LEGO Terrain

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Dubey
Shas

LEGO Terrain

Post#1 » Feb 27 2015 08:51

*warning* IMAGE HEAVY (but hidden by spoiler tags)

I'm reasonably new back in to the hobby, just over a year now, and have no terrain left over from my last foray into warhammer.
As terrain seems to cost quite a large amount of money and my sculpting skills are not particularly incredible, I needed another option.

I have a huge amount of LEGO from my childhood (literally the only toy I ever played with, I was super easy to shop for as a kid.)

So I have begin the epic task of creating a 40k board entirely out of LEGO.

Here are my creations so far:

The Desert.
I regret not going with the classic Tau colours now due to the large number of desert pieces I find myself with.
[spoiler=Desert]Image
Image[/spoiler]

Here are all the forest pieces I have created so far.
[spoiler=Forest]Image

And since it is made of LEGO, this is a totally legit move. =P
Poor melee units.[/spoiler]

Here are all the building terrain pieces I have made.
[spoiler=Buildings]Image
Image[/spoiler]

I'm either going to start building my Kill Teams terrain next for a change of pace, or perhaps I'll build some more forest/jungle pieces.
What do you fellow wargamers think?
Is LEGO a viable terrain solution?
Would you play on a LEGO board?

hiddencamel
Shas

Re: LEGO Terrain

Post#2 » Feb 27 2015 09:38

I think it's pretty fun, but I would rather play with proper terrain pieces personally.

Having said that, as a temporary stand in, I think it works great. Terrain is expensive and/or time consuming, so having so prototype pieces in lego can give you a feel for how certain terrain pieces may affect your games.

But of course, at the end of the day, there aren't any rules, and if YOU are happy playing on Lego terrain, then go crazy! Lego is freaking awesome.

wartang
Shas

Post#3 » Feb 27 2015 11:00

That is cool. Tell me do you use rules for terrain destructionl?/
W/D/L/JPDC
6/2/3/2

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#4 » Feb 27 2015 12:31

Interesting idea. You were a Lego-maniac child for having this amount of bricks... Just enough to do a remake of Lego The Movie !
(A little envious and sad because mine burned in a home fire)

Having proper painted gaming sceneries is great, but time/money consuming, and to have good variations of battlefield, you need many of them and take care of not damage them for the most delicate.
Using books and box is faster and sturdier but lack immersive feeling and there are some shapes you cannot make.
Lego sceneries (or any bricks/block construction toy) is halfway: can achieve a good immersion, a good variability, are quite ready to be used, are sturdy, ...
If you don't want to bother yourself to build/buy proper sceneries, Lego will do fine and may interest some people to play W40k on Lego...

Have fun !

ArttesThePerishable
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Feb 27 2015 12:44

I love this idea and may have to see if I can implement it with my own lego supply! I simply do not have the space to store good painted terrain pieces safely where I live, but legos are perfect for space concerns! And does not look as corny as I would have suspected at first. Thanks for the idea! :D
Blood for the Blood God? No! Fire for my FireBlade!

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Post#6 » Feb 27 2015 09:28

Kael'yn wrote:Interesting idea. You were a Lego-maniac child for having this amount of bricks... Just enough to do a remake of Lego The Movie !
(A little envious and sad because mine burned in a home fire)

Psh. This collection paled into comparison to mine. Sadly, I ended Up "needing" to sell mine (turns out I DIDN'T need to...), and I ended up only get $600 for what was probably well into multiple thousands of dollars worth of parts... :sad:

Return to “Project Logs”