[Project Log] Ice world Tau - Pic heavy [Update 7]

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Killshroud
Shas

[Project Log] Ice world Tau - Pic heavy [Update 7]

Post#1 » Aug 27 2014 08:49

+++++Update 7 - Firewarrior skin and crisis posing concept. +++++
After the shoulder emblems I will do the requested tutorials. I first need to push through the last of the paining.

Hi ATT,

This will be my project log for my Ice world Tau. I have already progress somewhat with the project - so I will be posting update / progress pics very soon.
I am a project manager in real life - so please excuse the overly methodical approach :) - see personal challenges section.

For now I would like to detail the concepts and inspirations for the army. I will also document some personal challenges I have set for myself, and general challenges with the concepts. I hope you enjoy the progression of this log. It's been a blast just getting to this stage.

Quick background -
I've recently started playing 40k again, and dug up my old half and unpainted Tau models. What a surprise to see a Riptide in the new codex...and have a powerful army :)
I've made a commitment to myself to fully paint and finish this army.
I tend to be a perfectionist, so I will need to let some things slide during this project. Part of the reason for the unpainted army was that I wanted to blend everything..and would often restart an entire unit if something small bothered me.

This log will document my journey, and hopefully share some of my lessons learnt. Some will be obvious to experienced modellers and painters, some might be new.

Concept:
Army is to be based on ice world. This will complement regular opponent and usual game board well. (Space Wolves, so all Ice / Snow themed)
General colour scheme is to be glacier / ice camouflage and armour.
We plan on adding volcano eruptions to the game board - fire colours will be nice contrast to ice armour.
Heavily modified crisis suits
Dynamic poses for infantry (firewarriors especiallt)

Concept challenges:
Ice armour should not look too pristine..or too dirty. [aiming for a look in between stormtrooper and slightly weathered rebel :) ]
Ice / fire scheme could be high contrast / out of place. Aiming for moderate amount of realism..but fluff reasons trump practical cammo reasons.
Modding of crisis suits will take time - never done mods before
Dynamic poses will take time.
Ice theme could become quite bland across the entire army.

Personal challenges:
Speed paint troops. [This is a huge challenge for the perfectionist in me]
Get airbrush - become proficient with it.
Learn to accept the small mistakes.
Document lessons learnt

Stay tuned for Update One : Concept Models and Research.

Constructive criticism and pointers welcome and desired.
Last edited by Killshroud on Sep 14 2014 02:07, edited 7 times in total.

Killshroud
Shas

UPDATE 1 : Concept Models and Research

Post#2 » Aug 27 2014 09:44

These models are concept only - before I set out to do all of them

I would love to claim this as my own - inspiration was found on Youtube for the ice effect. (Search paint it black Tau)
I thus start by mimicking something I like, and building on that

The fluff for the shoulder pads : They are firewarriors and proud of it. Being deployed in ice is thought to extinguish the fire in their bellies. :fear: By painting a fire themed logo on the shoulder pad - they are reminded of their origins.
The emblem also represents the rising sun of the Tau Empire.

I am happy with the look and will refine it as I do the unit.

This was also my first experience with an airbrush. Quite happy with my first attempt.
I will decide later if I want to continue with the 'bubbling liquid' theme on the backpacks.

Crisis suit

I painted in the glacier theme - happy with the initial result and will proceed with this.
I've straightened the arms - I'm going for an 'arrogant' aim pose. Heads needs adjustment.

Research
I'm quite confident to make fresh snow bases. I needed to get a quick, realistic way of making ice formations.

Answer : acrylic nail liquid and powder. [Minigirl on Youtube does a great tutorial on this]
This looks best when coated with a layer of gloss varnish.
The green is a part of the GW template sprue. I am going rather use subtle blue transparency paper. The green looks too alien / snot green :nice:

Lessons learnt:
- Airbrush can look powdery : a glaze or varnish coat tends to fix this. When I used thinner paints in many layers this helped already
- Pre-mixed my paint outside of the airbrush cup. This helps me to get the best flow from the start. Mixing in the cup, however careful does change consistency later during spraying.
- Nuln oil makes the model look too grimy and removes some of the colour modulation. Will try oil pinning on the first, next model.

Update 2 will be a photo series of the firewarrior units.

timb6ea
Shas

Re: Ice world Tau

Post#3 » Aug 27 2014 11:04

Looking forward to seeing your progress on this project. Good color choices. I like the fire effects, including the "bubbling liquid" on the backpack. Surprisingly good contrast without overpowering the scheme.

The firewarrior's pants seem to have a gloss finish on them. Is that intentional?
Will Flak'O for food.

Killshroud
Shas

Re: Ice world Tau

Post#4 » Aug 27 2014 11:56

Heya - yes. The model currently has a varnish coat to help with testing some oil pinning ideas. I'm still deciding if I like it.

Killshroud
Shas

UPDATE 2: Firewarrior units

Post#5 » Aug 28 2014 10:11

All are pinned - feet, arms and torso. To get some of the poses, I had to hide some really misaligned arms under the shoulder pads.

I added a receiver to the backpack - burnt a piece of sprue and stretched it out. This is to help to quickly see team leads.

For the grenader, the hand was cut off and pinned back to arm in a more natural throwing pose.

Two of my favorite poses. (At this stage I've outsourced photography to my gf)

Mid stage comparison - I've decide to add a layer of white to armour.

White layer works well - high contrast, but still subtle.

Oil pinned and pre-pinned model. I'm happy with the balance between pristine and weathered.

The theme works well for the unit. Happy with that so far

First base done in fresh snow theme

[EDIT]Unit with their bases - all that remains are the lenses and some faces. And the fire emblems...I just has to do some blending..

HQ and group photo - higher quality pics.

Last edited by Killshroud on Aug 28 2014 11:08, edited 1 time in total.

Silverbranch
Shas

Re: [Project Log]Ice world Tau - Pic heavy

Post#6 » Aug 28 2014 11:03

This is truly impressive work. Your reposing inspires me. When I finish my monkey project I will attempt the copy you if you don't mind :)
Do you use white spray or is that brush work?
Silver

Killshroud
Shas

Re: [Project Log]Ice world Tau - Pic heavy

Post#7 » Aug 28 2014 11:15

Silverbranch wrote:This is truly impressive work. Your reposing inspires me. When I finish my monkey project I will attempt the copy you if you don't mind :)
Do you use white spray or is that brush work?
Silver

Thank you Silver. Copy away!

All models are airbrushed - only brush work will be the shoulder emblems. I wanted to get them done relatively quickly.
Snow is Woodlands soft flake snow.

EDIT - Ethereal is all brush painted.

Killshroud
Shas

UPDATE 3 : Composite of fire emblem and terrain that inspire

Post#8 » Aug 30 2014 03:46

Quick photoshop composite of a couple of warriors with fire emblem. I like the look - and it will also go well with an idea I have for re-imagined Kroot.

This is the WIP terrain that will have lava eruptions on the ice world. (Terrain will have to wait until after my army is done)

wartang
Shas

Re: [Project Log] Ice world Tau - Pic heavy [Update3]

Post#9 » Aug 30 2014 07:32

That looks realy nice, like I should be able to feel the heat.
W/D/L/JPDC
6/2/3/2

samuraioshovah
Shas

Post#10 » Aug 30 2014 06:49

Great work!
Mobile Armor Division...71-12-11 2014 Season 14-4-3

Chris in the socal
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#11 » Aug 31 2014 12:06

That terrain is amazing looking. This would work amazing with my salamanders for warhammer world. Is it a piece you purchases or made? If you made it do you have any directions because I would love to use something like this.
TAU Record 9-2-4

Is That A Sunfish? (Coming Soon)

Myrdin
Shas

Post#12 » Aug 31 2014 04:20

looks great.... damn i really wish i had an Airbrush, would make my life so much easier seeing how you managed to get so many guys done and ready in a single session.
What type of airbrush are you using ?

Killshroud
Shas

Post#13 » Aug 31 2014 07:20

Chris in the socal wrote:That terrain is amazing looking. This would work amazing with my salamanders for warhammer world. Is it a piece you purchases or made? If you made it do you have any directions because I would love to use something like this.

Thank you!

This is a piece that I've been working on whenever I feel a burnt our on model painting :)

Sure - I will look for the old progress pics and post a tutorial. Will post a link here once done.

Killshroud
Shas

Post#14 » Aug 31 2014 07:23

Myrdin wrote:looks great.... damn i really wish i had an Airbrush, would make my life so much easier seeing how you managed to get so many guys done and ready in a single session.
What type of airbrush are you using ?

Just one of those cheaper models that come in the blue foam insert. I believe the brand is AirCraft - for the finer work I am getting a Badger. I'm loving the airbrushing, and it's a worthwhile skill to develop.

Killshroud
Shas

UPDATE 4 : Helmet lenses

Post#15 » Aug 31 2014 07:27

Lenses done. Happy with the result.

Paintee
Shas

Re: [Project Log] Ice world Tau - Pic heavy [Update 4]

Post#16 » Sep 01 2014 03:50

O.M.G. That is AMAZING!!!!!!!

I am doing a Snow Terrain Cardre too, and I think that yours turned out much better than mine, and if you do your terrain similarly, then you will have a perfect Cadre! I like e idea of lava erupting above the surface, and really gives your cadre it's own flare! (excuse the pun... ;) )
I was also wondering about of of your minis;Image

The one on the far right, I know that he is looking a comms device on his wrist, but I was wonder how you did it. Maybe a few more pics of him?

I love your cadre, and I think that it really shows some amazing work. You will have an epically painted army some day. I just hope that I can see it! :D

If you were curios about my cadre, the link is here viewtopic.php?f=21&t=22562, though it is turning into a project log really.
What is this "Me-lee" you speak of?

Killshroud
Shas

Ethereal

Post#17 » Sep 05 2014 10:29

Earlier WIP

Been a long week at the office..no time for painting. At least finished my base for the Ethereal.

This week-end I plan on making progress with the firewarrior emblems. And maybe start the fish spray job planning.

Killshroud
Shas

Re: [Project Log] Ice world Tau - Pic heavy [Update 6]

Post#18 » Sep 07 2014 06:07

Refined fire cloak. Wet blended purple into recesses for some warmth.

Return to “Project Logs”