Cadre Anonymous

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Sapsi
Shas

Cadre Anonymous

Post#1 » Jan 22 2016 01:02

Hey all, first time posting here.

I decided to start this blog to motivate myself so I could maybe finally build a decent army and actually play 40k. I've never played a game in my life, though I've been more or less active in the scene since 4th edition.

I've mostly painted with dark colors, so I wanted to try something different with the Tau and went for white and orange armor and dark brown/gray clothing. Basically the more orange the figure has, higher ranking it is. I try to go with minimal weathering on the infantry and focus more on the suits and tanks.

Without further ado, here we go.

The pathfinders were my first try at the color scheme.

I'm not really satisfied with the broadside's weathering. After finishing it I tried a little different style which I like a lot more.

Next (probably) Breacher team.

Routa
Shas

Re: Cadre Anonymous

Post#2 » Jan 22 2016 02:27

Nice job with the white, I personally cant be assed to even try painting white, gotten annoyed with it on smaller bits assload of times.
Colours work perfectly and I really like all the weathering :)
Only things Id whine about are the bases, Id hightlight the skulls a little and maybe paint the edges black and Im really liking the reddishbrown on the Broad's base, would look good on the rest of them too.

-Routa

Siyath
Shas

Post#3 » Jan 23 2016 07:43

Sweet work on the weathering and props for a white paint scheme. Doing that right now myself, I know precisely how annoying it can be basically painting the model 5 times with milk-thin white to get an even finish.

I think your models, especially the Broadside, would benefit from black ink in the crevices between armour plates. It'll make the white pop out some more and add depth to the overall look. Other than that, I agree with Routa's opinion on the bases.

Looking good, keep it up.

Sapsi
Shas

Post#4 » Jan 24 2016 04:07

Nice job with the white, I personally cant be assed to even try painting white, gotten annoyed with it on smaller bits assload of times.
Colours work perfectly and I really like all the weathering :)
Only things Id whine about are the bases, Id hightlight the skulls a little and maybe paint the edges black and Im really liking the reddishbrown on the Broad's base, would look good on the rest of them too.

Thank you! It's not actually that hard painting white over a white base color, though you have to be careful painting other colors like the clothing. I always mess it up and get it onto the white parts, ending up painting like 5 layers of white anyway. :roll: I myself don't care for black base edges, hence the gray. The rest of the army will be on bases similar to the Broadside's, I also like how it turned up, though I should should highlight the skulls as you said. I'm just lazy. :P

Sweet work on the weathering and props for a white paint scheme. Doing that right now myself, I know precisely how annoying it can be basically painting the model 5 times with milk-thin white to get an even finish.

I think your models, especially the Broadside, would benefit from black ink in the crevices between armour plates. It'll make the white pop out some more and add depth to the overall look. Other than that, I agree with Routa's opinion on the bases.

Thanks! I've painted the recesses with brown wash, maybe I should make it stronger to stand out more. With suits and vehicles I'm gonna use the streaking grime more on the recesses, gotta focus more on where the grime would accumulate in real life. :)

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#5 » Jan 26 2016 03:32

Looking very good, not one for weathering personally, but really admire the detailing achieved on your figures. Welcome to the forums and look forward to your cadre expanding.

Ricordis
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#6 » Jan 28 2016 09:54

Oh yeah, white and black with orange accents!
Since I played Titanfall I started to love that colour scheme and wanted to use it on my own models. But I'm not experienced enough to paint anything without a coloring guide which tells me what colors to use.

I love it.
But there's just one thing that bothers me: weathering the Seeker Missile?
Should'nt this be the only part without weathering because of it's habit to be dangerous if harmed or being rearmed after each battle?

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#7 » Jan 28 2016 10:24

This is amazing! I'm blown away by how smooth and thin your paint job is. Not a single brush mark! Please to enlighten me as to your technique :D
Did you do the Sept markings by freehand? Or did you use transfers and weather them a bit more? They look exceptional.
Also, what was your weathering technique?

Bang up job! These guys will look fierce on the tabletop! :D

Zigmunth
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#8 » Jan 29 2016 08:01

Is this a really watered down Agrax Earthshade on the white? I really like the weathering and scuffs on metal. Very well done!

Pseudomancer
Shas

Post#9 » Jan 29 2016 08:05

Yes, please, talk us through your process! This is great technique.
The Eastern Fringe Co-prosperity Sphere wants you!

Sapsi
Shas

Post#10 » Mar 05 2016 08:02

Sorry for taking so long to respond and thank you all for the comments. :)
But there's just one thing that bothers me: weathering the Seeker Missile?
Should'nt this be the only part without weathering because of it's habit to be dangerous if harmed or being rearmed after each battle?
You're right and I just realized that after finishing the model. :sad:

This is amazing! I'm blown away by how smooth and thin your paint job is. Not a single brush mark! Please to enlighten me as to your technique :D
Did you do the Sept markings by freehand? Or did you use transfers and weather them a bit more? They look exceptional.
Also, what was your weathering technique?
Is this a really watered down Agrax Earthshade on the white? I really like the weathering and scuffs on metal. Very well done!
I use white primer, so it's quite easy to get a smooth finish on the whites. As a general rule of thumb, just paint several thin layers. The marking are all free hand, I don't really like using transfers. :P As for the weathering: On the infantry I use and a small old brush. For larger models I use a bit of foam from blister packs. The dust/dirt is made with pigments, though I got myself some Streaking Grime from AK interactive, which seems like an amazing product.

Here's the latest addition. I just noticed 9/10 of the feet are unfinished :dead: Gotta fix that.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#11 » Mar 05 2016 08:55

Orange sept markings? Guess we are sept brothers then. :D

Can't wait to see more of your guys.

Macknight
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#12 » Mar 05 2016 02:16

Ace color scheme, weathering, free hand markings; the only thing bothering me is the white primer flying rods, wished you taped them and left it clear.
For the greater good!

Ricordis
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#13 » Mar 05 2016 07:16

Keep going, I love your work.
Btw: Honour and Discipline. Sa'cea, baby!

Return to “Project Logs”