A'kish Vior'la Cadre

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: A'kish Research Defence Initiative (Project Log)

Post#37 » May 20 2016 04:45

I love the new commander kit, and I'm so glad that I returned to the hobby after it came out, because if I got the finecast kit I certainly wouldn't have been happy with it after this kit came out! All these kits have such great detail :D
The days of goodly English is went
Ziss old dog still has a few tricks!

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#38 » Jul 01 2016 05:31

I FINALLY got around to working on the fourth Crisis suit to wield the Cyclic Ion Blaster and Plasma Rifle! His weapons aren't finished, but that's alright because it won't be long before I finish them too.
The next project is my new Commander. He's going to be a Buffmander, or "Raven", and so he hasn't got a single weapon or attachment on him, however I have left his arms free just incase I should ever change my mind. Its as simple as drilling and adding magnets.
In this image he's currently got weapons from another suit equipped, just for photo purposes (as seen below). This suit, while it looks the same as the others, I did a little differently. At first, I painted up the feet, legs and thighs as normal, but instead of edge highlighting the black areas with grey, I decided to cut back on effort and dry brush. It gave the same effect, just not as prolific. After doing the lower body, I lost motivation and so it was a while before I got back to it, but when I did, I did the whole torso as one, instead of doing the front and back of the torso separately. I also did the jet packs before the arms and head, as I find the torso and jet packs to be the least motivating parts, so if I got them out of the way it would be easy street the rest of the way. I had to pin the jet packs, as when I was testing out poses with blutack, the small rods that go from the jet packs into the upper body of the model snapped off, although I kinda wanted that, as pinning is a much stronger join!
Now onto the Commander! Here's a sneak peak at what to expect. He's stuck together with blutack, which is what I do with every model I prepare before painting, so that when I do paint it, I can glue it together exactly how I want to, knowing exactly how to configure it. I put all the fins for the legs and arms from the Coldstar configuration on, as well as adding and extra fin to the head, and painstakingly cutting the fins off the Coldstar jets and slotting them nice and comfortably into the Enforcer jet packs. I did this because I wasn't happy enough with all of the attachments I could put on him. They just didn't look good enough for my liking, so I decided not to use any, and just have lots of fins or antennae instead. Lastly, I added a final fin from my Broadside kit to this model's back, as seen in the picture with me holding it. I may alter the pose a little bit, but it probably won't be a noticeable amount. The reason I did all this instead of just adding normal attachments like a normal person is because I wanted something completely different, that hadn't been done before. I wanted the model to stand out, and I'm very sure it will!

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#39 » Jul 01 2016 05:53

I stumbled into this thread for the first time today and I must say, I love both your color scheme and the cleanliness of your painting. This is looking like a top notch army.

I haven't used a CIB since 4th edition, how viable are they in new games? Looking at yours, I really like how the model looks with them and may have to add some to my army.

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#40 » Jul 01 2016 06:08

Firstly, thanks for the compliments! I try to keep my painting as clean as possible, but sometimes it can get a tad difficult :) The army is a bit lacking at the moment but that's because I only really have four Crisis suits and a handful of drones. The Fire Warriors aren't included in any of my later army lists.

I love the Cyclic Ion Blaster in this edition. I only rejoined in seventh edition, so I don't know how it stood in sixth, but I love it in this one. It's strong, has a good number of shots which add up quickly in a squad, has a pretty alright range (I would prefer 24" but beggars can't be choosers) and it has the AP to punch through those annoying infantry, making quick work of squads at a time. The physical Blasters themselves, I had to buy independently, and I managed to luckily get three from one seller! The fourth one came from my new Commander kit, since I won't be using it on the Commander himself. I'm fussy when it comes to WYSIWYG, so I was sure to hunt around for the real thing. The gun also looks super awesome too, as you said! I wasn't a fan of the old metal one, nor the old metal Airbursting Frag Projector, but this time round GW has certainly crossed the bar for awesomeness.

materpillar
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#41 » Jul 01 2016 10:15

Your paint job and model poses are both fantastic. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with your riptide. Do you get many games in or are you more into the hobby aspect?
----- Akul Contingent -----
Engagement Results 54-18-8

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#42 » Jul 02 2016 06:04

I really hope to get these models on the table fairly regularly as I expand. At the moment, due to my low model count, I struggle to get games in, but that will change with time. I have a fantastic idea for my riptide, but I don't want to spoil it for anyone :D

Thanks a ton for the compliments guys, they keep me motivated!

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#43 » Jul 03 2016 03:11

Here's some progress I've made on my Commander's base. At this point (in the last image) it is ready for painting.

I used a pen, and some green stuff to create the main scene piece for my Commander's base. I want this model to stand out above the rest, so I'm putting loads of thought and effort into it!
I broke the pen, but kept the leftover pieces for future use. Initially, I tried to snap the pen, but it wouldn't break, so I had to use my wire/sprue cutters to make a clean break.
Wrapping the broken pen in green stuff. The reason I used a pen instead of just green stuff alone was mainly to conserve green stuff, but also to give the piece some strength.
Guess what it is :)
I also tried a different approach to basing as well. Usually, I'll glue down the fine sand, then the larger sand on top, but I decided to do both at the same time for a more natural effect.
Base complete, and waiting to be painted!
Last edited by Bloodknife92 on Jul 15 2016 09:47, edited 1 time in total.

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#44 » Jul 03 2016 04:37

I love it an actual project LOG!

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#45 » Jul 03 2016 04:56

Bahaha! I didn't even think of it that way! That's fantastic :D

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#46 » Jul 03 2016 08:40

Today I decided to share the custom features I added to my "Raven" Commander to be. I've added extra features to hopefully make him look more like an assisting commander or "buffmander" and less like a combat commander, and here's what I've done.
The extra fin I added to the top of the Commander's helmet is just an arm fin from the Coldstar components included in the Commander kit. Since this is my second Commander, and I didn't use them on my first one, I luckily had some spare. Before adding the fin, I tested out a customised drone antenna, but it just didn't look as great, and so I found this instead.
I really wanted to give this model as many fins and antennae as I could, so I found this component. It's not actually from the Commander kit, but rather the Broadside kit. I generally don't put all of this extra stuff onto my models, as you may notice with my Crisis suits not having shoulder pads or jet pack mounted support systems, so it really comes as an aid to have this kind of stuff leftover from previous kits. I carved out a comfortable little slot in the top, and just glued it straight on.
This is my favourite custom job. I'm really big on WYSIWYG, so I HAD to use the Enforcer suit jet packs, and not the Coldstar engines, however I wasn't satisfied with any of the possible attachments I could put onto the jet packs. I wanted something with less or no lenses, but had an awesome presence. And then it hit me! Why not take off the Coldstar fins, and put them onto the regular jet packs! oh creativity, you truly are my friend :D Having done this does give me less options for adding future attachments, but I'm very certain I won't want to add jet pack mounted attachments in the future anyway. I will be adding the hand magnets, so that I can just stick on some weapons if I ever want to alternate from the Raven Commander configuration. It's all about versatility :)

As for the rest of the model, I've added all of the regular Coldstar fins, as despite the fact that they look very aerodynamic, they also kinda look like antennae as well, so they fit in well with the Raven Commander style, or at least I think so anyway. I've base coated all of the components, now let's see if I can come up with the motivation to paint it before I start university!

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#47 » Jul 04 2016 12:49

Well to me it doesn't look much like a buffmander....at all. In fact it really looks like a slightly converted Coldstar....who would have thought after adding all those Coldstar bits! :D

It just screams to me "Hey I am a Coldstar" and not some supporting buffmander. Maybe it'll change after you've assembled him completely but I kinda doubt it.

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#48 » Jul 04 2016 01:49

Panzer wrote:Well to me it doesn't look much like a buffmander....at all. In fact it really looks like a slightly converted Coldstar....who would have thought after adding all those Coldstar bits! :D

It just screams to me "Hey I am a Coldstar" and not some supporting buffmander. Maybe it'll change after you've assembled him completely but I kinda doubt it.

It is strongly subject to perception and interpretation. It really depends on how you perceive the antennae and spines etc. On a Coldstar Commander, they're wings and fins to help the suit remain aerodynamic, while on this suit, I like to think of them as sensor spines and antennae, feeding data to the pilot to aid him in commanding his unit.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#49 » Jul 04 2016 01:58

However the antennae and spines are differently shaped than the coldstar wings. They usually don't have a tip at the end with cylinder to receive the data and they are more shaped like a rectangle than a triangle (with few exceptions).
All in all they look pretty different. At least different enough for me to get a whole different vibe from it.

Glassjaw
Shas

Post#50 » Jul 04 2016 11:11

I love little edits like this, the fins will make it stand out. It will look similar to a coldstar, the lack of weapons and it not flying will make it different enough to stand out as not a combat commander.

I've used the little spare bit from stealthsuit kits, the little objective marker or beacon or whatever it is, on top of the central intake on the back of a battlesuit.

Keep up the good work!

And project log...log? Priceless
dakka dakka dakka

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#51 » Jul 04 2016 08:00

Commander's base done! :)

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#52 » Jul 05 2016 01:48

How did you made the logs surface? It looks really good and I could use something like that for my jungle bases. :)

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#53 » Jul 05 2016 05:00

I just used the ball point tip against the green stuff. Soon after that, I used a pair of tweezers, scratching roughly and carelessly to create a random and natural look :)

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#54 » Jul 05 2016 05:10

I see. Sounds easy enough. Thanks. :D

Return to “Project Logs”