Ke'lshan Cadre and other works

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
n1md4
Shas'La
Shas'La

Ke'lshan Cadre and other works

Post#1 » Dec 19 2015 08:52

It's late on a Saturday night 1:55AM (or early Sunday - depending on perspective!) and my mind is playing over the options of how to complete my army. I am not so interested in forming cadres at the moment, but more in to completing what I have.

I see the process as a list of 5 steps, with some subsections to them:

i) Audit: Separate and identify all components in the bits box
ii) Purchase: From the audit identify which parts are required to finish the auction bought models
iii) Build: Simply grab the tools and cut, file, pin, glue together
iv) Repair: Similar to building, but involves sculpting and moulding; filling the gaps - we've all got Forgeworld, right!
v) Paint: Get to work!

I'm thinking aloud with this post really, and I suppose the task of getting an army to a reputable state will vary wildly, but I am interested in how others approach this. I suppose this also varies greatly on the condition of your miniatures too, but as hinted at previously, most of mine and auction bought, and although I usually get unpainted or under coated only, invariably there is the odd missing part, dog-bitten wing tip, or the absolute bargain that you didn't resist, but will require a master class in sculpting to return the model to former glory - yeah, I have at least one of those!

There are my loud thoughts, comment if you feel the unction to .... or maybe I just need more sleep ;)
Last edited by n1md4 on May 27 2016 10:26, edited 4 times in total.

KuroRyu
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: How to build and paint your army?

Post#2 » Dec 19 2015 10:19

My main point of advice would be to look through the codex and think about a theme for your army and what kinds of units you want to include. As someone who started out picking up models i thought were cool and equipping them with whatever looked badass i'm now learning the mistake i made in not having a coherent army with the models i actually want to field after having read up on the rules.

My space wolves are a prime example of this, i've got a good 50 or so space marines including a dozen terminators a couple of bikes and a dreadnought. It's a terrible army that never wins, I love my space wolves and play them anyway with the hope that someday funds will allow me to add the things that will make my space wolf collection awesome. However I could have taken the money that went on more terminators or that extra squad of grey hunters and instead spent it on some metal boxes to get my existing marines to where they want to be, or some thunderwolf cavalry to synergise with my bikes.

Stranger In T'aun
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Dec 20 2015 11:20

As a veteran of many, uh, "in progress" attempts to build and paint armies, going back to the beginning of 4th edition, this time around I'm trying to avoid the trap of too many unpainted models on hand.

Relating it to your army steps, I don't have a bitz box of Tau stuff, so step 1 is moot. However, I will be painting what I have before purchasing more. I find a legion of unpainted models to be completely overwhelming and I basically never start. Will it work? Time will tell.

Another thing I'm doing this time around that so far seems to be working is an escalation "campaign" with a friend, which I think could work for you too. We are starting very modestly - a Kill Team (200). From there, Combat Patrol (400). Then we're into normal FOC armies at 750, 1000, 1500, 1850, and ultimately 1999+1. We have to build and paint to tabletop standard, and actually play at least one game at each level before moving on.

Selecting units at each points level has been pretty exciting and has kept me motivated to keep the momentum up on my KT, with the understanding that we are both parents who work long hours, so progress is just slow.

n1md4
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#4 » Dec 20 2015 02:21

KuroRyu wrote:My main point of advice would be to look through the codex and think about a theme for your army and what kinds of units you want to include. As someone who started out picking up models i thought were cool and equipping them with whatever looked badass i'm now learning the mistake i made in not having a coherent army with the models i actually want to field after having read up on the rules.

Stranger In T'aun wrote:Another thing I'm doing this time around that so far seems to be working is an escalation "campaign" with a friend, which I think could work for you too. We are starting very modestly - a Kill Team (200). From there, Combat Patrol (400). Then we're into normal FOC armies at 750, 1000, 1500, 1850, and ultimately 1999+1. We have to build and paint to tabletop standard, and actually play at least one game at each level before moving on.

Both will be added to the list, I like the idea of only playing what you paint, that has something organic and personal about it. That's given some inspiration .. and this evenings purchases will be the last! ;)

n1md4
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#5 » Dec 22 2015 07:50

Well, that's step 1 done :D

n1md4
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#6 » Dec 22 2015 01:12

Then I thought making this was a good idea:

Stranger In T'aun
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Dec 22 2015 04:02

Wow! Being that organized sure *looks like* you should be equipped for success. I'm kinda jealous now.

n1md4
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#8 » Jan 13 2016 09:05

I'd actually like to build those paint trays each out of a block of wood; another project for the list. Until then, I have some models I'm working on fixing up.

These are all models I've purchased incredibly cheaply, as can be seen from the condition.

Here is a model that was in reasonable condition, but needed the model lines trimmed, sprue posts correctly removed, and (later) gaps filled with putty, and replace the missing parts.

Next up, a model that was covered in thick paint, and badly modelled. I have begun the stripping process (with Dettol), and will next tidy up, as in the previous example.

The next model requires more than your average repair, this will require some sculpting. I began thinking that plastic cement glue could be used to mould the piece back together, and after only 1 round of modelling, I am already impressed with how it's progressed. Notice the nose of the machine is now nearly normal, without any crafting of than the glue.

Once the basic shapes are back I'll look to bring the piece back together again with metal rods, perhaps some plastic card or gauze to pack out the gaps, and then plenty of putty and sculpting.

This one actually excites me the most.

Lastly, there is the Barracuda. This was purchased in 2 parts, first the main body, and then after a (very) long time patiently waiting for the right parts, an auction turned out with all the parts but no body ... score! Needless to say I paid significantly less than RRP for this model.

The pointy end of this deal is I need to model the wing tips; I have already finished a front fin - and I'm happy with the result.

n1md4
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#9 » Jan 18 2016 12:56

Can this thread be moved the Project Log, I feel it will go that way. I've already changed the subject title. Thanks.

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Re: Unamed Sept project log

Post#10 » Jan 18 2016 01:11

No problem, done. ;)

I recently scored a smashed Devilfish, so certainly interested in what you'll be getting up to with you seriously mauled version :)

n1md4
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#11 » Jan 23 2016 09:21

Tael wrote:certainly interested in what you'll be getting up to with you seriously mauled version :)

Run of the mill repair job; attempting to make it look like new.

Here, I've made some progress. It's slow going, but a labour of love :)

Thrusters

I cut out all the jagged bits, filled them with putty, then cut and filed down. I've actually filed it more since these pictures, it's getting close to an acceptable standard.

Body

After some thought I jury-rigged these plastic sprue parts as scaffolding to join the halves together, reinforcing with more putty. These are surprisingly solid!

Front

This bit I've explained previously, I used glue to melt the bits together, and then as can be seen below putty to fill-in. The nose is very close to done, the cockpit ... well, less so :)

Join

With the sprue-scaffolding in place, attaching the halves was surprisingly simple - it just worked! Since these photos I've since cut more sprue chunks and have filled the larger gaps. Next up will be, yes, more putty :D

I hope this thread is at least entertaining, and the photos not too repetitive; I have around 5 times the pictures, but tried to pick the best ;)

Iasius
Shas

Post#12 » Jan 25 2016 02:45

Thats some serious rebuild work man! Very interested to see how this goes.... Looking forward to the 'Milliput' ;)

redtide
Shas

Post#13 » Feb 01 2016 04:37

It looked to me like that Devilfish is for sure destined as terrain, I'm impressed with your restoration skills!
I also like the cardboard paint rack you made, I think I'll have to make one for myself! -Great content here =)

n1md4
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#14 » Feb 01 2016 07:47

Thanks for the encouraging comments. I'm really enjoying the work, the goal is clear, and the work requires patience ... very relaxing :nice:

I have this evenings progress below. I also forgot to take pictures of the sprue fill-in bits, but you can imagine what it looked like ..

Now it needs leaving to dry.
Last edited by n1md4 on Feb 02 2016 04:42, edited 1 time in total.

redtide
Shas

Post#15 » Feb 02 2016 04:04

*Claps* Looking really good now! :biggrin: I just realized that this is a Hammerhead, do you have the bits for it or will you be scratchbuilding the missing parts?

n1md4
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#16 » Feb 04 2016 06:35

I have most of the other parts actually, only missing the turret lid and rear door. I couldn't scratch build them though, that's a whole new level - especially as I'd want them to be as identical as possible, to the originals... we'll see.

It was getting difficult to see the detail, so I gave these tanks a light under-coat. This is the mauled (obviously) and previously black tanks.

Getting there .. kinda. I have a feeling the real time-sink will be smoothing out all the details.

Zigmunth
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#17 » Feb 04 2016 06:42

BATTLE DAMAGE!!! :D

Don't waste your time.

redtide
Shas

Post#18 » Feb 09 2016 01:59

^Ditto man, I too think the battle damage adds character to a model. If anything, I would just clean up the driver's vision port in the front. Looks great overall!

Return to “Project Logs”