Ironsky's desert operations Cadre

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
themoogle
Shas

Re: Ironsky's Vior'la desert operations Cadre

Post#31 » Apr 13 2016 01:05

Panzer wrote:Hate to tell you but Ricordis is right. Septs are defined by the color of their sept markings (and other parts of their armor) and white markings are T'au. Vior'la uses red markings.

Semi correct.

In the book they say that the armor doesnt reflect what sept they belong to, only the markings. The color of the armor is defined by the battle situations etc.
that is if you stick by that like it was your comfort blanket ofc, the magical bit with Warhammer is that you are free to paint however you want :)

regardless, personaly I don't like the color choices on the exhausts but I'm amazed by your awesomly crisp lines on the Devilfish sept markings, and the lens effects. Really well done imho.
Did you freehand the markings on the hatches too?

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#32 » Apr 13 2016 03:10

Not sure how that would make my statement semi correct. It's what I said. The armor part was about the colored sections that define ones rank and is usually painted in the same color as the sept markings.

themoogle
Shas

Post#33 » Apr 13 2016 03:19

My deepest apologys then, it kinda read out to me as other parts then the shoulderpads and helmets. I've been manicly reading and searchign the books for correct ways to mark rank and squad markings. And the only bits I've read was that on the battle suits the ranks are marked withthe helmet beeing colored in the sept color, depending on the rank its either one antenna, two antennas, the entire helmet or inversed. and on fireteams the shoulder pads center piece was colored in the sept color if they are 'Ui.

Ironsky
Shas'La

Post#34 » Apr 13 2016 12:50

Oops I started an argument :eek:

Apologies for any confusion, in short I know, and I am intentionally wrong.

I started with Tau in 2002 using the 3rd Edition Codex, meaning that (to my mind) Tau have pale helmets denoting rank and white markings. Aside from T'au, the only Sept clearly shown was Dal'Yth, which had red markings, opposed to the dark green/ blue they are today. When I set out my Sept of choice was Sa'Cea. With the arrival of the 6th edition codex (and the introduction of Sept colours) Sa'cea went orange. I am not a fan of orange, so I (loyally) changed Septs completely. I wasn't taken by the squad markings and helmet colouring, preferring to stick with what I had been doing already, thus as I stated in my opening lines:

My Cadre hails from the Vior'la sept, and the colour scheme was very loosely based on that presented in the 6th edition codex, albeit with white squad markings, mainly because I prefer the look of them. I do however concede to the odd red panel on antenna, or elsewhere on each model. Rank markings are largely as of the first Tau codex (I like the pale helmets), but with red squad markings for squad leaders.

Therefore while you are both correct Panzer & Ricordis These are details I have chosen to overlook, rather than details I was unaware of - I was wrong intentionally. When finished the model will have token red panels to bring it more into line with 'modern' Vior'la markings. I hope this community can forgive my slight lack of conformity with cannon colour schemes.

themoogle
Did you freehand the markings on the hatches too?
Thanks! This was actually an attempt at transfers (I usually do freehand), but I didn't like the transfers, so painted over them. Extra cunning accidental painting trick learnt!

I will try to get this finished with more red on by the end of the week.
Last edited by Ironsky on Nov 09 2016 01:33, edited 1 time in total.

Ricordis
Shas'La

Post#35 » Apr 14 2016 03:36

Bro, you are allowed to paint whatever you want.
I once saw a guy who loved the T'au scheme a little bit too much and colored his allies the same way. Astra Militarum were his Gue'vesa in T'au scheme, even Traitor Astartes joined his fight for The Greater Good, abandoning their chapter colors and went through the T'au respray workshop :D

Another one loved the Ultramarines colorscheme and used it for his Tau-Army. The whole blue-yellow-white thing with helmet-colors defining the role and so on.

Do whatever makes you happy. I just wanted to point out it's not 100% correct Vior'la, before you show them somewhere, claiming it's Vior'la and it may get awkward ;)

edit: I also want to say something relating to the thread content ^^
don't use transfers, you did a great job on doing them freehand. Have you tried to do some contrast? Don't know how it would look.

Crunchy_Monk
Shas'La

Post#36 » Apr 15 2016 02:11

I only wish I could get my Firewarriors to look half as good as yours. Sadly, I have a slight hand tremor that makes a lot of the finder detail really hard. Awesome work :D
Aur'ocq shath'r'i tskan sha Tau'va

Ironsky
Shas'La

Re: Ironsky's desert operations Cadre - Devilfish

Post#37 » Apr 30 2016 08:27

Thanks Crunchy Monk!

Ricordis I can't take credit for freehand painting the sept symbols as I did use transfers, I just painted over them afterwards. I do generally agree though and the sept symbols are the only use of transfers on this model.

Slightly later than intended, but I have finally finished the Devilfish

It now looks slightly more battered, and several dustings of weathering powders have hopefully toned down the exhaust glow.

I have also changed the name of the thread, to save any future confusion over my cadre markings (Still definitely Vior'La though)! ;)
Last edited by Ironsky on Nov 09 2016 01:34, edited 1 time in total.

Ironsky
Shas'La

Re: Ironsky's desert operations Cadre- Introducing the TX128

Post#38 » Aug 01 2016 10:01

The grizzled old warrior sighed and kneaded his tired eyes with the heels of his hands. Returning his gaze to the viewing screen he watched his last operational Stormsurge explode, as the Knight it had been pursuing offered it a coup de grace. With a few deft touches of his wrist-comm he called off his shas’el . There would be no Kauyon today.

Griping the hilt of his Mont'myr tightly he stepped down from the raised dais on which the consol stood. “They are powerful, these new suits, but they are too damn slow! Is there anything you can do?”
A diminutive fio stepped out of the shadows and made towards the old Fire warrior. Reaching up he patted the battered old shas on the shoulder. “There is a prototype I have had my fio’vre working on Shas’O” he said crisply.

The shas chuckled, slapping his little friend on the back. “Always so formal Fio’O Vior’la Kirsa’erra Sabu’ro! What have you been working on my friend?”
The little engineer’s eyes crinkled in a smile. “It is a project I started before we left for Mu’gulath Bay O’Temu’ten” he paused and bowed. “If I may..?”

Temu’ten motioned his assent and Kirsa’erra Sabu’ro slipped a holo-projecter from his voluminous sleeve. Temu’ten grinned at the projected images and bowed his head to his chief engineer “How soon can you have this ready?”
“We have a single fully operational TX128 Stormfin, which is ready for field testing pending your approval Commander. I do not have the resources to build any more, given our current isolation from the empire, but as soon as the gulf is navigable again I could provide you with as many as you wish ”

Temu’ten raised a brow, quizzically “Stormfin my friend... Really?”

I proudly present the TX128 Stormfin! It has been a long time coming (about 10 months of work-interrupted building and painting), but my Stormsurge-Hammerhead conversion is finally finished. Unlike a lot of people on ATT I do quite like the open cockpit, it just looks rubbish on a battlesuit. I thought it would look good on a tank, so my aim was to get all of the Stormsurge weapon options on (and in) a Hammerhead chassis. The main weapon options are magnetised following Warpath's guide, and discussions relating to the build can be found here.
Last edited by Ironsky on Nov 09 2016 01:36, edited 1 time in total.

Rascovich
Shas

Re: Ironsky's desert operations Cadre

Post#39 » Aug 01 2016 11:04

thoroughly impressed with that conversion stormsurge/hammerhead. nicely done

El ZorDacK
Shas'Saal

Post#40 » Aug 01 2016 01:01

My good Aun! I would love to see what will you do with the legs!, maybe a 4 legged Titan?

Ironsky
Shas'La

Post#41 » Aug 01 2016 02:43

Thanks Rascovich!

Unfortunately no creepy-crawley Titans El ZorDack, I only bought the stormsurge parts you can see in the pictures, meaning that the overall cost of the model (excluding the hammerhead I've had since 2002) was around 1/3 the price of a regular stormsurge...

Tael
Fio'O

Post#42 » Aug 02 2016 01:13

Thats very impressive IronSky - superbly modelled up :D

I kind of like the need for the engines to go into hover so it can stabilise and unleash the fury :)

Ironsky
Shas'La

Post#43 » Aug 02 2016 12:58

Thanks Tael! Yes that flufffy element was entirely planned... that said it does make sense to hover before firing the cluster missiles, and if I ever get round to using it in a game, I will make the amendment that it can't move and fire missiles.

GeorgeJetson
Shas

Post#44 » Aug 02 2016 01:24

Ironsky,

I like your desert scheme a lot, but one thing that stands out to me is your weathering. How do you do it? Do you use a chipping technique to reveal an undercoat or do you add the weathering on top of the base layer?

I am looking for something that'll work with my older Codex Tau Light Ochre scheme and the Khorne Red / Dawnstone FSE schemes. I've never used weathering powders, but they look promising. I like yours because the effect is subtle, especially on your troops and smaller units-- I want that look too. Like, "Hey, we've been traipsing through the desert for a couple days, but we're still a professional military force" look.

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#45 » Aug 02 2016 01:37

Actually missiles have almost no recoil normally so it doesn't make THAT much sense to be stationary for those. :D
Still cool though!

Ironsky
Shas'La

Post#46 » Aug 04 2016 04:23

Thanks GeorgeJetson. I paint the entire model with out weathering (including shading and highlights), then with an old detail brush I remove most of the paint then with a shaky wrist I randomly apply streaks of paint to areas most likely to chip. The largest of these then get a bit of metallic paint brushed over them. I use vallejo weathering powders, light ocre and charcoal powder in relevant places.

Panzer - yes I was just trying to cover up the fact that that was the only way the missiles could actually deploy...

Tael
Fio'O

Post#47 » Aug 04 2016 06:13

Actually missiles have almost no recoil normally so it doesn't make THAT much sense to be stationary for those.

Yeah, quite true for a tracked combat vehicle, but I like the hollywood fiction of stabilising then unleashing hades :D

Ironsky
Shas'La

Post#48 » Oct 11 2016 03:05

Well it has been a whole year since I stopped lurking on this forum and actually made a membership profile. Looking back it really is amazing how far I have developed in a single year, constantly being inspired to greater efforts by other members of this community. I think that my painting and (in this case, almost more importantly) my photography have improved throughout the year. I have experimented with a range of techniques that I hadn't tried before such as using weathering powders and an exploratory crack at blending.

This year has also included my largest model to-date, and my first competition entry. Hopefully next year my productivity will go up, as this (my first group shot) is surprisingly small:

Shas'nel Vior'la Anda K'ha 'Hailsworn' leading elements of the personal Contingent of Shas'O Vior'la Temu'ten 'Ironsky'

The overall aim of this project log was to see my collection which was started in 2001 completely repainted, before being diverted by any new acquisitions. This hasn't been 100% successful as I am currently working on my first riptide, which I did not own at the start of the year, and alongside that I hope to get a squad of Kroot painted, and to bring my solitary crisis squad up to 7 suits-strong, along with modifications to bring them more into line with the new suits.

I will leave off my nostalgic ramblings with a few pictures I couldn't fit into the data sheet of the Pechodactyl Rider.

I didn't have time to take as many WIP photos as I would have liked, but luckily Seraphon Terradon Riders come in boxes of three, so I'll be making more soon ;)

Thanks for a great year ATT.

Ironsky

Return to “Project Logs”