A'kish Research Defence Initiative (Project Log)

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Bloodknife92
Shas'Saal

A'kish Research Defence Initiative (Project Log)

Post#1 » Jan 16 2016 10:10

I recently purchased and began working on my Tau Commander model (rookie mistake. Never buy your best model first) as some of you may know from my Magnetising Tau for maximum options post over in Modelling I think. Very recently I procured all the paints I need to do pretty much my whole army, so I've been busy. I started with the base my Commander, or 'Vior'O Or'es Kaais Il'var', will be standing on.

Edit: This image isn't the final product. I've added some more paint to the axe and knife, will upload as soon as I take more pictures.

I put lots of thought and preparation into the base, and added some ork weapons from a kit my brother has me assembling, to show that he's been fighting already. The two rocks I added are real rocks and not painted cork as I prefer the randomness that comes with real rocks. The gold-ish rock is the one my commander will be leaping from.

After I worked on the base, I moved onto an objective marker that I slapped together because I had the bitz, as seen below.

This is the only picture I have of the banner.
Its made of a Khorne Bloodletter battle standard with the Khorne symbol on the top cut off and some ork transfers added to make it look a bit orky. I'm considering taking off the red transfers and putting black ones in because, as you can see, there's only one set of horns on the banner. This is because I accidentally took one off while glueing the banner to the pole. I'm also thinking about adding some faint blood to it to add detail.

After doing my little objective marker, I moved onto the drone.

I'm happy with the drone, but at the same time I'm considering changing it a bit. I'm very disappointed with the lenses, so after watching some videos for techniques, I'll be recoating them black and trying again. And I am also considering doing the centre of the top of the drone red, to further denote that it is the commander's drone, and to help the red fit in a bit better on the drone. My wife, friend and I think it looks a bit out of place, but I didn't want to take it away, so I figured why not put more emphases on it.

I haven't put together a drone base for this guy yet, but that's my next ptoject before I get to work on the commander.

So there you have it. This is the start of my force. I'll be adding more to this post as I progress and plan on keeping you up to date with each milestone I achieve.
Last edited by Bloodknife92 on Apr 03 2016 07:04, edited 8 times in total.
The days of goodly English is went

Routa
Shas

Re: Commander Iceknife and his forces

Post#2 » Jan 17 2016 02:43

Seems youre off to a nice start with your army :)
I suppose your army's main colour is that green and red is sept colour?
Im liking the colours on the drone and maybe it could look nice with the center of the drone red as well, though I think it might be too red then, you could try doing some Tauish markings with red on the top or even some weathering to break down the flat areas.
Lenses Look pretty good now too imo as they are but if youre redoing them Id try either washing the base colour or even using a little darker blue as a base to make the highlights pop out more.
I like the use of real rocks on the base but you can get the randomness with cork too if you don't leave them flat on the base but put smaller bits like sideways too if you know what I mean (something Im clearly not doing with my bases :P)
don't get my thoughts wrong, Im liking what Im seeing and Im really looking forward to seeing some painted up cannonfodder and suits.

-Routa

Bloodknife92
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Jan 17 2016 05:49

Thanks for the praises Routa! Its encouraging to receive words like that :D

As for the drone, I'm definitely redoing the lenses because close up, they look terrible :( I really want to achieve the blended colours effect that GW seem to do, and I've watched and learned some new techniques that I overlooked when I painted the lenses the first time, so I'll be definitely trying again with my new knowledge. And with the top, I'm considering painting the outside rim of the drone in the darker green, as the drones in the codex follow this suit (although in different colours) and I really like it, so I might try it. The reason I considered the red on top was to match the style I'll be doing the commander (red head and green body etc), but now that you mention it, it really will be more red than needed :D

And with the rocks, I was more than happy to use real rocks as opposed to fake ones so as to avoid even more painting :P and I have lots of little rocks available to me. I'm considering going over them with Nuln Oil, but not too sure. I will however, make the decision whether to do it or not before I glue the commander on.

Bloodknife92
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Jan 18 2016 02:33

I've started working on a drone base for my commander drone. Right now, its just sanded, but I will be adding thicker sand, or stones as I like the call them, then I'll be base coating and painting and adding grass, rocks etc. This is what I have so far:

I've also touched up and recoloured the commander drone. Now the outside of the main drone head is the darker of the two greens my army will be painted in, and I went over the lens again, but I'm still not satisfied. Oh well, it will have to do.

And here's a couple of better shots of the commander's base and the objective marker

Bloodknife92
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Jan 18 2016 06:51

Update: I've added the thicker sand to the drone base, and have finished painting the drone's gun attachments. Next up: the commander himself.

Routa
Shas

Post#6 » Jan 18 2016 09:30

Drone looks much better now :) and the drone's "eye" lense looks real cool.
As to the bases, Id add a tiny bit of some brighter colour to the axe on the base, like a red line on the shaft or some orky dags or something just to give the base some more colour. And the drone base, I personally would limit the use of that bigger gravel to smaller piles and not use it all over the base or maybe even couple bits here and there.

-Routa

Bloodknife92
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Jan 18 2016 09:32

Routa wrote:Drone looks much better now and the drone's "eye" lense looks real cool.

Thanks! I put less effort into the white section of the eye, and tried more to better emphasise the blues. And on the markerlight/gun attachments, I ruled out white altogether. It just looks a lot better.

Routa wrote:As to the bases, Id add a tiny bit of some brighter colour to the axe on the base, like a red line on the shaft or some orky dags or something just to give the base some more colour.

Firstly, I don't want to draw too much attention to the base (even though I may just) because the commander will be the main piece, so a little dullness on the weapons etc doesn't bother me too much. That, and I'm fairly happy with how I've done the weapons, although I'm considering washing some really watered down red over the blades to give the illusion of blood.

Routa wrote:And the drone base, I personally would limit the use of that bigger gravel to smaller piles and not use it all over the base or maybe even couple bits here and there.

Unfortunately I'd already finished the drone base by the time I got to read this, but I get what you mean! It would help add to the randomness that is usually in a dirty and muddy terrain.

Anywho, here is the finished base and another image with the drone mounted.

Bloodknife92
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Jan 21 2016 08:10

I've been busy working on my commander lately (more like finding the motivation to work on him :P ). I'd already decided that I was going to paint him in separate components as opposed to fully assembled, so as to get to all the hard to reach places, and my oh my, have I learned a lot about painting. I'm still learning how to achieve the perfect thinned paint level, and so most of the paint job has been fairly poor with brush marks and smudges and such, but at least at a distance of more than say, a foot, these errors aren't as noticeable if at all. So finally, here is my commander model work in progress:

Redback
Por

Post#9 » Jan 22 2016 05:48

I was not a fan of the colour scheme on the drone but on your commander you have sold it to me. Keep up the great work

Routa
Shas

Post#10 » Jan 22 2016 02:29

So far so good :) those colours look ace on the commander!
Get it finished :P

-Routa

Return to “Project Logs”