A'kish Vior'la Cadre

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
User avatar
Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Posts: 439

Re: A'kish Research Defence Initiative (Project Log)

Post#81 » Mar 13 2017 10:03

I finally return to my hobby, after a long hiatus! University has been drastically eating up all of my time, as well as things like my daughter's first birthday, finding out that my wife and I are expecting another child (yay! :D ) and the old nemesis of tabletop gaming, video games. I've grown bored of my video games though, and have gladly and excitedly returned to my painting/modeling.

I'm continuing work on my riptide, but before I did, I quickly finished off the last Cyclic Ion Blaster and Plasma Rifle which I had lazily left unpainted. I'm suuuper excited to have gotten them out of the way, as I've been kicking myself for ages about not having done them! So now ALL of my Crisis suits currently in action, have their appropriate weapons :D
Image

Image
I hope to finish the torso fully tonight, then I'll move onto the head and the arms, but my university work is backed up right now, so we'll see how I go.

It's so good to be back and working on this again! I can't wait to finish my Riptide, 2 last Crisis suits and my Broadside, then buy some of the new Fire Warriors!
Last edited by Bloodknife92 on Mar 15 2017 05:10, edited 1 time in total.
The days of goodly English is went

User avatar
Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Posts: 439

Re: A'kish Research Defence Initiative (Project Log)

Post#82 » Mar 14 2017 02:55

Phase 2 down. The torso is finished and the arms and head are base coated and awaiting paint! I'm on a roll!

Image

Image
These two were before I remembered to apply transfers.
Image
This one is following application of transfers, with the head also sitting in its place but not glued.
Last edited by Bloodknife92 on Mar 15 2017 05:15, edited 1 time in total.
The days of goodly English is went

User avatar
Tael
Fio'O
Posts: 5582
Contact:

Re: A'kish Research Defence Initiative (Project Log)

Post#83 » Mar 14 2017 05:32

Welcome back! And quality update :D

That XV8 force looks great - real tabletop presence right there.

User avatar
Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Posts: 439

Re: A'kish Research Defence Initiative (Project Log)

Post#84 » Mar 15 2017 05:18

I fixed the links to my images. On another note, I finished the head.
Image
The days of goodly English is went

User avatar
Tael
Fio'O
Posts: 5582
Contact:

Re: A'kish Research Defence Initiative (Project Log)

Post#85 » Mar 16 2017 02:09

Oooh power pose :D

Decal edge on the right leg is showing up though, do you use a Microsol/set for decals at all? Should wipe that out in a second. :)

User avatar
Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Posts: 439

Re: A'kish Research Defence Initiative (Project Log)

Post#86 » Mar 16 2017 02:15

Nah unfortunately I don't use any decal setting materials. I really should consider it as my transfers all look glossy and my paintjobs are all extremely matte.
The days of goodly English is went

User avatar
Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui
Posts: 430

Re: A'kish Research Defence Initiative (Project Log)

Post#87 » Mar 16 2017 05:02

Lol I get paranoid about decals I use micro set/sol on all mine, over a gloss coat, then sealed in with more gloss, followed with a matt coats to tie it all in... It's also why my current Tau are all free hand it just seemed like less work, lol. :D

User avatar
Tael
Fio'O
Posts: 5582
Contact:

Re: A'kish Research Defence Initiative (Project Log)

Post#88 » Mar 16 2017 06:59

Okay well thats full on Darklighter :D

Definitely gets a great result, but for quick and fun - the usual Micro Sol/Set combo only, is a winner. You could always brush a small patch of gloss in the area they are applied (larger surfaces are good condidates)

I pretty much do only the Micro portion and then a matte varnish - sometimes painting over elements of the decal (battle damage, scratch, highlight) to tie them in even more. :D

User avatar
Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Posts: 439

Re: A'kish Research Defence Initiative (Project Log)

Post#89 » Mar 16 2017 10:00

Phase 3 down. No more gluing for me! The rest is magnetised parts luckily, and as it is all magnetised, it can all be attached and detached, so now I can use the model on the table. This is fantastic, as I'll be partaking in a game tomorrow hopefully! It will only be with a couple of really young and amatuer friends of mine, but a game is a game :D

Image

Image

Image

Image

On another note, I've discovered a feature in a windows program called Photos. Now, usually, I open my images, I open them with Windows Photo Viewer, but there's another program in Windows 10 (not sure how many other versions it was in) called Photos. This program has an edit feature, and in that edit feature is an auto-enhance feature. This feature is now my best friend, as it really brings out the colours of the images and takes away that faded wash that comes with blasting models with insane amounts of light :D
The days of goodly English is went

User avatar
Panzer
Shas'La
Posts: 1743

Re: A'kish Research Defence Initiative (Project Log)

Post#90 » Mar 17 2017 01:18

It's also incrediby handy for easy&quick cropping of images. ;)

Return to “Project Logs”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests