:11

Agreed. Ever since I picked up my Iwata, I haven't been able to put it down...it's addicting and makes models look incredible.
My T'au Army

~My Life for the Empire~

Tearphoenix
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#65 » Apr 30 2015 08:15

Blueshock wrote:Agreed. Ever since I picked up my Iwata, I haven't been able to put it down...it's addicting and makes models look incredible.

I have also recently had my eyes open by using an airbrush. I just have an incredibly cheap one, but it has still revolutionized my world. I am hoping to acquire a an Iwata here in the next month or so.

Recon, I have thoroughly enjoyed following your log! Most of my collection was also purchased secondhand and it is nice to see someone surviving the process of cleaning it up.

Blueshock
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#66 » Apr 30 2015 08:37

I use a cheap $20 one I picked up at our local harbor freight tool store and its done things just as amazing...I'll have to post some of my Necrons soon so you can see the difference between an Iwata and the $20 one...there really isn't a huge difference. If anything you could buy 10 of the cheap ones for 1Iwata and end up with similar paint jobs on 2 of the same model.
My T'au Army

~My Life for the Empire~

ShasODerpy
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#67 » Apr 30 2015 08:56

Having seen some really awesome airbrushed models all over ATT, I think I'm going to give it another try... The results I'm seeing in most of the WiP images exceed my ~2 hours of basecoating/layering tanks/riptides,
And then they mention it only took them 10 minutes...

@Recon, can't wait to see that airbrushed riptide!!

-Derp
Shas'O 50mm, the Foresighted
WIP Tau

reconjsh
Shas

Post#68 » May 11 2015 10:34

Who has two thumbs and got their first (Iwata) airbrush today? This guy!

The good news: airbrush and all accessories arrived today. Paints prepped. Studio setup.

The bad news: I'm starting on my Space Wolves now. Tau will still get some love... but my SWs are going to get most of my time. I'll start a new project log thread to document my SW airbrushing. They are going to be next-level awesome.

In other news... I also got a nice camera for picture taking.

Recon.

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#69 » May 11 2015 04:10

Look forward to the updates via new camera. All this airbursh love, going to have to explore this option through the year.

reconjsh
Shas

Post#70 » May 21 2015 07:40

Here's Aun'shi. I find painting the metal models to be more difficult. Overall, I like this paint job, though the face is a bit plain. Looks good for table-top standard though.

My Tau aren't seeing a lot of love lately... been working on my Space Wolves. But, I'm still trying to get some things done for Tau here and there.

Recon.

Return to “Project Logs”