Tau'n 12th Experimental Cadre. With Tau'n 103rd Recon Cadre

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
TrueSize
Shas

Tau'n 12th Experimental Cadre. With Tau'n 103rd Recon Cadre

Post#1 » May 12 2015 09:18

It has been over 10 long years since I last wielded my Tau in battle. Over a decade of occasionally glimpsing furtively at my once favourite hobby through shop windows as my string of ex-girlfriends dragged me past quickly. And finally by chance after watching a random Tau battle report on youtube... I have returned.

Digging up my old Tau collection... I cringed. Tau XV8 suits not in correct proportions (damn you gamesworkshop! From 3rd ed till now no new XV8s????!!!!), Painting over mold lines on my Fire warriors, Path finders and XV15s. Thick paint on several models.... it was time to refit them to 'Adult level' skill and patience. (I was 18 when I stopped playing).

First up. The core of my Army. The 12th Experimental Cadre.

My Commander
ImageImage

The currently only new addition of my army. With a steady hand and acquired skills over the years since I stopped playing, I have magnetised the weapons and arms as well as using plasticard and greenstuff much more cleanly. The battlesuit itself is an experiment based on a recovered XV8 wreckage from an old lost 1st sphere expansion expedition (of Tau'n) where the current Shas'el pilot was found. (Fluff to come soon elsewhere). Done some minor conversions, added a new lens for the 'head' as I didn't like how the head reminded me of the XV8s. Armoured the front plate and added vents for that Air caste influence and awaiting leg armour bits (from Forgeworld).

And next up is my Firewarriors. 2 full squads of 12.

Dressed in the old Tau'n colours, they are currently undergoing rest and refitting (in other words time to paint strip them, remove mold lines and paint a new colour scheme!) after years of arduous campaigning. They will be heading to a former Imperial held world (currently classified) and the only briefing they are given is that it is a volcanic ice world. Their current primary duty is to guard all the experimental equipment to be shipped from Tau'n to wherever.

Recovered XV8 suit(From Truescale project in modelling).
The plan is to create 5 more suits for the army. Currently awaiting some Earth Caste experimental parts (Forgeworld bits). Looking at these photos... help you notice the flaws you thought you got rid of... more greenstuffing and sanding to be done >_>

ImageImage

Future additions will probably include 3 Razorsharks (To symbolize the close association of Tau'n with the Air caste), an XV104 Riptide (on the way already!), and more than likely another Devilfish.

Current Vehicle Pool:
One Devilfish
One Hammerhead

Both to be paint stripped in preparation for new scheme.

And now...

The Detachment. The Tau'n 103rd Recon Cadre.

The Pathfinders led by Darkstrider the 100thmilliionTau-needtocomeupwithanameforhim-thateveryoneelseneedshim, is currently now floating in paint stripper, and once out of the bath, will be given conversions to make him Darkstridery. Future plans include buying the new plastic Pathfinder boxed set... much easier to convert than with hard metal...

I am toying with the idea with hessian material to make camo cloaks for the path finders. Maybe stiffen them up with PVA and glue them on. Any thoughts on the idea? Or has anyone else done it before?

The XV15s

a lot of fond memories with this unit. Perhaps the only Tau in my region that luckily took off the last wound from a daemon prince/princess of Slaanesh in hand to hand combat. Although most of the unit was dead on the charge of the daemon, the sole survivor killed it with his burst cannon wielded like an impromptu spear... There will be some XV25s mixed into the unit to represent that the 103rd is a cadre always given new equipment last...

Future additions will include of course a troop choice. This will be a kroot carnivore squad but will be a Guevesa'la stand in instead with figures from Mantic games corporation marines(when i can buy them cheaply). Two krootox will be added but represented instead with the stripped down versions of the XV8s without armour. or something similar. Still in planning stage.

As for the colour scheme... I was thinking of white armour with either red or grey for the clothing bits. Thoughts?

Zhege
Shas

Re: Tau'n 12th Experimental Cadre. With Tau'n 103rd Recon Cadre

Post#2 » May 12 2015 02:53

As for the colour scheme... I was thinking of white armour with either red or grey for the clothing bits. Thoughts?

You mean like the tau in that Cities of Death cover picture? I think the red cloth would look best. Especially with the volcanic ice world theme. If they're going to a snowy zone then maybe cloaks for pathfinders would be nice to help them keep warm :) .

I'm going to read you're fluff when you put it up to see what all these battlesuit modifications mean.

TrueSize
Shas

Re: Tau'n 12th Experimental Cadre. With Tau'n 103rd Recon Cadre

Post#3 » May 13 2015 12:41

Zhege wrote:

You mean like the tau in that Cities of Death cover picture? I think the red cloth would look best. Especially with the volcanic ice world theme. If they're going to a snowy zone then maybe cloaks for pathfinders would be nice to help them keep warm :) .

I'm going to read you're fluff when you put it up to see what all these battlesuit modifications mean.

Yea, the Nimbosa campaign where for some reason, Viorla fire warriors are wearing the worse camouflage scheme for the environment and are embroiled in hand to hand combat. :-?

And it looks like i would need to skip on the cloaks since I have done some conversions for my version of 'Darkstrider'. I was not a huge fan of the Darkstrider released by GW and thought might as well make my own. I think I might add some pouches from spacemarine bits. The pathfinders are now bare metal, and the XV15s are now in the paint strip bath. Can't wait to start painting soon.

I hope no one is bored by me just doing conversions on my Cadre and not painting. I am currently in the purchasing phase and what I do have currently is being paint stripped and undergoing some basic conversions. It seems more than highly likely that the detachment will be completed before the core army as I have just managed to get my hands on some Mantic marines(very cheaply too! 20 marines for 30AUD!)and ordered some bits from Pig Iron miniatures.

And the plan for the krootox replacement will be something like this...

The plan is for the right arm to be assisted by a robotic arm to help fire their 'autocannon'. Or more like the smartgun 'arm' from the movie "Aliens". I am going to salvage an old broadside for this and throw in a human pilot on a bare exoskeleton to represent the terrible 6+ armour save...

The Tau 103rd Recon Cadre will consist of:
'Darkstrider' guy
Full PathFinder squad.
Full mix of XV15s and XV25s as the stealth team.
20 Human Auxiliaries (Gue'vesa'la). Or as the humans call themselves... the ODT. Orbital Drop Trooper.

Origins of the ODT

The ODT was recently formed and is only possible because of the vast Kor'vattra (Tau navy) of the Tau'n Sept. With such resources at their disposal, limited experimental units were formed using some of the more common battlefield doctrines encountered from the Imperium. However, the Tau still value all life equally and could not condone sending a unit, even a Gue'vesa unit, into a heavily contested dropzone where the casualty rates was sure to be high. And thus, the ODT was formed to perform LRRP (Long Range Reconnaissance Patrols) deep inside enemy held worlds, where the most common method of insertion was to have their drop pods follow debris into the atmosphere, to appear as a natural phenomenon to the more advance enemies they may face. Such a method would mean using a DSI entry(Deep Space Insertion. The human troopers have unsurprisingly called it "Dizzy" entry) whereby their pods would be launched from a Tau vessel beyond the edge of enemy sensors and would use inertia to navigate to their target world. This could take anywhere from a few weeks to months in the silence of space. Another noted benefit as to why the ODT was allowed to form, was because of their potential to infiltrate hostile human populations of the Imperium with relative ease. And thus the requirements to be selected as an ODT as one could imagine is quite stringent.

A Gue'vesa'la has to be a 5th generation citizen of the Tau Empire.
A Gue'vesa'la has to have natural fieldcraft. Most of the Gue'vesa'la ODT are drawn from the frontier worlds.
A Gue'vesa'la has to have the mental fortitude to withstand long periods in the void of space without going 'stir crazy'.
A Gue'vesa'la has to have initiative to continue the mission even without the presence of a superior officer.

(There is more.... but I think its becoming more like fluff... yeah I will write it somewhere else. It is heavily influenced by the colonial marines of the movie "Aliens" as well as the naming sense from the ODST from "Halo". A game which I have never played! )
:P
As you can see, I build my army on a narrative. Of course I play to win, but I view my models, my little toy soldiers as 'not' just toy soldiers, but as living creatures that really want to live... and not die by doing something unrealistic. You know, just like real life. Therefore I will build my list accordingly. To tell a story. And right now it seems the 103rd Recon Cadre will take the spotlight. I believe they will be fully completed within the next 2 weeks depending on when the bits and spares arrive. And one final bit of fluff to explain their existence.

The 103rd Recon Cadre was attached to perform several roles for the 12th Experimental cadre. One was to find various suitable sites to perform a variety of field testing. To patrol the area and hunt for unauthorised 'eyes'. And the ODT are there because they have just finished an assignment (on that same world) and have yet to be reassigned. The ODT are currently on picket duty on several known routes into the Tau occupied territory and the 103rd is currently awaiting the arrival of the 12th Experimental Cadre

And hopefully my next post will contain the new 'goodies' :P :P :P

Even if not so, I believe the Pathfinders and XV15s will be painted by then. Next on the shopping list is the Pathfinders and XV25s boxed set. Just have to hide the spending from the wife lol.

Return to “Project Logs”