I've made some progress on my Riptide! And I'm eager to share my methods with everyone.
In short, I've added magnets to the hip-torso joins so as to make the model more transportable. I've also done the same with the jet packs for the same reason.
In the above image, you can see where I've added the magnets to the appropriate components allowing me to interchange them at will. This is the first project I've recently added 3mm diameter magnets to, since 2mm magnets seem sufficient enough for most custom jobs, however the jet packs are rather quite heavy, so after adding the 2mm magnets I still had a lot of movement between the two parts, which lead to me removing the magnets and replacing them. Unfortunately, i damaged the jet pack in the picture(as seen below) by using a drill to make the hole, and drilling all the way through to the other side. It's only a small screw up and I can repair it with green stuff, but I'm still disappointed in myself(only a little
). I really don't enjoy using 3mm magnets because in order to make the holes for them, I need something with more driving force than my hands with a hobby drill, and the reason for that is that the cuts that a 3mm drill bit make are quite large and so the resistance the plastic gives is enough to stop my hands from being able to turn the hobby drill. And on top of all that, I don't have a hobby drill with a big enough vice to hold a 3mm drill bit. So, I used the only other thing available to me. A power drill! As I said though, it's only small damage that is easily repaired, and wouldn't even be that bad if left alone.
The jet pack connected with the torso part.
The jet pack holding strong and not wobbling or moving around at the join.
This image shows where I put the magnets in the hip for the halfway join. I decided on two and not four as drilling four holes would affect the integrity of the plastic around the centre hole and make it less stable, even when all glued in. The torso fits in snug while not painted, so should fit in even more snug while painted, and the magnets have the perfect amount of strength to keep the torso from spinning in the join.
The magnets in the torso join. I accidentally drilled the wrong holes, and luckily noticed when I only had one magnet in the torso, so i quickly removed the magnet, filled the holes with green stuff, and drilled new holes.
The torso strongly holding up the hip join.
I'm very happy with my progress so far
. I won't be able to paint the model anytime soon however, unfortunately, as my current living situation and study situation leave me without a proper desk to paint at, nor the time to do the painting. I hope to get it done sooner rather than later though, as it's going to be a super cool model!