ShasODerpy's Tau, Shock-Drop Troopers (WIP)

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
ShasODerpy
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: ShasODerpy's Tau, Shock-Drop Troopers (WIP)

Post#19 » May 04 2016 08:46

Lapsed back into 40k again.
Finished assembly on a custom Tau Commander that I've had in the planning phase for awhile now.
Right Weapon-arm is magnetized, so allows for some WYSIWIG on his primary weapon, or potentially a FusionBlade conversion when I come up with something fitting.

ImageImage

Colourscheme TBD, probably more urban-grey + Reds.

Progress on the Tidewall remains slow. Turns out Painting in solid BleachedBone takes a lot of layers.
Finished ~66% of the required sections, but it's becoming more difficult for me to enjoy the singular layer work.

-Derp
Shas'O 50mm, the Foresighted
WIP Tau

Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#20 » May 05 2016 01:00

Nice! Where did you get/what did you use to make the missile pauldrons? I've been thinking of converting R'alai for a while now, and those have made me very tempted.

Also very nice work on everything else...

ShasODerpy
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#21 » May 05 2016 02:02

Ironsky wrote:Nice! Where did you get/what did you use to make the missile pauldrons? I've been thinking of converting R'alai for a while now, and those have made me very tempted.

Also very nice work on everything else...

Heya!, Glad you enjoy!

The Pauldron Missles I've acquired here http://puppetswar.com/product.php?id_product=303. They're simply glued on top of a regular XV8 Crisis Shoulder piece.
WIP Tau

Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#22 » May 05 2016 03:08

Cheers - good find, works really well with the Tau aesthetic.

paulson games
Shas

Post#23 » May 06 2016 06:12

ShasODerpy wrote:ImageImage

Can you post a better pic of the right arm? I'd like to see what you did for the forearm and hand
Paulson Games parts are now at www.reddogminis.com

ShasODerpy
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#24 » May 06 2016 03:57

paulson games wrote:Can you post a better pic of the right arm? I'd like to see what you did for the forearm and hand
Sure thing!
Unfortunatly I've already base-coated the model, and the dark-grey makes it a little hard to see. (That and I'm not great at photography :P ).

Gallery and Larger images here http://www.dakkadakka.com/gallery/images-91133-51344_XV9%20Commander.html

Currently detached for painting purposes, the arm is directly pinned into the shoulder piece.
Simply drilled out two holes with 1mm drillbits, and using some 1mm Iron wire. This will be an invisible fit if using a minimal amount of superglue. To be done after Painting.
Though I've already pre-posed, the wire is soft enough to bend into shape, and can even still rotate. Opens up a lot of "last-minute" pose-ability In case I want to change something halfway through..

You most probably already noticed... but... Paulson Bits!!
Upper piece is a Paulsons "Mech Underslung Light Autocannon", with the AutoCannon weapon cut off and replaced with an XV8 Crisis hand. Reference
Lower piece is a Paulsons "Dual Barrel Beamer"
2x 3mm Magnets in both pieces makes for a snugg fit, it also ensures it keeps itself aligned.

Please ask if there's anything more you'd like to know!

-Derp
WIP Tau

ShasODerpy
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#25 » May 21 2016 05:01

Up-date to the XV9 Commander.

Meet Shas'O Rra'Kunas Da'Ray!
or, for us lowly humans, Commander DarkWalker.

Not quite done with him yet, but decided I'd get him play-ready for an upcoming "tank-event" at out local store. Needs some more work on his weapon-arm, extra touchups, markings, gras etc.
More images here http://www.dakkadakka.com/gallery/images-91133-51344_XV9%20Commander.html

ImageImage

-Derp
WIP Tau

ShasODerpy
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#26 » May 21 2016 05:06

Update #2, Gunfort

Finished this one a little while ago, but never added any images.

ImageImage

Magnets!! Magnets!! did I mention I love Magnets!!? (note the Magnets :roll: )

A few more images here http://www.dakkadakka.com/gallery/images-91133-49914_Tidewalling.html

Nex up... Tidewall Rampart Drone-Port!!

-Derp
WIP Tau

TinkerTau 2.0
Shas

Post#27 » May 22 2016 08:21

ShasODerpy wrote:Up-date to the XV9 Commander.

Meet Shas'O Rra'Kunas Da'Ray!
or, for us lowly humans, Commander DarkWalker.

Not quite done with him yet, but decided I'd get him play-ready for an upcoming "tank-event" at out local store. Needs some more work on his weapon-arm, extra touchups, markings, gras etc.
More images here http://www.dakkadakka.com/gallery/images-91133-51344_XV9%20Commander.html

ImageImage

-Derp

Wow that weapon looks really good. Great job on painting that model. I need inspiration to paint my tonnage of Tau grey plastic unprimed blob. This may be it.
"Sometimes you feel like a Tau..., or else."

ShasODerpy
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#28 » May 22 2016 12:00

TinkerTau 2.0 wrote:Wow that weapon looks really good. Great job on painting that model. I need inspiration to paint my tonnage of Tau grey plastic unprimed blob. This may be it.
The praise is appreciated :D

As a possible hint/tip for quickly painting Grey's.

I was in my local hobby store today, and was promply informed on the existence of the "Mechanicus Standard Grey Spray".
It just so happens to be the exact same colour I base-coat all my grey stuff with. (Wich I used to do manually by brush.... wich takes quite a lot of time/paint all things considering).

I'll be planning to save myself that time by spray-coating them the right colour right away. Might work for you too if intending to base-coat in that same colour.

-Derp
WIP Tau

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#29 » May 22 2016 12:03

I actually got myself the Mechanicus Standard Grey Spray and have to say i don't like it at all. It's impossible to see when you missed a spot because it's exactly the same color as an unpainted/unprimed plastic miniature.

Return to “Project Logs”