Re-entry into 40K Tau Blog

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Iasius
Shas

Re-entry into 40K Tau Blog

Post#1 » Jan 21 2016 04:25

Hey all!

As I learn how to model and paint again, (its been a very long time) I am going to post the occasional picture about it here. Nothing big or amazing, just a place to discuss and share :D

I have a topic in the 'Cadre Building' section where I am trying to formulate a plan for what I am ultimately going to be collecting.

Here's the link: http://advancedtautactica.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=24257&p=306562#p306562

So far I have a Firewarrior box set and have made two small 5 man squads out of it, as well as the missile pod turret and the drones, which are all magnetized.

The first squad.

The full box set (minus one head and drone antennas.)

The drones and turret are magnetized to accept any load out, but I haven't bothered with this box of firewarriors due to a lack of decent Dremel bits. Maybe in the future before I order more il get a decent drill bit set.

This is my disassembled Ghostkeel.

I am planning on assembling all of the limbs then spraying and painting them separately before attaching them all together. Just to make things easier. The main weapon load outs and the shoulder mounts are all magnetized too :D (Love the magnets!) I will probably magnetize the arms and waist just to make it easier and safer to transport the finished model too :D (Maybe have the option of either head if I have enough magnets....)

Oh! and I would like to hear how other people fill in the gaps and lines on their models where the pieces join. Its driving me mad!

Cheers!

Routa
Shas

Re: Re-entry into 40K Tau Blog

Post#2 » Jan 22 2016 02:33

Looks like youre off to a good start with your army.
Any thoughts on the colour scheme yet? :)
I use rather crude way to fill in the gaps, I just use plastic glue to fill little holes etc. couple coats of it if necessary and then scrape it smooth. Ive never bothered with green stuff really and this has worked charms for me.

-Routa

Iasius
Shas

Post#3 » Jan 23 2016 06:41

Thats interesting, yeah i can see how that would work :D il give it a try an see!

Im going for the new favoured white Vior'la colour scheme, but im thinking everything of seniority will have a red helmet/head like the Ghostkeel box has.

Ive never been able to paint battle damage before, but ive found some fairly decent tutorials online that should make it easier to experiment :D

n1md4
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#4 » Jan 23 2016 07:54

Iasius wrote:Oh! and I would like to hear how other people fill in the gaps and lines on their models where the pieces join. Its driving me mad!

I use an epoxy putty called Milliput. I have used it to create the wing tips of a busted Barracuda (see sig.); for example.
This is a sad day for the nobel profession of otter milking -- Knives
Onmyou's Motivation Service

Iasius
Shas

Post#5 » Jan 24 2016 03:16

I use an epoxy putty called Milliput. I have used it to create the wing tips of a busted Barracuda (see sig.); for example.

Ah cool, ive heard of that one before, is to easy to use?

Does anyone spray their models in anyone once their done to give them a protective layer? Like varnish or anything?
Last edited by Iasius on Jan 25 2016 02:39, edited 1 time in total.

n1md4
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#6 » Jan 24 2016 01:25

Iasius wrote:Ah cool, ive heard of that one before, is to easy to use?

Yes, very. It's made of 2 substances, a clay and a hardener, cut to equal portions and blended together. Adding water will stop it from drying whilst working with it. Once dry it's rock-hard too, and can then be cut and filed down. On that note, if you did use some putty don't over-use else you'll create a different job, of cutting away excess material :)

I'll likely starting filling gaps in my models next week, so keep an eye open if you want to check on the the results.
This is a sad day for the nobel profession of otter milking -- Knives
Onmyou's Motivation Service

Iasius
Shas

Post#7 » Jan 25 2016 02:47

I'l check it out man, cheers! ;)

Return to “Project Logs”