Recon's Cadre Painting Log

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
reconjsh
Shas

Recon's Cadre Painting Log

Post#1 » Jul 15 2014 12:51

I started playing 40k May of 2014 (July 2014 when this log started). I've collected a fair sized army and it's only growing, so I'd like a place to document my progress.

To start with, here's the first "half" of my army. I purchased these and assembled them myself.
2x Battle Force boxes; 1x Pirahna; 2x Riptides (not assembled yet); 1x Broadside (not assembled yet); 2x Kroot; 1x Pathfinders; 1x Shadowsun; Tauceti defense line; mechanoid quad-gun

Here's the second "half" of my army. These were assembled, (poorly) painted, and later broken by someone on Craigslist. Great deal, but will be time consuming to fix.

I've NEVER painted minis prior to June 2014, so I figured I'd start and practice with my Kroot, since they're cheap, numerous, and aren't as smooth as other models. I'm about 75% done with these... they need accents, touchups, and basing.

The scheme - Classic US Army colors e.g. Olive Drab Green
Infantry and similar: green armor with tan and brown as other clothing colors. Equipment will depend on type.
Kroot: red.

Changed Scheme. FSE colors. Ignore this.
Vehicles: green, tan, and brown air-brushed digital camo pattern.
Stealth Suits: active phasing from black to based terrain.
Medium suits (crisis, etc.): Tan, with black and green under equipment and accents.
Large suits: TBD later.
Other: Green primary

After I finish my main army, I'm starting a Farsight Enclave army in traditional colors.

Anyway, that's the plan. I'll post items as I go.

Jul 15 2014: posted log. Began stripping paint from Craigslist purchase. Continued work on Kroot.
Last edited by reconjsh on Sep 18 2014 11:53, edited 4 times in total.
My Cadre Log - [need better pictures]

Deepstrike
Shas

Re: Recon's Cadre Log - New Player Starting from Scratch

Post#2 » Jul 15 2014 01:44

You...make...me...sick...

With jealousy!!

That's your first time painting with those kroot? Nice work! I love the detail you have in them. Mine look like an amatire. Painted them, that being me! Lol

reconjsh
Shas

Post#3 » Jul 16 2014 06:59

Shas 'o Deepstrike wrote:You...make...me...sick...

With jealousy!!

That's your first time painting with those kroot? Nice work! I love the detail you have in them. Mine look like an amatire. Painted them, that being me! Lol

Thank you... but you're too kind. :) They're not that good.

I watched a lot of YouTube videos as well asked the local hobby shop guys for guidance. I'll be starting a set of Crisis Suits next. We'll see how that goes.

Recon.

reconjsh
Shas

Post#4 » Jul 17 2014 12:58

So, I started stripping paint from my Craigslist purchase.

For those interested, I used a 50%/50% mix of Simple Green and Super Clean. Both were recommended, so I figured "why not use both?". :D I'm sure either would have worked fine on their own. I soaked everything for about 18 hours and then scrubbed it with a firm toothbrush. It worked FANTASTICALLY. The paint came right off without a lot of effort. I now have a several dozen more almost-brand-new metal and plastic models to paint... after a fair amount of re-gluing/posing.

Except, I found THIS when I stripped the paint from my Skyray (which will presumably also be under my two Devilfish and Hammerhead) :(

That's the before and after. Must be Krylon or enamel paint or something. Looks like these bad boys had 3 or so layers of bad paint. I stripped off green and then white before I found this.

Needless to say, I'm disappointed. Fortunately, as you can see from the nose (as indicated by a red arrow), the scratchy side of a Scotch pad took the final layer off (that spot) after a few hours of more soaking. I hope I can get it all eventually... and I also hope that the plastic is smooth when I'm done. Perhaps this will have to be a battle worn/damaged vehicle.

So it goes. I still maintain hope that this was a good and cost effective purchase from Craigslist. We'll see. My preference now is to get these newly acquired models in playable but unpainted condition before I continue with my painting projects.

Recon.

reconjsh
Shas

Re: Recon's Cadre Painting Log - first unit of kroot are done

Post#5 » Aug 17 2014 01:57

Completely finished my first full unit (ever). 20x Kroot Carnivores. 10+ colors each. I did a lot of colors and techniques so that I could practice painting on a forgiving model type. Boy, did I learn a lot!

Here are a couple of pictures (I really could use a light box - the lighting doesn't do the highlighting any justice):

So, I have 40x Kroot Carnivores to go. At least 20 of the remaining 40 will be painted traditional green kroot colors, if not all. I like the red (a lot) but I like the green too.

My whole army is primed gray, white, black, green, or red now, depending on the paint plan for the given unit. Here's a photo of my work in progress. Plenty of models under the table that are primed but not in the queue.

I have 3 squads of 14 Firewarriors (14 because I have 12x Shas'la and 1x Shas-ui and 1x grenadier in each squad... the latter two to sub-out a Shas'la if I purchase those upgrades for the unit) and 1 squad of 11 "elite guard" Firewarriors up next. The "elite guard" have special decorations and will be used when I attach an ethereal with 11 FW in a Devilfish. No special rules; just special fluff. Also, I'm posing my third Riptide, so it's in the queue photo too.

Posting all of this for my personal tracking log, but anyone is welcome to comment.

Recon.

reconjsh
Shas

Re: Recon's Cadre Painting Log

Post#6 » Aug 17 2014 02:13

So, as of 8/15/14, I'm changing my color scheme. I did some test FWs of the green, tan, and brown and just didn't like it.

I'm currently playing with a gray/black/white/orange with pops of accent green or blue as one idea. I'm also trying a few others.

So, this delayed starting my FWs in assembly line. I have two FWs that I'm test painting, stripping the paint off, and trying again. I can't find a combo that makes me happy yet.

Recon.

Lyi'ot
Por'O
Por'O

Post#7 » Aug 17 2014 03:09

It's important to do test models. I'd love to see your potential schemes -- but ultimately, you have to be happy with the end product.

reconjsh
Shas

Post#8 » Aug 17 2014 07:11

Lyi'ot wrote:It's important to do test models. I'd love to see your potential schemes -- but ultimately, you have to be happy with the end product.

Here's a QUICK mock-up paint job of one idea. Primarily grays, whites, and blacks with some orange.

Paints used:
Skavenblight Dinge
Administratum Grey
Abaddon Black
Troll Slayer Orange

Recon.

timb6ea
Shas

Post#9 » Aug 18 2014 08:50

First time seeing this thread. The Kroot look really good. Did you ever get that Skyray cleaned up?
Will Flak'O for food.

reconjsh
Shas

Post#10 » Aug 18 2014 10:07

timb6ea wrote:First time seeing this thread. The Kroot look really good. Did you ever get that Skyray cleaned up?

Yes... and everything else. About 200 models were stripped and re-primed. It was quite a process, but worth the saved money!
Recon.

Lyi'ot
Por'O
Por'O

Post#11 » Aug 18 2014 10:42

Your current color scheme reminds me of Transformers: Prime's Ratchet. Not that that's a bad thing!

reconjsh
Shas

Post#12 » Aug 18 2014 03:55

Lyi'ot wrote:Your current color scheme reminds me of Transformers: Prime's Ratchet. Not that that's a bad thing!

I suppose it does. :) The more I look at it, the better I like it. I have my new scheme... time to churn out some dudes!

Recon.

tripwire
Shas

Post#13 » Aug 18 2014 04:15

you are "doing it right", as the kids say. great work cleaning and prepping the used models. the kroot look great. test models are definitely the way to go.

-trip

reconjsh
Shas

Re: Recon's Cadre Painting Log - Color Scheme Selected

Post#14 » Sep 07 2014 07:23

Another couple of weeks went by and I tried an obscene number of combinations and didn't like anything. Greens, blues, oranges and all manner of grays. So, I went to my game store and asked the owner what to do and he said "I'm a big fan of the actual army colors". Duh!

So, I'm painting everything Farsight Enclaves red, black, and gray. (since I play a FSE CAD four out of five lists). I'm so happy I made that decision.

Here's my first base-coated model. I want to base-coat my whole army before doing washing, details, basing, etc. My kroot took way too long and I owe it to the people I game with to at least have 2-3 colors on everything.

Recon.

reconjsh
Shas

Post#15 » Sep 10 2014 08:26

Some simple custom poses... first effort in not using the normal positions/instructions.

I really don't like the normal Commander pose, so I stood him up and made him running. The Riptide is meant to look like he's taking a hit to the shield and about to whirl around and put the IA in someone's face. I don't have the best angle on him in the picture. Maybe I'll post another later.

Recon.

reconjsh
Shas

Post#16 » Oct 15 2014 06:58

I've been busy, but don't have a lot to show for it. So, here's a little progress.

My Skyshield Landing Pad, Aegis Defense Line, Quad-gun, and Ammo Dump are nearing completion (got help painting this). Need to do some touch-up, highlighting, and some more weathering still. It's painted in Space Wolf colors because, as you'll see later, Space Wolves will be my second army.

Recon.
Last edited by reconjsh on Oct 16 2014 02:03, edited 1 time in total.

reconjsh
Shas

Post#17 » Oct 15 2014 07:00

Now that I'm done with a squad of Crisis Suits, I'm working on a squad of Firewarriors again painted as Farsight Enclaves. They're still in the base coating stage.

Recon

reconjsh
Shas

Post#18 » Oct 15 2014 07:01

My gaming store had a (queue sad violin music) going out of business sale with 40k @ 30-40% off! So, here's my Tau haul:

3x Crisis Suit Team boxes, 2x Pathfinder Teams, and 1x Sunshark Bomber.

I decided to make my next army Space Wolves, so here's what I picked up at the sale:

Recon

Return to “Project Logs”