A'kish Vior'la Cadre

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: A'kish Research Defence Initiative (Project Log)

Post#51 » Jul 04 2016 08:00

Commander's base done! :)
The days of goodly English is went
Ziss old dog still has a few tricks!

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#52 » Jul 05 2016 01:48

How did you made the logs surface? It looks really good and I could use something like that for my jungle bases. :)

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#53 » Jul 05 2016 05:00

I just used the ball point tip against the green stuff. Soon after that, I used a pair of tweezers, scratching roughly and carelessly to create a random and natural look :)

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#54 » Jul 05 2016 05:10

I see. Sounds easy enough. Thanks. :D

Aun Tier
Por'Vre
Por'Vre

Post#55 » Jul 05 2016 12:37

That log looks really good. Did you glue it onto the base before painting? If you did, then you've done a great job getting into the base around the log. Your Crisis Suits also look super crisp. The painting seems very smooth. :nice:
Truth was flame against a sleeping lake of petrol.

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#56 » Jul 05 2016 05:58

Aun Tier wrote:That log looks really good. Did you glue it onto the base before painting? If you did, then you've done a great job getting into the base around the log. Your Crisis Suits also look super crisp. The painting seems very smooth. :nice:

Firstly, thanks a ton for the compliments :D
Secondly, I did indeed glue the log on, but only after the sand was applied.

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#57 » Jul 10 2016 02:54

Progress!!!! I hope to have this guy finished tomorrow, just in time to start university the next day :)

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#58 » Jul 11 2016 11:07

Very clean work, been great to browse your steps too.

Quick request, could you reign in the size of your images. Thanks man :)

What paint shade if your base theme colour? Or have I missed that somewhere in the thread(!) :fear:

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#59 » Jul 12 2016 05:30

He's finished!!! (Not technically) I want to return to him and redo his head lenses and maybe add some more transfers. I also want to add white to the Tau symbol on his left antenna (right in the image), as it doesn't look vibrant enough.

No one is allowed to comment on the 17 (i think) transfers I added to the model :) I really want him to stand out as the commander, and I also have LOTS of transfers to use!

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#60 » Jul 12 2016 06:05

Tael wrote:Quick request, could you reign in the size of your images. Thanks man :)

What paint shade if your base theme colour? Or have I missed that somewhere in the thread(!) :fear:

Reign in the size of my images? You mean cut them down a bit? I plan to, when I get to my computer next (tomorrow hopefully).

My colours are(for any curiosities):
Primary (light green) - Nurgling Green
Primary Highlight - Ushabti Bone
Secondary (dark green) - Castellan Green
SecondaryHighlight - Loren Forest
Sept (red) - Evil Sunz Scarlet
SeptHighlight - Wild Rider Red
Lenses and Jet Pack Exhausts (dark blue): Caledor Sky
Lenses (light blue): Lothern Blue
Lenses (white): White Scar
Mechanical Components (black): Abaddon Black
Mechanical Highlight: Eshin Grey
Base Mud: Rhinox Hide
Mud Highlight: Gorthor Brown
Trunk Highlight: Baneblade Brown
Gyros: Retributor Armour
Gyro Highlight: Runefang Steel
All Shades: Nuln Oil

If I've missed anything, feel free to ask :)

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#61 » Jul 13 2016 04:05

I revisited my Commander's lenses this afternoon.
Both my first and latest Commander models together. I think I've improved a lot between the two :)

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#62 » Jul 13 2016 07:42

He looks fantastic. I don't even think the transfers were overkill, they accent the finished model nicely.

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#63 » Jul 14 2016 04:11

Thanks Agentarrow! I was worried no one would agree

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#64 » Jul 25 2016 05:20

I've started working on my next project :D
I'm considering putting magnets in the hip-torso join so I can minimise bulkiness for transporting, because this model is just huge! The hip-torso join already has a slotting pole-type part, so that solves me needing to add some dowel or something along those lines, allowing me to just add the magnets. The reason I want to add magnets is because I've already planned the model's pose, so if I want to maintain that pose when on the table, I need the magnets to align the join horisontally. I'm also thinking about adding magnets to the jet packs, as taking them off for transport would save a LOT of space!

As for the weapons and the shield, I've magnetised them all, and you'll all see in due time :)

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#65 » Jul 27 2016 06:35

I've made some progress on my Riptide! And I'm eager to share my methods with everyone.
In short, I've added magnets to the hip-torso joins so as to make the model more transportable. I've also done the same with the jet packs for the same reason.
In the above image, you can see where I've added the magnets to the appropriate components allowing me to interchange them at will. This is the first project I've recently added 3mm diameter magnets to, since 2mm magnets seem sufficient enough for most custom jobs, however the jet packs are rather quite heavy, so after adding the 2mm magnets I still had a lot of movement between the two parts, which lead to me removing the magnets and replacing them. Unfortunately, i damaged the jet pack in the picture(as seen below) by using a drill to make the hole, and drilling all the way through to the other side. It's only a small screw up and I can repair it with green stuff, but I'm still disappointed in myself(only a little :) ). I really don't enjoy using 3mm magnets because in order to make the holes for them, I need something with more driving force than my hands with a hobby drill, and the reason for that is that the cuts that a 3mm drill bit make are quite large and so the resistance the plastic gives is enough to stop my hands from being able to turn the hobby drill. And on top of all that, I don't have a hobby drill with a big enough vice to hold a 3mm drill bit. So, I used the only other thing available to me. A power drill! As I said though, it's only small damage that is easily repaired, and wouldn't even be that bad if left alone.
The jet pack connected with the torso part.
The jet pack holding strong and not wobbling or moving around at the join.
This image shows where I put the magnets in the hip for the halfway join. I decided on two and not four as drilling four holes would affect the integrity of the plastic around the centre hole and make it less stable, even when all glued in. The torso fits in snug while not painted, so should fit in even more snug while painted, and the magnets have the perfect amount of strength to keep the torso from spinning in the join.
The magnets in the torso join. I accidentally drilled the wrong holes, and luckily noticed when I only had one magnet in the torso, so i quickly removed the magnet, filled the holes with green stuff, and drilled new holes.
The torso strongly holding up the hip join.

I'm very happy with my progress so far :D. I won't be able to paint the model anytime soon however, unfortunately, as my current living situation and study situation leave me without a proper desk to paint at, nor the time to do the painting. I hope to get it done sooner rather than later though, as it's going to be a super cool model!

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#66 » Jul 27 2016 03:48

I often wish I had magnetized more than just the gun on my Riptide. I like your method. If you're considering any conversions, you may want to check out what I did to my Riptide. Maybe you'll like it. It's on the first page of my Fio log.

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#67 » Jul 27 2016 05:10

So YOU'RE the one that made that riptide! I saw it on pinterest and thought it was really cool, but not for me :) I like to try and keep my Tau as close to the original model as I can, as I really like the models as is. It's kinda funny saying that though, as I like to make every model stand out above the norm too. I'm just different :)

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#68 » Aug 03 2016 04:14

Making progress :D

I definitely find that segmenting the work is more motivating. By this I mean I've painted the hips down, and I'm working on those components, then I'll move to the torso, then the jet packs, then the arms and weapons/shield. The benefit of this is that there's less work before being able to see an end, which really motivates me to paint.

Return to “Project Logs”