Lippy's WIP Cadre

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Lippy777
Shas

Lippy's WIP Cadre

Post#1 » Sep 19 2015 12:34

Hi everyone,

So I was talking to some guys at my local club about starting Tau and one said he had some stuff to offload. I didn't want to buy anything before the new codex came, but in the words of Don Corleone, he offered me some stuff and j had to say yes.

So here it is:

Enough for a couple of squads and some Proxy units.
They're going to be stripped- someone has sprayed gloss(!) black over the old red paint job as primer... So they'll be stripped back and I'll start again.

This guy is included in the group of firewarriors. Who is he? I see he has a pulse carbine.

Getting this lot included in the price was a steal.
Shame they're modelled with a mismatch of weapons, but for the price I couldn't say no. And my club are all good with things not being wysiwyg!
The two suits at the front are heavier than the other three- did they used to be metal?? Again they're going to be paint stripped so I can start again.

Next lot are these guys.
Again the commander has different weapons to what I'd use but hey ho.
I'm looking forward to painting Shadowsun. Thinking I'll have her in traditional white. But I expect I'll use her as an ethereal or a stealth suit until I get other models.
I'll put missile pods on my future broadsides- unless the codex changes that!
I'm thinking that I'll struggle painting him, as I'm not a great painter and I'll paint my next ones as I build them.

This lot need a bit of tlc. They've been through the wars! It looks like whoever built them did so by dipping them in glue!
Hopefully after some paint they'll come up well enough. Does anyone have any tips for these?

There's another five of these that were primed in black which I've now painted up!

So in all not bad for £60! I can make 1000pts with some proxying so that's a great buy.
I intend to add posts as I paint and add to the cadre.

Looking forward to this. My other army is IG with a heck of a lot of green paint!!
Wargaming in South Wales:
Vale Renegades Website

MODELGLUE Eio'Y
Kor'El
Kor'El

Re: Lippy's WIP Cadre

Post#2 » Sep 19 2015 04:12

Great post, but could you please resize your images to at most 800x600? We ask that any images be sized within reason, but these are really big.

Thanks!

Lippy777
Shas

Post#3 » Sep 20 2015 02:08

Yeah no worries. You're right, they were huge! I did it all straight from my phone and wasn't able to edit them on imgur's app.

have painted up some of the drones as trials for my colour scheme so I'll update the thread later.
Vale Renegades Website

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#4 » Sep 20 2015 05:09

That is a nice acquisition you have made there :)

To answer a couple of your questions:

Is Darkstrider

The suit on the front left is the old commander model. The weapon on his right arm (Cyclic Ion Blaster) and his head are metal. The suit front right looks like a standard XV8 so should not be any heavier than the rest.

Unfortunately there is no easy way to remove excess plastic glue as it works by melting the plastic together rather than a clean joint like superglue. All you can do is carefully scrape/sand the excess away or alternatively turn it into battle damage/weathering when you paint them.

Looking forward to seeing them painted up :)

Lippy777
Shas

Post#5 » Sep 21 2015 01:09

Awesome,
Thanks for the advice and information!

So I got to start trailing my colour scheme on some of the drones.
Every one I have is a gun drone, but I'm easy with that.

So I wanted them to be bright and eye catching, as my guardsmen are all green and very grim dark.
The blue is Army Painter's Crystal Blue and Citadels Flash Gitz Yellow. I initially used Ultramarines Blue(forget the new name) but decided it was too dull.

I want each one to be slightly different (may have been inspired by miniwargaming's models) so I'm happy with the style.
But I'm not sold on what washes and whether to use any at all.
The one at the back row on the right was my initial trial. He had the yellow/blue inverted but then I tried different washes.
I tried Nightshade Blue(? I don't think that's right, but the citadel one), and agrax earthshade. You'll tell from the yellow on top that I even tried it on the yellow. That didn't work. I'll get the yellow wash next time I'm at the shop, so I'll try that on top of the yellow, but I'm not convinced I even want to wash them. I like the brightness- even if it's not Grim Dark.

I'm not a skilled painter by any means, but I intend to learn and this Tau army will be something I want to look good (my guard were painted just to get them on the table).

Any suggestions?
Vale Renegades Website

Shymer
Fio

Post#6 » Sep 21 2015 04:29

If I am going for a clean and bright paint scheme, then I would be very sparing with the wash. I would consider a white undercoat; primary colour basecoat; a very early black wash (a bit cartoony) for the deep crevices and 'lines'; another coat of primary colour to clean up spills of wash outside the crevices and then layer lighter shades on the flat surfaces, with edge highlights to taste (possibly avoiding dry-brush as it looks 'dusty' as opposed to clean, but YMMV). Then details such as lenses, bolts, badges and emblems.

The alternative is a black undercoat; then base layer of primary colour - but carefully avoid the crevices (use a spot or two of black wash if there's a mistake), and then lighter layers to edge highlight. You will likely need more layers of paint to cover the darker undercoat and achieve a lighter brighter colour. Thin the paints and use multiple layers for blocks of colour, and perhaps a thicker paint for tiny details such as Tau sept markings.

I think you are right - if you are looking for a brighter, cleaner look, then washes may need to be used with care - and if so, as part of the early model painting, rather than late on in the process. You may also want to experiment with glazes, inks or others ways to create a plastic/ceramic 'shine'.
Shas’O Sa’cea Kar’Li Cal’Cha “Commander Fairlight”

Lippy777
Shas

Post#7 » Dec 28 2015 04:51

Hello,
So this 'project log' went well... Sorry I haven't updated it for a while.

I have made some progress and also acquired some more models (a lot more!).

As you can see I have a lot more infantry as well as some pathfinders and more stealths.

However, my todo list is far longer than the finished.

So as you can see I have a fair amour of rank and file finished. Most are Based using cork and sand but some are still unbased.
Three of the crisis suits are done, as is my broadside and piranha at the back.
Will take some close up individual shots once the festivities have been had!!

And the todo list.
The front row of firewarriors are painted now too but I have another 10 to add to the photo, plus about 20kroot and 15more drones...
I intend on moving on from the infantry and getting some paint on the more interesting models.

However, Christmas has brought me these guys:

A lot of discipline is going to be needed to keep me from getting these guys done first!!
Last edited by Lippy777 on Jan 04 2016 04:02, edited 1 time in total.
Vale Renegades Website

Lippy777
Shas

Post#8 » Dec 28 2015 04:07

Just having a think about getting all this done and how long it may take me.

I've primed what I've punted with Army Painter Green - because this is what I had.

I want to do the best to my ability on everything. Does anyone have any suggestion regarding primer (uk)?

I intend to paint the Ghostkeel, Stealthsuits, and Shadowsun in white(vior'la style but with blue features). So I'll prime these lot in White- Halfords standard works doesn't it?

The rest will follow the same blue/yellow as before. Army Painter do Crystal Blue which is the same as my primary colour. Do you think if I primed with this could I just get a wash on it and highlight from there? Or would I still need to go Prime, Base, Wash, Tidy, Highlight etc... If so I'll just prime black as it saves me painting the black sections (shortcuts!).
Vale Renegades Website

Lippy777
Shas

Post#9 » Jan 05 2016 03:06

I'm on a roll with updates so getting it all down now.

I couldn't wait to build the new goodies so rather than painting the old stuff I decided I needed to build a new toy.
Unable to make a decision, I asked my wife which one I should do first- 'The big one'... Riptide it is then!

Want to make a decent job so doing the base seperate and painting it in stages rather than when fully built. Oh and magnetising the weapons (first time tau, 3rd time using magnets).

Base is done in an urban theme to match the others.

Primed them all Crystal Blue. Re:the post above- I decided to prime blue to hopefully save time later on (I think Its going to be months before I've done the lot!). It was definitely an error with the base, as it was difficult to cover the blue in the sand. I managed to get there in the end though.

But I'm happy with the finish on the models (note the devilfish too, making use of the dry weather and prime as much as possible. Did my commander too).
Just have to decide whether to cover in a wash and re-layer with the same shade or go straight to highlighting.

Below is the finished base. It's not golden daemon standard, but I'm very happy with it. I'm still tempted to add to it, maybe a tiny amount of flock in one corner to brighten it up, but I want to see how the riptide looks on it first, as the blue will hopefully do that on its own!

I've made a start on some parts on the model, and hopefully update in the next couple of days.
Vale Renegades Website

n1md4
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#10 » Jan 06 2016 08:55

You've started with a similar condition army to me. Models with glue are a bane, as said, cutting and polishing is all you can do.

Fan of your colour scheme too!

Keep up the good work, love a good project log :)
This is a sad day for the nobel profession of otter milking -- Knives
Onmyou's Motivation Service

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#11 » Jan 06 2016 03:02

Wow.. Christmas brought the Greater Good indeed.

Completely agree on stage painting and magentising is a god send. Look forward to these big kits all done :)

Lippy777
Shas

Post#12 » Jan 07 2016 07:30

Thanks for the comments guys.

I'm going to pull my finger out and hopefully get the Riptide and a DevilFish finished, as well as the GhostKeel magnetised if not primed... All by the end of Sunday whilst finding time to entertain the wife.

We'll see!
Vale Renegades Website

Lippy777
Shas

Post#13 » Jan 25 2016 02:30

Looks like I'm not updating this as much as I'd hoped... But the. I'm not getting through them as I'd hoped!

Anyhoo,

My Riptide is complete

I've only got the Ion Accelerator and SMS done as weapons so far, but the others are magnetised ready for when I fancy giving them ago instead.

He's turned out to be a lot brighter than the rest of my army. The rest of them were washed all over to give a dirty finish, whereas he is more crisp looking. I'm planning on sticking with his colouring going forward and go over the already painted lot once I've finished my cadre (who am I kidding. When am I going to have the time and impetuous to do that!?!)

Hope you like him. Will try posting a better picture when the heavy burst and other secondary weapons are done.
Vale Renegades Website

Lippy777
Shas

Post#14 » Jan 25 2016 02:37

And next up...

Hopefully you'll seethe vior'la inspiration here.
I like how he turned out, and the drones too.
As with my riptide, I've only painted the weapons I'm going to use so far- the fusion boasters are missing from his photoshoot!

The lean isn't as bad as it shows here, but one thing to note, I really struggled with posing him, even though I stuck to the GW prescribed limb positions.
I painted him as I built him and the guns are magnetised- this meant that I had to reposition his shoulders and elbows to make it fit.
That being said I really enjoyed building him.

Shame my first time using him yesterday ended in sever Mew toy syndrome!

Broadside twins up next!
Vale Renegades Website

Return to “Project Logs”