Subtle Conversions: Tau Expeditionary Force

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Two Spartan
Shas

Subtle Conversions: Tau Expeditionary Force

Post#1 » Feb 26 2016 07:23

Hello people!

When I first joined the hobby around 10 years ago, some of the first miniatures I was able to get my hands on was the starter box for the then new faction the Tau.

These models were lots of fun back then and I was proud of what I had done with them but I wanted to bring them into the new age. So in addition to stripping the paint off I decided to add some kind of minor conversion or kit-bash to each one.

Here is my first model:

[spoiler=]Remain cautious brothers.
We are far from the birth worlds and I fear this incursion will not be a routine one.
-Firewarrior Shas'ui, M'yendo[/spoiler]

Cheers for looking!

Meleck
Shas'Saal

Re: Subtle Conversions: Tau Expeditionary Force

Post#2 » Feb 26 2016 07:44

Very interesting conversion. What did you use for the legs? It makes for an interesting cold temperature Tau FireWarrior.

Two Spartan
Shas

Post#3 » Feb 26 2016 08:13

Cheers Meleck
The legs are from the fantasy high elf archer kit.

You are right this would would work great for a snow based army, never thought of that! Just switch out the legs, bulk them up with extra pouches and maybe GS some scarves for the bare headed models.

Anyway I just used them to give off a little bit of an Asian footsoldier vibe.

El ZorDacK
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Feb 26 2016 08:33

I love it!. stripping paint?, I did it with syntetic brake fluid, just as news!; hope to see more of your army soon :D

Two Spartan
Shas

Post#5 » Feb 28 2016 08:41

Thanks El ZorDack, I removed the paint of these models by submerging them for a while in Dettol Antiseptic Disinfectant Liquid, which is an amber-coloured fluid, and then brushing the paint off with an old toothbrush.

Here is a sample of the type of paint job that I had to remove from these models. They did not look too horrible on the table and I still don't mind the scheme, but they certainly weren't quite photogenic.

This rejuvenated model features a new top-knot from the old chaos marauder kit, and a new radar as the old one was damaged in the stripping process.

[spoiler=]While it is a minor system, I still don't understand how we were unable to detect anything for so many generations while we were exploring and populating the surrounding sectors.
-Transmission 2J59-00:13:09[/spoiler]

Cheers for looking =)

n1md4
Shas'La

Post#6 » Feb 28 2016 10:23

I really like the first conversion, although each time I've viewed it, I have thought the pouch looked a little out of place and not very Tau - purely aesthetic though, and I could be wrong :) Fan of subtle.

+1 Dettol method, it worked well for me too.

Two Spartan
Shas

Post#7 » Mar 02 2016 08:16

Cheers n1md4, even though I've grown to really like the pouch I see what you mean. If I were to remake that model I would chop the pouch off and raise it to be closer to the belt. I think the main issue is that it is sitting so far down like a weird purse, I really like its unique shape and structure though.

Here is another Firewarrior, made with the body and legs from the devilfish kit.

[spoiler=]Of particular interest are the abandoned dwellings, primarily made of iron based alloy and bonded aggregate. The devices found within appear to be non-functioning.[/spoiler]

Cheers for looking =)

Two Spartan
Shas

Post#8 » Mar 08 2016 07:10

Here is another Firewarrior made with High Elf Archer legs.

[spoiler=]With precise information, a forecast transcends prediction.[/spoiler]

Cheers for looking =)

Two Spartan
Shas

Post#9 » Oct 23 2016 06:44

Here are two more firewarriors, the first with a backpack from the catachan sprue and the second with an elf archer torso.

[spoiler=]The indigenous colony is still reacting hostile to our communication probes. We are unsure if they are the cause of the radar shadows.[/spoiler]
Cheers for looking =)

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre

Post#10 » Oct 23 2016 10:15

Your greenstuff skills are impressive. The sculpted parts look just like the original model when finished.

Return to “Project Logs”