Welcome to the jungle - Sa'Cea (Panzers Project Log)

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Panzer
Shas'Saal

Welcome to the jungle - Sa'Cea (Panzers Project Log)

Post#1 » May 29 2016 06:15

Hey guys.

So i've figured i could start showing my "progress" somewhere. I'm going for a jungle fighting themed Sa'Cea color scheme.
The decision to go for Sa'Cea is more or less coincidence. I thought long and hard about my color scheme and ended up with green armor since i just like green and it fits the Tau philosophy to adjust themselves to the environment. The next step was to think about a Sept color since i don't favor any particular Sept.
Eventually i figured orange would be awesome together with the green armor. Only later i learned that there actually is a Sept that uses orange as Sept color (for some reason i didn't remember them from the paint section of the codex :roll: ).
I also only later learned that there is an actual example for a jungle fighting color scheme in the Tau painting guide and mine is more like the example for the forest fighting painting scheme but whatev. I've started like this now and who says the jungle on every planet looks the same, right? :P

As mentioned before in my Membersip Profile my only other army before was Tomb Kings a few years back. That means i had literally no experience with highlighting before starting with Tau (basecoat, ink, brush and voilá a perfect skeleton :D ) and it can be seen. However i'm trying to improve myself steadily.

I'm a slow painter so there is not that much to show yet but here we go:

My first three Tau miniatures. A DS8 Smart Missile Turret, A Pulse Rifle Firewarrior and an Ethereal.

As you can see my lines are still pretty sloppy.
The base on the Turret was just to test the (for me) new texture paint of GW and will be completely re-done eventually.
One might notice half of the coat of my Ethereal is missing.....yes i managed to lose that part after painting it. I seriously don't know how i could lose something that is bright orange but oh well it still looks good without it i guess.

Next up is my Ion Hammerhead. The weapon is not magnetized but it's also not glued so i can swap it whenever i want.

The Hammerhead was actually a gift of a friend of mine. He assembled it years ago when he was way younger so it's not perfectly assembled (mostly interrior and the parts beneath it. There are also some weird holes in the plastic sometimes. All that made me really unmotivated to do my best while painting it so i did a poor job with thinning paints and stuff. But it's still good enough for now i think.
There are actually a few details i still have to do like lights, lenses, the window, missileheads of the smart missile system and a second layer of the orange on them as well.

I hope you will enjoy some of my miniatures but don't expect fast progress here. As said i'm a slow painter and lazy on top of that. :D

Edit: Just noticed i forgot some highlight-lines on the Hammerheads right side...right from where i took the picture of course. :roll:

- Panzer

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: Welcome to the jungle - Sa'Cea (Panzers Project Log)

Post#2 » May 29 2016 07:20

I wouldn't get to disheartened with the quality of second hand/old models. A bit of love and they look just as fantastic as new stuff. Most of my armies core is second hand (not put together really well) units and even more is rocking two paint jobs one on top of the other. As when I went for a full army repaint I wasn't going to spend the time stripping and repainting every unit. You can tell if you really scrutinise every model, but on the whole I think my army looks good.

I like how bold your colour scheme is and it's definitely going to stand out on the table. Once the details are done on that hammerhead very few people will pick up on the odd misaligned panel.

Varyn
Shas

Post#3 » May 31 2016 05:04

The shades of green and orange go well together, I like it.

As for your edge highlighting, it just takes practice, I think it looks better when it's less consistent, sometimes the edge highlighting can look too pristine.

Look forward to seeing more of your army. I think the colours will look good across a variety of units.

ZainNL
Shas

Post#4 » Jun 01 2016 01:53

Looks good, I wonder how it'll look on suits ;)

Are you going to add weathering as well? Since it's
the jungle after all :D

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Jun 12 2016 11:58

Hey there!
Okay i got a little bit of progress to show.

Before i start i want to clarify a few things though. I thought long and hard about magnetizing and even though i acknowledge how usefull it indeed is i've decided against it. For me a unit has much more personality if it's dedicated to one weapon loadout and since i'm not going for a competetive army/list (not yet at least) but rather for a more fluffy one i think i've made the right decision.
The other thing is that i don't have all the paint i need here (we are sharing the big paint set from GW in our group of 4 people) so there are no highlights and/or details on the next few miniatures for now. I will add them later for sure though!

A TL Fusion Blaster Crisis (Bodyguard) ... he will get a Cyclic Ion Blaster or Missile Pod eventually as well. Not sure which of them though. Planned are two more of those for a full 3 suit unit.

A double Flamer Crisis Monat

The wash on the FB Crisis turned out REALLY glossy. I was actually really mad and surprised about the bad quality of the "new" washes since back when i had my Tomb King army such a thing never happened to me. I learned later that it sometimes happens when the bottle is not shaken properly even though i shake my bottles every time before painting...it's just a habbit but it turns out to be actually usefull, who would've thought! I guess i will have to strip him in future or apply some matt varnish on him.
The second Crisis turned out fine after i've been shaking the bottle for a good 20 minutes or so...

There is one thing i want to say though. I'm surprised how limited the options to fit both the shoulder guard and a weapon on that arm or jetpack thruster are!

ZainNL wrote:Are you going to add weathering as well? Since it's
the jungle after all :D

Weathering is planned for some of the units (like the Devilfish transporter for my Breacher and the Breacher itself. Maybe the crisis as well. But i don't want to add too much weathering on most of the units i plan to add to the army like stealth suits, pathfinder and ghostkeel).

So as always i hope at least some of you enjoy what little i have to offer and thanks for all your kind words. See ya next time!

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Jun 24 2016 01:29

Hey there!

I actually planned to finish my Crisis unit and Strike Team unit first but our group decided to start a small Kill-Team campaign soon so i have to change a few things!
The other players will be Tyranids (maybe even Genestealer Cult), Space Wolves and Skitarii.

I'm probably going to start with this 200p list:

Team Leader: 53p
Vespid Strain Leader
+ Twin-Linked Rail Carbine
+ XV05 Armour
= 53p

Core: 79p
Fire Warrior
+ Pulse Blaster+FAR
= 9p

Fire Warrior
+ Pulse Blaster+FAR
= 9p

Fire Warrior
+ Pulse Blaster+FAR
= 9p

Pathfinder
+ Rail Rifle
= 26p

Pathfinder
+ Rail Rifle
= 26p

Special: 68p
Crisi Shas'ui
+ 2xFlamer
+ VRT
= 37p

Stealth Shas'ui
+ Bonding Knife
= 31p

A small but heavy hitting recon/assassination force. Breacher and a Crisis with flamer are not exactly sneaky or anything but i didn't want to spam just Pathfinder and Sniper Drone Teams. There are times where you can't be sneaky but need a hammer after all. :evil:
The Vespid Sting Leader will be a converted Firewarrior and fluff-wise turning into the Coldstar Commander i'm planning to build in the future.

And to give you guys some other stuff than just text.....some pictures!

First things first: Some of you were waiting for a picture of a suit with the edge highlighting. It's 99% done (no lenses and such yet). Imo it looks a bit overloaded since i still can't do proper fine lines...i partly blame the cheap brush i'm using.

Next up the first Breacher. I was thinking that a unit wielding the Tau equivalent of a shotgun isn't low-key anyway and they are not exactly assassines or stealth suits either who rely on stealth to get close to the enemy so they could just as well show a bit more of their flashy Sept-Color. That and i wanted them to be more easy to distinguish from the ordinary Strike Team.
Also no lenses and such yet....i really need to get my hands on those paints soon.

And last but not least my WIP Stealth Suit. I didn't see the point in painting their armor in a the environment fitting color like the other units since they use high-tech stealth technology anyway. No need for the earth caste to re-paint their armor for every assignment, right?
I do plan to paint them a nice stealth effect eventually but i want to get the baseing done at the same time so i put it on hold for a bit.

I plan to give each of them a bit of battle damage eventually but my priority for now is to get my Kill Team tabletop ready.
Hopefully you guys can forgive me for the crappy picture quality. I really need to build a proper photo box and maybe get a better cam some day (or at least take pictures with real daylight :P ).

EDIT: I'm also thinking about cutting the jetpacks off of the Crisis Suits and re-attach them slightly higher. I think it would look better and more in line with the Crisis Suit artworks? At least it would make it easier to build a shoulder mounted weapon together with the shoulder guard. >_>

Tell me what you think and see ya next time. o/

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Jan 21 2017 10:36

Welp I told you I'm slow, didn't I? :D

Anyway I half-finished some units but nothing 100% complete so far since I get distracted by other models too quick....and now I got myself the Battleforce Box as well. Not sure if that was a good idea or not but it's done now. :P

So here is my newest baby. Truth be told, the Ghostkeel and the Breacher were the models that convinced me to pick up Tau when the 'new' Codex got released.

Having to paint something to be able to assemble an awesome model is the best motivation for me. :D

Also I never realised how ridiculously small Dreadnoughts are compared to Tau mechs (damn that guy has S10 and what's basically translated to T6-9!) :eek:

I hope I'll find the time and motivation to paint&assemble the rest just as quick but i've got a lot of stuff to do at work these days. *sigh*

Return to “Project Logs”