[WIP][Project log] Themoogle's N'dras cadre

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
themoogle
Shas

[WIP][Project log] Themoogle's N'dras cadre

Post#1 » Apr 21 2015 03:37

Mission Briefing

Remnants of Sept N'dras
Core: Infiltrate, subjugate, adapt and assist.
Order: The detachment shall provide necessary support in conflicts of the greater good without hesitation.
Due to the recent events regarding the N'dras system the Detachment are considered a Nomad detachment till
further systems have been attained and a suitable system can be assigned.

Resources/Reinforcements: Resources are limited, thus extra care with current equipment is utmost important. Salvage and reuse.
N'dras Fio have shown a kles side in refitting and repairing current equipment, use that to your advantage.
As of reinforcements, there will be none.

Tau'va

--------------------

N'dras detachment

Commander:
Type:N/A
Name: N/A

Stand in commander:
Type: Fireblade
Name: N/A

Troops:

-First strike team:
SHAS'UI: Shas'Ui N'dras R'ka
BIO: R'ka earned her name in battle throughout numerous campaigns with her love for her marksmanship. Her leadership and love for staying as far from the enemy might have been seen as cowardice to some other races but it was well within her tactics and understanding that a life, no matter artificial or not was not something to be wasted in vain. Her longest kill was at 1391 yards with the scope only, during a virus attack on her squads aiming assistant AI, thus her name was earned in combat.

-Second strike team:
SHAS'UI: Shas'Ui N'dras Doran'ro
BIO: Doran'ro loved seeing how things worked, his interest for tinkering and resource management reminded his battle siblings more of an earth cast then a fire cast, but in the end this led to good things. Doran'ro resourcefulness often led him to sustain minimal wounds and casualties since he was nearly prepared for any situation a strike team could face, never backing down on carrying an extra 10 pounds if it would mean that they could avoid another body bag being carried back. Materials are scarse, but life is even more.

-First breacher team:
SHAS'UI: Shas'Ui N'dras Cova'myr
BIO: As the first to step upon the battlefield he also leaves the battle field last within his team. Their ruthless up close and personal style earned him the name Cova'myr as his pulse blaster shattered the enemy’s will, their formations and even their armor. It has had its toll on his body but also taught him a lot of lessons about war with other races. One being: If you can see their "eyes", their armor will shatter.

-Second breacher team:
SHAS'UI: Shas'Ui N'dras Lar'Ru'ro
BIO: As one of the last remaining artificial bipedal drones they charged the forces of chaos in the last days and turned the tide. Their up close and personal style surprised Chaos in the terms that it was unusual when facing Tau especially by troops, and the fact that something on two legs still attacked them since they thought they had eradicated all life. Creating a shock and confusion amongst the enemy’s. After the defeat of Chaos they were found by the remnants forces and enhanced their AI protocols.

-First auxiliary squad:
Kroots have been found.
Kroots was feasting on something dead...
Awaiting further information.

-Second auxiliary squad:
N/A

Fast attack:

-First Pathfinder
SHAS'UI: Shas'Ui N'dras Rra'Vah'cha
BIO: The specialty to stay infiltrated, to stay out of sights was something Rra'Vah'vha learned as a small child, playing hide and seek with his friends. His unit specializes in marking the targets for their battle siblings and make sure that the strikes from the sky comes with precision. Even though preferring to light his targets up he never stays shy of bringing with him his favorite rail rifle, for those pesky guardsmen.

Elite:

-Primary xv-104
PILOT: Shas'Vre N'dras Elan'Korst'la
STATUS: Refitting and repairing onboard system after failed EMP detonation
BIO: After numerous deployments he proved his worth, standing against the hordes of the Orks, the Empire of man, the Forces of chaos even the mighty Tyranids he showed them no mercy, no signs of giving up. Controlling a heavy weapons platform he saw it as his duty to rain down fire upon the enemies of the greater good. Striking down hard and swiftly without taking one step back earned him his name as the sturdy reaper

Heavy support:

-Broadside team 1
PILOT: Shas'Vre N'dras Oni'ka
BIO: Earning their ranks and being promoted to pilot the Broadsider suits was a dream come true for the trio, from the same fire team they have been trained and battle hardened, specializing as a urban heavy support unit, they drop in and run along the buildings and rain missiles on painted targets, making sure to send their enemies to their respective deity one payload at the time.

-Primary Hammerhead
Pilot: ... drunk, found. Replaced with Longstrike

Further resources and reinforcements within the detachment have been sought for.
Current status: Prospects found, Weapon systems from past infiltration missions are currently being refitted

End of report
-------------------

System analyze of retrieved her'ex'vre and weapon:
Refitting possible. Duplication is not.
Scarce resources and risk of detection will not allow another to be built
Refitting project: XV-8X ETA: N/A

End of Report
---------------------

So I have been working on this for a while by lurking this forum and gathering inspiration and knowledge in what I need to get things done.
I've managed to get the materials and enough units to get a small variety in play styles for the small 500pt skirmishes me and some friends play and hope to inspire
someone with my ideas and my odd creations. I've never worked with green stuff nor painted "professionally" before, but I did attempt to paint some Mutant chronicles figurines.
That said I hope to be able to add some fluff behind my cadre and hopefully some great images as time passes.
Currently I've only managed to paint 6 fire warriors so far and started on the next 6, but I've learned some very vital pointers in the process: Don't attach everything pre painting!
In any case.
Hope you all enjoy and C&C is highly appreciated :)

Tau'va

Image Image
Last edited by themoogle on Apr 19 2016 02:37, edited 6 times in total.

Blueshock
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Re: [WIP] Themoogle's N'dras cadre

Post#2 » Apr 21 2015 04:04

Awesome start to a project log my friend. I love how the briefing tells us a story about their origins and what we can expect to see in future development of your Cadre. While there may not be any reinforcements I will inform the Aun of your position so that we may monitor your progress and development. Please send regular reports as often as possible without risking detection from enemy forces. Consider your Cadre log bookmarked! :)
My T'au Army

~My Life for the Empire~

themoogle
Shas

Post#3 » Apr 21 2015 06:30

Thank you for those kind words :)
I've been tinkering if I should adjust the cape colors so they don't blend in as much with the fatigues and give a more variety in the camouflage.
There's details I've missed in the warriors that I will attempt to correct as time goes by and that I actually get better brushes.
Pro tip! Don't buy 5 Euro paintbrush bundles from stores that sells everything. they seem nice but they don't retain the shape and look like beakers hair after one use.

themoogle
Shas

Post#4 » Mar 24 2016 04:18

And the crypt arrises.. or the was it the crypt keeper?
Anyways
Its been a long year of denial and other life thingys getting in the way. But the path to the greater good has once more been revealed to me.
Ive been doing some night painting and assembling, trying to make a good job with my models. Learning by amazingly wellwritten articles on this site and over the net. Learning by doing and analyzing my mistakes.
Most importantly .. don't .. EVER just adhock the entire model .. especialy with a acetone based addhesive.
With that said
Ive finished my fireblade, a hammerhead (with the somewhat drunk longstrike, needs to get the base done with its battery holder) and a table ready missileside(needs detailing, a base and touchups).
Managed to utterly destroy my friends small 500 point green tide(I'd kinda call it "the green splash")
Misstakes have been made, misstakes I wont make in the future. and also will take greater care when im assembling my models, makign sure im well prepared with everythign before i start gluing stuff together.
Well regardless
some progress pictures and the first post have been updated.
C&C is highly appreciated :)
Tau'va
ImageImageImage

Ingold
Shas'Saal

Re: [WIP][Project log] Themoogle's N'dras cadre

Post#5 » Apr 03 2016 07:29

First of all, what a great way to introduce your cadre! I love it.

Secondly, I really like this painting scheme. It gives a very dark vibe, like your cadre is fighting on a night world.

Hopefully I can give you some feedback to improve your all ready nice models.
I'm missing some strong highlights on your models. The edges of the pulse rifle and armor of the Fireblade really need a highlight to point them more out. Also it look like his toes are just the base colour. He doesn't look 'ready' to me.

I'm missing a shade between the armor and the clothes of the Fire Warrior. IMO it blends too much for pointing out that it are two totally different aspects of your model. His feet/hooves are the same color as his trousers.

The metallic battle damage on the Hammerhead has not yet that realistic look. I looks too much like just strokes with your brush. You can make more realistic damage using a sponge, for example the sponges you can with the old blisters. Put a little paint on the sponge, dab it until there is almost no paint on the sponge left, and then carefully dab on your model. You can even stroke a little for making dirty sweeps on your model.

Please don't get me wrong, after reading my comment it could maybe be a little direct, but it is to help you improve your painting skills!

Good luck!

themoogle
Shas

Post#6 » Apr 03 2016 10:10

Ohh no no don't worry :) your C&C was very constructive.
I aspire to become a better painter and get things to look better.
The first batch of fire warriors were my first attempt and was in a learning process(Still am) I've changed the fatigues from brown to a black color instead and well thanks to the painting book I now understand a bit more of what is what on a firewarrior model. So next batch will be a bit better hopefully.

It does look like simple brush storkes, the battle damage on the hammerhead. I should try it out on the Broadsid, think I have some dish sponges somewere.
And now that you mention it I think I forgot the feet actually and the highlights on my fireblade. Ill see what I can improve on it.

Once again Thank you :)

themoogle
Shas

Post#7 » Apr 05 2016 02:33

And, its time to send in ... the drones!

ImageImage
Its a WIP, Im experimenting with the battle damage. I used abbadon black first but now im using Rhinox hide as a base were I use the "sponge dab thingy technique", then I add more of the watered down rhinox hide to create areas, and try and keep the general outer lines as the sponge creates them, then here and there I still add strokes with the brush.
After that i select some areas were i add ironbreaker to show off as mroe deeper cuts. Im thinking of adding a highlight area on the lower parts of the damages but not sure.

C&C on the damages would be highly appreciated
ohh and my missile side

ImageImage

With his trophy from his very first game :)

I need to clean up the base around the edges and also cover up the glue residue

Till next time Tay'va

Ingold
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Apr 05 2016 04:36

That looks very good! I'm glad the sponge-technique turned out so well. I like it a lot.

The bases of the drones and Broadside look very good. What material have you used for the bigger stones?

themoogle
Shas

Post#9 » Apr 05 2016 05:15

Thank you means a lot to hear that :)

The larger stones is actualy pieces of bark that I bought from a gardening center. Its hard to comeby the larger pieces so I bought a bag of "cover bark" its used to cover the dirt in pot plants during the winter outside or the open dirt areas of smaller flowers. its mostly sifting thrue the bag to see whats usuable and whats not. and need to be dried a bit beforehand.
The sand I used is a mix of normal sandbox sand bought from a hardware store and "grit" from galeforce 9. I added some technical ?stirland? mud to the areas I missed since the PVA glue I used was too old and didnt stick to the bases.
I used rhinox hide as base color then drybrushed with mournfang brown, then a sienna like color, then zamari desert. and finished off with a administratum grey. I can update the exact colors when I come home. The larger stones is just mechanicus grey and administratum grey dry brushing.

n1md4
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#10 » Apr 05 2016 09:29

That's a really nice looking drone squad, the dark tone looks really good. They all look great, but the drones are my favourite.
This is a sad day for the nobel profession of otter milking -- Knives
Onmyou's Motivation Service

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#11 » Apr 05 2016 10:03

It's awesome that I can see how my army will look like even though my green is a bit more vibrant and that I use orange instead of yellow. :D

Looking good so far!

themoogle
Shas

Post#12 » Apr 06 2016 06:37

It's quite fun this project :)
It's like a living organism. I may have a path for it but it grows and evolves as time goes by.
My next unit is my riptide, its been bascoated, then airbrushed in the main color, im working on it piece by piece to get most details done without risking messing other parts up. Im in a conflict with what weapon systems and support systems to add to it. I've already magnetized the main weapon thanks to the awesome guide
by Zenta Check it out :)

Im going to finish these models of and as I've learned a ton of preperation techniques, like filling and moldline removal they will become better and better. My next batch after my riptide will be 2 more missilesides and a unit of 10 firewarriors. Hopefully I will be able to put my "old" firewarriors into their retirement home.

I Wanted to extend my thanks to the Comments and critique I've recieved so far and to all the amazing articles and logs people have posted here over time. It's an inspiration to be seeing all this creativity and all the progress everyone is making.
Hopefully my own work will progress and evolve and hopefully inspire some.

Tau'va

themoogle
Shas

Post#13 » Apr 12 2016 02:14

And heres some of the WIP images of my Riptide. Im VERY happy with the liquid greenstuff that I let to cure properly before I sanded it down and repainted. I was going over if I was going to learn on this model or keep it as is, but decided to repair as much of the errors as I saw on this one to get better till next model.
I still have the support systems and the main guns to paint and detail then i'll move on to the rest of Oni'ka´s squad(2 more missile sides).

I added more fluff to my fluff as well :)

ImageImageImage

as always C&C is highly appreciated :)

Tau'va

Ingold
Shas'Saal

Post#14 » Apr 12 2016 05:05

Lovely stuff so far. I see you really improving on painting those damaged parts now!

themoogle
Shas

Post#15 » Apr 19 2016 02:43

Thank you for the comments :)
I did a bit of an experiment with some IKEA stuff (I love shoping at IKEA, its ... its ungodly how much i love shoping there ...)
I made a newer version of my lighning box, still need to get more light in there and perhaps avoid taking photos in a completely dark room while watching movies hmm

A before image:
After image:
ImageImage

At the moment i've basecoated 2 more broadsiders and some drones and two suprises as well :)
I really love working on bases and try to tell a story with them. I'll try and show more of the new bases this weekend with a partialy assembled broadside on it.

Was thinking of writing down my process of painting and what colors I use for all the steps if it would be intersting

As before any C&C is HIGHLY appreciated. I learn thanks to the comments and tips :)
Tau'va

Valaas
Shas'Saal

Post#16 » Jul 23 2016 05:03

Really like your color scheme, the yellow is a great contrasting color to the green.

The battle damage looks great and as you'll have seem from my Riptide, you can't beat a good scenic base.

The only suggestion I have is that you paint some small panels on the Riptides gun with your yellow, to break up the block of green, you could also consider painting the ends of the missiles in your smart missile system yellow as it will again break up the green a little.

It's just my preference, the model and your broadsides look great.

Cheers,
Valaas

Return to “Project Logs”