Akul Contingent

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Tael
Fio'O

Re: Akul Contingent

Post#31 » Jul 30 2016 06:57

Not easily noticed, but I like the "Wings of Achillies" on his legs, nice touch :D

materpillar
Shas'La

Post#32 » Aug 17 2016 10:41

Here's my final 2000k point escalation league army that I 4-0d with. Almost everything has the majority of it painted although a lot of it still needs highlighted. Hunter Cadre with Command and Optimized Stealth Cadre and almost completely WYSIWYG.

Here's my deployment in the last game.

Some cool photos I took in recent games.

----- Akul Contingent -----
Engagement Results 54-18-8

abraxus
Shas

Post#33 » Aug 18 2016 06:46

materpillar wrote:3 - Imperial Guard - Tactical Loss - Minimal Casualties
Note: My favorite game of warhammer. Enemy brought over 100 infantry models to a 1000 point game (no tanks at all), almost all completely un-upgraded. The following video is what I think about every time I think about the game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ3bzg-Tvt4

and that, my friends, is how the Imperium wages war.

"You don't have a gun!? That's okay!! Just pick up the one of the dead guy in front of you, the emperor will protect!!"
"um, but um, sir... didn't you tell all the guys with the guns that the emperor would protect them as well?"
"Of course! the Emperor protects us all!"
"then, um, sir.... why is there a dead guy in front of me with a gun?"

Falsegods
Shas'Saal

Post#34 » Aug 18 2016 07:41

materpillar wrote:-> My tau are super dark skinned, because I think of Akul as getting extremely minimal amounts of sunlight. Then on top of that the Akul Contingent spends a vast majority of their time on space ships, which is even less light. Hence, extremely dark skinned. Although, upon writing that I realize that such limited amount of light should make them more pale... hmmmm. Guess I need to think of a new explanation.

Cosmic radiation?

materpillar
Shas'La

Post#35 » Aug 18 2016 08:27

abraxus wrote:
materpillar wrote:3 - Imperial Guard - Tactical Loss - Minimal Casualties
Note: My favorite game of warhammer. Enemy brought over 100 infantry models to a 1000 point game (no tanks at all), almost all completely un-upgraded. The following video is what I think about every time I think about the game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ3bzg-Tvt4

and that, my friends, is how the Imperium wages war.

"You don't have a gun!? That's okay!! Just pick up the one of the dead guy in front of you, the emperor will protect!!"
"um, but um, sir... didn't you tell all the guys with the guns that the emperor would protect them as well?"
"Of course! the Emperor protects us all!"
"then, um, sir.... why is there a dead guy in front of me with a gun?"

There aren't many horde armies in the area I play it which is truly kind of unfortunate. I really miss playing against infinity swarms instead of lots of power armor and tanks.

Falsegods wrote:
materpillar wrote:-> My tau are super dark skinned, because I think of Akul as getting extremely minimal amounts of sunlight. Then on top of that the Akul Contingent spends a vast majority of their time on space ships, which is even less light. Hence, extremely dark skinned. Although, upon writing that I realize that such limited amount of light should make them more pale... hmmmm. Guess I need to think of a new explanation.

Cosmic radiation?

AH! My tau spend a rather large portion of their time traveling around the warp. Obviously that's just started affecting them. Extra points as it also explains why other Tau aren't particularly trusting of them. Thanks! Your comment was what sparked this thought process.

Falsegods
Shas'Saal

Post#36 » Aug 18 2016 09:46

materpillar wrote:
Falsegods wrote:

Cosmic radiation?

AH! My tau spend a rather large portion of their time traveling around the warp. Obviously that's just started affecting them. Extra points as it also explains why other Tau aren't particularly trusting of them. Thanks! Your comment was what sparked this thought process.

Fair is fair, your log has given me a lot to think about as well. :smile:

Tael
Fio'O

Post#37 » Aug 24 2016 08:27

Glad battle 3 was point out - I completely glossed over that when reading!

Had a similar game of 10 marine scouts verse a camp of 60 odd Speed Freaks; sneaking about planting charges between Grot sentries then legging it as they went off; needless to say the upset owners gave chase with random dice determining the direction they ran off in or shot at.

Not unlike:
https://youtu.be/ZkGl-d0p_Ns?t=5s

Again, like yourself; a memorable game :)

materpillar
Shas'La

Post#38 » Sep 22 2016 10:50

Haven't posted in a while, most of my time has been going towards the contest model. Finally finished that up and started working on some "vespid", gave them a whirl in a game yesterday.

They actually did fairly well. Mulching that Death Company Squad. They would have wrecked a second squad but they got assaulted by terminators with lightning claws. That wasn't super pretty, but I was happy with how they played. They'd be great in cities of death.

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#39 » Sep 22 2016 02:33

Nice Vespid conversion. I should post my own soon but I'm super lazy when it comes to painting at the moment. >_>

Tael
Fio'O

Post#40 » Sep 23 2016 09:49

Always good to read when a converted unit performs well, even if a "Counts As" just adds to the worthwhile completion of the idea :)

materpillar
Shas'La

Post#41 » Oct 11 2016 11:29

So I got rather bored painting those "vespid". Instead I transitioned back to working on my favorite tau unit. Stealth suits! I've been wanting to try to paint some transitioning in to/out of stealth that I've seen around on the internet (and Falsegod did in his WIP thread).

Wasn't sure how to paint the cameoflaged half of the models so I tried two techniques. Model on the left I just used my basing technique on the model (gluing sand to it then painting that). Model on the right I just dry brushed it the same colors as the base.

They both look good. The one I glued sand to blends into the base exceptionally well but you lose all the model's details (cause they're covered in sand) so it looks kinda weird from a distance. The other 3 suits that I'm working on will just get the dry brush treatment, while being less stealthy I think that technique looks better.

Overall I'm extremely happy with them, enough so that I'll probably go back and repaint small bits of my "finished" stealth suits with smaller patches of stealth. Probably do my ghostkeel some too. :roll: Once my other 3 suits are finished it'll bring my total stealth suit count up to 13. That's more than 2 full squads. Probably a few more than actually necessary.

As for my contest entry . . .

Entry #14: The XV83 Cyclone Battlesuit

Going into this competition I didn't really expect to be able to win. My conversation and painting skills are just worse than so many members here. I tried to overcome that by spending almost as much time on my rules as I did on my modeling. As a result I'm confident when I say that my model had the most original ruleset, there isn't really a unit in any army with comparable rules that I know of (most similar model is a mawloc and it serves an utterly different purpose). Ontop of which it's rules were incredibly tight mechanically, it has a multitude of viable loadouts for multiple purposes (ranging from competitive to hilarious), all while still being one of most correctly pointed models in the competition (probably a 3-5 way tie for that). Thus I'm kind of disappointed that I didn't even manage an honorable mention.

Anywho if I had to do it again I'd have made a second suit. That way I could have taken a more impressive photo of the two of them together, while also being farther away so my questionable paint job wouldn't have been as obvious. I'd have also not done such codex-ish fluff and written something shorter and far more interesting. The top three entries still would have crushed me but I might have been able to edge someone out for the judges prize which is honestly what I was aiming for. Live and learn. Curious to know what others think of my entry. Do I have an overinflated opinion of my rules? That is quite possible.

Will be using this model anytime I field a deepstriking double flamer Monat.

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#42 » Oct 12 2016 12:11

materpillar wrote:Curious to know what others think of my entry. Do I have an overinflated opinion of my rules? That is quite possible.

Sorry but yeah, while cool I do think your opinion of your rules doesn't quite match reality.

The other thing about them is that they don't really fit Tau fluff. One of the special things about Tau is that they DON'T sacrifice their guys unlike other factions and even less design a suit just for that purpose.
So yeah apart from the other entries just being so much better model and paintwise i didn't give you my vote because it just doesn't fit Tau imo even though i'd love having such a suit in my army the same as i'd love having a melee suit unit. However that's just not what Tau are.

materpillar
Shas'La

Post#43 » Oct 12 2016 01:20

Panzer wrote:Sorry but yeah, while cool I do think your opinion of your rules doesn't quite match reality.

I believe you. But what exactly is poor about them? Because I see a unit that has variable yet equally effective deployment options (deep striking vs simply walking across the battlefield to intercept assault units). There's also the option of trying to deep strike into combat for more efficient markerlights or merely deepstriking near enemies (less markerlights but is safer and offers better overwatch support or offensive power if you kit them out that way).

The suits can efficiently use the rail rifle, unlike current pathfinders. While doing so they act as less lethal and shorter range broadsides but are much more mobile an have a sprinkling of markerlight support (which can be extended even more with drones/drone controller if you need it). Actually they're probably better tank hunters than broadsides since they have guns with similar Str/AP but they have easier access to rear armor (and they can still bring missile drones with them).

It's also a somewhat reasonable deliverly system for the onegar gauntlet. If you want to go full stupid silly, run that plus two more suits (and flechette discharges) with Farsight (and a fusion blade commander). Auto-deepstrike into combat with someone doing 3d3 Str 8 Ap3 wounds followed up with Farsight's stabby and you'll utterly murder anything without a 2+ save, and there's a good chance you'll wipe a squad with a 2+ save.

It's also a unit for which buying the failsafe detonator isn't a complete joke/waste of points.

It's also probably the best user of the homing beacon in the codex.

All this flexibility in usage while being extremely fair in points cost. But that's the unit I see because I designed it to do all that. What unit do you see?

The other thing about them is that they don't really fit Tau fluff. One of the special things about Tau is that they DON'T sacrifice their guys unlike other factions and even less design a suit just for that purpose.
So yeah apart from the other entries just being so much better model and paintwise i didn't give you my vote because it just doesn't fit Tau imo even though i'd love having such a suit in my army the same as i'd love having a melee suit unit. However that's just not what Tau are.

This I do dispute, Tau sacrifice people if there's enough to gain. That's just how war works. They're just much more casualty adverse than other races. Besides pathfinders totally sacrifice themselves all the time in the fluff, in the codex it says something like pathfinders exemplify the greater good more than anything when they "markerlight up another enemy position while their own is being overrun".

Not that that really matters as this unit isn't suicidal by either its rules or fluff. Ruleswise there is a low chance that they die deepstriking into combat (<1/6 chance), which is actually safer than mishapping as a result of landing on a unit. So just deepstriking them normally, they're actually slightly less likely to die than any other deepstriking unit. Even while intentionally taking the risk of aiming for combat, it's still way safer than being a pathfinder in recon armor. Since a pathfinders risk of getting killed is around 1/3 if they get hit with a single boltgun shot while in 4+ cover.

Once in combat they provide 3 markerlights, which is enough to make any squad shooting into combat BS6 (which re-rolls 1s). So unless you shoot into combat with more squads than you have battlesuits you have less than a 3% chance of actually hitting them (per shot), ontop of which they'll still get armor saves.

Fluffwise this unit is supposed to be deployed in areas too dangerous (or inaccessible) for pathfinders that still require markerlight support. Areas that would be suicidal for pathfinders but not for someone in the equivalent of a broadside battlesuit.

materpillar
Shas'La

Post#44 » Oct 14 2016 02:29

Large amount finished up these past couple of days. I fully painted 5 stealth suits and added minor stealth effects to another 3. Here's all my stealth suits. Next up is probably to add some of this effect to my ghostkeel.

Ironsky
Shas'La

Post#45 » Oct 14 2016 03:19

Yep the stealth effect looks really good (painted on is much better than sand)! I am envious of your large amounts of painted stealth suits.
As for your Competition entry: it did make me smile, as I'm sure we have all wished for that to be a plausible way to get rid of pesky Marines; but I'm not a rules guy, so can't really comment on how well formulated they are.

materpillar
Shas'La

Post#46 » Oct 20 2016 12:37

Ironsky wrote:Yep the stealth effect looks really good (painted on is much better than sand)! I am envious of your large amounts of painted stealth suits.
As for your Competition entry: it did make me smile, as I'm sure we have all wished for that to be a plausible way to get rid of pesky Marines; but I'm not a rules guy, so can't really comment on how well formulated they are.

I'm glad you like my stealth suits... I might be overly fond of that stealth effect though. I just ordered a ghostkeel, so I can have a more awesomely posed model for Commander Moonlight. Also... this guy.

Going to be my counts as Death Jester for when I run the Heroes' Path formation or vindicare if I'm feeling in the mood. Actually any manner of models. I'm planning on painting the wings a similar cameo thing as the stealth suits. Maybe part of him too, not 100% sure yet.

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre

Post#47 » Oct 20 2016 10:16

Those wings seem a bit oversized for such a small model, but I can't help but love how it looks. Camo may help reduce their visual presence too.

materpillar
Shas'La

Post#48 » Oct 23 2016 01:21

Agentarrow wrote:Those wings seem a bit oversized for such a small model, but I can't help but love how it looks. Camo may help reduce their visual presence too.

Glad you like it! I'm hoping they end up looking more like a mobile hunting screen than wings.

I may or may not have ordered a ghostkeel and around 1500 points of other models (should be here friday!), because I don't want my painting backlog to every be done. XD

Return to “Project Logs”