Longfist's Cadre Painting log. (updated w/ Longstrike)

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Longfist14
Shas'Saal

Re: Longfist's Cadre Painting log.

Post#19 » Dec 16 2015 02:52

I would have had this done sooner, but I have been a bit distracted with painting my house and playing Heroes of the Storm on my computer. At any rate this is my counts as Longstrike. A super easy conversion to pull off. Literally just cut off the end of the rail gun and glue it to the ion accelerator. I hope you guys enjoy!

Longfist14
Shas'Saal

Post#20 » Dec 17 2015 10:10

Here's the Coldstar I finished. I'm really happy with how he came out. This was the original reason I bought the Armorcast muzzle flash bits and I was pleasantly surprised how well they fit on him. Hopefully he will perform admirably in his games. Enjoy!

Chris in the socal
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: Longfist's Cadre Painting log. (updated w/ Coldstar)

Post#21 » Dec 29 2015 10:29

I really like your paint scheme and your whole modle set. They all have a great contrast to traditional tau. I think I will have to get some of the burst for my ColdStar.
TAU Record 9-2-4

Is That A Sunfish? (Coming Soon)

Longfist14
Shas'Saal

Post#22 » Jan 06 2016 04:57

Now that all the holidays are over I figured I should get myself back to the grind. I did finish a riptide and crisis suit squad that I'll post once I get a chance, but I'm really here to get an opinion on a quick test model I did for a kroot squad.

What does everyone think? anyone have any comments? I wasn't really sure what to do with them so I tried to use all the same colors I normally do. Overall I'm pretty happy with him, I just want to figure out something for his eyes and I think i might add some orange war paint to his shoulders and legs.

Deepstrike
Shas

Post#23 » Jan 06 2016 08:20

That is a beautiful Kroot! As for the eyes, what about a bit of red? Yes it's kind of a normal thing, but with the colors you have, it might look even more sinister!

Ok, adding to my previous post now,that I have had the opportunity to see the rest of your stuff.... WOW!

Love the way you paint! Unfortunately, I'm a horrible painter, but I do appreciate good artwork and yours is very good indeed! Keep it up mate!

Also, if you ever find your way to Victoria, Canada..... I could use a good painter. ;)

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#24 » Jan 06 2016 02:59

Really expressive painting style :)

I like the eye marking concept, but the closeness of the eye colour to tattoo in hue, tends to blur the effect. You may need stronger contrast in at least this area? :)

Longfist14
Shas'Saal

Post#25 » Jan 06 2016 10:59

Deepstrike wrote:That is a beautiful Kroot! As for the eyes, what about a bit of red? Yes it's kind of a normal thing, but with the colors you have, it might look even more sinister!

Ok, adding to my previous post now,that I have had the opportunity to see the rest of your stuff.... WOW!

Love the way you paint! Unfortunately, I'm a horrible painter, but I do appreciate good artwork and yours is very good indeed! Keep it up mate!

Also, if you ever find your way to Victoria, Canada..... I could use a good painter. ;)

I thought about doing the red, but I figured it would blend in to much with the face paint so I decided against it. Though I'm not particularly happy with the purple look either. Unfortunately the only way to get better at painting is to keep doing it. There are lots of great videos to help along the way, and people are usually more than willing to help as well, myself included. I have a hard enough time keeping up with my own models to paint I would be a terrible person to commission, though I am flattered you would want me!

Tael wrote:Really expressive painting style :)

I like the eye marking concept, but the closeness of the eye colour to tattoo in hue, tends to blur the effect. You may need stronger contrast in at least this area? :)

Glad you like the way I paint. I'm not the sharpest or most crisp painter, but somehow it all works out on the model. The kroot was a test to try and figure out how the rest of the armies colors would look on a kroot squad. I don't want to paint up 20 kroot just to decide they don't look like they belong to the rest of the army. Overall I do like him for the most part, though I might add the orange marks to the arms and legs as well. I don't plan on keeping the lavender color, just not entirely sure what to do with it. I might just stay with the classic black and white eyeball look.

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#26 » Jan 07 2016 04:34

Longfist14 wrote:Here's the Coldstar I finished. I'm really happy with how he came out. This was the original reason I bought the Armorcast muzzle flash bits and I was pleasantly surprised how well they fit on him. Hopefully he will perform admirably in his games. Enjoy!

I LOVE what you've done with the jet pack exhausts! I've been trying to think of a way to make jet pack exhausts, and this looks absolutely superb! Mind if I copy it with some changes?

Longfist14
Shas'Saal

Post#27 » Jan 07 2016 04:50

Bloodknife92 wrote:I LOVE what you've done with the jet pack exhausts! I've been trying to think of a way to make jet pack exhausts, and this looks absolutely superb! Mind if I copy it with some changes?

Of course I don't mind you using it. They say imitation is the most sincere form of flattery after all. Besides that just means I expect to see some cool pictures in the future! :P

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#28 » Jan 07 2016 04:02

might just stay with the classic black and white eyeball look.

Good call I think, the stark contrast will really make their gaze pop against the markings :)

Longfist14
Shas'Saal

Longfist's Cadre Painting log.

Post#29 » Jan 12 2016 07:11

Tael wrote:
might just stay with the classic black and white eyeball look.

Good call I think, the stark contrast will really make their gaze pop against the markings :)

I went back and repainted his eyes and it looks much better without the purple. Just haven't gotten around to taking the pictures yet.

I've been busy trying to chip away at the army when I have the time. Friends and video games have been making that a challenge though, along with the fact that I will be starting a new job in 2 weeks. Suffice to say there have been plenty of distractions lately.

The first up is the big man himself. Not sure why the second picture has the yellow hue in the background. My apologies for that.

Here's my Commander Brightsword

O'vesa

Crisis team with double missile pods

And here are a couple of WIP models

Farsights crisis team w/ 2 flamers and a plasma rifle

And here is one of my Ghostkeel suits in progress.

Hopefully I'll be able to finish the pathfinders and blob of Kroot I've been working on, Ill post those up in the upcoming week if I can get them finished.
Last edited by Longfist14 on Dec 14 2017 12:33, edited 2 times in total.

T113
Kroot'Ui
Kroot'Ui

Re: Longfist's Cadre Painting log. (updated w/ Farsight)

Post#30 » Jan 13 2016 05:50

Love the colour scheme, especially the little 'energy beam' detail between the armour plates. The Kroot's turned out well too, it's different yet just about similar enough to the army for it to fit in.
The Future is uncertain. To stagnate is to die!

Longfist14
Shas'Saal

Re: Longfist's Cadre Painting log. (updated w/ Ghostkeel)

Post#31 » Jan 18 2016 05:27

well I finally got around to finishing a few kroot, even painted up a hound. These guys take a bit linger to paint then the Tau forces. Probably because these were the first ones so I haven't really streamlined it yet. Most of the kroot I have were poorly built eBay purchases so I used various tyranid bits to try and fix them up. What do you guys think?

I recently reacquired a bag of tau I sold my buddy, this model was hanging out at the bottom. He's probably the first or second model I have ever painted. I thought it would be fun to throw up here. Must have been about 10 years ago I did this.

Last edited by Longfist14 on Dec 14 2017 12:34, edited 1 time in total.

paulson games
Shas

Post#32 » Jan 19 2016 12:00

These are looking really good, I love the coldstar commander and the kroot look awesome.
Paulson Games parts are now at www.reddogminis.com

Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#33 » Jan 19 2016 01:28

Love the cannibalised armour on the Kroot! may be stealing that at some stage...

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#34 » Jan 20 2016 04:09

Looking good - The eye of the Kroot (leftmost, going white/black) are obvious and crisp, naturally focusses on it since really brings definition to his face. Top stuff :)

Routa
Shas

Post#35 » Jan 22 2016 02:39

Damn, those Kroots! Really vibrant and lovely colours.
Ive been waiting for some new stuff to pop up for Kroots since I don't really fancy buying any failcast, the plastic ones are awesome though.. Maybe should buy some :P and paint them turquoise...

-Routa

Longfist14
Shas'Saal

Re: Longfist's Cadre Painting log. (updated w/ Ghostkeel)

Post#36 » Dec 14 2017 12:25

Hard to believe it has already been almost a year. I had my first child in the spring so this project log kinda fell to the way side. I had some people asking about my army so I thought I would revisit this log and get it back on track.

At any rate here is my finished ghostkeel. I have been sitting on this for a while, just never got a chance to actually post it up here.

Return to “Project Logs”