Harley's Farsight Cadre

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
HarleyXJGuy
Shas

Harley's Farsight Cadre

Post#1 » Dec 14 2014 08:30

Hello everyone glad to finally get started on my new army.

Put together a 1000 point Farsight Enclave army and just started painting them about a hour ago. I am going for a easy tabletop style using a method I am very comfortable with.

Will post up a couple of pictures today to give you an idea of what the army will look like and the colors chosen. This weapon is a proof of concept before I move forward on some battle suits.

First picture is just base coat of the colors. Army Painter Desert Yellow, Greedy Gold and Matt Black.

This second picture is after the piece has been washed. Please ignore the wet and shiny look of it. Will sort it out once it dries with some of the magic that is Testors Dull Coat. Also you should know that all I have here to take pictures with is a phone so am limited in how much I can adjust exposure. The colors are off a little and are darker in real life.

Thanks for looking and expect more updates soon.

TinkerTau 2.0
Shas

Re: Harley's Farsight Cadre

Post#2 » Dec 17 2014 01:44

Try thinning your paints just a tad and go for multiple thin layers. It will save your minis detail. Other than that pretty crisp painting. Good work so far.
"Sometimes you feel like a Tau..., or else."

HarleyXJGuy
Shas

Post#3 » Dec 17 2014 05:21

Will do man thanks for the tip. Please excuse some of my detail and thick paint issues as I am currently stuck in Afghanistan with no painting light.

Going to have my first Crisis Suit fully painted today and the Fusion Blaster sealed with Testors Dull Coat. Will put up some pictures later today or tomorrow.

Still working out how I want to do this army so it is a little slow for now. Should pick up soon.

reconjsh
Shas

Post#4 » Dec 17 2014 11:52

Yeah, I noticed the thick paint too, but decided not to say anything earlier. It could be your priming that's the problem though. It took me a while to figure out how to prime well. A lot of people put primer on too thick. It's not like spray painting a wheel barrel or mailbox or something. You want the lightest dusting possible to completely cover it black, or whatever primer color you use. There are good YouTube tutorials on this.

Otherwise, I really like what some people have done with the tan and black color scheme... it can look really sharp. Good luck! Looking forward to seeing some units painted up.

Recon.
My Cadre Log - [need better pictures]

timb6ea
Shas

Post#5 » Dec 17 2014 12:21

I had similar problems in the past and got some great advice from this community at this thread Dealing with Orange Peel. I don't know what paint type you use, I use enamel but the advice is sound either way, the only difference being what you use to thin the paints. The pictures on that thread are crap but you'll get the idea.
Will Flak'O for food.

TinkerTau 2.0
Shas

Post#6 » Dec 18 2014 06:23

Hey I paint like crap. But after reading some of the more outrageously phenomenal painters blogs I got marginally better. I figured it wouldn't hurt giving a lil' tip. I hope it helps elevate your painting to astronomical heights.

Now quit wasting time and put up more pics. Sheeesh.
"Sometimes you feel like a Tau..., or else."

Return to “Project Logs”