Samuraities's Hunter Cadre

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
samuraities
Shas

Samuraities's Hunter Cadre

Post#1 » Sep 10 2014 11:57

Well,
since I've been lurking here for a while and slowly inproving my modelling and painting skills with the help of the large amount of topics on this forum,
I thought it would be good to post my own units and maybe get even more tips & tricks.
I've been painting for probably a year now, starting with a single suit just to see if I liked to paint them,
and before I knew it, I was hooked (I suspect there are lots of people here eho started the same way). :crafty:

my Paint scheme is based upon the Farsight enclaves, so expect lots of red, grey and silver :D

My cadre is stationed on a volcanic world where there's a lot of empty wasteland and, obviously, active volcanoes.
most of the units aren't 'done' yet, still have lots of highlighting and basing to do, but I thought it better to wait with those until I'm better at this stuff.

so without further ado, I'll start with my farsight version:

my farsight indeed isn't standard red, I thought it'd be nice to distinguish him more from the army.
I'm also planning on creating the eight, and they will have similar, but slightly different color schemes

samuraities
Shas

Re: Samuraities's Hunter Cadre

Post#2 » Sep 10 2014 12:46

This here is the first suit I've painted, still like how it came out, except for the static pose, this one has 4 hardpoints magnetized

then there's these two battlesuits from heavysupport, which were a joy to put together.
both of which I use as bodyguards for a regular commander, they both have 6! magnets, embedded.
two in each thruster and the arms are magnetized (some weapons/ systems look better when on the back of the thruster
ImageImage

also there's this one, with two pulse carbines mounted on the jetpack, which could count as a gun drone,
fluffwise, the pilot for the suit got angry after being shot down 'again' while he was still busy deploying, so he asked / pressured the earth caste engineers to create a support system on his suit to help suppress enemy infantry, and deploy safely (he's a field-promoted 'ui who doesn't like to use drones)

and here's the latest crisis suit to make it from my paint station into the battlebox, I recently bought some orcs to have something to paint which isn't Tau (shame on me),
and then I thought, how would it look to have a crisis suit standing on top of a orc and pointing a plasma rifle at his face?
the result stands below:

sadly, only three hardpoints are magnetized due to the addition of the antenna on the left thruster

the latest crisis suits have had their legs cut off below the knee, and repositioned them for more dynamic poses.
Personally I'm wondering why GW doesnt release a crisis suit kit with poseable limbs, maybe in the future?

I know these units aren't done yet, I'm waiting with the final highlights and unit designation markers
until im able to hold my hands stready for more than 2 seconds. does anyone know how to achieve this except for practice, practice, practice?

samuraities
Shas

Post#3 » Sep 10 2014 01:03

I also have some broadsides, with which I found it prudent to give them som shoulder armore,
first one, then I thought, why not two?

they both have their arms and back hardpoints magnetized, so it's easy to switch between rifle and missile modes.

Also, since recently I own a few Devilfishes, Hammerheads and skyrays, most of which are still being painted, this one is almost finished.
though it still needs some somlight, unit markings and maybe a wash or two.

also, there´s a kroot shaper (which was kind of a rushed job), I had to play a game with him a few hours later in which he gloriously died for the greater good.

green eyes, golden hair, OMG it's a super Kroot!!! :eek:

Then there's also an Ethereal, with which I didn't know how to paint him, so I just started and went along with it.

And lastly, the first of my stealth units (about 9 in total) which is sort of done,
would probably need a few more highlights and a wash, though

well that's about it, I also have firewarriors and pathfinders, but they are being repainted, as i dind't ;ike how cartoony they became in the bright colors I used

there's still this one to keep me busy, for now it'll be the centerpiece of the army, even without rules.

if someone has critique or advice, feel free to comment, Whe're all here to learn to become better at the hobby aren't we?

Dal'yth Shas'len'ra
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#4 » Sep 10 2014 01:23

I like the Crisis suit standing on the ork, makes it a very unique model.

The Broadside shoulder pads are to square for my taste, they don't quite have a Tau look to them, but it's your army it just needs to work for you.

Hojdar
Shas

Post#5 » Sep 11 2014 02:57

The unique details on the suits does make for some rally nice personal touches! How many of these are forgeworld models, or do you just mold the unique parts yourself?

Also that riptide looks badass!

samuraities
Shas

Post#6 » Sep 12 2014 12:48

All the additions are scratchbuild with plasticard, reinforced with plastic rod (3x3mm if I'm not mistaken), and a few bits I had left on the sprue.
Currently the only thing in my army from forgeworld is the Y'vahra riptide I picked up at the Forgeworld European day
(not for long, though, I've also ordered a Barracuda from them, which should arrive in a few weeks).

the two other suits are made by Heavy-support, as shown on a topic from Shas'Vre - El'mo
http://advancedtautactica.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=21429

I'll probably be getting a few more of these since they're much more fun to build then the regular blocky suits from GW.

samuraities
Shas

Post#7 » Oct 05 2014 11:59

new new additions to the cadre I'm currently working on:

first is a guerilla-style crisis suit, the fluff for this one is that it's part of an cadre team which is deep inside enemy territory,
without any form of support, which leads to rather creative ways of keeping the few suits running,

This model has a rebuilt upper right arm, (courtesy of a wrecked devilfish which graciously donated one of its landing struts)
also the head has, after being sliced in half by a space marine, been repaired with a former fire warriors helmet.
On the right thigh it carries a confiscated bolter, modified by the earth caste to work with the hands of a crisis suit
The large burst cannon is also an example of what earth caste engineers can do when they get their hands on a bitz box.
this suit, like the rest of my suits, has 4 magnetized hardpoints (including the giant burst cannon)
also, extensive battle damage has been placed upon this model

Image Image

I am currently planning on making a unit of three of these, which will primarily be anti-infantry (just an excuse to make more giant burst cannons on crisis suits, I know. :) )

Also, in celebration of the forgeworld rules for the Y'vahra riptide, I started painting it :biggrin:
not much to say about it, comments and improvement ideas are welcome.
It's also magnetized at the waist so it's easier to transport,
which by the way was quite challenging, given the fact It's quite top-heavy, right now I've used 2 Ø7mm, 1mm thick round magnets, but I might use a thicker one if it becomes neccesary

Image Image

and the base (with sneak peak of the new Phased plasma-flamer)

The base was modelled with something some sort of sealer paste which I bought at a local construction market
the bottom halve will be a patch of wasteland, the top halve will be lava, which also shows the pressure form the 'tides thrusters

Currently I'm planning to paint the lava flash gitz yellow, then partly paint it with fire dragon bright (orange) or wild rider red or both, some dried patches on top and the extruding rocks will be charcoal-black, and then a few cassandra yellow washes to get more depth into it.

if anyone has ideas on how to better paint lava, don't be shy and share! :P

Chris in the socal
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#8 » Oct 05 2014 06:14

As for Lava I have a whole Salamanders army and I used this blog due to the fact that I got the most consistent results which maters when you have over 100 models to base.

I also like the article they have on lava splashes. Check it out.

Lastly don't forget about the OSL the Lava effect would be putting off all under your model.

Good luck with your lava and have fun blending like crazy.
TAU Record 9-2-4

Is That A Sunfish? (Coming Soon)

samuraities
Shas

Post#9 » Oct 23 2014 12:11

just a small update on the new Y'vahra i started painting.
To show the progress I made on the base and the attachments,
on the right side top on the model I've written Y'vahra, and on the left XV-109 in a
tau font found on this site:
http://www.fontineed.com/font/Tau
the weapon arms aren't quite done yet, neither is the base

Image Image
Image Image

also on another note, has anyone else found the wings to be extremely fragile?
I used the model in a battle and during this one of the wings snapped completely off,
I managed to repair it by reinforcing the connection to the hardpoint by
using a piece of plastic rod and a bit of iron wiring,
Does this seem like a design flaw? holding a piece of 2 square cm with a connection of 8 mm long, 1 mm thick?

Myrdin
Shas

Post#10 » Oct 23 2014 12:15

The color scheme fits the big guy better than the standard Crisis suits. It really has that "big and mighty" feel to it.

The base turned out pretty good as well. Maybe drop a single layer of Baal red Wash on the lava for better blend in between the colors and add some greyish drybrush on the rock.
Overall he looks very intimidating and should make for a fine addition to your army :)

samuraities
Shas

Post#11 » Oct 24 2014 02:24

Baal Red?

I don't see it in the games workshop webshop,
which wash is that these days? :-?

The rock has already been drybrushed with grey, it just doesn't show up well on these photos.
I´ll try making a picture outside for a better view

Myrdin
Shas

Post#12 » Oct 24 2014 03:04

Gee.... yes GW lets go and rename the whole range of colors... Still cant get used to the new names *sighs*

Its the only Red Wash - Shade that there is, you ll figure it out, no worries.

Snae'ta
Shas

Post#13 » Oct 24 2014 02:40

The red glaze is called Bloodletter - The only reddish shades are the purple-pinkish Carroburg Crimson and the brownish Reikland Fleshshade, which I happen to use for Hive Fleet Kraken pink weapons and red carapace shade, respectively.

Myrdin
Shas

Post#14 » Oct 24 2014 03:48

Snae'ta wrote:The red glaze is called Bloodletter - The only reddish shades are the purple-pinkish Carroburg Crimson and the brownish Reikland Fleshshade, which I happen to use for Hive Fleet Kraken pink weapons and red carapace shade, respectively.

Well that pretty much sucks.
Baal red was exactly what you d expect of such - basically it was your deep sligthly darker red. Very usefull. Considering what you just told me, it seem you are left with Reikland - which in my opinion is not a red - its a version of the old Ogryn Flesh wash, and a Purple Pink Carroburg.....
just great... Well i guess you can always make your own red wash, just mix the red with some medium and ad a drop of dark wash and there you have it :)
(And yes, i will not bow down and call them Shades, i am stubborn fanboy of the old names for the Citadel color series, and i am proud of it :P )
btw this is (was) Baal Red:

samuraities
Shas

Post#15 » Oct 25 2014 10:16

Thanks for the clarifications,
When I have some time to paint I'll mix some carroburg crimson shade with the bloodletter glaze, that should become orange/red like.

@Snae'ta, can you upload a pic about how that wash turned out, I'm quite curious about it :biggrin:

Snae'ta
Shas

Post#16 » Oct 26 2014 07:54

samuraities wrote:@Snae'ta, can you upload a pic about how that wash turned out, I'm quite curious about it :biggrin:

With pleasure:

iPhone snaps, so the colour may not be perfectly representative. This was my first attempt at a by-the-book Hive Fleet Kraken colour scheme; the fleshborers are Seraphim Sepia washed over white primer, and then one pass of Carroburg Crimson over that. Very quick, very easy, get through 60 of them in no time.

(Apologies if the pics are too large - I couldn't find the maximum picture size stated anywhere. If someone wants to let me know, I can resize them if need be.)

Return to “Project Logs”