A'kish Vior'la Cadre

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: A'kish Vior'la Cadre

Post#145 » Jun 10 2017 02:09

Even though I have shakey hands today, I decided to work on my Cadre Fireblade's base. Now, initially I considered using a 40mm base with him, since it looks strange that my Ethereal gets a larger base but my Fireblade doesn't. I soon forwent that idea to simply stick with the base provided with the model as it does look fairly good, and it is desigbed for the model so I wouldn't need to find a way to put the Fireblade on some sort of custom slope.
I plan to put my absolute best paint work into my Fireblade so he still stands out amongst all my Fire Warriors, and because I'd love to have a character that I could hopefully enter into competitions, but thats not a huge deal. Still, I'm likely going to take a very long time with this model, so this thread may go quiet for a bit :)
The days of goodly English is went
Ziss old dog still has a few tricks!

nix0n
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#146 » Jun 10 2017 02:36

:eek:

How did I not notice the "Subscribe" option any earlier? Managed to miss the latest Ethereal post. Amazing work on him btw! Simple and clean. Also can't wait to see your work on the Fireblade :)

Cheers
Nix
Cheers!
Nix

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#147 » Jun 10 2017 02:40

Wow a subscriber! I'm honoured:D Thanks for the compliments and for following my work, I really hope to put my absolute best into my Fireblade. I'm aiming for GW quality, but we'll see how I go :)

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#148 » Jun 10 2017 08:08

I did a little conversion work on my Commander in lieu of the coming changes in the 8th edition. Since I won't be using him as a Buff-mander anymore, I needed to give him some equipment to work with! So I removed his forearms carefully, and put some magnets in the undersides.
Given how great everyone is making the Fusion Commander out to be, these were the first weapons to get Commander magnets. I would also like to add magnets to a pair of Missile Pods and maybe even a pair of Plasma Rifles, just for the added options. I DID try him out with the hands provided in the Commander kit, but I still didn't like them, even with the weapons attached, so they're staying off.

Edit: I also plan to return to my Commander and touch up his paint work to hopefully improve the quality, and also improve his presence on the table top. There are some areas where my shading has been a bit sloppy, and the same with my highlighting. There are also some parts where paint has been chipped, so I want to fill those areas in.

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#149 » Jun 10 2017 09:19

He looks great, but clearly I need to read up on thoughts over Suits in 8th edition!

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#150 » Jun 14 2017 05:53

Finished the cape for my Fireblade. The progress continues, but I'm still only in the early stages, and while posting this I've realised that I need to edge highlight the bottom and sides of the cape :o Onward, for glory!

russ29
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#151 » Jun 15 2017 01:45

Very clean and nice job! I love them!
Through unity, devastation

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#152 » Jun 15 2017 11:52

Smooth application so far - what is the gold you're using, really deep lustre.

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#153 » Jun 16 2017 03:18

Retributor Armour is the gold :)
I've almost finished the Fireblade. I'm doing little bits each day, and I've completed the head, cape and shoulderpad now. I'm blown away by how well the head turned out! I'll upload images when I finish the model :D

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#154 » Jun 16 2017 05:25

Retributor armor is such good paint! Love it. I don't think I'll ever use something else to paint gold anymore. :D

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#155 » Jun 19 2017 07:59

Finished! He certainly isn't the quality I wanted, but I'm so glad to finally have him finished and ready to play! I had done some absolutely breathetaking details on the model until I had to start painting the Nurgling Green, which was the last colour I did. I kinda rushed it, because my paint was drying up on my palette faster than I could paint it. Even on a wet palette, with water added to the paint for longevity(I don't have any retardants or mediums) the paint was drying up on the palette and also on my brush faster than I could use it, thus resulting in my rushed and rather sloppy and thick paint job (I blame this Australian winter weather), but I resigned myself to satisfaction with the result, as I'm super happy to have it done, and he'll still look fantastic on the table :D Now to give him some new Fire Warriors to lead! I'm very excited to get these guys done as I read that you don't need them to be stationary for a whole turn like in the last edition, to deploy the Turret. They deploy it at the END of the Movement Phase, and just need to maintain coherency with it! Bit different to the Stormsurge, which deploys his anchors at the end of the Shooting Phase.

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#156 » Jun 20 2017 11:07

Man, we're all our own worst critics. :)

A good result all told from your "rushing". One thing I learned when burning out, was to just lay down the basic colours and come back to do all the fancy shading and highlighting another time. With the bulk out of the way you're more likely to come back and finish knowing its ready to roll when you're motivated.

Thanks for the Gold info, think it's time I bought some more metallics!

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#157 » Jun 20 2017 11:56

Usually I do paint on the main greens first, but this time round I did all the details so I knew what to avoid. What a silly mistake that was :p

Anytime on the gold info :) its my favourite gold for my T'au, but for anything else I'd probably settle with an even lighter gold. I really like the way the yellowy-gold looks on the Ultramarines painted by GW.

nix0n
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#158 » Jun 22 2017 11:56

Dude!
Absolutely great work on the Fireblade. I am loving the minor conversion with the pistol. I am not liking the original pose either so I am definitely going to do some custom work on the model.
Your scheme is looking really nice on the infantry! I would love to see more soon.

Keep up the good work!
Nix
Cheers!
Nix

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#159 » Jun 22 2017 04:49

Thanks a ton Nix! I really appreciate the enthusiastic response :D I hope to have my Fire Warriors done within the next 4-7 days, so I'll get some photos of them up asap. And then, on friday night, I have a battle planned :D my first batttle in 8th! I'm excited!

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#160 » Jul 20 2017 06:48

I ordered the three Broadside Battlesuits that I'll be using for my converted Railsides this afternoon. I'm auper excited! My Fire Warriors are coming along nicely, albeit at turtle-like speeds, but I'm chipping away at them slowly. Once those guys are done, I'll get to work on some extra weapons for my Crisis teams, allowing me to take 3 with dual Fusion and 3 with dual Missile Pods.

I realised this afternoon, that if I manage to convert my Railsides without comprimising the original GW Broadside kits too much, I'll still be able to make three Missilesides with the High Yield Missile Pod arms, effectively giving me 6 Broadsides. I hope I can make it work, but my top priority is going to be some seriously cool Crisis-based shoulder mounted Rail Rifle donning Broadside Battlesuits.

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#161 » Jul 20 2017 04:25

Looking forward to it - sounds an involved but cool modification :)

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#162 » Jul 25 2017 07:27

Progress continues! I would consider my Strike team around 60% completed. All I have left is the shoulder pads, backpacks, heads and the DS8 turret.
I'm finding it super hard to find the motivation to continue, as I'm not used to painting miniatures this small and this many, and its proven auite the challenge already! And to add to the difficulty in finding motivation, my local gaming scene seems almost dead, even after the drop of 8th, so I'm having to travel to find games, but if that doesn't workout then I may lose motivation completely.

My local gaming scene appears to be very burned out from 7th, but on top of that, majority of the players are super competitive kinds of people, which really makes it hard to have some fun in this game.

I have a battle coming up this weekend. Its 2 and a bit hours to drive to, and the same from, but I'm hoping its worth it. I recently came into contact with an old school friend in the town I'll need to travel to, the one that convinced me to buy models originally in fact, and he tells me that his local club is quite active in 40k, so I'm really hoping this pans out well and gives me good opportunity to play. If so, I may make it a bi-weekly excursion with the wife and kid, to spicen up our lives a bit :D that way, wife gets to see the changes in 8th edition too!

Return to “Project Logs”