Pirate Cadre Of Sector X UPDATED 1-23-17

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Icknaybob
Shas'Saal

Pirate Cadre Of Sector X UPDATED 1-23-17

Post#1 » Oct 17 2014 02:45

:fear: Hello Everybody! It's been long time since I've been in the hobby and it feels good to get back. My building and painting will probably be a bit rusty...but [in best Mario voice] "Here we go!"

The theme is a xeno heavy Tau with the xenos mixed into the main force instead of acting as auxiliary [count as]. I may end up doing more of a pirate theme later on...still undecided.
::edit 10/21/14:: I liked Fio'Ui - LordDirk's Pirate idea. As a background story, the Cadre got separated from the main Tau Empire and was forced to salvage whatever they had and recruit from those they found or defeated. Maybe something along the lines of a black hole /warp that sucks whomever gets too close into a space where there is no sign of anything other than others who have been sucked in as well. Everyone would band together against the Orks, Chaos, Necrons and Tyranids.

Fire Warriors

Kanus Warriors
This model is 100% GW. The head is a from a Necromunda Scavvy dog. Body and legs are from a Space Marine. The back piece is from the 40K Squadron Command Frame. I used a leather hole punch and punched that center piece out as I was going to cover that Tau design with a Twin-linked Heavy Rail Rifle. It would have been a waste so I saved it and used it for the Kanus. "Kanus" comes from the Latin scientific name for a Bulldog.

Eldar
A regular Eldar from the Guardians 4 pack. Saved off all the gems and filed down the tip of the helmet. I wanted to give it a more Tau look so I added a single viewing lens onto the helmet. I used a S631 Craftool Seeder Stamp
Item #6631-00 from Tandy Leather.

Human "Gue'vesa"
Gue'vesa I
Made from the new Militarum Tempestus Scions. Took off all rivets and edge detail. Covered the holes for a more smooth Tau-ish look.
Gue'vesa II
Made from a Cadian Shook Trooper. Took the armor off a Tau Fire Warrior Leg [took forever]. Adding a cover to the helmet as that seems to be the Tau theme.

To Be Determined Race
Got this little guy from Hasslefree Miniatures. HFP004 Stalks. I bought 2 back over 10 years ago specifically to use in my Tau army.

Kroot
Torso taken from the Kroot Ox model. I had purchased A LOT of Kroot back when the Kroot Mercenary Army list was still valid. I had 5 or 6 Kroot Ox and since you can only have 2 or 3 in a Kroot Squad...I'm going to have extras. Might as well put it to some uses.

Broadsides

Knarloc/Broadside I
The Kroot rider/pilot [inspired by: Fio'El - Wolfs16] is wearing a heavily modified Tau armor [Space Marine armor]. The helmet is made from [I think] a Space Marine Scout Shoulder Pad. The filter is made from the tip of a LasRifle. The Heavy Rail Rifles are from the old pewter Broadside models.

Knarloc/Broadside II
The viewing lens are taken from the 40K Squadron Command Frame. It was the eyes from the Chaos Daemon head thing.

Crisis Suits

M.t.M. Pilot
Yes...it is who you think it is. Something I did for fun during a meeting at GW back when I worked there. The head is made from a 6mm Airsoft plastic BB with a greenstuff helmet. The Plume is plasti-card and greenstuff with a paper clip stock. The body is a FW Tau Pilot. The arms are from [I think] a Orge Kingdom Knoblar or a Goblin. Originally I had given him the High-yield Missile Pods but realized only a Broadside can take those and Broadsides are not Jet Pack Infantry. I decided to make him into a Crisis Suit. The 2 Burst Cannons are magnetized.
A little fun with photo effect apps.

Medusae Pilot

Pathfinders

Hrud? [I know the Hrud have been pictured differently throughout the years]

Eldar

Kroot

Ur-Ghul

To be continued...
Last edited by Icknaybob on Jan 24 2017 03:17, edited 5 times in total.

Icknaybob
Shas'Saal

Re: Sept/Cadre Of An Unknown Name [Haven't chosen one yet]

Post#2 » Oct 22 2014 12:08

Got some new goodies in yesterday...Zealot Miniatures female Tau heads!

I'm not a fan of the bald look so I will be sculpting hair onto them. In the mean time, here are some of the ladies...

Had a little fun with this one. I cut of the pony tail off the 2 heads that had them and gave this one pig tails. I think she looks cute.

:::(

Deet
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#3 » Oct 22 2014 12:10

Some interesting takes here. There were several places- like on the leg armor for that Gue'vesa II where you could save yourself a ton of time and effort with press molds. Get yourself some Instant Mold and you'll have that leg armor done in minutes!

Icknaybob
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Oct 22 2014 05:29

Deet wrote:Some interesting takes here. There were several places- like on the leg armor for that Gue'vesa II where you could save yourself a ton of time and effort with press molds. Get yourself some Instant Mold and you'll have that leg armor done in minutes!

Deet: That is exactly what I'm going to do. I have some thermo-plastic for creating temp molds and I will probably press greenstuff into the mold.

Myrdin
Shas

Post#5 » Oct 23 2014 03:43

Some very interesting conversions.
I especially like your take on the Hrud. Considering the Skaven are pretty much the closest thing that fits the current description, i think that conversion is very neat !

Icknaybob
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Oct 28 2014 01:03

Myrdin wrote:Some very interesting conversions.
I especially like your take on the Hrud. Considering the Skaven are pretty much the closest thing that fits the current description, i think that conversion is very neat !

Thanks! I based the Hrud on the original concept. I hate the new images of the Hrud. You can tell they originally had Skaven in mind when they were designing the Hrud and then changed it to something that looks like vomit.

Icknaybob
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Oct 28 2014 02:47

Going with the pirate theme....concept of cadre logo

Chris in the socal
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: Pirate Cadre Of Sector X

Post#8 » Oct 28 2014 06:43

Very inventive I must say kind of like the dark eldar and the eldar. Sounds very fun.
TAU Record 9-2-4

Is That A Sunfish? (Coming Soon)

Icknaybob
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Oct 29 2014 12:49

2nd concept logo

I like this one a little more.

reconjsh
Shas

Post#10 » Oct 29 2014 01:44

I like the second one more. Do the symbols translate to something?
My Cadre Log - [need better pictures]

Icknaybob
Shas'Saal

Post#11 » Oct 29 2014 03:03

reconjsh wrote:I like the second one more. Do the symbols translate to something?

I like the 2nd more too. The symbols were taken from here:

I think they were Fire Caste and drone markings. I inverted some of them. I don't mean for them to really mean anything in general.

Icknaybob
Shas'Saal

Post#12 » Nov 12 2014 07:12

Update time!

Captured Eldar Fire Prism made into Hammerhead. Tank commander is a Jokaero.

Captured Eldar Crimson Hunter made into Razorshark.

Icknaybob
Shas'Saal

Re: Pirate Cadre Of Sector X UPDATED 11-12-14

Post#13 » Nov 13 2014 11:29

Tau captured Eldar Fire Prism converted into a Hammerhead... now with magnetized Railgun.

Icknaybob
Shas'Saal

Post#14 » Nov 20 2014 03:20

I'm torn. I have pictured in my mind 2 possible looks for the army.

1. A unified Tau army so that all the conversions looks Tau like.

2. More kit-bashed like true pirates [though it would seem semi-Ork like]

For a Pirate Tau army, what would you guys like to see?

Jochmann
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#15 » Nov 20 2014 03:40

I think more field repairs of damages would be fitting - and more damages. The pirates must have somehow acquired the vehicles and I think it is very unlikely that they bought them or stole them. It seems more realistic to me, if they salvaged destroyed crafts from the battlefield.

Icknaybob
Shas'Saal

Post#16 » Nov 28 2014 01:53

Icknaybob
Shas'Saal

Post#17 » Jan 16 2017 08:46

I'm back! Fell out of the hobby when I met my ex. Now that I'm single again...back at it. Will take some new pix and post tonight. :fear:

Icknaybob
Shas'Saal

Post#18 » Jan 20 2017 05:07

Here is a Knarloc/Broadside with High-yield Missiles.

Got a Ghostkeel for X-mas so I built it up an magnetized all the weapons.

I've been helping my brother build his Eldar army and my sis's bf build an Ork army so my time is really divided. Hoping to get back into the full swing of things soon. I've ordered some models from Grim Skull/Wargame Exclusives which should be here in a few more days. Got tons of models to work on.

Return to “Project Logs”