Ke'lshan Cadre and other works

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
n1md4
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Ke'lshan Cadre

Post#19 » May 29 2016 05:54

I could never just leave it as battle-damage, as I have way too much fun - and satisfaction - repairing damage to resemble former glory.

I've had plenty of hobby time since my last post, BUT! I got so caught up in the meta, and wanting things just-so. It marries my previous comment though, and I couldn't actually do my hobby any other way - such is the way for each of us :)

Sooo ... I don't have a full post in mind, but I'll start and see where it takes me ...

I began this thread with the odd picture of the Barracuda and tank repairs. Since those pictures there's been very little progress made with those worth posting ... exciting so far, isn't it :P

I had an issue, as you can tell from the first post, with knowing where to start and what to complete first. I resolved this by stealing another members spreadsheet of their cadre, showing how progress could be made to form a playable army - as that is actually my ultimate goal. So, here is mine:

This list is more about using models to fill cadre spaces, it's not necessarily efficient on the table-top, but gives me a nice foundation to work on.

The colour-scheme took me ages too, I spent a lot of time on bolter and chainsaw - I have just surprised myself, finding a saved copy of the picture. Here:

I completed some tester models, and continued to work towards finishing that first milestone goal of 18 firewarriors. That was 3 months ago ...

I got distracted with these:

Transferring paint from pots to droppers
    Using a wet palette
    50 Tiny Magnets 3x2x1 mm N52
    50 Tiny Magnets 3x1 mm N52
    Tiny magnets 2x1 mm N52
    Tau tank warhammer (Skyray)
    Warhammer 40k Tau Alien Mercenaries
    Tau Empire Codex Latest Edition
    Tau riptide + 10 fire warriors

I tried to stay away from eBay, but it's impossible for me, the prices are sometimes just too good!

Along with the extra models, tools, and techniques I also came up with a tiny amount of fluff - built mostly from dice tables http://advancedtautactica.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=24088. From that I got this:

The Sept was created during the 3rd Sphere of Expansion, and it's home-world is predominantly urban.

The Commander's preferred tactical philosophy is Mont’ka or the Killing Blow, where the enemy is studied for weakness before attacking.

The cadre prefers mobile units for rapid strikes and creating confusion, and their primary function adapts and changes according to commanders whim.

The Ethereal Caste presence and adherence to Greater Good is normal.

There is a Xenophobic lack of aliens in the Cadre's auxiliaries, and there are no majority or mix of several species that it is comprised of. The Cadre's preferred enemy is Imperial Guard.

An Ethereal Caste is the leader of the Cadre, who exhibits a calm and stoic demeanor.

It was the Sept golden/yellow from the colour scheme and the generated "xenophobic" nature, that actually led to the Sept choosing themselves. Little did I know at the time, that the blue gray scheme could have folk believe I'd lifted it from the Codex! I'm sure there are subconscious influences .... at which point I have just noticed the colour of this forum! :P Therefore, it felt only natural that I would have a Ke'lshan army; hence the topic title change too.

Along with the chosen colour scheme, and Sept, I want each model to have it's own character - in the same way it "chose itself" in the first place, some models will likely survive more than others, so I wanted them to have names; hence another post of mine http://www.advancedtautactica.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=24600.

So far I have these:

sho’kara’tan
    be’sho’ghal
    yr’ka
    any’shas’tel
    sun’da’aun
    da’li’tan
    m’dal’bor’ra
    re’ka
    noh’tor’kan

tor’na’be
    var’ike
    la’shas’ta
    ma’che
    che’che’t’au
    hui’st’on

Which are loosely based from various UK town and city names; with a North East biased ;)

Lastly, despite everything else I've done, I have a single squad picture - from the first intro game I've played with my Tau! :D

As you can see, even after all this time and effort, I've not even finished one squad! But I'm more than happy with the outcome. The models armour and undergarment are done, and some have skin; and not the rich blue you can see in the pictures. Albeit, they still need hoofs, details, and bases.

Hopefully this is enjoyable, and not too much of a ramble!
This is a sad day for the nobel profession of otter milking -- Knives

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: Ke'lshan Cadre and other works

Post#20 » May 30 2016 07:10

:) Based on them town names we must live very near to each other... It gave me great pleasure translating that list and finding my home town on it.
I really like the colour scheme and the Striker team looks nice and crisp I can't wait to see them finished and based.

Tearphoenix
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#21 » May 30 2016 11:19

Great looking scheme!

I am really impressed with the work you put into that devilfish. The results really show.

n1md4
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#22 » May 31 2016 10:27

Shas'O Darklighter, that's awesome. Translating the name from Tau meanings doesn't always make sense; but I can fluff that away with some names being older lore, etc.

Thanks for the responses :) Sometimes I can see only flaws in my hobby, having spent too much time staring at the same things, so really nice to get positive feedback (though constructive negative is also fine).

I'm decorating the house at the moment, so not much time for hobby right now - hopefully will get some progress before the end of next week though.

n1md4
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: How to build and paint your army?

Post#23 » Aug 31 2017 05:40

Stranger In T'aun wrote:Relating it to your army steps, I don't have a bitz box of Tau stuff, so step 1 is moot. However, I will be painting what I have before purchasing more. I find a legion of unpainted models to be completely overwhelming and I basically never start. Will it work? Time will tell.

In the beginning I asked for advice about painting my army, I got some good suggestions, and I completely ignored them! I gathered a huge amount of models - and mostly 2nd hand requiring timely re-work - in the end I felt entirely overwhelmed. A year past, and I was actually contemplating selling the army. In the end I decided to restart my collection; that is all my models remaining tucked away as they were, and just remove a few models or teams at a time, and complete them, before pulling any more out from storage. It's working so far.

The team markings are missing, and there is some rifle lens work I would like to try. The rifle barrels are drilled. The base is flocked with natural sieved gravel, and each has tailored tufts of grass. I'm happy with the results, and love the sea of bright green lens.

I'm now working on a 3 member Stealth Team. I'm planning to post once a fortnight either with completed or in progress miniatures.

StealthKnightSteg
Shas'Saal

Post#24 » Sep 01 2017 02:33

Looks great, keep going, yuo can do it! :)

Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#25 » Sep 01 2017 03:41

I see what you mean about the lenses - they really pop! The attention to detail on the bases looks really good too.

Keep up the good work I'll be checking back around the 14th :P

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#26 » Sep 01 2017 10:00

Your repair work is seriously impressive, and if you can paint it as well as you have painted these Fire Warriors I don't think you'll have any trouble making a model pretty much indistinguishable from a regular Tau tank chassis. I'm looking forward to your updates as well.

n1md4
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#27 » Sep 14 2017 03:34

Thanks for the comments.

Didn't quite make the grade, still have a bunch of highlights, details, and markings to paint --hence the comical picture today. It gets the black-drop close-up when the group is finished :D

n1md4
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#28 » Sep 28 2017 07:25

I'd finished the Stealth Team, but wasn't happy with the results. The lenses looked really flat, and the undercoat must be rough because although the model looks fine inhand, when pictured the surfaces looks textured, like sand paper.

I'm pretty annoyed with myself really; keep swapping between wanting to strip them and start again, or just count them as finished and move on. Just spent so much time to not get rewarded with models I'm happy with.

n1md4
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#29 » Oct 03 2017 03:34

n1md4 wrote:count them as finished and move on.

This.

Some finishing touches, but want to keep the momentum going, else I lose again.

Zoom in and you can see the rough texture :( No where near as bad as In the original HD picture, it looks like the paint is flaking off. Moral of the story, don't zoom in!

Onward for the greater good! :fear:

Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#30 » Oct 03 2017 12:28

They look good in the picture! Then again I do like pictures with XV15s in... :)

Looking forward to more

n1md4
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#31 » Oct 12 2017 05:30

Cheers, Ironsky, appreciate it. Yeah, XV15s have a really slick look; far more agile than their successor.

Been working hard, finally finishing up 5th edition Marines and Orks (background models), and building a modular 8x4' gaming table. Photos when they're done ... still can't get 4 Pathfinders done in 2 weeks though! :) Nearly there, just highlighting and details.

Return to “Project Logs”