A'kish Vior'la Cadre

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Bloodknife92
Shas'La

Re: A'kish Research Defence Initiative (Project Log)

Post#91 » Mar 17 2017 03:35

Panzer wrote:It's also incrediby handy for easy&quick cropping of images. ;)

That's when I've always resorted to MSpaint haha.
The days of goodly English is went

Bloodknife92
Shas'La

Post#92 » Mar 20 2017 08:46

I want some opinions! How do you guys feel about the 2 antennae on the Riptide? I love it, but I'd love to know how everyone else feels about it. I did it because the one antenna feels silly to me (same for the broadside).

Kakapo42
Shas'Vre

Post#93 » Mar 21 2017 01:41

I can't believe that after having looked at pictures of them since they were first released, I have only just now noticed that the default Riptide and Broadside models only have one helmet antenna.

I largely agree with you about the conversion - it definitely makes the helmet look a lot more balanced. In fact I may just have to steal the idea for when I get my own Riptide and Broadsides...
A Shas and a Kor walk into a bar...
Naked Metal

Bloodknife92
Shas'La

Post#94 » Mar 21 2017 01:46

You're welcome I guess :D I noticed it when I first saw them after returning to the hobby last year, and thought it looked silly and off. Nevertheless, someone at GW thought it looked good, but that doesn't bother me because the beauty of warhammer is the possibilities!

Bloodknife92
Shas'La

Post#95 » Mar 21 2017 05:43

I have a new concept! I never truly liked the new Broadside battlesuits. I was always fond of the old ones, but given all the model updates the Tau have had, the old ones are not only hard to find now, but also very outdated. This didn't stop me though, I have an idea! I aim to merge the new Broadside with the old one by using the new Crisis kit and the new Iridium Armour pieces with the new Broadside kit.

I give you the XV88 M2!
Please be aware that this is just a concept, and certainly not a final product. The final result will have a customised Rail/Missile assembly for primary weapons, and will be fully decked out in Iridium Armour, and possibly some shoulderpads too for extra emphasis. I'm also trying to think of a way to reinforce the feet a bit to look more Broadside-esque, but without making them look silly.

Here's a picture of what I would do to the Rail assembly to streamline it a bit. I haven't yet considered what I would do for the Missile assembly.
For rules reasons, I would also throw these customised Broadside models on the bases provided with the Broadsides, and not the ones for the Crisis suits.

Bloodknife92
Shas'La

Post#96 » Mar 21 2017 07:10

Here are some more concept images on a different model.

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#97 » Mar 21 2017 07:16

I will never understand why people dislike the new Broadside. It's one of the most awesome Tau models imo....except for the Missile Gloves. :D
Last edited by Panzer on Mar 21 2017 11:12, edited 1 time in total.

Bloodknife92
Shas'La

Post#98 » Mar 21 2017 07:21

Oh they're pretty great looking models, but its more than evident that GW saw some peoples' custom Broadside models and thought "Let's make some money off this idea". It's a cool model, but it doesn't say "Tau" to me like the rest do :) That's just my opinion though.

Aphotic
Shas'Saal

Post#99 » Mar 21 2017 07:47

That's a lot of firepower he's toting around!

Bloodknife92
Shas'La

Post#100 » Mar 21 2017 08:21

I agree, it looks huge! I would definitely have to find a way to scale it all down a bit to look a bit more sensible :D

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#101 » Mar 21 2017 11:13

Bloodknife92 wrote:Oh they're pretty great looking models, but its more than evident that GW saw some peoples' custom Broadside models and thought "Let's make some money off this idea". It's a cool model, but it doesn't say "Tau" to me like the rest do :) That's just my opinion though.

I don't see the problem. :D

Tael
Fio'O

Post#102 » Mar 22 2017 07:55

Indeed sir - these new images just pop - lovely lovely :)

Bloodknife92
Shas'La

Post#103 » Mar 26 2017 05:21

OOPS! I made a mistake when I prepared the main weapon arm of my Riptide! I assembled and magnetised the Heavy Burst Cannon yesterday, and when attempting to add it to the model, I discovered that it was too long and the torso would not properly connect to the hip because the Heavy Burst Cannon stopped it by touching the base, so I had to do an emergency repair job. I softly removed the arm at the elbow, and re-glued it for a slightly more powerful look, but also so I can attach the Heavy Burst Cannon without any issues (phew!).

Notice how the front arm is angled slightly more horizontally. That's all the change was, but I also felt an update was necessary to let readers know that I'm still at it and not getting lazy again :D

Tael
Fio'O

Post#104 » Mar 29 2017 02:50

Really is a great pose - subtle changes tend to make all the difference. :)

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre

Post#105 » Apr 06 2017 12:54

That Riptide is so clean, and has such a dynamic pose. Very well done.

Bloodknife92
Shas'La

Post#106 » Apr 13 2017 04:04

Thanks for the compliments guys :D

I've been super busy lately. My wife and I recently moved house, so my Tau had to be put on hold. Fortunately now though, we moved to a place that is more beneficial to my hobby. We now have two foldable outside tables on whcmich to game, and our little girl isn't detrimented because she can play in the yard while we play/talk. Our home is also a highset duplex, and our neighbours are long friends of mine, one of whom plays Wh40k, so I can hopefully get some more action in!

Following settling in, I've been able to focus on my scenery, as I really want to have some suitable scenery to play on. Not only have I painted up my MDF wokd boards, but I've thrown some really really nice (if I do say so myself) hills together, among other things!

This are some pics of what I have so far. I've updated the buildings recently with some lite white drybrushing to give them a bit of a concrety effect, but everything else is up to date. The piece with the three mineral tanks is made of some yogurt tubs, some pipes and connections i got from my local hardware store, and some pieces of foam. To my advantage, the black spray ate away at the foam, giving it a more natural barrier look. I plan to get some grey paint and paint them up, as well as the tanks, but for now I'll settle with what I have.
The hills are just foam and toothpicks (not visible, used for strengthening the build). The boards have had sand glued onto them, then everyrhing which is painted was base coated with a spray of black, then brushed with brown, and drybrushed with a mix of the same brown, and white mixed together. I ran up my budget at the hardware store a bit too much, so I couldn't spend much on paints.

As can be seen in the pictures, I also added some grass, moss and rocks to the hills. I love it, I think they look awesome :D

Tael
Fio'O

Post#107 » Apr 13 2017 04:18

I have a soft spot for tiered hills. They're such a perfect abstraction. I always have difficulty admiring pseudo-real smooth rounded hills these days - first thought - Yeah right, no figure is going stand upright on that. haha.

Massive hold over from those hills in the early White Dwarf battle reports.

Congrats on the move, know that craziness all to well. Serious bonus with good friends and gaming buddy being a neighbour!

Bloodknife92
Shas'La

Post#108 » Apr 13 2017 04:30

Tael wrote:I have a soft spot for tiered hills. They're such a perfect abstraction. I always have difficulty admiring pseudo-real smooth rounded hills these days - first thought - Yeah right, no figure is going stand upright on that. haha.

Massive hold over from those hills in the early White Dwarf battle reports.

Congrats on the move, know that craziness all to well. Serious bonus with good friends and gaming buddy being a neighbour!

Yeah I couldn't agree more! He's a great mate and he has a son not a little older than my daughter, so they love to play together too.

I too do not like the "realistic" terrain I keep seeing these days. I mean, sure, it looks absolutely fantastic, but the more realistic you go, the less space you have to use in a game. Sometimes I think people forget that this is still a game. That being said, rhe hobby is whatever people want it to be, and that's the beauty of it!

Return to “Project Logs”