Arctic warfare cadre

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
O'Yarp
Shas

Arctic warfare cadre

Post#1 » Apr 01 2015 01:15

Hello I recently began collecting Tau and I wanted to document some of the stuff I do.

As I live further North than any rightminded person should, I have decided to paint my little men in a snowtheme.

I wanted to start this log with this little doodad:

So I was originally going to make a cyclic ion blaster. I started with a fusion blaster and put the back-end of a seeker missile on the front as well as some other assorted bits.

But what should i call the endresult? Thinking it could either be a ion blaster, an onager gauntlet, or if I find some kind of blades to stick on the end it could be fusion blades?

Best regards.

Koldegaard
Shas

Re: Arctic warfare cadre

Post#2 » Apr 01 2015 02:38

Looks interesting. And lovely with another snow-themed tau army in here.

If you were trying to do a cyclic ion blaster then i Think that id What it should be.. It does not look as CC oriented as i Think an onager or fusion blade should look. So my vote is for the cyclic..

Looking forward to be following your progress :biggrin:

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#3 » Apr 01 2015 03:07

Looks pretty wild, I'm feeling a tethered - propelled mace weapon. That or a spinning maul?

O'Yarp
Shas

Post#4 » Apr 01 2015 05:29

Thought I would follow up with the guy who will carry my new doodad, what ever it is, into battle. This is another conversion with regular crisis suit into commander.

I put in extra joint in the waist and put the jetpacks slightly further apart and more built up. Also cut the arm at the elbow and extended the arm. The hands are built from greenstuff and patience.

Posed the model on the remains of my fallen enemies, in the form of a legless space marine. Also on base, rock made from winecork and snow made from natron and glue.

O'Yarp
Shas

Post#5 » Apr 02 2015 04:20

So this is latest testmodel.

With the stealthsuit I wanted to make it like a ghostly figure appearing in the night and filling your ass with dakka before fading away. Basically a unit on whom battlefield legends and nightmares are based on.

I'll try to update with better picture tomorrow when there is more light.

Any input will be most apreciated.

Best regards

O'Yarp
Shas

Post#6 » Apr 06 2015 04:39

Finished my Stealth team, or at least first part.

The shas'vre is slightly modified, bought the models used so I decided to hack them up a bit. Cut off his helmet and had to recreate the front of the chest piece. Tried initially to make a smaller helmet but failed miserably. So decapitated a second time and went with no helmet. But fitting their status as the commandoes of the Tau I gave him a fittingly red bandana. Also lett hand is magnetized for adding second fusion blaster if I feel the urge to play him as counts as shadowsun.

Blueshock
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#7 » Apr 06 2015 05:03

Gotta love Snow Tau. Your bases look like real snow, I like that. Curious to see what your Kroot might look like. Keep up the good work bud.

Feel bad for that poor squished marine btw, that probably don't feel very good.
My T'au Army

~My Life for the Empire~

O'Yarp
Shas

Post#8 » Apr 08 2015 09:24

Thanks Blueshock.

I tried out my Stealth suits in a battle yesterday, and I must say they brought home the victory for me. Playing with a relic as primary objective I was able to infiltrate my team just within 6 inches of the relic, picked it up in round one and jetpack moved it back to my rear area 6 inches at a time. Victory was mine 5 points to 1. :)

Anyway I recently purchased some Quartz crystals on ebay iot bring some fortress of solitude style to my army. I have put some on the bases of models and I am thinking of making a crystal forest. But I am unsure how to make last. I have some modeling clay I thought I'd stick the crystals in but not sure if this will work, any thoughts on this?

Best regards

TauMan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#9 » Apr 08 2015 08:05

FYI: NEVER EVER FEEL SORRY FOR A 'SQUASHED' ADEPTUS ASTARTES! :P

I have quite a few decapitated Ork heads on my tau, even a 'flattened' couple of Grots my Shas'O landed on when he deepstriked! (Sorry no pictures yet).

They rejected The Greater Good, let'um get squashed! :evil:
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

Siyath
Shas

Post#10 » Apr 09 2015 03:05

Coming from a Nordic country, the idea of making a snow-/winter-themed army has always appealed to me. However, the more experienced I've become in painting and modeling, the more I have realised how difficult a task it would be to pull off so that I'd be personally happy of how I've done. However, that doesn't have anything to do with your post, so let's get to it : )

First few things, basic things, that I'd like to remind you of:

Thin down your paints, especially when painting white (or yellow, or similar light colours).

Always file/sand mould lines. Especially when painting white.

Drill the barrels. Simple but makes a huge difference. I personally use a fresh surgical steel blade for that, and not really a drill - works either way.

And then on to the problematics of white and winter:

When painting white, it's pretty much always a better idea to paint off-white and use white only on highlights. If one wants to get professional or adventurous about it, the off-white should be tinted to a freely picked ambient lighting that might be present. For example bluish for daytime sky reflecting off of fresh snow in general.

I'm astounded how pretty much every winter army seems to forget, or rather neglect, the chance to model frozen metal, or frozen armour. Like, for example here. There might be an idea to explore, now that you've taken on to make a winter-themed army.

It'd be probably a good idea to avoid primary colours, especially red and blue together, when working with large white areas as the dominant colour. At least a blend to secondary colours (orange, purple, and so on) could save it.

Stealth suits are a bit tricky to execute nicely. I like your idea of a ghostly figure in a snow-filled landscape materialising nearby, just a split-second before the air is filled with massive amount of pulse fire. It might be worth it to upsize the bases (if I recall correctly GW has stated that bases can be made bigger, but never smaller. In addition of course to the clause that they should be based on the bases the model is supplied with. But I'd still probably go with 40mm bases, for the modeling opportunities. And out of spite, perhaps.) Imagine how much better it'd look if you'd have room on the base to add some scenery, tank armour fragments still glowing with fusion fires' heat, rubble and stones and stuff like that, covered mainly in snow, but adding an element to reflect to the stealth suits camo-field. It'd give a reason to partially paint the suit with the same colours as the rubble or the armour fragments or even the after glow of the fusion fires.

This ended up being more a random collection of my musings on the subject, and not really a constructive criticism at all. Oh well. I hope you can draw some inspiration from this at least.

Winter-theme is a great opportunity, and please do log your progress here as you get stuff done : )

O'Yarp
Shas

Post#11 » Apr 19 2015 06:24

Siyath wrote:Coming from a Nordic country, the idea of making a snow-/winter-themed army has always appealed to me. However, the more experienced I've become in painting and modeling, the more I have realised how difficult a task it would be to pull off so that I'd be personally happy of how I've done. However, that doesn't have anything to do with your post, so let's get to it : )

Me as an inexperinced Painter on the other hand has no idea what I am getting myself into. Good times :)

I am definitely going to look into frost on things, been thinking of ways to make icicles, but no experiments as of yet.

Anyoldhoo, here is my process for painting FWs.

First base white, Black wash, drybrush white apply camouflage pattern, paint details and last basing. I will eventually get around to drilling holes for bullets. Also a friend is telling me to paint the edges of my bases black, so I might do that as well.

This is the same process I've applied to my crisis and broadsides suites as well, muta mutandis.

Any and all critique is most welcome.

Best regards

Blueshock
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#12 » Apr 20 2015 12:29

Really nice looking fire warriors you got there. The posing is great and I love the step by step comparison for the paint scheme. I will be honest though, I'm not overly fond of the red on the lenses and gun barrels, blue or green would look fantastic with the black lens mount on the helmets. The greys, white and blues you used would suggest a fantastic blue or green lens, but blue and red kind of attack each other for attention if that makes any sense. Just my opinion and your models look great as they are. Look forward to seeing more.
My T'au Army

~My Life for the Empire~

O'Yarp
Shas

Post#13 » Apr 20 2015 02:08

Thanks blue :)

The reason for the red was to put some warmth into the very cold colourtheme as well as providing some eyegrabbing discord, I was thinking the army would be a bit drab without something that lights it up.

But i might test with some different colours for the lenses in a bit.

But for my own motivation, this is my painted army so far.

Best regards

O'Yarp
Shas

Post#14 » Apr 25 2015 03:27

Using this list my little blue men won a glorious victory for the greater good.

++ Tau Empire: Codex (2013) (Combined Arms Detachment) ++

+ HQ +

Commander [Cyclic ion blaster, Drone controller, 2x Marker Drone, Twin-linked missile pod]

+ Elites +

Stealth Team [Stealth Shas'ui, Stealth Shas'ui]
····Stealth Shas'ui (fusion) [Target lock]

XV8 Crisis Team [2x Marker Drone]
····Crisis Shas'ui [Flamer, Twin-linked missile pod]
····Crisis Shas'ui [Twin-linked missile pod]

+ Troops +

Fire Warrior Team [6x Fire Warrior Shas'la with pulse rifle]

Fire Warrior Team [6x Fire Warrior Shas'la with pulse rifle]
····Fire Warrior Shas'ui [Markerlight and target lock, Pulse rifle]

+ Fast Attack +

Piranhas
····Piranha [Burst cannon]

+ Heavy Support +

Hammerhead Gunship [Decoy launchers, Railgun with submunitions, Two Gun Drones]

XV88 Broadside Team
····Broadside Shas'ui [Counterfire defence system, Twin-linked high-yield missile pod, Twin-linked smart missile system]

All str 5 against infantry and light vehicles. Missiles for everybody. HH and fusioblaster for AV 14. Stealthsuit infiltrate and grab objectivrs.

The battle was a three way battle against csm/deamons type nurgle and mechanized space marines.

Csm bought a deamonprince hq
Two hellbrutes
Small chaosspawn gang
And a defiler

Space marines brought
Named hq, think it was salamanderguy
Two troops tactical marines
Scouts
Landraider
Rhino

Some highlights include:

First blood on very first shot of the game, penetrating hit on hellbrute by HH.

Scored no less than 3 vp with the stealthsuits by grabbing objectives.

Managed to wipe an entire tactical squad hiding in a house through one missile volley from the crisisteam.

All parts did their things and it worked like a charm.

Lessons from the match:
Stealthteams are great for grabbing objectives at start of the game.

Shooting stuff with missiles is awfully great fun! More missiles!

O'Yarp
Shas

Post#15 » Apr 30 2015 12:36

Does anyone have experience with buying stuff from these guys:

http://www.brush4hire.com/

??

I think some of their more sci-fi counts as aegis looks really cool. Sent them an email but so far no response. Is the shop still open?

Best regards

Return to “Project Logs”