Ironsky's desert operations Cadre

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Re: Ironsky's Vior'la desert operations Cadre

Post#19 » Feb 07 2016 06:39

Ooh this is very nice, not outsizing his team, yet certainly more equipped. Looks great - liking the ideas. :)

Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#20 » Feb 08 2016 02:17

Thanks Tael!

Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Ironsky's desert operations Cadre

Post#21 » Feb 21 2016 02:19

Slow progress all round at the moment- I am not a project finisher! I've still not finished my Ethereal, am having problems with modelling options for tank commanders in a stormsurge conversion I've been working on, have been expanding my crisis squad (I hear you can have more than 3 of these now), and I have got in the last bitz I need to finish my XV88s, (which I notice look completely different now), so plenty to do.

That said (typed?) I have reverted to my default setting and finished up another squad of Firewarriors (only three more to go now).

Not sure what the future will bring (hopefully something from my to-do list). As always any feedback welcome!
Last edited by Ironsky on Nov 09 2016 01:29, edited 3 times in total.

El ZorDacK
Shas'Saal

Post#22 » Feb 24 2016 06:57

Very nice Sir¡, quite similar scheme I run in my troops, hope see more soon¡ :biggrin:

Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Ironsky's Vior'la desert operations Cadre: Devilfish WIP

Post#23 » Apr 02 2016 06:12

Thanks El Zor DacK!

I have been working on a centrepiece tank for several months now, and, since I am finally almost finished enough to start painting I decided to do a paint test model first - I haven't yet painted a tank in this colour scheme. Having trawled through the Project Logs I decided to try the scheme suggested in the 3rd Edition Codex, which I completely failed to achieve at the time. I hunted out my battered copy and gave stippling a try:

I need to neaten things up a lot, and will then proceed with weathering the hell out of it, but would like to gauge some opinions first. Namely: Are the splodges too dark? I wanted to give a better camouflage colour for my bases (see above), but am not convinced with how well this actually works...

The main armour colour is Vallejo Model Colour Khaki (this will not change), with stippling done in GW Bestial Brown.

If anyone has any comments or suggestions please let me know.
Last edited by Ironsky on Nov 09 2016 01:30, edited 2 times in total.

Crunchy_Monk
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#24 » Apr 02 2016 11:17

I like. It seems that you and I had the same idea - My cadre is also a Vior'la, desert operating cadre ;)

I love the fireblade, and the crisp highlighting details. Maybe one of these days I will get my cadre painted....or fully assembled. Lol
Aur'ocq shath'r'i tskan sha Tau'va

Plasma Storm
Shas

Post#25 » Apr 02 2016 01:13

WOW Ironsky,
All those models look good!
I love how you have gone and done all the small details like the lenses on the fire warriors, they must have been a pain to paint?
Through Plasma, Superiority

Blueshock
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Re: Ironsky's Vior'la desert operations Cadre: Devilfish WIP

Post#26 » Apr 02 2016 10:39

Ironsky wrote:I need to neaten things up a lot, and will then proceed with weathering the hell out of it, but would like to gauge some opinions first. Namely: Are the splodges too dark? I wanted to give a better camouflage colour for my bases (see above), but am not convinced with how well this actually works...

The main armour colour is Vallejo Model Couour Khaki (this will not change), with stippling done in GW Bestial Brown.

If anyone has any comments or suggestions please let me know.

Ironsky

Hey bud. Looking nice so far. I would recommend though if you don't want your stippling that dark dab your brush into the paint without watering it down, then wiping almost all of it off. You'll have to go slow and do small bits at a time but I promise it works. I use the 3rd Ed paint scheme as well and stippling I've been using since 2003. It is tricky to accomplish but yours does not look bad at all. I don't like citadel's stippling brushes and I can recommend the best thing to do is use an old tank brush or base coat brush and snip the bristles at an angle with a pair of scissors and it works perfect.

Your army looks great though so only use this technique if you wish to lighten it up more.
My T'au Army

~My Life for the Empire~

Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#27 » Apr 03 2016 03:09

Wow thanks all!

Plasma Storm-Yes I am a VERY slow Painter :D

Blueshock- Thanks, your work was one of my inspiration points (also exactly the advise I was looking for). I was using a highly worn-out standard brush, and confess that I may have got a bit lax with removing paint from it. I will hunt out a larger brush and have another go...
Last edited by Ironsky on Nov 09 2016 01:31, edited 1 time in total.

Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Ironsky's Vior'la desert operations Cadre - Devilfish

Post#28 » Apr 12 2016 03:09

Some more pictures of progress on the Devilfish WIP. I followed Blueshock's advice and used a larger brush with more stringent paint removal. This got me much closer to the desired effect, so I went ahead and carried on painting before taking any photos:

It is now finished save for weathering and addition of seeker missiles and a few vehicle upgrades I've been working on.

The lighting effect around the heat vent thingies is still a bit sloppy, but is as 'clean' as I need it before dirtying it up again
Last edited by Ironsky on Nov 09 2016 01:32, edited 2 times in total.

Ricordis
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#29 » Apr 12 2016 11:03

Erm, sorry bro but that's T'au, not Vior'la. Except your Shas'ui, they are Vior'la.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#30 » Apr 13 2016 12:48

Hate to tell you but Ricordis is right. Septs are defined by the color of their sept markings (and other parts of their armor) and white markings are T'au. Vior'la uses red markings.
wh40k lexicanum is pretty helpful for figuring out your sept.

themoogle
Shas

Post#31 » Apr 13 2016 01:05

Panzer wrote:Hate to tell you but Ricordis is right. Septs are defined by the color of their sept markings (and other parts of their armor) and white markings are T'au. Vior'la uses red markings.

Semi correct.

In the book they say that the armor doesnt reflect what sept they belong to, only the markings. The color of the armor is defined by the battle situations etc.
that is if you stick by that like it was your comfort blanket ofc, the magical bit with Warhammer is that you are free to paint however you want :)

regardless, personaly I don't like the color choices on the exhausts but I'm amazed by your awesomly crisp lines on the Devilfish sept markings, and the lens effects. Really well done imho.
Did you freehand the markings on the hatches too?

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#32 » Apr 13 2016 03:10

Not sure how that would make my statement semi correct. It's what I said. The armor part was about the colored sections that define ones rank and is usually painted in the same color as the sept markings.

themoogle
Shas

Post#33 » Apr 13 2016 03:19

My deepest apologys then, it kinda read out to me as other parts then the shoulderpads and helmets. I've been manicly reading and searchign the books for correct ways to mark rank and squad markings. And the only bits I've read was that on the battle suits the ranks are marked withthe helmet beeing colored in the sept color, depending on the rank its either one antenna, two antennas, the entire helmet or inversed. and on fireteams the shoulder pads center piece was colored in the sept color if they are 'Ui.

Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#34 » Apr 13 2016 12:50

Oops I started an argument :eek:

Apologies for any confusion, in short I know, and I am intentionally wrong.

I started with Tau in 2002 using the 3rd Edition Codex, meaning that (to my mind) Tau have pale helmets denoting rank and white markings. Aside from T'au, the only Sept clearly shown was Dal'Yth, which had red markings, opposed to the dark green/ blue they are today. When I set out my Sept of choice was Sa'Cea. With the arrival of the 6th edition codex (and the introduction of Sept colours) Sa'cea went orange. I am not a fan of orange, so I (loyally) changed Septs completely. I wasn't taken by the squad markings and helmet colouring, preferring to stick with what I had been doing already, thus as I stated in my opening lines:

My Cadre hails from the Vior'la sept, and the colour scheme was very loosely based on that presented in the 6th edition codex, albeit with white squad markings, mainly because I prefer the look of them. I do however concede to the odd red panel on antenna, or elsewhere on each model. Rank markings are largely as of the first Tau codex (I like the pale helmets), but with red squad markings for squad leaders.

Therefore while you are both correct Panzer & Ricordis These are details I have chosen to overlook, rather than details I was unaware of - I was wrong intentionally. When finished the model will have token red panels to bring it more into line with 'modern' Vior'la markings. I hope this community can forgive my slight lack of conformity with cannon colour schemes.

themoogle
Did you freehand the markings on the hatches too?
Thanks! This was actually an attempt at transfers (I usually do freehand), but I didn't like the transfers, so painted over them. Extra cunning accidental painting trick learnt!

I will try to get this finished with more red on by the end of the week.
Last edited by Ironsky on Nov 09 2016 01:33, edited 1 time in total.

Ricordis
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#35 » Apr 14 2016 03:36

Bro, you are allowed to paint whatever you want.
I once saw a guy who loved the T'au scheme a little bit too much and colored his allies the same way. Astra Militarum were his Gue'vesa in T'au scheme, even Traitor Astartes joined his fight for The Greater Good, abandoning their chapter colors and went through the T'au respray workshop :D

Another one loved the Ultramarines colorscheme and used it for his Tau-Army. The whole blue-yellow-white thing with helmet-colors defining the role and so on.

Do whatever makes you happy. I just wanted to point out it's not 100% correct Vior'la, before you show them somewhere, claiming it's Vior'la and it may get awkward ;)

edit: I also want to say something relating to the thread content ^^
don't use transfers, you did a great job on doing them freehand. Have you tried to do some contrast? Don't know how it would look.

Crunchy_Monk
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#36 » Apr 15 2016 02:11

I only wish I could get my Firewarriors to look half as good as yours. Sadly, I have a slight hand tremor that makes a lot of the finder detail really hard. Awesome work :D
Aur'ocq shath'r'i tskan sha Tau'va

Return to “Project Logs”