A'kish Vior'la Cadre

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: A'kish Vior'la Cadre

Post#217 » Nov 16 2017 04:47

Second Broadside finished. Kinda.
The days of goodly English is went
Ziss old dog still has a few tricks!

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#218 » Nov 24 2017 09:01

Three bad boys completed! I know I still need to paint the weapons, but they can wait. I need these suits for a battle in 10 hours!
The one on the left isn't inspired by anything, and is simply a dynamic pose I designed. The one in the middle is inspired by the Stormsurge's crouching position, and the one on the right is the Shas'ui(red head/shoulder pad) and is inspired by the original XV88 Broadside Battlesuit kit.

I coined the model name XV88b for these guys. Simple, and to the point!

I'm super proud of these models, as they're the biggest conversion project I've ever done. I'd love to do a similar project, turning an XV8 kit into classic style Commanders, but my project list is long enough right now.

Onward, to battle!

nix0n
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#219 » Nov 26 2017 08:20

BIG applause!

These custom XV-88s look like are ready to kick some butt! Great execution at a nice pace. Myself getting even one Crisis suit done will take eternities (that's why I am still fiddling with infantry models and not getting all of the appropriate materials for magnetizing my first set of XV-8's).

I might have missed it in your previous posts but what is your current project/to-do list? I remember you mentioning about pathfinders being next but what else is there? I'm just curious since I am having trouble with coming with next project after my first strike team is based and finished.
Cheers!
Nix

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#220 » Nov 26 2017 11:31

nix0n wrote:I might have missed it in your previous posts but what is your current project/to-do list? I remember you mentioning about pathfinders being next but what else is there? I'm just curious since I am having trouble with coming with next project after my first strike team is based and finished.

My current project list:
1. Finish painting Broadside weapons.
2. Pathfinder box(including magnetised arms for 6 of the 10 models, for special weapon options).
3. Converted Longstrike turret(I have some sheets of plasticard on the way), and the rest of the tank, including the Sky Ray turret.
4. Ghostkeel.
5. Stormsurge.
6. Drooooooooooooooooooooooooooones!

I own everything in my project list, I just need to put the time in! I hope to get at least points 1 and 2 done by two saturdays from now, for my next club day.

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#221 » Nov 28 2017 02:11

I've made some progress on my Pathfinders. I've magnetised all of the weapons and arms that I planned on making interchangeable.

They're all mostly flush, and I'm super happy with the results. The reason I magnetised six torsoes instead of only three, is because I can split my total number of Pathfinders into two units of eight, allowing me to use all six special weapons in one army. The kit is super detailed and satisfying to work with, but the small parts are starting to give my hands cramps. I'm not sure if I'll get the Broadside weapons painted before I start on these guys, but I'll try to.

nix0n
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#222 » Nov 29 2017 04:36

I am afraid that I'm turning into this obnoxious fan that compliments everything you do :P

Must admit that the magnetizing has been executed beautifully and the end result looks super clean and flush.

I would like to ask some advice for such task if you are willing to share:
- I suppose you used 2mm in diameter magnets. Would 2,5 be too much in your opinion? (what are the overall specs of the magnet used in your pathfinders)
- How did you managed to glue the magnet so flush against the surface of the part?
- And lastly, the centering of the magnets is really important so that the arms wouldn't look too off-set. How exactly this could be measured so both of the magnets are centered on the corresponding sides?

Thank you!
Cheers!
Nix

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#223 » Nov 29 2017 05:24

nix0n wrote:I am afraid that I'm turning into this obnoxious fan that compliments everything you do

Must admit that the magnetizing has been executed beautifully and the end result looks super clean and flush.

Firstly, I really appreciate the responses and the compliments! Your responses and compliments are what drive me to keep coming back and checking and updating my log. Don't stop! If you feel like you're a fan, then I LOVE that! I've never had a fan before :P

Now, onto your questions.
nix0n wrote:- I suppose you used 2mm in diameter magnets. Would 2,5 be too much in your opinion? (what are the overall specs of the magnet used in your pathfinders)

2mm diameter by 1mm thickness are the magnets I use, and they're uniform across every model I own with one exception. The magnets I use to keep my Riptide's Jet Packs on are 3mm, because those parts are huge and needed the extra pulling power.

nix0n wrote:- How did you managed to glue the magnet so flush against the surface of the part?

Getting the magnets flush required me to put them in using another magnetic surface, if that makes sense. Since I'm only putting them into a flat surface with a hole in it, I put the magnet on my hobby knife's blade, applied a small drop (not even technically a drop, more of a dab) of glue to the side of the magnet going into the plastic, then guided it in, using the blade to keep the magnet flush. I ONLY did this with the very first magnet. From that point onward, I used the first magnet to put more in, and I'll explain how: I glued the first magnet into the first torso, then drilled into the arms. I put the first arm magnet onto the glued torso magnet, then guided the arm into place, and once the magnet was in the arm and flush, I very quickly pulled the arm and torso apart so they didn't stick together from overflowed superglue. After putting the second magnet into the first arm, I used the arm to put a magnet into the OTHER side of the torso, to make sure that the torso magnets had the same polarity on both shoulders. From that point I just used my already magnetised parts to put magnets into the other parts. Here's a crude illustration of what I mean.

nix0n wrote:- And lastly, the centering of the magnets is really important so that the arms wouldn't look too off-set. How exactly this could be measured so both of the magnets are centered on the corresponding sides?

This just came down to sheer accuracy. I used the tip of my hobby knife to make approximate starting points to compare to the already magnetised torsos, then corrected if I made my starting point off center before drilling. Some of them aren't properly flush, so I need to make sure the correct arms (carbine arms mainly) correspond to the the correct torso, otherwise they don't sit comfortably.

This is the most challenging and fun magnetisation project I've ever done, and I'm extremely satisfied with it.

nix0n
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#224 » Nov 29 2017 11:36

Awesome! Thank you so much!
I will most definitely try magnetizing my pathfinders too (gotta make the most of that plastic kit).

I'll just point out the details again just so that I understood everything correctly (my english may fail me whenever I get so excited) :P

- 2x1mm magnets, probably N45 rating
- use first magnetized part as a guide to get the polarities right
- lining up the holes on the torso and hands goes by just winging it

BTW what's the difference between a "dab" and a "drop" of glue?

Again! Thanks oh so much! :D
Cheers!
Nix

IceFall
Shas

Post#225 » Nov 29 2017 11:50

Really appreciate the clean aesthetic you are managing to maintain. I think you are going to enjoy painting the Ghostkeel. That will be the one I will be looking out for.

I was tempted to magnetise my troops - but I just got a bit lazy and bought more so I always have the options!
My Project Log and Army: viewtopic.php?t=26860

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#226 » Nov 29 2017 07:11

nix0n wrote:BTW what's the difference between a "dab" and a "drop" of glue?

A drop of glue, I would say, is an amount of glue poured out of the nozzle of the tube, enough to drop from the end of the tube. A dab, is only just enough to cover the side of the magnet which will go into the model, but not enough to drop from the end of the glue nozzle :)

You got your pointers perfect!

IceFall wrote:Really appreciate the clean aesthetic you are managing to maintain. I think you are going to enjoy painting the Ghostkeel. That will be the one I will be looking out for.

I was tempted to magnetise my troops - but I just got a bit lazy and bought more so I always have the options!

In response, I really appreciate the compliment :D I'm really keen to paint the Ghostkeel, but I swear its the only kit I've ever had at which I look, and can't visually construct it in my brain. There are so many parts that I may actually have to read the instructions!

I really wanted to put magnets into my Fire Warriors so I could give them Carbines OR Rifles, but I got lazy. I would really love to get another Fire Warrior kit and get a Guardsman kit, and give the Guardsmen all Carbines as Gue'vesa :D

Return to “Project Logs”