D´el Amri Sept - Painting Diary

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Myrdin
Shas

Re: D´el Amri Sept (pics and lore)

Post#37 » Jun 29 2015 04:54

Finally finished, the first of my TL XV9 is done and ready, donning the proud colors of D´el Amri Sept Coalition.

Loved this miniature. So many details to play around with. Normally I do not enjoy painting, but this guy was quite the joy to work on.
Keep in mind this is meant to be table top standard as the rest of my army. Looking good from down the table view, and decent enough to not be ashamed of painting it, when held in hand :)

XV9 Twin linked Burst Cannons

Image Image
Image Image

Let me know what you think. All type of constructive feedback is appreciated :)
Additionally I made some progress on my Tetra... as opposite to XV9 painting this girl is.... tedious, and boring to be honest. I don't have that much of a skill to paint big awesome images on flat surfaces and as such I have strong distaste for painting bigger flat surfaces (I can already see myself crying giant rivers of blood once the work on my tanks start... uhh..ohh...)
Image Image

Siyath
Shas

Post#38 » Jun 30 2015 02:16

That XV9 looks good. I think you've progressed as a painter commendably compared to the earlier work seen here. I like the attention to detail, and not cutting the corners when it comes to that. The color scheme and color distribution looks nice, plus the base compliments the model well. Though the pose looks a bit like the suit has just taken a hit to the chest and is reeling back, it's somewhat unbalanced looking right now.

So what's the deal with painting large surfaces? Is there anything we could help you with? Assuming you don't have an airbrush at your disposal, most of our tanks and other vehicles are still comparatively small surfaces, and can easily be done well, for example, by base coating carefully with a spray can version of any paint, and then using an appropriate size brush and well-diluted paints. It usually of course takes a few layers, but the result is not hard to come by with. I can see from your Tetra that you still have a slight problem with the thickness of paints. I know it's been said on this forum a lot of times, but watering down the paints is essential especially for larger surfaces. If you have any questions concerning the ratios and techniques, I'll happily answer anything I can to make it easier for you.

Frodeck
Shas

Post#39 » Jun 30 2015 06:05

All minis look great, i love the bases, especially on remoras. Samurai suit are just neat :)

Myrdin
Shas

Re: D´el Amri Sept - Painting Diary

Post#40 » Sep 11 2015 05:41

Little update on the current mini project.

I was wondering what to paint next, something I have not yet done and stumbled upon one of my stealth suits. Looking at this guy, I felt that this is a good material but was not completely pleased with the standard way the stealth suits look. Especially since this is the only one with a Fusion Blaster attached - thus branding him a Shas´vre I decided to prop him up a little bit...

So out of curiosity I got myself a solid piece of Plasticard... and i must say.... IT...IS...AWSOME ! First time I was using something like this, immediately fell in love with it. Money well spent. I can see the customization options already openning in front of me. To test it out I took the above mentioned stealth Shas´Vre and played around with him a bit.
Still requires to be painted up, but I will be doing that soon. Also - Apologies for the poor quality of the pics, its super cloudy today, and the lamp light was not enough.

Shas´Vre "Mantis"

Image Image
Image Image

Siyath
Shas

Post#41 » Sep 11 2015 09:24

That one has some great potential! Nice job. And welcome to the wonders of plasticard ,D

One random tip, sometimes, just sometimes when you're filing and sanding down the seams and details to plastic, the really fine plastic powder from the process decends into the seams - when you see this happening, give it a wiff of clear spray varnish coat to harden it into the seam. This way you can get really seamless transitions to the modded parts into places which would sometimes be almost impossible to reach otherwise with a file or a piece of water sand paper (or what's it called in English - anyway, the really fine variant).

Wet and dry sandpaper - El'mo ;)

Myrdin
Shas

Post#42 » Nov 13 2015 07:32

Just a quick little something something.
One of the Wraithblades I got went through some customization. I believe with the way it has been done (as in "Wind blowing from one direction) I managed to add some dynamic which fits well with this particular model (one with the "walking" pose). The simple base was used solely for assembling, a neat custom base from Microart studios is on the way as we speak :)
Also with this added and the color scheme already brewing in my head I believe it fits more to its name "WRAITH"blade.
I am still considering some extra modifications with GS and Plasticard, but at the same time I don't wanna overdo it to much as I want at least partially maintain enough of the original feel the model had.

Additionally I have bunch of "Snipefinderds" (pathfinders with Rail rifles, they look so dope, love these guns) undergoing some heavy GS augmentation to add more of the covert ops feel. So far I am very pleased with the outcome, look forwad to the pictures next time :)

ImageImageImage

Myrdin
Shas

Post#43 » Mar 30 2016 10:18

A little update - outfitted a unit of Pathfinders with Greenstuff cloaks and capes. Each and every one of em is sculpted to look different to add some character.
Somehow I managed to get pulled back into Warhammer Fantasy (9th Age rule set), plus combined with some other personal stuff there was not much time to get anything proper done with my army.

Patfhinder team with cloaks.
Or "Snipefinders" as I call them. That look really made one of my opponent repeatably think they are equipped with Sniper rifles like our drones are.
My goal is to have 6 models of each variant - 6 with Rail, 6 with Ion and 6 with Pulse/Markerlights.

Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image

Return to “Project Logs”