[Project Log] Issendrors Taros Campaign

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Issendror
Shas

[Project Log] Issendrors Taros Campaign

Post#1 » Jun 11 2015 01:14

Issendrors Taros Campaign - The Annexation of T'ros

The time is nigh to share this long time hobby project of mine. Coming the long way around the hobby
from model-airplanes, to 15mm fantasy armies, to Warhammmer and at last Warhammmer 40.000, I´ve got
quiet a background in these matters.

Building armies strictly after the 5/6th ed., rules up to 2000 Points my first major inspiration was
the 'cities of death' rule-addition. The new plastic terrain was so crazy versatile in my opinion,
I couldn't hold myself back building a whole board.

It was at that time I stumbled upon the Forge World Book:'Imperial Armour Vol. Three'
I was captivated.
I fell immediatly for the setting, the terrain and the forge world XV-suits - a new project was born.

Finally, after achieving the painting standards I've imposed on myself, the hunter cadre is reaching
the first 500 points - the milestone to start with the terrain of Taros itself.

This thread is a project-thread creating my 'Tau Hunter Cadre' and a modular desert scape portraying
the environment and battlefields of Taros II, as an homage to Warwick Kinrade, Tony Cottrell, Daren
Parrwood and Will Hayes.

Progress will be slow but steady. I'll try to update the first post to spare everyone the search for
referring pictures in addition to the common chronological order of posts.
I'll share paint-, construction- an conversion-techniques on request and without. :fear:

I hope you'll enjoy this project as much as I do.

Starting with basic 'groundworks':

Cutting tiles (40x60cm / 16x24 inch):

Cutting foam:

Hardening and pressure:

Bare terrain:

Keep it organized and safe:

-------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------- Update: June 19 ----------------------

Glue:
First things first - If you're glueing foamboards or insulation panels you have to differ between glueing big or
small surfaces.

For the first use appropriate products, like polystyrene glue and follow the instructions.
Glue it outside, in the garage or at a table in the garden, but if you have to glue indoors don´t ever glue
with windows closed and leave the room after applying and pressuring the panels. Let them air for at least
half a day.
So, why the hassle?
Indeed, you could also glue everything with white glue/wood glue and just air it for an hour, but here is the thing -
it just dries on the outer edges. Polystyrene-boards and insulation panels don't soak or let the water
evaporate, precisely what the white glue needs in order to stick. So please keep that in mind.

Smaller terrain-pieces, however, are ideal for thinned white glue, particularly if your cutting und sanding already
glued pieces. The still not hardened glue will leak out of the cut edges and seal it anew.

Next up is the sand surface of the boards and protecting the edges.

Sanding:
After sealing the insulation boards with thinned white glue, I applied a new layer of thinned white glue
and strewed the sand on top.

Use more sand than necessary, the weight of the sand itself benefits the procedure.
After an hour setting time.

Protection:
To protect the seams of the board and the foam-panel edges I used a high-strength fabric-tape, waterproof
and sturdy.
I preferred to attach it before the sanding, but there are times you can get to eager with your work. :roll:

Fold the tape with your thumbnail and cut it on the edges.

From beneath you should protect these seams with more tape.

---------------------- Update: June 22 ----------------------

Sealing & foundation:
I approached the next step of painting the boards with two goals in mind:
Don´t grind off the Sand while applying paint and improve the durability of the board.

The solution is rather simple.

I prepared a little bowl/tray to mix the colour with white glue.
The colour will become brighter at first, but remember the glue will become transparent and
the colour returns to its original tone.
Next I added a slight sip of water to keep the mix rather thin to reach every gap between the
sand grains.

The next picture shows the three actual work steps:
Bare - primed - dry brushed.

Next are some pictures of my first attempts to create some modular terrain pieces.
I hope you like it. :smile:

Through imperial terraforming introduced shrubs and dry grass will be added later.

---------------------- Update: July 01 ----------------------

Materials:

Cork sheets (3-5mm / 0.12-0.2 in)
medium-density woodfiberboard (6mm / 0.024 in) - There are thinner, lighter ones but tend to bend
polystyrene wall panels (3-5mm / 0.12-0.2 in) - It´s insulation material you can find in nearly every
DIY store. In Europe and Germany you can get Depron-Sheets in various strengths or BASF-Styrodur-Panels.
polystyrene glue - For the larger surfaces (see "glue" above).
white glue/wood glue - (see "glue" above)
Sandpaper - (Grit size 150 and above / for Germans: 120) - Used to smoothen the edges of both,
mdf-boards and polystyrene panels.
Medium sand - (grain size 0,25-0,5mm / 0.010-0.020 in) I used fire-dried, quartz sand. Mostly
traceable in pet shops because it's appropriate for use in aquariums. Don't use sandbox appropriate sand - it's to
heterogeneous, dusty and polluted.
Box-Cutter - Cut, Chop, Cut ... for the bloo... the greater good.
high-strength fabric-tape - For edge-protection. (For Germans: Panzerband und Tesa-Produkte sehr
zu empfehlen)
Palette - To mix colours, white glue and water.
Brushes - 14mm / 0.55 in - Used to apply the colour-white-glue-mix onto the allready sanded boards.
and to paint the scenery pieces. 70mm / 2.76 in - Used to apply thinned white-glue and to drybrush all terrain and scenery
pieces.
Colour - Provided by my local DIY store - custom mix.

To round it up, some impressions on the terrain so far:

---------------------- Update: July 05 ----------------------

Progress:

I managed to sand and paint up one third of the board yesterday evening - sorry for the poor
ligthing (modular terrain already in action + Shas'la and bare Devilfish for comparison reasons)

Cadre progress:
For the Greater Good and ATT, my Taros Campaign Cadre.

---------------------- Update: July 12 ----------------------

Progress:

The weekend was quite eventful, but I managed to finish the basic board tiles, the first batch of
terrain and some neutral desert decorations. I hope it's pleasant to your eyes. :)

Milestone 5 will be Tau models again, while waiting for some new materials to work on.

---------------------- Update: July 27 ----------------------

Progress:

Milestone V

Tau Devilfish I ...

... with Recon Drone.

---------------------- 2016: January 12 ----------------------

Progress:

Milestone V and a half

A couple of new terrain additions in some intermediate Taros impression shots.

---------------------- 2016: March 02-------------------------

Progress:

Milestone V (nearly finished)

XV-88 Broadside Team

Progress:
Milestone VI (preview)

Missile silo (work in progress)

Gun-Emplacement (work in progress)

Hydra-Flak-Emplacement (work in progress)

---------------------- 2016: March 19-------------------------

Progress:

Milestone V (achieved)

6 Shield Drones (Addition to the XV-88 Braodside Team)

Progress:
Milestone VI (preview)

Hydra-Flak-Emplacement (work in progress)

Perimeter fences (work in progress)

Command bunker (blueprint)
Last edited by Issendror on Jan 10 2017 09:11, edited 10 times in total.

Myrdin
Shas

Re: [Project Log] Issendrors Taros Campaign

Post#2 » Jun 11 2015 01:44

Looks good !
I knew a person who made a gaming table from a scratch. Took quite a long time to acomplish, but boy was it cool when he was like "You wanna hang out in our yard for a couple of 40K games ?" :D

Are you going for the pure vanila Taros look, or are you going a bit more custom and mix in some rivers/grass fields or something ?

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#3 » Jun 11 2015 05:12

This looks very good - and completely agree on the shelving system. Once I have dedicated space, that's how I'm stacking too.

I hope you'll enjoy this project as much as I do.

I'll get the popcorn and drinks.. :biggrin:

MODELGLUE Eio'Y
Kor'El
Kor'El

Post#4 » Jun 11 2015 06:21

I meant to reply to this earlier, thanks to the recent interest I can come back to say well done!

Terrain and a table are on my list of things to do, this will be a nice project to take notes from.

Issendror
Shas

Post#5 » Jun 13 2015 08:49

Thanks for your kind words and interest. :)

-----------
@Myrdin
The second milestone of this project is indeed just building modular desert-themed boards with a
minimum of modular terrain. Primarily to test techniques, materials and my abilities, but also to
keep myself motivated.
Future milestones, however, are themed after the major battlefields on Taros - 'Thungusta Station',
'Phyrra Heigths' or 'Hydro-Plant 23-30'.

@Tael
The shelving is essential, not only to protect the surface of the boards, but also to prevent bending.
I started with the shelving system immediatly after starting the project - it`s also advisable if you want
to keep control over your workspace. :biggrin:

@modelglue
Hopefully I can provide some inspiration. My desk was originally a discarded cabinet wall system, which
I assembeld anew and added a tabel top.
-----------

I´ll soon provide some information about the worksteps in detail and first plays with colour.

Issendror
Shas

Post#6 » Jun 19 2015 08:14

Glue:
First things first - If you're glueing foamboards or insulation panels you have to differ between glueing big or
small surfaces.

For the first use appropriate products, like polystyrene glue and follow the instructions.
Glue it outside, in the garage or at a table in the garden, but if you have to glue indoors don´t ever glue
with windows closed and leave the room after applying and pressuring the panels. Let them air for at least
half a day.
So, why the hassle?
Indeed, you could also glue everything with white glue/wood glue and just air it for an hour, but here is the thing -
it just dries on the outer edges. Polystyrene-boards and insulation panels don't soak or let the water
evaporate, precisely what the white glue needs in order to stick. So please keep that in mind.

Smaller terrain-pieces, however, are ideal for thinned white glue, particularly if your cutting und sanding already
glued pieces. The still not hardened glue will leak out of the cut edges and seal it anew.

Next up is the sand surface of the boards and protecting the edges.

Sanding:
After sealing the insulation boards with thinned white glue, I applied a new layer of thinned white glue
and strewed the sand on top.

Use more sand than necessary, the weight of the sand itself benefits the procedure.
After an hour setting time.

Protection:
To protect the seams of the board and the foam-panel edges I used a high-strength fabric-tape, waterproof
and sturdy.
I preferred to attach it before the sanding, but there are times you can get to eager with your work. :roll:

Fold the tape with your thumbnail and cut it on the edges.

From beneath you should protect these seams with more tape.

This sounds more like a tutorial than intended in retrospect :fear: - consider it a diary if it sounds
to much like preaching.

Next time color, for sure.

DeathProof
Shas

Post#7 » Jun 19 2015 10:41

Hi there Issendror,

I really like your table! I've made a few in my time, for myself and also as commissions. I'll be copying your storage rack idea!

I also fell in love with Imperial Armour 3: The Taros Campaign, for me the in-depth storyline and highly detailed description of Tau tactics (and the Imperial Guards blunders) really inspired me when I was writing the story behind my cadre.

Good luck in your venture, I can give you a small tip. I took a pot of Bestial Brown paint and a Snakebite Leather into my local B&Q Hardware store and they made me up a litre of each, which I used to paint my desert board. It made the whole process of painting much easier!

DeathProof

Co'da
Shas

Post#8 » Jun 19 2015 05:10

That is a genius way of building and storing a table. Thank you for sharing this.

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#9 » Jun 19 2015 11:29

it`s also advisable if you want to keep control over your workspace. :biggrin:

Oh I agree, completely.

I've had duct-tape stuffed away in my hobby gear for ages with the intent of board edging like this. It is great to see it in action and prove a good solution. :D

Personally I may do a comparison test between sand and cork flock. May be softer on the toppled mini, but then also more absorbant than sand. Anyhoo.. back to enjoying your approach :)

Issendror
Shas

Post#10 » Jun 22 2015 01:03

So much agreement with my passions and impressions of the works from the guys at forge world -
I'm at the right place. :D

-----------

@DeathProof
I´m glad you like my approach, and indeed I came up with the same idea concerning the colour.
It was cheaper than expected and a litre is really sufficient. Nonetheless, tips are high valued,
at any time.

@Co'da
It seems the storing rack is causing the most responses - I'm aiming to change this. ;)
Thanks for your kind words.

@Tael
The duct-tape proofed to be quite a good solution - highly recommended.
Cork flock is an interesting material. I`m experimenting with sheets and flock for other
purposes for quite some time - you´ll see one example beneath. :nice:

-----------

Sealing & foundation:
I approached the next step of painting the boards with two goals in mind:
Don´t grind off the Sand while applying paint and improve the durability of the board.

The solution is rather simple.

I prepared a little bowl/tray to mix the colour with white glue.
The colour will become brighter at first, but remember the glue will become transparent and
the colour returns to its original tone.
Next I added a slight sip of water to keep the mix rather thin to reach every gap between the
sand grains.

The next picture shows the three actual work steps:
Bare - primed - dry brushed.

Next are some pictures of my first attempts to create some modular terrain pieces.
I hope you like it. :smile:

Through imperial terraforming introduced shrubs and dry grass will be added later.

MODELGLUE Eio'Y
Kor'El
Kor'El

Post#11 » Jun 23 2015 05:44

This is looking great! Maybe I missed it, but what sand are you using? It looks very similar to pulverized limestone I used on a similar project.

Co'da
Shas

Post#12 » Jun 23 2015 09:24

That texturing's stunning!!! If you stopped right now you'd have an amazing board, but I can't wait to see the whole project finished.

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#13 » Jun 23 2015 08:52

Top class work, naturally have to ask.. what size brush are you using for the drybrushing? Or have I missed that commentary?

- Tael.

Issendror
Shas

Post#14 » Jun 24 2015 09:35

It seems I skipped exactly the intermediate steps, you're all interestet in. :fear:
I'll make this up with a list of all used materials and tools in the next post.

Issendror
Shas

Post#15 » Jul 01 2015 10:07

First of all, I want to express my gratitude for the promotion to a full rank warrior of the ATT commumity. :D

Second,
Materials:

Cork sheets (3-5mm / 0.12-0.2 in)
medium-density woodfiberboard (6mm / 0.024 in) - There are thinner, lighter ones but tend to bend
polystyrene wall panels (3-5mm / 0.12-0.2 in) - It´s insulation material you can find in nearly every
DIY store. In Europe and Germany you can get Depron-Sheets in various strengths or BASF-Styrodur-Panels.
polystyrene glue - For the larger surfaces (see "glue" above).
white glue/wood glue - (see "glue" above)
Sandpaper - (Grit size 150 and above / for Germans: 120) - Used to smoothen the edges of both,
mdf-boards and polystyrene panels.
Medium sand - (grain size 0,25-0,5mm / 0.010-0.020 in) I used fire-dried, quartz sand. Mostly
traceable in pet shops because it's appropriate for use in aquariums. Don't use sandbox appropriate sand - it's to
heterogeneous, dusty and polluted.
Box-Cutter - Cut, Chop, Cut ... for the bloo... the greater good.
high-strength fabric-tape - For edge-protection. (For Germans: Panzerband und Tesa-Produkte sehr
zu empfehlen)
Palette - To mix colours, white glue and water.
Brushes - 14mm / 0.55 in - Used to apply the colour-white-glue-mix onto the allready sanded boards.
and to paint the scenery pieces. 70mm / 2.76 in - Used to apply thinned white-glue and to drybrush all terrain and scenery
pieces.
Colour - Provided by my local DIY store - custom mix.

To round it up, some impressions on the terrain so far:

More hobbytime today and tomorrow ... ;)

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#16 » Jul 02 2015 04:47

Great rundown on supplies and application - the final shot of shas'la on the table just icing on the cake! :)

Enjoying this thread immensely.

Issendror
Shas

Post#17 » Jul 05 2015 08:53

---------------------- Update: July 05 ----------------------

Progress:

I managed to sand and paint up one third of the board yesterday evening - sorry for the poor
ligthing (modular terrain already in action + Shas'la and bare Devilfish for comparison reasons)

@Thanks Tael - I'll try to keep it up.
Your comment made me realise that I had yet to picture the progress of my cadre to this point.

Cadre progress:

So for the Greater Good and ATT, my Taros Campaign Cadre.

MODELGLUE Eio'Y
Kor'El
Kor'El

Post#18 » Jul 05 2015 09:31

Absolutely wonderful.

I really like the suit wayyyy back to the top right. Always nice to see them bulked out and sport aftermarket goodies.

Return to “Project Logs”