Ironsky's desert operations Cadre

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Ironsky's desert operations Cadre

Post#1 » Oct 17 2015 07:50

Friends,

This is my first post on ATT, and will form a brief introduction to a long term ongoing project.

Having recently returned to the hobby I have picked up a lot of inspiration from this site, and as I now have a few models painted up I hope to share them with you.

My project so far has consisted of stripping paint from cruelly abused miniatures, which suffered from my early forays into 40k. I now have painted around half of my Shas'la, and have made a start on XV8s. My Cadre hails from the Vior'la sept, and the colour scheme was very loosely based on that presented in the 6th edition codex, albeit with white squad markings, mainly because I prefer the look of them. I do however concede to the odd red panel on antenna, or elsewhere on each model. Rank markings are largely as of the first Tau codex (I like the pale helmets), but with red squad markings for squad leaders.

I leave you with some pictures of my first squad.

More images soon.

Ironsky
Last edited by Ironsky on Nov 09 2016 01:25, edited 5 times in total.

Lyi'ot
Por'O
Por'O

Re: A new beginnning

Post#2 » Oct 17 2015 10:53

Wow, I love these models! Looking at the close-ups, I kept thinking that the grey rocks didn't blend into the red ground very well, but that zoomed-out photo shows that every blends together extremely well. That's some nice highlighting. Very well done!

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#3 » Oct 17 2015 06:12

Indeed, really enjoying the subtle theme. Is that the Fireblade's head piece?

- Tael.

Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#4 » Oct 18 2015 04:04

Thanks guys!

Lui'ot - yes I wasn't sure about the rocks, but being short of basing materials shoved them on anyway.

And thanks again Tael, I copied the subtle theme from your urban cadre, changing the armour colour for a desert theme. The Shas'ui's head is a Cadian shock troop Sargent head, minus nose, hair and with a nasal slit.

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#5 » Oct 18 2015 06:20

Really? (Scheme) - very cool; good to hear it helped kickstart and idea :D

Cadian head.. well - I had not thought to use that one; I have a spare - might just do that myself! ;)

Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: A new beginning

Post#6 » Oct 19 2015 03:49

I didn't have an ungor head... :P

I have decided to condense postings into this single project log, so here is my second squad (again)

I also (now) realise that this is an incredibly inopportune time to start posting pictures of an antiquated Tau army. So dazzled was I by the new firewarriors, that I completely failed to pick up on the new crisis variants on the way. Slightly frustrated that I may now need to do some more tinkering with these; I nevertheless have spent the evening painting like a Fio possessed, to get the finishing touches on my first squad of XV8s.

The Shas'vre is obviously a Forgeworld XV84:

The Two Shas'ui have Forgeworld components, along with my own head and shoulder designs:

Apologies for the many many images
Last edited by Ironsky on Nov 09 2016 01:26, edited 2 times in total.

Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

An addition of Pathfinders

Post#7 » Nov 02 2015 01:11

My first squad of repainted pathfinders!

In my personal army fluff I have a small Contingent under O'Ironsky (named after his preference for deepstriking lots of battlesuits onto the field, not after that film). Ironsky leads the main 'standard' cadre, to which all my previously posted squads belong. El'Firestorm leads the second cadre, mainly fast attack and tanks, while El'Shadowdance leads the third cadre, which is stealth and reconnaissance.

It is to her (Shadowdance's) cadre that these pathfinders belong. My initial plan was to work through cadre by cadre, but in the few games I have played recently, I've really missed markerlights!

In my previous colour scheme Pathfinders were painted in the same way as my stealth suits (a classic dark brown), but since re-basing with Martian ironearth and ocre, I feel that the red colouring more fits the stealthy look I was going for.
Last edited by Ironsky on Nov 09 2016 01:27, edited 3 times in total.

Panarus
Shas

Post#8 » Nov 02 2015 02:09

You, Sir, are no beginner!
This is a very nice colour scheme and lensind and especially weathering/battle damage are commendable.
I´m looking forward to your expanding cadre
:D
May burning heretics guide us through the darkness.

Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#9 » Nov 02 2015 05:08

Cheers!

No. Not a beginner, just returning after a few years break. Hopefully more soon!

Ironsky

Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: An addition of Ethereal

Post#10 » Nov 22 2015 08:18

Hello All,

I've been getting itchy fingers in my re-painting spree, and my eyes have turned towards this guy:
(I'm going to give him white armour).

I made him soon after the Longstrike model came out, a simple conversion whereby I repositioned the left arm, and made a new hand holding an honour blade. I may further convert the backpack into a jet pack (counts-as hover drone)...

I may use his current armour colour for my stealth suits, and I will hopefully get round to painting him when I finish my tetras...

Ironsky

Al'tyr
Shas

Re: Ironsky's Vior'la desert operations Cadre

Post#11 » Nov 22 2015 01:25

I like your ethereal. I may give that a go myself for my Aun'va bodyguards.

Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#12 » Nov 22 2015 03:26

Thanks Al'tyr. I saw your Aun'shi post this morning and was inspired to have another bash at this one!

Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#13 » Nov 29 2015 12:19

A few pictures of completed Tetras

A re-painted Ethereal and a Fireblade coming soon
Last edited by Ironsky on Nov 09 2016 01:28, edited 2 times in total.

The Pounder
Shas

Post#14 » Dec 04 2015 10:14

Looking good.
Some dynamic poses and a gritty look to the force.
Hopefully I can achieve the same with my own (that's the aim)

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#15 » Jan 07 2016 04:55

Ironsky wrote:Friends,

This is my first post on ATT, and will form a brief introduction to a long term ongoing project.

Having recently returned to the hobby I have picked up a lot of inspiration from this site, and as I now have a few models painted up I hope to share them with you.

My project so far has consisted of stripping paint from cruelly abused miniatures, which suffered from my early forays into 40k. I now have painted around half of my Shas'la, and have made a start on XV8s. My Cadre hails from the Vior'la sept, and the colour scheme was very loosely based on that presented in the 6th edition codex, albeit with white squad markings, mainly because I prefer the look of them. I do however concede to the odd red panel on antenna, or elsewhere on each model. Rank markings are largely as of the first Tau codex (I like the pale helmets), but with red squad markings for squad leaders.

I leave you with some pictures of my first squad.

More images soon.

Ironsky

I would like to give you a short word of advice for when you take your photos, as I feel you could produce better images for your readers :) If you are open to it, that is of course.

If you want to get better focus and less blur in your images, try moving your camera or phone back a bit, and zooming in. This should allow the camera/phone to focus on a wider range of distances, giving you a better looking model with less or no blur. I only say this to help you get good images, so please do not be upset :D
The days of goodly English is went
Ziss old dog still has a few tricks!

Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#16 » Jan 07 2016 12:52

If you want to get better focus and less blur in your images

I think you underestimate the burred nature of my painting style sir... :P
Is this post in reference to the photos in the section you quoted or to all the photos in this project log? I am aware that the images you quoted are a bit burred (they were my first ever post), but I thought I had improved matters in later posts. If all my pictures are out of focus then I offer my sincerest apologies and will try to improve my photography in the future.

Ironsky

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#17 » Jan 07 2016 09:13

Forgive me, I haven't seen any of your later posts. Yes, I was only referring to the images I quote :)
The days of goodly English is went
Ziss old dog still has a few tricks!

Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Ironsky's Vior'la desert operations Cadre: Fireblade

Post#18 » Feb 07 2016 05:42

A few pictures of a Fireblade conversion I've been working on

Last edited by Ironsky on Nov 09 2016 01:24, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Project Logs”