The Remnants of Tal'eissa[Final images + some advice needed]

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Siyath
Shas

Re: The Remnants of Tal'eissa [Broadsides finished!]

Post#19 » Aug 21 2015 06:48

UPDATE: Two new Broadside-teams added to the OP, so scroll back up in case you missed them. Now on to the two Commanders!

copewintergreen: Thanks man, much appreciated. I look forward to getting all the units done, and then I can just begin adding detail and some coherency.

Blueshock: I won't lie, it's a daunting process, especially since there's no blueprints anywhere. These were my first electrical jobs in my life anyway, and I just had to figure out how to hide all that wiring and LEDding there without making a huge mess. I'm happy to walk you through the process and try to help as best as I can if you ever decide to do them. I highly recommend it though, it was enlightening (no pun intended!) to say the least. And looks special, of course! : )

Megildur
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#20 » Aug 21 2015 04:05

These are so incredibly amazing. I would love to tackle an LED build like you have here. Any chance you have some pictures or your work in progress or what the inside looks like with the wireing and such ?

Siyath
Shas

Post#21 » Aug 24 2015 06:06

Megildur: Sadly I've got no photos of the process. In theory it'd be easy to replicate the blueprints if I'd get photos of the Riptide-kit's parts. I think they might have had them on GW-site one time. Drawing the connection charts over the part photos would be easy in Photoshop. Like I said to Blueshock though, I'm happy to answer any questions and try to walk you through the process the best I can.

Megildur
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#22 » Aug 25 2015 02:35

Ive just never done it before. Not even sure where to start. Its probably easiest to start with unassembled models I'm thinking. I may need to tackle it with whatever my next purchase is. Tau just seem the ideal candidate for some LED work.

Macknight
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#23 » Aug 25 2015 03:16

Very inspiring, one of the best converted and painted tau army I've seen. Especially the drones, cohesive unit. My least like out of he bunch are the crisis, the guns look a little too elongated and their body too thick. Looking forward to more.
For the greater good!

Siyath
Shas

Post#24 » Aug 26 2015 06:55

Megildur wrote:Ive just never done it before. Not even sure where to start. Its probably easiest to start with unassembled models I'm thinking. I may need to tackle it with whatever my next purchase is. Tau just seem the ideal candidate for some LED work.

The understanding connections & soldering -part itself is a walk in a park, the difficult part is to hide all the wiring, LEDs, battery and switch in there. Of course the switch is optional, but in larger models it's more than recommended, I'd say. You could practise just by making a Objective Marker with a hidden LED in it. Fairly simple stuff and lets you get the feeling of it.

Macknight wrote:Very inspiring, one of the best converted and painted tau army I've seen. Especially the drones, cohesive unit. My least like out of he bunch are the crisis, the guns look a little too elongated and their body too thick. Looking forward to more.

Thanks! I'm half way done with the first Commander already, so we'll see something shortly.

Siyath
Shas

Re: The Remnants of Tal'eissa [1/2 Commander progress]

Post#25 » Aug 31 2015 10:43

Some images from the unfinished and WIP Commander (2 x Fusion Blaster, Drone Controller, Target Lock, Warscaper Drone[Shield]).

It's waiting on the first layer of acryl water effect to dry, after which I'll sculpt the splash effects on the water / steps, add some strip banners on the backside, finish painting details and whatever comes to mind while staring at it and poking it with either a knife or a brush.

So far kits used for parts are the finecast Commander Farsight which I cut to pieces down to separate fingers and all, GW Broadside kit, Forge World XV9 kit, paulsongames' custom weapon for the base of the Fusion Blasters and the barrels & details forming the other half of the weapons are made of plasticard and random small bits. That about covers it. And some blood.

[edit: paulsongames, I'm sorry I butcher your parts like this - I guess the only ones featuring even remotely intact ones are my plasma team's weapons. :D But they've been invaluable to me so far, they've been the key to cohesion and all around standardised look in my army when it comes to its weapons.]
Last edited by Siyath on Aug 31 2015 06:01, edited 4 times in total.

ShasODerpy
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: The Remnants of Tal'eissa [1/2 Commander progress!]

Post#26 » Aug 31 2015 11:12

Siyath wrote:And some blood.
Always some blood.. ;)

Your modelling looks incredible, and your painting has been an inspiration to my own.
When painting these Suits, do you keep the Arms/Head etc. detached?

-Derp
Shas'O 50mm, the Foresighted
WIP Tau

Siyath
Shas

Re: The Remnants of Tal'eissa [1/2 Commander progress!]

Post#27 » Aug 31 2015 05:41

ShasODerpy wrote:Your modelling looks incredible, and your painting has been an inspiration to my own.
When painting these Suits, do you keep the Arms/Head etc. detached?

-Derp

Usually I've kept my painting in parts, depending on how complicated the model is. In this case, I have to admit, I was way too impatient and assembled my conversion to pretty much this point you see here and pointed the fine detail brush enough at it to make what you see here. The Broadsides, for example, I did in parts. Base, chassis, arms, details - all painted at different phases.

Siyath
Shas

Re: The Remnants of Tal'eissa [Commander finished]

Post#28 » Sep 05 2015 12:27

UPDATE: Commander and the Warscaper drone updated to the original post. The colours are a bit wonky again it seems. But the army is getting ready, at last. One more Commander to go, and it's ready to be thrown straight into the deep end in a tournament coming up 19th of this month. : )

Here's a photo from another angle to show a bit about what's going on on the other side:

Crisis55
Shas

Post#29 » Dec 17 2015 09:55

I just wanted to add my two cents - these are absolutely stunning models. Utterly impressive painting and really fluffy in the modelling.
Tau'va!

Siyath
Shas

Post#30 » Dec 18 2015 09:57

Crisis55: Thank you so much. The army is actually finished these days (so even the second Commander was eventually done and I've improved the base of the first one + other additions are air intakes for all of the Crisis-suits where now can be seen only the curved angle, right behind their shoulders. And some painting to the other models' forgotten details as well.)

I've completely let everyone down by not photographing the whole army, I had actually two chances to do that, but ran out of time in the tourney I was in. I'll get to it. And I'm sorry.

Crewdawg
Shas

Post#31 » Dec 30 2015 07:44

You're work sir is impeccable and among some of the best I've ever seen. I can only aspire to be half this good. I have been following this thread for a while trying to dissect every aspect of you're LED work, and I had a few questions.

I think I read somewhere your shield just had plastic card behind it and was reflecting the light. Is there a way to get a close up behind the shield? How much did the LED work cost? You also said it was all internal. Where is it all located and is it easily accessible in case of repair, or is it all glued in? The eye looks like a plain LED and nothing else. Is there any added material or effects for the ion accelerator?

I apologize if this seems a little long winded or over the top, but this has inspired my creative side. Also it gives me more drive to finish my current projects.
Any problem can be solved by the right amount of dakka!

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#32 » Dec 30 2015 08:06

Gorgeous work. I've been flat out over December and only today had a chance to sit down and browse the Project Logs.

Great conversions, modelling and painting. Very inspiring :)

paulson games
Shas

Re: The Remnants of Tal'eissa [1/2 Commander progress]

Post#33 » Dec 30 2015 09:10

Siyath wrote: paulsongames, I'm sorry I butcher your parts like this - I guess the only ones featuring even remotely intact ones are my plasma team's weapons. :D But they've been invaluable to me so far, they've been the key to cohesion and all around standardised look in my army when it comes to its weapons.]

No worries :) I make the parts to help people modify their models, it's always interesting to see what people do to further modify the designs. One of my friends repurposes them for a huge variety of stuff, I've seen the gun housings used for stuff I'd never considered like on tanks and fighter aircraft. He likes to mix them with legos and bits from gundam kits and the results are usually quite impressive (and his painting is top notch). http://spaceman-spiff-studio.blogspot.com/

I love what you do with these. I've got a triangular barreled weapon on the way soon that you may like.
Paulson Games parts are now at www.reddogminis.com

Siyath
Shas

Re: The Remnants of Tal'eissa[Final images + some advice needed]

Post#34 » Mar 04 2016 01:22

UPDATE: Completely new photos replaced to the original post, with all the units and a complete army photo included.

Crewdawg: Thank you. I bet you can be more than half this good - you know, the old litany about practise and all that. : ) Concerning the LED-work: You're correct, there's a circular reflecting white plastic in the shield, and it's incorporated between the shield parts, so it's not visible from behind either. So no use taking a photo of it. It's all indeed internal, with the exception of the shield arm, which could be easily built inside the arm as well, but this one's intentionally left there. It's all glued in and definitely not repairable without taking it all apart. However, the battery is replaceable, it's modelled in the back of the Riptide, with shielding and parts so that it doesn't show from there too much. These new pictures actually show that the eye is not a plain LED, but is housed behind a mask with three different sized holes in it so it has more of the "high tech lenses" look to it. The LED-parts didn't really cost very much, about 20€, with enough spares to go for two more Riptides. The whole LED-thing was a proof of concept for myself, so that I know I can do it - more than an actually sensible build. : ) Glad you like them!

Tael: Thank you so much. Means a lot coming from you, always looked up to your work. It's one of the things that made me stay here many years ago.

paulsongames: Heh, yeah, can't stop a modeller when he gets something on his mind ; ). Your friend's builds look amazing. Really enjoyed browsing through those.

& SOME ADVICE NEEDED: As it stands, I'm currently very much thinking about auctioning this army off on eBay and funding my next project with that money. As I'm not an extensively rich person, that would help a great deal with what I have in mind.

However, I could use some shared experiences and advice concerning selling whole armies on eBay. I have read all the Paypal/eBay/etc. threads about insuring policies and how to auction and mail stuff so that you get best possible safety for yourself and the customer. Still, I'm wondering on how a whole army like this would sell, and how much I could ask for it. While it's certainly not "pro-painted", it does look great on a battlefield, even if I say so myself, and this would be a totally unique and ready army to wield for the buyer. So I guess that would be some sort of a plus.

So if you guys here at ATT have any advice or experience concerning this, I would really appreciate some insight.

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Re: The Remnants of Tal'eissa[Final images + some advice needed]

Post#35 » Mar 09 2016 12:51

Gosh.. I havent sold a whole army before- actually no, I sold off a large portion of Scythes of the Emperor marines and my original RT Era Imperial Guard. They went as whole collections.

I feel you should sell as a whole project; if anything can stand on it's own; perhaps seperate out for more bidders on your work.

Overall - this is a unique force and needs to stay together as much as it can. Hope more folks add their thoughts.

Also, I couldn't part with such cool work - I've still got my original Heroquest Orc painted with poster paints.. I'm that bad with keeping favoured projects haha :)

Return to “Project Logs”