A'kish Vior'la Cadre

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Ingold
Shas'Saal

Re: Commander Icewing and his forces

Post#19 » Feb 19 2016 04:46

I'm really liking your color scheme on your commander. Very dynamic pose as well. Do you have any idea how you gonna equip your crisis Suits?

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#20 » Feb 19 2016 07:06

Ingold wrote:I'm really liking your color scheme on your commander. Very dynamic pose as well. Do you have any idea how you gonna equip your crisis Suits?

In my army list, I've gone with the same loadout. A Cyclic Ion Blaster and Plasma Rifle each, and I even managed to chase down some Cyclic Ion Blasters from the Commander kit, so that I may properly represent their weapons. I'm very particular about that. If my army isn't Wysiwyg then I'm not happy with it :P
The days of goodly English is went
Ziss old dog still has a few tricks!

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#21 » Feb 21 2016 07:04

Get excited guys! I've been working on some better ways to do certain things with my new Crisis suits. I'll upload some images tomorrow, and hopefully I can churn out some serious progress this week! :D

I apologise in advance if anyone is expecting any conversions or altercations to the figures. I personally really like to keep things as genuine and close to the original design as I can, within creative reason. So no Stormsurges with arms or 'Crisis' drones here, just vanilla GW figures with lots of love, time, thought, effort and growth as a hobbyist. And to be honest, sometimes I feel like a bit of an outlaw not doing custom things to my figures, as that's such a regular thing among Tau hobbyists. I don't even want to make custom marker drones! Instead I'm going to buy the proper marker drone attachments for a super high price (getting those things posted to Australia costs a lot) for the level of genuinity that I want. But that's just me, and the way I like to play :)

Anyway, stay tuned for updates!

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Crisis progress

Post#22 » Feb 21 2016 08:05

I've been hard at work designing how my Crisis suits will look when I glue them together, and so I've designed their bases and reviewed my method of magnetisation. In the past, I've used: a single 3mm magnet on the arm and a single 3mm magnet on the weapon and; dual 2mm magnets side by side on both the arm and the gun, and I didn't like either methods, so I've come up with what may be my favourite method of magnetisation that not only adds stability to the join, but also allows me to keep an amount of detail on the model without interrupting it with huge round magnets.

The method I devised is to only cut half of the mounting prism off of the weapon, and add a magnet to where the removed half would have been. As a result, the magnet holds the weapon on and what is left of the mounting prism holds the weapon facing in the right direction (because I'm particular about that). On top of all that, I only added magnets to one side of each gun (as seen in the below image) so as to keep some of the detail that the mounting prism adds.

As for the bases, I got a little more creative with the larger grit than I did with my previous figure. The feet have been pinned (but not glued) to add extra stability to the figures as well.

Next step, base coat!

Ingold
Shas'Saal

Post#23 » Feb 22 2016 10:08

Bloodknife92 wrote:Get excited guys! I've been working on some better ways to do certain things with my new Crisis suits. I'll upload some images tomorrow, and hopefully I can churn out some serious progress this week! :D

I apologise in advance if anyone is expecting any conversions or altercations to the figures. I personally really like to keep things as genuine and close to the original design as I can, within creative reason. So no Stormsurges with arms or 'Crisis' drones here, just vanilla GW figures with lots of love, time, thought, effort and growth as a hobbyist. And to be honest, sometimes I feel like a bit of an outlaw not doing custom things to my figures, as that's such a regular thing among Tau hobbyists. I don't even want to make custom marker drones! Instead I'm going to buy the proper marker drone attachments for a super high price (getting those things posted to Australia costs a lot) for the level of genuinity that I want. But that's just me, and the way I like to play :)

Anyway, stay tuned for updates!

No Need to apologise! For my Tau Army I want to stay as close to original GW designs as well. The main reason is that I did the opposite with my AM Army. I used bits from GW and many other miniature online stores. And with the GW rule that of you want to game in store, your Army has to be 100% models, I cant game in store. And because I want to game more in 2016, I need an Army that I can use. And of course, I like Tau!

To be on topic, I hope to see your Crisis Suits soon! I havent seen the ion guns on Suits before, so really want to know how that turns out.

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#24 » Feb 22 2016 05:38

My closest GW store is something like 500 Kilometres away lol, so all my gaming is done at my local club, who aren't as anal about those kinds of things XD.

And as for the Ions on the suits, I too have yet to see them :D and am very excited. Hopefully I can smash out one crisis per day, although I need to strip the base coat off of one, as a lot of sections came up very rough and powdery, and I think the reason for this has something to do with the fact that when I was letting the pins set with the super glue I put on them on the base, I had put all of that suit's components into my bits box along with the drying (what I thought was fully dried) base, and I ended up with white residue all over the components. In response to this, my wife will be picking up some dettol for me today(I can't get 'super clean') in Australia in my town) and I'll be stripping that figure down, cleaning it and re base coating it. While I wait, I'll be working on the second and third suits. I was very disappointed with the quality of the coat on the first suit, but I was happy to go through with it anyway. It was my wife that convinced me to strip the model back and try again, asserting that I won't be happy with the final result, and I had to agree with her because I knew it was true.

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#25 » Feb 23 2016 06:18

Unfortunately I was unable to complete the first Crisis suit today, however I did get a satisfying amount of progress in!
I'm REALLY happy with the lenses! Any closer a shot and the blend wouldn't look so good, but when they're on the table no one gets within 6 inches of viewing distance anyway :P The paint job isn't up to my old standard which was GW quality, but I gave up on that and grew happy with the paint job I've produced, because as I said, they'll still look fantastic on the table! And on top of that, this figure's paint work is better quality than my Commander's, so I'm gladly noticing an improvement! And besides, this is technically my third figure anyway :P

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#26 » Feb 24 2016 06:46

I finished the first Crisis battlesuit today! I spent a lot of time procrastinating playing Dawn of War 2 Retribution, moreso than I should have, so I was unable to finish the weapons, but I am half way through painting them.
On the paint stripping front, I've completed one trial of paint stripping with an old gun drone. The trial worked, but not as effectively as I wanted, so I've put a second gun drone in for a bath in the Dettol for a longer amount of time to hopefully get more paint off. The reason I opted for trials over immediate use is becuase dispite having read dozens of discussions and tutorials, I still wanted to try it for myself so that I achieved the perfect results.

Anyway, enjoy!

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#27 » Feb 24 2016 09:18

Yeah it's always best to do your own experiments when stripping and prepping your models as some times it only takes a little deviation to get a very different result. I use fairy power spray these days as it's just a faster method with less smell. I just spray the model leave it a few minuets then scrub with a tooth brush and repeat until clean. For tough spots just leave to soak a little longer.

n1md4
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#28 » Feb 24 2016 10:05

Bloodknife92 wrote:On the paint stripping front, I've completed one trial of paint stripping with an old gun drone. The trial worked, but not as effectively as I wanted, so I've put a second gun drone in for a bath in the Dettol for a longer amount of time to hopefully get more paint off. The reason I opted for trials over immediate use is becuase dispite having read dozens of discussions and tutorials, I still wanted to try it for myself so that I achieved the perfect results.

I've recently stripped several tanks, and troops, etc, with Dettol. It does work well, but does require encouragement; i.e. put it in the Dettol and forget about it, for a couple of days, then scrub in the Dettol with a cheap tooth-brush, and return to more soaking. Essentially repeating these steps over and over. Only ever take it away from the Dettol to rinse when the paint is 100% (or near as you'd like) removed, else when scrubbed with water the remaining paint turns to gloop - interestingly it remains in-tact until the scrubing. If you get gloop, not the end of the world, just return to the Dettol, and repeat the soak and scrub. Additionally, I've purchased Tesco's 47p all-purpose cleaner, to rinse in after the Dettol, this seemed to be more forgiving than the water

I left a Devilfish in a tub for 1 week, with 2 scrubs, after which the model was 99% good. I'm working on presenting my army, but it's such a slooooow process, that it wouldn't feel like I'm actually showing anything :)

Lastly, the Dettol in the UK may not be the same in AU, and the climate may make a difference - I leave mine in the garden, due to the smell. It's all trial-and-error, which sounds like what you're doing anyway, just sharing my experience.
This is a sad day for the nobel profession of otter milking -- Knives
Onmyou's Motivation Service

Vay
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#29 » Feb 24 2016 10:50

Very nice clean Tau look. Do you plan on avoiding camo and staying clean solid? Like star ship boarded Tau. Good color choice as well, hard to do green/red and not get Christmas.
Shas'O Kais Vay Shone’nan

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#30 » Feb 24 2016 08:14

Shas'O Darklighter wrote:Yeah it's always best to do your own experiments when stripping and prepping your models as some times it only takes a little deviation to get a very different result. I use fairy power spray these days as it's just a faster method with less smell. I just spray the model leave it a few minuets then scrub with a tooth brush and repeat until clean. For tough spots just leave to soak a little longer.

I heard about the Fairy Power, but hadn't heard enough about it compared to Dettol or Super Clean to sway me toward using it. That being said, I didn't hear anything bad about it, if I recall correctly.

n1md4 wrote:
Bloodknife92 wrote:On the paint stripping front, I've completed one trial of paint stripping with an old gun drone. The trial worked, but not as effectively as I wanted, so I've put a second gun drone in for a bath in the Dettol for a longer amount of time to hopefully get more paint off. The reason I opted for trials over immediate use is becuase dispite having read dozens of discussions and tutorials, I still wanted to try it for myself so that I achieved the perfect results.

I've recently stripped several tanks, and troops, etc, with Dettol. It does work well, but does require encouragement; i.e. put it in the Dettol and forget about it, for a couple of days, then scrub in the Dettol with a cheap tooth-brush, and return to more soaking. Essentially repeating these steps over and over. Only ever take it away from the Dettol to rinse when the paint is 100% (or near as you'd like) removed, else when scrubbed with water the remaining paint turns to gloop - interestingly it remains in-tact until the scrubing. If you get gloop, not the end of the world, just return to the Dettol, and repeat the soak and scrub. Additionally, I've purchased Tesco's 47p all-purpose cleaner, to rinse in after the Dettol, this seemed to be more forgiving than the water

I left a Devilfish in a tub for 1 week, with 2 scrubs, after which the model was 99% good. I'm working on presenting my army, but it's such a slooooow process, that it wouldn't feel like I'm actually showing anything :)

Lastly, the Dettol in the UK may not be the same in AU, and the climate may make a difference - I leave mine in the garden, due to the smell. It's all trial-and-error, which sounds like what you're doing anyway, just sharing my experience.

Yeah my first trial with the gun drone was 24 hours. My current trial I might extend to 72 hours (3 days) and see how it goes, and if I feel the need to do another trial (I have a lot of old drones :P) I'll try a week with brushing every few days inbetween.

I put my Dettol in a cup that I never plan on using again, with the gun drone, and just put a container lid on top of it to stop the smell from escaping too much. I live in the middle unit of a 3 unit complex, so leaving it outside may stink out the neighbors, and I'd prefer not to get any complaints unfortunately. Still, we'll see how this trial goes.

Vay wrote:Very nice clean Tau look. Do you plan on avoiding camo and staying clean solid? Like star ship boarded Tau. Good color choice as well, hard to do green/red and not get Christmas.

Dispite the Codex rambling on about how the Tau choose their colours based on their terrain and such to help them blend in with their surroundings, I went for a different approach.
I chose these greens and the red because they are the original Vior'la scheme, and I really liked the way the greens went together with a nice contrast from how little red was included. The bases, I chose to do brown with blue-ish rocks because I wanted a nice muddy colour to help the greens stand out, and the blue-ish rocks break the monotony of just a straight brown with grass. I also chose to use real stones instead of painting some fake ones, to really harness the random colours and natural colours that come on real stones. Each stone was scrubbed with a toothbrush under running water to get any excess dirt and such off before gluing to the base. As for a fluff reason for why my Tau are green on a muddy planet-moon, they're part of a local defense force, protecting a very important and secret (not top secret) research facility based on the planet-moon of A'kish, which orbits the gas giant Tara'lor in the Vior'la system. The base's buildings all sport very vibrant greens so that when potential enemies try to get satellite images of the planet's surface to locate Tau bases, the Tau bases blend in with the large flora on the planet and as a result become difficult to find while the Tau quickly respond to the orbital threat.

Tl;dr I chose all of the colours to achieve some damn good looking figures, regardless of what the Codex says about colour choice.

When I start work on my gaming tabletop, I'll be doing a very muddy dirty surface with patches of grass all over it as well as some hills, some mesa style hills and a good few gigantic trees (about as big as a stormsurge) to properly represent the flora that covers the planet-moon's surface. I've already got some great ideas for some of the panels (6x 2ftx2ft panels) to give some interesting scenarios to battles done on the table, but also to add some lore to the planet-moon as well. I'll be doing a large damaged Tau landing surface on one panel which may take up about 3/4 or 2/3 of the panel. I'll also be doing a swamp-like panel, an Ork camp/base to add some buildings to the table as well as show the main threat the Tau deal with on the planet-moon, and the last panel I have planned is a crashed Tiger Shark, which will be loads of fun to plan and prepare, but also very expensive :D

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Old Vior'la progress (first Crisis finished)

Post#31 » Feb 25 2016 09:27

FINALLY! Finished the weapons for the first crisis suit. Although they are small, I do use ten different paints on them which takes ages because there's a lot of opening pots, closing pots, watering down paints and patience involved. But finally, here is the finished battlesuit with his newly magnetised weapons!
I won't be starting on the second of the squad until next week, but I hope to figure out a pose that I'm happy with over the weekend. And HOPEFULLY by the time he is finished, the third one (Originally first one) SHOULD be ready to get started! Then, that's my 500 point force finished, and I'll be starting on a tabletop made up of 6 2ft square panels! i'm super excited to jump right into it!

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: A'kish Research Defence Initiative (Army Log)

Post#32 » Mar 29 2016 09:15

It's been too long since I hadded anything to this thread!
I've been busy what with life, and registering for university to study nursing, among other distractions. That all being said, I still have made some progress with my Crisis team :) here's a low res image, I'll work on getting a better one when I return home next week.
I did opt for the red head on what looks like a Shas'vre, however he won't be assuming the role of Shas'vre in any of my planned armies. Still, it helps to at least have one just incase I should need one at any point in the future, who knows!
I still have the Jet Pack of the last Crisis left, as well as two of each Cyclic Ion Blaster and Plasma Rifle. I plan to get them done tomorrow, but we'll see where time takes me; I have a lot of medical reading to do :(

After reading up on another project log here on ATT, I've been inspired to add some fluff to my army as it grows, as who doesn't love fluff? And I feel the need to add some extra fluff to my army anyway as I can't stand not having some story behind my figures.

A'kish R'das'dorr
The A'kish Research Defence Initiative

A'kish R'das'dorr (which translates literally to "The A'kish Research Defence Initiative") is a small elite defence force tasked with one role. Defending the secret and extremely important research facilities on the planet moon of A'kish.

A'kish is a small planetoid-moon in orbit of a huge gas giant on the outskirts of the Vior'la binary star system called Tarra'lor. Tarra'lor, while exhibiting a rather impressive orbit radius of the two stars, is a super large gas giant with many valuable and some even undiscovered chemicals within its many hundreds of layers of gasses. Unfortunately for anyone in search of these gaseous chemicals, Tarra'lor produces an insane amount of heat for a gas planet on a largely distant orbit of its star(s), making harvesting or mining almost impossible for anyone daring enough to try.. As a result, it provides A'kish with the right amount of heat for the Tau to maintain research facilities, and is unattractive enough for these facilities to remain well hidden.

While A'kish's surface is mostly made up of a muddy dirt, so much so that the oceans are all a dirty brown colour, the Tau opted to don a rather light green colour on all of their local forces and buildings on A'kish, accompanied by a secondary darker green, and finally with a red sept colour to signify being a part of the Vior'la Fire Caste. The reason they chose green is to mimic the colours of the leaves and flowers at the tops of the huge trees clustered all around the continents of A'kish. These lumbering giants, standing many hundreds of metres tall, have trunks as thick as Manta drop ships and host innumerable amounts of light green leaves on their tops, with some less common darker green leaves, adding a nice contrast to the treetops. While the Tau could have bored out the tree trunks and built into them, better hiding their research facilities, they instead decided to build independant facilities of the trees after noticing that the millenia old trees regenerate damage rather fast, often over as little time as weeks. This would have been a serious threat to the Tau, as building their bases into the trees would mean damage to their new hidden buildings would begin the minute they finished building. More intelligently, they built their bases near the clusters of trees and copied the floral treetops' colours to add a degree of camoflage against any enemies or threats that would decide to try and take satelite style scans on the planetoid's surface before decending down to claim it for themselves. This allows the Tau to remain hidden and prepare a plan of attack for the unknowing threat that would land on the surface of the planet.

A'kish's research facilities, known to very few of the Tau Empire, are responsible for a large number of technological innovations including the improved climate support systems added to the updated XV8 Battlesuits, the cooling system used on the improved XV88 Battlesuits, and a number of complicated and advanced targeting systems used in the Tigarshark and Tigershark AX-1-0 space and surface fighters, to name a few. These facilities, ordered operational by the Vior'la leaders, who were specially ordered by Aun'va himself albiet incognito of all other regular important communications, are within the backbone of Tau research advancements. They, and a number of more known facilities in the Fal'shia system, are responsible for many of the successes of great Fire Caste leaders. A'kish's facilities, however, operate under orders from a small number of Ethereal leaders in coalition with Aun'va, to research produce strange and unthinkable technologies. Technologies that would rival transcendance. Technologies that go beyond the current imagination of the Earth Caste scientists. One of the focuses of the facilities on A'kish is to develop an alloy compound so strong that it could survive the destructive environment that plagues Tarra'lor. For many years the Tau have been trying to gain access to the gas giant's rich resources, but even its first layer of gasses eats through Air Caste ships' shields and hulls in a matter of seconds. None who have ventured into Tarra'lor's atmosphere have returned, and they did so expecting not to in the name of Tau advancement.

The A'kish Research Defence Initiative is a collection of battlesuit-heavy cadres for swift retaliation to any threats that may wander toward A'kish and feel the need to explore its somewhat desolate surface. Vehicles are few and far on A'kish, as Tarra'lor's strange gravitational field messes with Tau anti-grav technologies, and the research facilities of A'kish have been unsuccessful in divising a solution so far. A'kish R'das'dorr isn't a large army like what the Tau use for planetary defense or campaigns, but instead has much less members, but does make great use of the variety of battlesuit technologies available the the Tau Empire, giving the A'kish researchers opportunities to test new prototype technologies and upgrades. Some notable members of A'kish R'das'dorr are:

Vior'O Or'es Kaais Il'var (Powerful and Skillful Commander Icewing of Vior'la)
O'Il'var has a long reputation for leading planetary campaigns against pirates and renegades in the Bor'kan system with his reputable XV8-6 Coldstar Battlesuit. He gained the name "Icewing" as his enemies would usually be mortally wounded but still left barely alive to die in the harsh and cold climates that cover a number of the Bor'kan worlds as he flew overhead.

Shas'ui Eyl'kan (Crisis Veteran Keeneye)
Eyl'kan was recruit around the same time as O'Il'var. He became well known for having a habit of spotting foe infiltration and scout operations where other Tau warriors would usually not. Some call it luck, some call it having an eye for his enemy, and some go as far as to claim that he is so accustomed to looking at non-Tau beings that he can spot them from many miles away. He preferred to retain the rank of Shas'ui, confident that he is a better warrior than he is leader, and so as to leave the role of leadership to more suitable candidates. That way, he could properly and more precisely exercise his unique skills as a Crisis Pilot without worrying as much about what his team members were doing.

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#33 » Mar 30 2016 08:22

They're done! I do have the four weapons left, but they will be done by the end of the week :)
Here is my completed command team in my makeshift little studio

You will notice that the Commander's paint job is far worse than that of my Crisis team, and as previously mentioned, it was the first model I painted after returning to the hobby, so I had to learn the skills and tricks involved with good painting, and it makes me really happy that it only took me one model to hone my skills up to a standard that I'm very happy with. I will be returning to these models to touch them up. As you can see, some have slight damage to thier paintwork, so I'll be repairing that and adding more vibrant highlighting too. I won't be returning to my Commander though. I'd rather keep him as a reminder of where I started art-wise, so I'll only be touching up the Crisis team. I like what I did with the commander. I progressed through each separate component getting better as I went, trying different techniques and learning the perfect ways to water down my paints for the best application. Unfortunately my rookie beginning cost me a whole lot of Nurgling Green, but the rest of my paints have lasted fairly well, so I'm not upset what so ever. I can't wait to get to work on my expansion next! I'm keen to experiment with Broadsides and a Riptide! Oh the poseability!!!! :D

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#34 » Apr 03 2016 06:59

Here's my completed 500 points skirmish force. Now onto the tabletop!
The reason the Fire Warriors are all different to the Crisis suits is because they were painted way before GW changed their paint range. They were painting with Rotting Fleah and Catachan Green, before changing to be Nurgling Gren and Castellan Green. I really do prefer the new colours too, as they're a lot more vibrant and green than the older ones. This new scheme is exactly what I wanted to achieve, so I'm very very impressed!

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: A'kish Research Defence Initiative (Project Log)

Post#35 » May 20 2016 03:32

Something came in the mail today :D
I'm super excited to work on some new models! But before I do, I need to get those clear bases on my cutting matt all done, and the Drones from my last Crisis team painted up and magnetized. Nevertheless, I have a lot of work to do! I'll bring regular updates

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Re: A'kish Research Defence Initiative (Project Log)

Post#36 » May 20 2016 03:56

I see my next two bigger projects there....a proper commander model and a Riptide. :D (totally not jelly! >_>)

Return to “Project Logs”