Recon's Cadre Painting Log

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
reconjsh
Shas

Re: Recon's Cadre Painting Log

Post#19 » Oct 15 2014 07:04

Oh, and my R'varna and Y'vahra arrived today!!!

Recon.
My Cadre Log - [need better pictures]

Taktonic
Shas

Post#20 » Oct 16 2014 08:52

Great work! I really love the red Kroot, you did an excellent job on them! Please pass some of your model finding luck off on me though, i've been slowly pulling cheap Crisis suits off of Ebay. I feel your pain on stripping and fixing other peoples poorly constructed models...

reconjsh
Shas

Post#21 » Oct 19 2014 01:47

My main intention for this thread is a journal of painting and collecting for my own posterity. So, as a reference for myself, as of October 2014, I have collected about 6,500 "naked" points of Tau (no upgrade points counted). I started 6 months ago in this hobby... what has happened to my time/money/life!? :)

Anyway, here's a pic.

I really love to play and so my hobby time is spent playing and not painting, though that's been changing lately. I've been spending almost every evening painting.

My goal for myself: be done base coating everything by the new year and detail work done by end of May 2015. That way, it'll be approx. one year into the hobby and I'll have a respectable army. I can live with that.

SIDE NOTE: the sad part?... I have about 1,500 points of unopened Space Wolves. I promised myself I wouldn't glue a single piece together until I finish base coating my Tau.

DrMedicine
Shas

Post#22 » Nov 19 2014 10:08

Very nice army. It looks very good! Are you ever going to ally your tau with those space wolves?

reconjsh
Shas

Post#23 » Nov 20 2014 08:21

Thanks. I really wish I had more FINISHED work to show, but it's slow going. It's not my intention to ally them and I doubt I'd ally the two often. Maybe though. Interesting thought.

Here's a couple of xv8 Battlesuit Commanders I just finished magnetizing. Both arms and shoulders are magnetized. One of them I changed his pose and then put a banner thing on his back. I see a lot of terrible magnetizing in my area... the key is to take a drill and insert the magnets flush with the model rather than just gluing on top.

The banner was from a WH Fantasy Skaven model I got for free (model unknown). I put a little green stuff in the center and I'll put a Farsight Enclaves decal on both sides. I think it'll look good.

I heard someone say that I "had G.A.S." when it comes to this hobby. Games-Workshop Acquisition Syndrome. Funny but true... I keep buying more models than I can paint in a reasonable amount of time.

Recon.

reconjsh
Shas

Post#24 » Dec 06 2014 02:21

I have NO intention of doing battle damage and such on any of my army other than this model. I purchased this Riptide that was *ahem* discounted and poorly molded. Anyway... I later dropped him and lots of bits broke off. So, lemonade from lemons, I decided to work on my battle damage technique.

Paint chipping, bullet dents, gashes, engine burn, rust, drainage... I'm testing everything on this poor guy.

So, here are some pictures. I'm obviously not done yet, but it's not far off either. Looks at least a little better in person.

Need to do some more touch-ups, edge-highlighting, and basing... among a few other small things.

Anyway, that's what I have for recent progress.

Maybe I'll buy some stuff for myself for Christmas to take better pictures than my camera phone.

Recon.

reconjsh
Shas

Re: Recon's Cadre Painting Log - Fusion Blades

Post#25 » Dec 07 2014 09:36

After some painting, I decided to create a Fusion Blade. I took some fusion blasters and some flamers and chopped them up to create this. The fusion blade itself is some clear plastic I ripped off of a Marvel action figure.

It's magnetized, but the "blade" is kind of heavy, so I created some arm braces to wrap the arm that keep it from rotating while the magnet keeps on otherwise.

The blade is only temporarily attached since I don't want to get primer and paint on it.

Overall, I like it. I might do a second version because this one feels a little bulky.

Recon.

Shas'Norb
Shas

Post#26 » Dec 07 2014 09:44

I think its pretty sweet. Great job.

DrMedicine
Shas

Post#27 » Dec 07 2014 10:05

Thats an awesome conversion. Very nicely done.

reconjsh
Shas

Post#28 » Dec 11 2014 06:09

For those of you that might see this.... what do you think? I'm debating doing this smashed Ork under a Riptide foot, as pictured below. I'm on the fence... anyone got an opinion? This is just a rough placement... I'll make it better if I decide to do it. Too much guts as pictured.

Recon.

Siyath
Shas

Post#29 » Dec 12 2014 10:50

I went with a marine myself, and I'm fairly happy with the result. It's all still a bit unfinished painting-wise, but I think you can get the gist of it.

reconjsh
Shas

Post#30 » Dec 12 2014 11:01

Wow! Next level basing! And the LED, geez. Looks great. I have 2 more Riptides to do (plus xv107 and xv109), so I may try to get to that level with the next.

Recon.

Siyath
Shas

Post#31 » Dec 12 2014 11:31

Here's a bit better image in case you were interested, the only one on my phone right now. It's the only one for now, I don't want to be rude and spam your thread with these. : )

Last edited by Siyath on Dec 12 2014 01:57, edited 2 times in total.

reconjsh
Shas

Post#32 » Dec 12 2014 01:06

Image not working. I went Ork because of the Farsight preferred enemy thing.

Recon.

Siyath
Shas

Post#33 » Dec 12 2014 01:10

Just shift+reload, fumbled the URL before. Should work now. I think your ork approach is actually a better one, since as you said: Farsight : ) mine was picked just to intimidate the local meta of excessive marine appearances. ; )

Siyath
Shas

Post#34 » Dec 12 2014 02:00

And a tip as well, add some detail by making bones stick out of the mess. Either plastic carving (like mine, probably doesn't show all too well from the photo, though) or green stuff. The devil's in the details : ) Nonetheless, I vote for adding the ork in there!

reconjsh
Shas

Post#35 » Dec 12 2014 02:02

Great idea. I have some Kroot bits that are bone and meat, so that could work well. I also have some barrels and scenery that I'm putting in.

Recon.

reconjsh
Shas

Post#36 » Dec 14 2014 09:15

Alright, Riptide more or less complete. Pics below. Thanks to Siyath for pushing me to do the smashed Ork. Siyath - you may notice the bone sticking out from behind the Riptide's foot... thanks for the suggestion.

Working on a Battlesuit Commander now. Shas'O Nan'Run - Commander Hidden Blade.

Recon.

Return to “Project Logs”