Akul Contingent

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
materpillar
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Akul Contingent

Post#55 » Nov 23 2016 05:40

Finished up the second half of my sniper team.

----- Akul Contingent -----
Engagement Results 54-18-8

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#56 » Nov 23 2016 06:35

Evolving really well, reminds me I need to finish my deployed turret model :D

I like the recipe list too - I have a small moleskin with all my paint schemes listed in it for reference.

Demorte
Gue'La
Gue'La

Post#57 » Nov 28 2016 11:46

Coming along really nice masterpillar, keep up the good work. I like the shield on your troops.

materpillar
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#58 » Feb 12 2017 02:39

Been quite a while since I updated here. I've gotten a ton of progress done on my second batch of firewarriors. Their base is done and they're almost all painted except for shins, weapons and highlights. Piranha's got put farther down on the to do list because I was just getting bored with them. You know what isn't boring though? Named characters and the big suits they pilot!

The other ghostkeel I'd been using I got second-hand. So it was super cheap and pre-magnitized which is nice. However, it was kind of just in the "stock" pose which I found kinda boring. I've been itching to give El'Eoro'D'Yanoi'Seri a ghostkeel with a much more visually striking pose. So I bought another ghostkeel. :D
I'm rather happy with how the pose looks, although I kind of wish I had twisted the torso just a tad bit farther to the left to make it even more dynamic.

It's odd, I looked around a fair bit online to find some other people's ghostkeels for inspiration and there just aren't that many ghostkeels in interesting/different poses.

I'm itching to get a third ghostkeel too, because there is a tournament coming up next month and I know their effectiveness shoots of significantly once you increase their numbers from 2 to 3. Hmmmm...

Demorte wrote:Coming along really nice masterpillar, keep up the good work. I like the shield on your troops.

Thanks! I'm very much a huge fan of doing tons of ice camouflage on stuff now. You can bet that my newest ghostkeel is going to be mostly in stealth mode.

Tael wrote:Evolving really well, reminds me I need to finish my deployed turret model :D

I like the recipe list too - I have a small moleskin with all my paint schemes listed in it for reference.

You'd think after several years I wouldn't really need the list anymore, but it just feels so much safer to have it chilling out there.

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#59 » Feb 13 2017 11:57

Nice nice nice :)

You'd think after several years I wouldn't really need the list anymore, but it just feels so much safer to have it chilling out there.

Yeah definitely helps when a couple years since the last finished model in a collection. :)

materpillar
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#60 » Mar 03 2017 04:36

She's mostly done (tabletop qualitty). Still need to get magnets, assemble, paint weapon choices. Also needs highlighting. But I'm going to move onto other projects in the meantime.

Got my extra Sunshark and Razorshark in paint remover at the moment. Currently working on finishing up 14 firewarriors.

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#61 » Mar 05 2017 02:55

Really effective cammo work, had to look twice to figure out what was going on! :D

materpillar
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#62 » Mar 31 2017 01:10

I've actually had a few people not recognize it as a ghostkeel because the pose is so different from the stock pose, which makes me quite happy.

In other news . . .

Trying to figure out a very different pose for this big guy too. Thinking of him double tapping the helbrute or maybe landing in a big crater like my submitted custom suit like in the competition. Hmmmmm. Either way I need some green stuff / magnets before I go much further.

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#63 » Mar 31 2017 06:06

He could kick the Hellbrute into next week. Every new angle on this model has me double take again, at just how big of a kit it is.

materpillar
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#64 » Mar 31 2017 09:56

I'm thinking of cutting a huge whole in the hellbrute, basically a "U" like cut removing the head and up of the hellbrute while the stormsurge is stomping it into the ground and having the stormsurge's gun where its missile pods usually are pointed down at the hellbrute like it just blew it to pieces. This would require quite a bit of time, we'll see if I get the motivation. XD

It'll require me learning how to paint a hellbrute, a fair amount of green stuff, and learning how to paint something as a red-hot wreck.

[edit]: Some stealth suits on the board they were designed from

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#65 » Apr 06 2017 12:45

You have some of the most effective looking cloaking effects I have seen painted on models. The bright transition really sets it apart.

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#66 » Apr 08 2017 08:06

Indeed, that really is effective variation on the painting idea :biggrin:

materpillar
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#67 » May 22 2017 07:52

Agentarrow wrote:You have some of the most effective looking cloaking effects I have seen painted on models. The bright transition really sets it apart.

Thanks I really appreciate that!

Finally got my magnets and greenstuff in the mail so I could continue working on my Stormsurge... here's the pose I ended up with.

I spent like over an hour finagling with the different body parts until I got into a pose that I liked. I ended up not going for either of the other poses I was considering because a) I was too lazy (to learn all the hellbrute stuff) or b) it just couldn't really fit that pose well (for the crashing into the ground). The angle of this photo isn't great, I was going for the "walking slowly like a badass" pose (for reference see this video at 1:40 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ToPvx-z3bg). I've never really liked the open cockpit so I greenstuffed that. I also don't like the over the shoulder gun position (I mean how does it shoot anything?). I also greenstuffed the head to be a bit higher than usual so it can actually see over the front of itself.

It's a lot harder to hold different pieces in place to inspect them with this model as opposed to a ghostkeel.

I'll put up some more pictures later this week once I glue it to the base (its currently drying from the coat of primer).

materpillar
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#68 » May 23 2017 09:47

Got it all glued down this morning after a run to the store for more super glue. Also note in the background I finally got my ghostkeel magnetized. I'm prioritizing painting her Ion Raker / Fusion blasters (the only loadout I use at the moment), then I'll probably start on the stormsurge. Boy is it a big model though, I'll probably finish some other models while I paint it too.

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#69 » May 24 2017 09:17

Don't often see rear shots of such models, but there is so much going on there! Wow. Look forward to your progress across all that detail :biggrin:

materpillar
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#70 » Jun 09 2017 07:56

After my first game of 8th I figured shield drones were a bit more mandatory.

So I painted all mine up.

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#71 » Jun 10 2017 05:40

Good to know, think I might drag a couple out myself too :)

materpillar
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#72 » Jun 17 2017 01:16

Just finished up my second batch of firewarriors (they still need highlighting, I hate highlighting).

Next up is a bunch of markerdrones and a pair of gun drones.

I should really take a full picture of everything I have painted in a location with an actually decent background. Maybe next Wednesday.

Return to “Project Logs”