A'kish Vior'la Cadre

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Re: A'kish Research Defence Initiative (Project Log)

Post#71 » Aug 05 2016 08:31

Yeah, I have to get the Arrow Pattern XV8 designed before the contest ends, and I have ideas for other XV8 conversions too.

I went through at least half a pot of each my armor base and layer paints on my Riptide. I'd expect the same here.

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#72 » Aug 05 2016 08:19

I'm going to try and have loads more dark green on this model than I have my previous ones. I've been a bit lazy with the darker green and gotten carried away with the light green. Hopefully it doesn't end up looking too out of place.
The days of goodly English is went
Ziss old dog still has a few tricks!

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#73 » Aug 05 2016 08:33

My riptide has more of The Fang on it than my Crisis suits, and less of the Russ Grey. It meshes well. I don't think the darker green will give you much issue.

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#74 » Aug 06 2016 03:47

Really liking the duo-tone green you're using to pick out armor plates.

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#75 » Aug 06 2016 04:06

Thanks Tael!

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#76 » Aug 15 2016 07:01

I've finished the lower half of my Riptide! Hurray! It took way more motivation than it should have :P although, I AM up to my neck in university assignments, so I guess that could be justifiably blamed for taking so long for something so simple. Nevertheless! Progress does not falter! I've divided the rest of the Riptide into four sub-projects, and those are: the torso, arms and head, jet packs, and weapons and shield.
Not pictured: While I haven't included the Heavy Burst Cannon, I do plan on assembling and painting it, as I feel I may use it in the future. However, before assembling and painting it, I reeeeally want to get a bearing and add it to the barrels so I can rotate them, just for fun. I have no idea where I'll get a bearing that small, but I'll hunt around. That, however, is a project for another day.

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#77 » Aug 18 2016 01:02

Good work.
You would be amazed how small of ball/roller bearings you can get. I have several for 2mm shafts, so one the size of the HBC insert shouldn't be too hard to find. I don't know about bearing suppliers in Australia, but I get mine from NSK. They make bearings of all shapes and sizes.

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#78 » Aug 18 2016 08:00

I have found some small bearings on the internet that I can get shipped to Aus, but I won't be doing that for a while. I still have to finish the Riptide, , two more Crisis, my Broadside and a whole lot of drones. I'll get to it eventually, and I'm adamant it's going to be awesome, but future me can worry about that :D

Miond
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#79 » Aug 19 2016 08:10

If you're feeling adventorous you might also be able to find a bearing in electronics you're replacing, like an old harddrive or a mouse with freerolling scrollwheel. Being in IT I get a ton of small bits that way, tiny motors, gears, magnets etc.

That said, for consistent results I'd probably still buy them online..

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#80 » Aug 19 2016 06:04

Yeah I'm going to buy a new one online, to ensure I get the exact size I want.

In other news, I'm picking up a new can of black spray, so I can move onto the next section of my riptide when I get the time!

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#81 » Mar 13 2017 10:03

I finally return to my hobby, after a long hiatus! University has been drastically eating up all of my time, as well as things like my daughter's first birthday, finding out that my wife and I are expecting another child (yay! :D ) and the old nemesis of tabletop gaming, video games. I've grown bored of my video games though, and have gladly and excitedly returned to my painting/modeling.

I'm continuing work on my riptide, but before I did, I quickly finished off the last Cyclic Ion Blaster and Plasma Rifle which I had lazily left unpainted. I'm suuuper excited to have gotten them out of the way, as I've been kicking myself for ages about not having done them! So now ALL of my Crisis suits currently in action, have their appropriate weapons :D

I hope to finish the torso fully tonight, then I'll move onto the head and the arms, but my university work is backed up right now, so we'll see how I go.

It's so good to be back and working on this again! I can't wait to finish my Riptide, 2 last Crisis suits and my Broadside, then buy some of the new Fire Warriors!
Last edited by Bloodknife92 on Mar 15 2017 05:10, edited 1 time in total.

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#82 » Mar 14 2017 02:55

Phase 2 down. The torso is finished and the arms and head are base coated and awaiting paint! I'm on a roll!

These two were before I remembered to apply transfers.
This one is following application of transfers, with the head also sitting in its place but not glued.
Last edited by Bloodknife92 on Mar 15 2017 05:15, edited 1 time in total.

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#83 » Mar 14 2017 05:32

Welcome back! And quality update :D

That XV8 force looks great - real tabletop presence right there.

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#84 » Mar 15 2017 05:18

I fixed the links to my images. On another note, I finished the head.

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#85 » Mar 16 2017 02:09

Oooh power pose :D

Decal edge on the right leg is showing up though, do you use a Microsol/set for decals at all? Should wipe that out in a second. :)

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#86 » Mar 16 2017 02:15

Nah unfortunately I don't use any decal setting materials. I really should consider it as my transfers all look glossy and my paintjobs are all extremely matte.

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#87 » Mar 16 2017 05:02

Lol I get paranoid about decals I use micro set/sol on all mine, over a gloss coat, then sealed in with more gloss, followed with a matt coats to tie it all in... It's also why my current Tau are all free hand it just seemed like less work, lol. :D

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#88 » Mar 16 2017 06:59

Okay well thats full on Darklighter :D

Definitely gets a great result, but for quick and fun - the usual Micro Sol/Set combo only, is a winner. You could always brush a small patch of gloss in the area they are applied (larger surfaces are good condidates)

I pretty much do only the Micro portion and then a matte varnish - sometimes painting over elements of the decal (battle damage, scratch, highlight) to tie them in even more. :D

Return to “Project Logs”