Ironsky's desert operations Cadre

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Ironsky's desert operations Cadre

Post#41 » Aug 01 2016 02:43

Thanks Rascovich!

Unfortunately no creepy-crawley Titans El ZorDack, I only bought the stormsurge parts you can see in the pictures, meaning that the overall cost of the model (excluding the hammerhead I've had since 2002) was around 1/3 the price of a regular stormsurge...

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#42 » Aug 02 2016 01:13

Thats very impressive IronSky - superbly modelled up :D

I kind of like the need for the engines to go into hover so it can stabilise and unleash the fury :)

Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#43 » Aug 02 2016 12:58

Thanks Tael! Yes that flufffy element was entirely planned... that said it does make sense to hover before firing the cluster missiles, and if I ever get round to using it in a game, I will make the amendment that it can't move and fire missiles.

GeorgeJetson
Shas

Post#44 » Aug 02 2016 01:24

Ironsky,

I like your desert scheme a lot, but one thing that stands out to me is your weathering. How do you do it? Do you use a chipping technique to reveal an undercoat or do you add the weathering on top of the base layer?

I am looking for something that'll work with my older Codex Tau Light Ochre scheme and the Khorne Red / Dawnstone FSE schemes. I've never used weathering powders, but they look promising. I like yours because the effect is subtle, especially on your troops and smaller units-- I want that look too. Like, "Hey, we've been traipsing through the desert for a couple days, but we're still a professional military force" look.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#45 » Aug 02 2016 01:37

Actually missiles have almost no recoil normally so it doesn't make THAT much sense to be stationary for those. :D
Still cool though!

Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#46 » Aug 04 2016 04:23

Thanks GeorgeJetson. I paint the entire model with out weathering (including shading and highlights), then with an old detail brush I remove most of the paint then with a shaky wrist I randomly apply streaks of paint to areas most likely to chip. The largest of these then get a bit of metallic paint brushed over them. I use vallejo weathering powders, light ocre and charcoal powder in relevant places.

Panzer - yes I was just trying to cover up the fact that that was the only way the missiles could actually deploy...

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#47 » Aug 04 2016 06:13

Actually missiles have almost no recoil normally so it doesn't make THAT much sense to be stationary for those.

Yeah, quite true for a tracked combat vehicle, but I like the hollywood fiction of stabilising then unleashing hades :D

Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#48 » Oct 11 2016 03:05

Well it has been a whole year since I stopped lurking on this forum and actually made a membership profile. Looking back it really is amazing how far I have developed in a single year, constantly being inspired to greater efforts by other members of this community. I think that my painting and (in this case, almost more importantly) my photography have improved throughout the year. I have experimented with a range of techniques that I hadn't tried before such as using weathering powders and an exploratory crack at blending.

This year has also included my largest model to-date, and my first competition entry. Hopefully next year my productivity will go up, as this (my first group shot) is surprisingly small:

Shas'nel Vior'la Anda K'ha 'Hailsworn' leading elements of the personal Contingent of Shas'O Vior'la Temu'ten 'Ironsky'

The overall aim of this project log was to see my collection which was started in 2001 completely repainted, before being diverted by any new acquisitions. This hasn't been 100% successful as I am currently working on my first riptide, which I did not own at the start of the year, and alongside that I hope to get a squad of Kroot painted, and to bring my solitary crisis squad up to 7 suits-strong, along with modifications to bring them more into line with the new suits.

I will leave off my nostalgic ramblings with a few pictures I couldn't fit into the data sheet of the Pechodactyl Rider.

I didn't have time to take as many WIP photos as I would have liked, but luckily Seraphon Terradon Riders come in boxes of three, so I'll be making more soon ;)

Thanks for a great year ATT.

Ironsky

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#49 » Oct 11 2016 09:51

Ironsky,
It's hard to believe it's only been a year. You're certainly contributing to the board like a long-time veteran. I love your conversion work, and your contest entry is definitely among my favorites.
Here's to another year of top notch work.

Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#50 » Oct 12 2016 12:52

Aww thanks Agentarrow. There were meant to be many more Kroot hounds, but I couldn't get hold of any in time. Apparently they don't sell well, so GW doesn't stock them in-store. :sad:

El ZorDacK
Shas'Saal

Post#51 » Oct 12 2016 01:07

:P Man!, naot only the camouflage of the Cadre, also my jungle Trees are red!

Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#52 » Oct 12 2016 02:25

Ah well, great minds. Also my constant copying of your stuff. :P Definitely hadn't noticed that. This is getting slightly creepy now...

I hadn't painted any trees for ages (as can be seen from the outdated tree I used. It was surprisingly fun, experimenting with different reds and shades, and just making things up as I went along.

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#53 » Oct 14 2016 12:35

Solid update and more photos of a personal favourite entry to the Challenge. Your efforts are putting me to shame, I really need to get onto my Tau projects asap! :D

Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#54 » Oct 14 2016 12:40

Tael wrote: I really need to get onto my Tau projects asap! :D

You really do, I'm on tenterhooks to see the end result of your Tau Prosthetics project, if you don't finish it, I can't copy it :P

Thanks Teal any modelling praise means a lot coming from you!

Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#55 » Oct 15 2016 12:08

My New Shield Line arrived today courtesy of Czar Ziggy

I will fully magnetise to allow for as much flexibility as possible, and am now waiting on a largish shipment of magnets. So far I have removed mould-lines and drilled out recesses for magnetisation.

I will probably paint the Shield Line Vallejo Model Colour Cavalry Brown (the same red I use for my Pathfinders), but I am open to suggestions...

Thanks Again to Czar Ziggy, the organisers and judges of the 2016 R&D challenge and everyone who voted for my entry!

Ironsky

El ZorDacK
Shas'Saal

Post#56 » Oct 15 2016 01:31

Congratulations! Maybe a contrastant color?

Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#57 » Oct 15 2016 02:33

To you too! I thought the shiny blue shield should contrast nicely with the muted red, and I will probably paint the internal walls and floors Fio'tak beige. What would you suggest?

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#58 » Oct 16 2016 05:03

Wow - I had not seen underneath this kit before; looking forward to this project :D

Return to “Project Logs”