Longfist's Cadre Painting log. (updated w/ Longstrike)

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Longfist14
Shas'Saal

Longfist's Cadre Painting log. (updated w/ Longstrike)

Post#1 » Dec 05 2015 06:21

Hello,

I thought it would be a good idea to start this log to help keep me motivated to work on my models for Adepticon. Generally I fall into a yearly ritual of painting and basing everything at the last minute, hopefully i can break that tradition this year. In a perfect world I'll even get a full nights rest before the first dice fall.

I'm a pretty firm believer that if I'm going to start a new army its worth trying to incorporate something new that I haven't done before so I can grow as a painter. When I restarted my Tau army a few years ago I couldn't decide on a color scheme. I just knew that I wanted a darker looking army and that I wanted to practice using my airbrush that I had just gotten. I spent what seemed like forever trying to find something that I would like. I finally stumbled upon a riptide painted by the studio Awaken Realms that i really liked and decided to try my best to emulate it. I'm by no means that great of a painter, but hopefully everyone likes them. Sorry the picture quality isn't exactly top notch, taking pictures of models is an art all on its own. Any and all questions and criticisms are welcome. Thanks!

Commander R'alai: I never liked how his head was in a fixed position so I set out to change that first. I also wanted to beef him up a bit so he got Farsight's engines and broadside legs to support the extra weight added to him. Pretty happy with how he came out.

Here's the first squad of painted crisis suits.

Just pretend that the Broadsides cannons are smart missiles. They are more exciting that way...

Last edited by Longfist14 on Dec 18 2017 11:59, edited 5 times in total.

n1md4
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Longfist's Cadre Painting log.

Post#2 » Dec 06 2015 05:17

I like the art-work, it has a comic appearance, and emulates fluid motion - with the strong sweeping brush-strokes. Different, and good, it works well.

The conversion is great too, I didn't realise it was converted to begin with! In contrast to the bold lines, the blue energy-glow is a nice contrast done well!
This is a sad day for the nobel profession of otter milking -- Knives
Onmyou's Motivation Service

B'saal Shi
Fio

Post#3 » Dec 07 2015 04:30

I like the color scheme, it reminds me Ulthwé Strike Force declined in a steady and bold Tau style :crafty: :crafty: :crafty:

The energy effect, both on the guns and on the armor, really stands out :eek: :eek: :eek: :fear:

Dempaattack
Shas

Post#4 » Dec 07 2015 09:48

Look really sweet. I want to see some fire warriors aswell :)

Longfist14
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Dec 07 2015 01:45

Thanks guys, I'm glad everyone seems to like them. Originally the army was going to be a Farsight enclave. I even have all of the Eight already built i just need to get them painted and based. I have since bought some breachers so its going to not just be battlesuits anymore. Maybe I'll even get an ethereal if I'm really feeling adventurous.

Dempaattack wrote:Look really sweet. I want to see some fire warriors aswell :)

Ask and you shall receive!

Longfist14
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Dec 09 2015 02:19

So as promised here are the Breachers I have been working on. Sorry for the picture quality all I have is a camera phone :-( . Hopefully for Christmas someone will get me a new camera. I think the next thing on the list is going to be their ride. I cant see myself using Breachers without the humble Devilfish.

Last edited by Longfist14 on Dec 13 2017 09:24, edited 1 time in total.

Aj'T'au
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Dec 09 2015 02:41

I love your style! Are those the armourcast battle fx on your breachers? I've been hesitant to get those because they are metal. They look great on your models.

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#8 » Dec 09 2015 02:43

Really cool style for the cadre scheme - particularly a fan of the XV88 legs on the Shas'O.

Nice touch with the gunfire sfx for the Breachers :)

- Tael.

The Pounder
Shas

Post#9 » Dec 09 2015 03:28

Soooo good!
These are fantastically done, the glow of the weapons the
fire effect, really great stuff!
Looking forward to seeing what you do next,

Dempaattack
Shas

Post#10 » Dec 09 2015 04:53

Thats awsome keep up the good work.

Longfist14
Shas'Saal

Post#11 » Dec 09 2015 06:52

Aj'T'au wrote:I love your style! Are those the armourcast battle fx on your breachers? I've been hesitant to get those because they are metal. They look great on your models.

Yes, they are from Armorcast. I was definitely hesitant about buying them myself, I originally bought them for my Coldstar commander. After trying to do some research as to what the sizes would look like I figured I would take a leap of faith. I'm actually really pleased with them, yes they are metal but for they seemed to be sized pretty well. I had to remove a minor bit of mold lines and flashing but that was it.

I'm glad everyone likes them I had a hard time deciding what to do with the bases. I wanted them to blend in a bit with the models but still have some color on them. Overall I'm happy with how they turned out, I'm thinking it should be easy to do all the bases that way.

Siyath
Shas

Post#12 » Dec 10 2015 04:05

Solid work. I admire the dedication with the glow effect in the recesses of the armour. Picking a scheme with sharp panel linings everywhere or glow effects in places come in multitudes in every battlesuit can be a bit annoying in some point. : )

Longfist14
Shas'Saal

Post#13 » Dec 11 2015 05:09

Nothing real exciting just figured I would post the finished Devilfish. Now my Breachers can ride in style. Came out pretty well for being a broken model my friend gave me. Now its happy and painted in its new home. :D The real question is what should I work on next???

The real question is what should I work on next???
Last edited by Longfist14 on Dec 13 2017 09:27, edited 1 time in total.

Dempaattack
Shas

Post#14 » Dec 11 2015 09:21

Awsome devilfish.
You can work on kroots??

B'saal Shi
Fio

Post#15 » Dec 11 2015 10:41

Great work on other models as well; I really love your style :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Longfist14
Shas'Saal

Post#16 » Dec 11 2015 11:45

I do own a squad of kroot, but I have absolutely no idea how I would paint them. I need to figure out a way to make them look unique, while still looking like they belong to the army.

ARC'Thunder
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#17 » Dec 11 2015 11:51

Longfist, your cadre looks great! I love the color scheme you've got going—the gray armor colors really work well for those blues and oranges.

If I may, do you mind giving us a basic list of the paints you're using?

Longfist14
Shas'Saal

Post#18 » Dec 11 2015 02:25

ARC'Thunder wrote:Longfist, your cadre looks great! I love the color scheme you've got going—the gray armor colors really work well for those blues and oranges.

If I may, do you mind giving us a basic list of the paints you're using?

I use a couple different brands of paint, here's the list though.

Armor:
Vallejo model air USAF Grey
Vallejo model air US Grey
Vallejo model color White (edge highlights)

Orange energy:
GW Mephiston red
Vallejo model color Bright Orange
GW Lugganath Orange
Vallejo model color White

Blue Energy:
Vallejo model color Light Turquoise
Vallejo model color Sky Blue
Vallejo model color White

Gold:
GW Hashut Copper
GW Auric Armor Gold (worst covering paint I've ever used, it ridiculous)

Silver: (The silvers are old, not sure what the new ones are called)
GW Boltgun Metal
GW Nuln Oil
GW Mithril Silver

I think that covers all of them. Thanks for asking, if you have any questions let me know.

Also here's a quick preview for whats next.

Last edited by Longfist14 on Dec 13 2017 09:37, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Project Logs”